PDA

View Full Version : Cutting hair from classic length to bra strap....will that damage my hair?

longhairmaiden
March 16th, 2021, 01:33 PM
I have never had my hair grow this long. It’s a little longer than classic as it’s just going past my butt haha.

But I had tailbone length once and the hair dresser said I should take it in sessions to cut it shorter as my hair will become frizzy because of loosing all the weight from the hair. So I listened and it went fine.

the next time I had that long hair and cut it straight to armpit length and my hair turned to like pubes. Like when you break hair and it’s all bumpy. Now I had only given birth 3 months prior. So maybe it was due to hormones but I don’t want that texture hair.

is there a rule about cutting long hair to shorter? Does it damage it?

Eastbound&Down
March 16th, 2021, 02:23 PM
I have never heard that, nor have I ever had issues with my hair texture as a result of cutting larger amounts at once. I think you would be fine, just make sure that is the length you want.

Bri-Chan
March 16th, 2021, 02:35 PM
I don't think it makes sense tbh. I mean, maybe if the hairdresser doesn't use sharped scissors? Sounds rare and not length related.
Maybe when you cut from long to short you notice all at once the amount of texture you hair have without the length to weight it down? I mean, armpit is a length where the texture is very visible. So you end up with a texture you don't "know" all at once instead of understanding how to take care of it gradually?
I don't know, I'm searching reasonable answers....

JasminxCat
March 16th, 2021, 02:35 PM
I doubt it's due to cutting off large amounts, I've never heard of that. Hair texture and feel can change so that is likely the cause, it doesn't mean it's damaged. My hair looks smooth but single strands running my fingers down have that bumpy feel too, it's normal :)

Also yes, the weight of hair can change the texture, but that doesn't mean it's damaged

Trip
March 16th, 2021, 03:05 PM
What she said makes no sense lol I guess if you just chopped it with blunt scissors and didn't wash after maybe it would end up like that, but I think doing it with some nice scissors and washing it right after to set your part and everything would be fine

florenonite
March 16th, 2021, 03:33 PM
I don't think it makes sense tbh. I mean, maybe if the hairdresser doesn't use sharped scissors? Sounds rare and not length related.
Maybe when you cut from long to short you notice all at once the amount of texture you hair have without the length to weight it down? I mean, armpit is a length where the texture is very visible. So you end up with a texture you don't "know" all at once instead of understanding how to take care of it gradually?
I don't know, I'm searching reasonable answers....

This is definitely the case for me; my hair is baaarely wavy, so it's easily weighed down when long and turns into a (to me) frizzy, unmanageable mess when I suddenly cut 50cm off. It's not that cutting it all at once has MADE it frizzy, it's just that the waves are now free to explode out in all directions.

lapis_lazuli
March 16th, 2021, 03:34 PM
No, there has to be another explanation for that; no change to your ends' length would affect what's growing out of your head. I suppose reduced weight could change the way your texture presents, but I'd think it shouldn't be too drastic. Did you cut your hair yourself? It's possible your scissors were dull enough to cause damage, but a hormone-induced texture change seems more likely to me. It's common to change throughout your life and perhaps your hair has just become more coarse. Is it still like that now?

lapushka
March 16th, 2021, 04:19 PM
If that hairdresser wanted to cut in sections, and it's not one that knows you well (and how you're perhaps impulsive (not saying you are, just as an example) and do regret things like this), it's for sure more than anything a money-making thing, as he probably wanted you to come back 3/4 times instead of dealing with it once.

When we say it, we say it because you might regret it all in one go. Never cut a huge chunk off, because of regret. Go slowly, in increments, milestone by milestone.

Hormones can do very strange things to hair, and even skin. But you can't change the texture of your hair. Is it still coarse? When you say "like pubes", you are usually talking of coarse hair.

Bri-Chan
March 16th, 2021, 04:23 PM
This is definitely the case for me; my hair is baaarely wavy, so it's easily weighed down when long and turns into a (to me) frizzy, unmanageable mess when I suddenly cut 50cm off. It's not that cutting it all at once has MADE it frizzy, it's just that the waves are now free to explode out in all directions.

I actually discovered my hair has some wave not so much ago, so I never experienced wavy styling with shorter hair but now my hair has less texture than 4 inches ago. Sometimes I think about how wavy it should be at apl.

GordonMurphella
March 17th, 2021, 03:17 AM
(With apologies to School of Rock ...) How about NO. Sorry OP, but that's just ridiculous. Texture can and often will change with less weight on the hair, but damage? No, only his or her credibility.

Off to bang my head against the wall some more.

lapushka
March 17th, 2021, 04:46 AM
(With apologies to School of Rock ...) How about NO. Sorry OP, but that's just ridiculous. Texture can and often will change with less weight on the hair, but damage? No, only his or her credibility.

Off to bang my head against the wall some more.

Here, you're probably looking for this. :brickwall ;) :p