PDA

View Full Version : How to stimulate *more* sebum production?

MagusBride
March 14th, 2021, 07:47 AM
Hello, does anyone know of a way to stimulate more sebum production on the scalp? I have naturally dry skin in general, including the face and scalp. I have the opposite problem of a person who is naturally oily.

I of course add supplemental oils, such as olive or jojoba oil. But no substitute is as good as the real thing, natural sebum. I'd like to produce more sebum.

I wash my hair only once per week and do not strip it, I have also tried water-only washing. Those things have helped a little bit, but not as much as I'd like.

Feral_
March 14th, 2021, 08:26 AM
This can be a tricky one as it depends on your scalp. Some advocate a BBB increases it - I found the opposite, it stripped sebum from my hair length.

I do SO and I’ve found the only way to increase mine is by scalp massaging, then using my fingers to ‘comb’ through small sections of hair. In the earlier stages of SO when I did that in the evening my hair would have a decent coating of sebum in it.

I’m at the stage now - I think - where my scalp produces just the right amount of sebum, so if I want more, for example on my ends, I have to add hair salve.

Siv
March 14th, 2021, 09:58 AM
This can be a tricky one as it depends on your scalp. Some advocate a BBB increases it - I found the opposite, it stripped sebum from my hair length.

I do SO and I’ve found the only way to increase mine is by scalp massaging, then using my fingers to ‘comb’ through small sections of hair. In the earlier stages of SO when I did that in the evening my hair would have a decent coating of sebum in it.

I’m at the stage now - I think - where my scalp produces just the right amount of sebum, so if I want more, for example on my ends, I have to add hair salve.

I was going to suggest this too! When I massage my scalp I get too much sebum, as I already have enough to begin with. I thought sebum on the fingers was sort of transfered on to the scalp when you do a massage, not necessarily that it makes your scalp produce more sebum. I dunno, both explanations make sense to me though, and as long as it works! :shrug:

MagusBride
March 14th, 2021, 10:03 AM
I'm sorry, what does SO stand for?

Feral_
March 14th, 2021, 10:15 AM

Sebum Only. Not using shampoo or conditioner but instead the hair’s natural oil (sebum) to keep it clean and healthy.

lapushka
March 14th, 2021, 10:44 AM

Since Feral has already answered you; have to add: there's a list on the forum with all the commonly used abbreviations. I think it's even linked in a sticky. If you go up the "mane" forum, I think it may be found there? If I'm not mistaken. :)

apollosdrawer
March 14th, 2021, 11:11 AM
In my experience, I'll have more sebum than I'll ever need if I massage my scalp a certain way. I tend to have an oily scalp and dry ends.

Take your hands and lay them flat on your scalp, covering as much surface area as possible,, and just gently move your scalp around (not really moving your hands but Pulling at your scalp a bit in circles, don'tlift your hands but don't mess your hair), until your head starts to feel warm. Once your head feels quite warm, you can do a normal scalp massage using your fingertips and spreading it around. You could probably repeat the first step of warming your head a few times if you feel it is nessecary.

If you're like me, after a more intensive massage doing this, about 15 minutes, your fingertips and combs/brushes will be shiny or actually slick/wet with sebum.

My sebum tends to be a bit thicker I think, so the intense warming is partly just "melting" it and making it free to be brushed along my hair shaft. But I can't do this technique more than twice a week, or my hair will get so oily I have trouble removing any excess sebum, so I know it also stimulates more sebum production for me too.

A light scritching of the scalp before I massage also helps me a lot. Just gently drag your fingernails along your scalp a few times, without causing any discomfort or scratching.

The sebum only thread definitely has some great tips too!! Everyone is different so it takes some experimenting to find your perfect method.

Definitely let me know if my method works for you!

EdG
March 14th, 2021, 11:21 AM
I find that eating foods with olive oil causes oil to be exuded from the pores. Maybe try more olive oil in your diet?

Oddly enough, the heavier coconut oil does not get exuded from the pores as easily.
Ed