PDA

View Full Version : Having the worst frizz, knotting and texture at the crown.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 15th, 2021, 11:21 PM
I use two different silk/satin pillow cases but maybe the ones I got are just, not good quality, because I am having the absolute worst time at the crown of my head. The hair is literally standing up from frizz and friction. Im on day 6 hair and you would think the root of my head would be greasy and such but that is not the case. The roots at the crown of my head just feel like trash.
I have tried wearing my hair up at night to see if that helps, it only helps slightly.
Im not sure what else to try but I do think its causing breakage. Help?

JasminxCat
March 16th, 2021, 12:32 AM
Co washing, hot oil treatments focusing on the roots, conditioning from top to bottom instead of ears down are some things that may help. A complete top to bottom SMT treatment always seems to do the trick for frizz and reducing tangles for me. It's not always bad to deep/condition from roots down when you need to

Bri-Chan
March 16th, 2021, 02:17 AM
I'm with you! Same problem... but with me it's new hair, not just frizz, like 8 inches long hair but in the 2c-3b range against my 2a...and because of that it gets very, very tangled!

Entangled
March 16th, 2021, 02:41 AM
I personally cannot vouch for this, but after reading Igor’s Bell Tower I wonder if a leave-in of some sort might help?

Jane99
March 16th, 2021, 06:37 AM
Maybe it’s some sort of product build up that’s manifesting through the problems at your roots?

lapushka
March 16th, 2021, 07:28 AM
Going through it as we speak, and I don't know what it is I'm doing differently in my styling process after the wash, because it's then that it happens. My hair seems to halfway up the shaft not wanna hang down, but instead half of it crawls up making terrible tangles. I think it may be the gel, but then it's the same gel I've always used. I'll see if I can switch that up next week...

I'd say go look at your products first, anything different there? Maybe even switch it up, even though it's the same as always and it hasn't caused you issues before.

Clarified lately (have to ask)?

Other things that come to mind... nope... but I feel you! I really do.

I didn't want to start a thread on it, because I thought, well, it'll pass, and for sure it's a one-off. Nope. And this is something I only started to come across past classic length, and well, now I have this (and I just cut back to classic). And it's not that my conditioner wasn't moisturizing enough because I could brush through very easily.

I think it may be just the act of flipping my hair over a couple times when I style it. Yeah... that. :o

Finda
March 16th, 2021, 03:38 PM
I also have most tangles close to the scalp. I also think it's 2a and b waves at war with each other. I have no other explanation. But I have never tried using conditioner so high up. Now that I think about it, ears down are mainly tangle free. Hm, maybe I should give this a try.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 17th, 2021, 12:56 AM
Co washing, hot oil treatments focusing on the roots, conditioning from top to bottom instead of ears down are some things that may help. A complete top to bottom SMT treatment always seems to do the trick for frizz and reducing tangles for me. It's not always bad to deep/condition from roots down when you need to

Unfortunately my hair has never enjoyed SMT or co washing. My texture is so much better with more conventional treatments.
I already do olaplex, deep treat with a variety of brands from salon to drugstore.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 17th, 2021, 12:58 AM
Maybe it’s some sort of product build up that’s manifesting through the problems at your roots?

Im not sure because it only happens at night/upon waking. I honestly think I am spinning around in my sleep a lot.

Maybe I should buy a silk cap, something that moves WITH my head instead of against it when I move/toss around.

Ylva
March 17th, 2021, 03:14 AM
You mentioned you were on day 6 post-wash. Does your hair feel better the days following a wash? I know washing is primarily for the purpose of cleaning the scalp, but I just have to point out that sometimes the scalp and the hair want completely different things. Maybe your hair does well with being wetted/conditioned, "reset", a bit more often?

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 18th, 2021, 01:30 AM
You mentioned you were on day 6 post-wash. Does your hair feel better the days following a wash? I know washing is primarily for the purpose of cleaning the scalp, but I just have to point out that sometimes the scalp and the hair want completely different things. Maybe your hair does well with being wetted/conditioned, "reset", a bit more often?

It depends on what products I used on my hair on wash day. And also how I style my hair. (curly or straight)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 18th, 2021, 09:22 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/63rq42ZP/IMG-0676.jpg

A photo of how the top of my head looked today. It feels like... static.

stardust lady
March 18th, 2021, 10:26 PM
My hair looks like that when the humidity starts climbing into the 80s.

Rowdy
March 18th, 2021, 10:49 PM
From the picture it kind of seems like that hair is a different texture? I have really irregular wiry hair (It's completely different than the rest of my head, doesn't seem to have a curl pattern) just at my crown, about a 2 inch spot and it looks pretty similar to that.

MusicalSpoons
March 19th, 2021, 09:14 AM
I have no advice for you but just wanted to say it's really nice to see you around here again Rebeccalaurenxx :blossom:

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 21st, 2021, 01:26 AM
Its day 3 post wash day and my roots are less frizzy? Im going to finally clarify tomorrow, do some treatments and then update.
I may need to stop using shea moisture products. Its worse when I use the drug store products I still have laying around. Dont know why.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 25th, 2021, 12:40 AM
Clarifying did not work. I think this is caused by the pillowcase so im going to look for a new one...

MusicalSpoons
March 25th, 2021, 03:32 PM
Clarifying did not work. I think this is caused by the pillowcase so im going to look for a new one...

What pillowcase do you currently use? (I seem to recall you saying that cheap synthetic satin didn't agree with you so I'm not going to suggest that.)

lapushka
March 25th, 2021, 06:52 PM
I put my oil rinse on my entire lengths instead of the last 6-8 inches and I did not have one bit of tangling in my hair. I was experiencing it too lately, and couldn't figure it out. Maybe try oil rinsing? Don't overdo the oil though; 5-10 drops is enough.

MusicalSpoons
March 25th, 2021, 07:00 PM
I put my oil rinse on my entire lengths instead of the last 6-8 inches and I did not have one bit of tangling in my hair. I was experiencing it too lately, and couldn't figure it out. Maybe try oil rinsing? Don't overdo the oil though; 5-10 drops is enough.

I don't know that that would help with problems at the crown though :wink:

renia22
March 25th, 2021, 08:44 PM
Do you by any chance use the Tangle Teaser? I noticed when I was using one, I had a lot of areas like that. They grew back when I stopped.

lapushka
March 26th, 2021, 07:04 AM
I don't know that that would help with problems at the crown though :wink:

It's at the root? Weird.

NicoleLionne
March 26th, 2021, 09:57 AM
You mentioned a sleepcap on the first page, have you tried that yet?

I used to have a lot of frizz and tangles at my crown and canopy before I started using a satin sleepcap with a really secure elastic (took the original out and replaced it with a much wider band, otherwise it's gone in seconds). I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, enough that my boyfriend wonder how I get any sleep at all. Satin pillowcases didn't come close to the difference a sleepcap/bonnet makes. Especially if I put my hair in two (regular) braids and the cap on top, there's next to no frizz.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 29th, 2021, 12:38 AM
Do you by any chance use the Tangle Teaser? I noticed when I was using one, I had a lot of areas like that. They grew back when I stopped.

No, I do not use a tangle teezer. I use a wide tooth comb.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 29th, 2021, 12:40 AM
You mentioned a sleepcap on the first page, have you tried that yet?

I used to have a lot of frizz and tangles at my crown and canopy before I started using a satin sleepcap with a really secure elastic (took the original out and replaced it with a much wider band, otherwise it's gone in seconds). I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, enough that my boyfriend wonder how I get any sleep at all. Satin pillowcases didn't come close to the difference a sleepcap/bonnet makes. Especially if I put my hair in two (regular) braids and the cap on top, there's next to no frizz.

Do you have a recommendation on where to buy one? I havent bought one yet, but this is looking like its the answer because the frizz is fine the entire wash day then I go to sleep and the crown of my head is a hot mess. I think I am literally spinning in my sleep... lol