PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting highlights

Stardreamer
March 10th, 2021, 05:12 PM
I want to dye the lower half of my hair blue as I have wanted for the past 3 years but it's not possible, and I don't want to bleach my hair in preparation for that now, but I want to switch up my brown hair a bit.

I have natural light brown or kind of blonde bits of hair at the sides of my head
https://i.postimg.cc/MpQ5yykg/IMG-20210311-115515-3.jpg

Which I like a lot and those lighter coloured bits grow naturally so if I get highlights I want to avoid highlighting those bits. So maybe I should get a sort of caramel brown highlight or just a different colour. My hair isn't chocolate brown and turns out a different colour in pictures a lot.

Do you have any advice for highlights? And does it sound like plain old hair boredom? I want to stay away from bleaching the lower half of my hair until I can dye it blue but Idk..

Dark40
March 10th, 2021, 05:58 PM
I think if you really want highlights you can use any blonde box dye, and then use manic panic in blue over it. I think that would work for you.

DropStitches
March 11th, 2021, 01:05 AM
I’d recommend going to a professional - diy highlights are difficult to get right, and can look very stripy!

If you’re desperate to get something done, maybe you could look into balayage? I think (if it’s done well) it grows out more forgivingly than highlights, so it’s less of a pain to maintain.

If you were really committed to highlights, I think you might need to go in for a root retouch every 4-6 weeks, which gets expensive fast! So whatever you decide on, think of it as an ongoing cost, rather than a one-and-done situation.

Good luck with your decision - you’ve got gorgeous hair, so think carefully about what you want to do!

Stardreamer
March 11th, 2021, 06:16 PM
I’d recommend going to a professional - diy highlights are difficult to get right, and can look very stripy!

If you’re desperate to get something done, maybe you could look into balayage? I think (if it’s done well) it grows out more forgivingly than highlights, so it’s less of a pain to maintain.

If you were really committed to highlights, I think you might need to go in for a root retouch every 4-6 weeks, which gets expensive fast! So whatever you decide on, think of it as an ongoing cost, rather than a one-and-done situation.

Good luck with your decision - you’ve got gorgeous hair, so think carefully about what you want to do!

Does highlighted hair look fine if you get it done once and then don't maintain the roots?

Ylva
March 12th, 2021, 03:37 AM
Does highlighted hair look fine if you get it done once and then don't maintain the roots?

It should, yes. Highlighted hair is among the most pleasant ones to grow out.

Feral_
March 12th, 2021, 06:40 AM
If you get the highlights weaved in, sort of under and over your hair then it will look natural and also there will be no line when you’re growing them out. I saw a hairdresser do it using foils on a girl with TBL dark blonde hair back in the day when I used to go for haircuts. She used the end of a metal comb to pick up some hair, like a weaving technique, before putting the foil and highlight stuff on. I was intrigued, so asked about it! Good luck whatever you decide.

tekla
March 12th, 2021, 06:50 AM
If you get the highlights weaved in, sort of under and over your hair then it will look natural and also there will be no line when you’re growing them out. I saw a hairdresser do it using foils on a girl with TBL dark blonde hair back in the day when I used to go for haircuts. She used the end of a metal comb to pick up some hair, like a weaving technique, before putting the foil and highlight stuff on. I was intrigued, so asked about it! Good luck whatever you decide.

With this technique there won't be a harsh line between highlighted hair and roots. I would recommend going to a hair stylist who is known for highlighting skills (not every stylist knows how to highlight properly!) and tell them about your possible future plans so that they can choose the right colors and techniques. Highlighting at home can be difficult.

lapushka
March 12th, 2021, 07:09 AM
It should, yes. Highlighted hair is among the most pleasant ones to grow out.

It depends on how it's done, if it's a nice half set should be easier than a full set, I think. And thin "stripes", more like balayage style is something I would personally go for.

I have seen some bad highlights in my day, mostly in the 90s where these big stripes were all of a sudden popular.

SleepyTangles
March 12th, 2021, 10:09 AM
I want to dye the lower half of my hair blue as I have wanted for the past 3 years but it's not possible, and I don't want to bleach my hair in preparation for that now, but I want to switch up my brown hair a bit.

I have natural light brown or kind of blonde bits of hair at the sides of my head
https://i.postimg.cc/MpQ5yykg/IMG-20210311-115515-3.jpg

Which I like a lot and those lighter coloured bits grow naturally so if I get highlights I want to avoid highlighting those bits. So maybe I should get a sort of caramel brown highlight or just a different colour. My hair isn't chocolate brown and turns out a different colour in pictures a lot.

Do you have any advice for highlights? And does it sound like plain old hair boredom? I want to stay away from bleaching the lower half of my hair until I can dye it blue but Idk..

Highlights sound totally fun and pretty to me! My advice is going to a professional and explaining you want the highlights to grow out seamlessly, so they can choose the best technique and placement.

Just careful: it's very difficult to bleach over highlights with no breakage, so maybe it's better to talk about your long-term goals as well.

I really like your natural highlights/moneypiece! Perfect color variation :crush:

Stardreamer
March 13th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Thank you :)

morrigan*
March 19th, 2021, 12:17 PM
This sounds like it would be super pretty. I don't have other advice than to research a stylist before and be picky. Oh, and good luck!

geenie
March 26th, 2021, 02:12 AM
I've had highlights for all of my adult life. Just half head. My hair is already quite fair so it does not take long to lift. They are easy to grow out (get a root smudge). They are har to try and do at home (like very fiddly). But if your heart is set on blue tips, that's what you should do. I'm afraid before dying hair any bright colour you'll need to bleach it. Use lots of oil treatments and masks.