PDA

View Full Version : The least I need to know...

Alana2000
November 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
In your opinion, If I could only do one thing to my hair to keep it healthy and help it grow, what would you suggest?

melrose1985
November 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I'm trying to grow my hair as well, and i think that if you do blow dry your hair (completely dry) and/or straighten it that that would be something to think about stopping to help let your hair grow. I have stopped doing that now and i swear my hair already feels so much less damaged and so much more silky.

Aisha25
November 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I would say the least is.. being gentle with them.

Isblå
November 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
The one thing is: Don't damage it!

I know this sounds silly, but there are so many things that are simple that you can do to avoid damage. I will mention some causes: straighteners, bleach/dye, harsh brushing, elastics with metal that gets caught in hair, too hard blowdrying, tangles. If you do/have any of these things, you will want to consider quitting or finding alternative ways to do them.

Jessikinz
November 13th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Let your hair grow natural and do it's own thing. And protecting it with updos as well.

happymommy
November 13th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Check out the "Hair Care" section under Articles. Ursula has a great article "Standard Newbie advice" you may want to check out. That whole particular section has been the most helpful for me IMO.

Islandgrrl
November 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM
In your opinion, If I could only do one thing to my hair to keep it healthy and help it grow, what would you suggest?

One thing? Leave it alone. Like don't mess with it other than to keep it clean and untangled and up out of harm's way.

Curlsgirl
November 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
It really depends on what you are currently doing to it. In my personal opinion for ME and in from own experience. This is no means an exhaustive list.

Things that are terrible for hair:

1. Repeated bleaching or coloring the same hair over and over
2. High heat (either by blowdrying or ironing)
3. Ripping through tangles with a brush or comb.
4. Letting it get dried out (not enough moisture)
5. Using a razor or dull scissors to trim or cut

Alana2000
November 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I totally agree with the whole razor cutting method being terrible for hair! My last haircut was mostly done with a razor and it killed me! It really hurt and pulled and yuk, after that cut that's when I crossed over into wanting long hair... everytime I want a haircut someone pulls out a razor thinking they know how to use it and most of the time is it dull and pulls!

I also find that most hairdressers see long hair and get sissor happy, why can't people leave people's hair alone, if its healthy leave it be.

Comfrey
November 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Gosh its hard to say. But I didnt realise that most of what I had been doing was correct before I came here. So I would say its what I didnt do which was important rather than what I did.

So dont dry it with heat. Lay off the straighteners. Dont brush. In short the one thing you can do is ignore it pretty much :D

Oh and buy a satin/silk pillowcase.

ETA, do not brush it when wet (I just took a wee look at your profile)

Erin1152
November 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Last time I got my hair cut (before finally deciding to grow) about 5 months ago, the stylist I used did my side layers with a razor, and all I noticed afterwards out in the sun was the tiny little white bumps that were all over where she used it. SO.... yeah. It's HORRIBLY damaging.

A year ago at any given time I would've had about 100 split ends. After stopping blow drying and using a heat iron, I think that's been reduced drastically. So.. yeah.. heat is number 1.

Alana2000
November 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
So why is a satin pillowcase good for hair?

lora410
November 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Scalp oil/massage treatments and vitamins. I have a hoemmade scalp oil recipe in my blog :)

Curlsgirl
November 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
So why is a satin pillowcase good for hair?

It lets your hair slide around on it instead of rubbing it therefore easier on it and reducing tangles. I don't use one. I can't stand satin to sleep on. I use a high thread count pillowcase though.

~GypsyCurls~
November 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I'd say to just 'let it be'...no heat or harsh chemicals, and work with the texture instead of against it.

Teazel
November 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Just one thing? Treat your hair like antique lace. :)

jojo
November 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I am going to say 2 things, coconut oil and air dry! they have made the condition of my hair so much nicer!

Alana2000
November 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Wow... its good to know I am doing a couple of things right... I air dry, hardly ever use a blow dryer maybe a couple of times a year, and I go a few days between washings, don't use coconut, I may start as I love the smell. I am greatful for all the input, now I need to learn how to handle critics like the MIL, who is always after me to cut my hair, I guess she thinks its a frumpy look, and its a topic for another thread I guess.