PDA

View Full Version : Your Current Style For Sleeping

Trip
March 10th, 2021, 01:48 PM
I'm curious to know how you all choose to handle your hair for bed. My hair is officially too long to sleep with it down without it getting caught under me or in my face. Silk pillowcase has been my way til now and I need to figure something else out.
Do you braid yours, wear a bun, use a sleeping cap etc.? and why?

Bri-Chan
March 10th, 2021, 02:37 PM
I own a satin pillow case. If my hair is clean and there is the possibility that I'll wear it down on the next day, I do a ponytail on the top of my head while staying upside down, with an invisibubble. I put the pony on the higher part of my pillow.
In any other situation, I wear a braid (often a side braid) or I do a nautilus bun while staying upside down on the top of the head, secured with a stick.

Lesley8
March 10th, 2021, 02:56 PM
I have a silk pillowcase and my hair is always braided as well :)

foreveryours
March 10th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Satin pillowcase. I wear a braid all day long but I can't sleep in one. I throw my hair loose and all free over the end of the bed before shutting down.

lapis_lazuli
March 10th, 2021, 03:10 PM
Lazy wrap bun (though mine is done vertically, stick slightly offset from my neck). It's my day style too and I find it comfortable to lie on. I toss and turn at night so it's chaotic to have my hair down in any form, not to mention tangles and that I'd probably cause damage from moving so much.

cestlavie
March 10th, 2021, 03:17 PM
I sleep on a silk pillow case and I wear my hair in a bun on the top of my head secured with two small claw clips. I toss and turn a lot and nothing is in the way.

Roses-at-dawn
March 10th, 2021, 03:27 PM
I use a silk sleep cap and put my hair into a pseudo bun(unsecured) under it. Hair is always in exactly the condition it went into the cap in even if it's 16 hours later.

Jane99
March 10th, 2021, 04:21 PM
This is a great question! I’m trying to find a good sleep style also. Something that doesn’t involve a stick. I wonder if sleeping on a braid is causing me breakage from the pressure associated with tossing and turning

Hairkay
March 10th, 2021, 04:25 PM
Plaits/twists in a satin bonnet works well for me.

Cg
March 10th, 2021, 04:39 PM
I roll my hair up and shove it just loose into a cheap satin sleep bonnet made for long hair. No fuss, almost no cost, and no tangles.

Stardreamer
March 10th, 2021, 04:59 PM
Dutch braid, BSL hair. Easy to brush in mornings because my hair is curly.

JasminxCat
March 10th, 2021, 05:08 PM
I was doing 2 side braids before bed since it was the most protective as I toss and turn a lot at night, but I'm getting sick of braid waves, it never looked good on me. Now I just stick with top knots, but the way it makes my hair fall when I take it down the next day looks a mess. I'm working on finding a protective style that makes my hair look good the next day. I might try a loose ponytail on top of my head with a silk scrunchie and lay it flat against my pillow, but I'm afraid of the awkward bend in the hair it might give

Jane99
March 10th, 2021, 05:45 PM
Jasminx, when you braided your hair did you do dutch or french braids or the other more basic braid where you gather your hair and just braid from the nape of the neck (is that an English braid?)

knobbly
March 10th, 2021, 06:27 PM
I rotate styles for nighttime:

Twisted cinnabun held with 3 long spin pins
English braided topknot cinnabun held with a short quattro fork
Same as option two but with a French braid beginning at the nape of my neck and ending at my crown
LWB topknot held with a slightly longer quattro fork (this one falls out reliably in the middle of the night but I still do it haha)

All options worn with a silk satin lined beanie unless it’s mega hot. I sleep on a silk satin pillowcase.

Trip
March 10th, 2021, 06:32 PM
Welp, just bought a silk cap while I was at walgreens I'm gonna start wearing it while I cycle through braids and buns to try and find what suits me. And because I don't wanna stress my roots being i the same style every night

knobbly
March 10th, 2021, 06:35 PM
I roll my hair up and shove it just loose into a cheap satin sleep bonnet made for long hair. No fuss, almost no cost, and no tangles.

This is my dream. I’ve never found the right cap though. The weight of my hair pulls all the caps I’ve tried off in an hour or so. I so long to not have to contain the beast at night!!

Flittingsis
March 10th, 2021, 06:52 PM
Inverted regular braid, clipped behind the base of the braid. My length is only just BSL so this works. Once it gets longer I don't know what I'll do. I tried a top bun, but that hurt too much. Loose it just is in the way. I sleep on my back now, so a regular braid doesn't work.

Handel'sWig
March 10th, 2021, 07:08 PM
Wash days, loose side ponytail. Other days, single English braid. I don’t like how the braid makes my hair look when I take it out but it is very comfortable and protective so I haven’t found any better solution.

baanoo
March 10th, 2021, 07:10 PM
Hypothetically: braided or in a scrunchie-bun

In practice, more nights than I care to admit: loose and draped back over my pillow because I hate the feeling of a bun or braid when I’m asleep

But! I do use silk satin pillowcases so that counts for something right?

KokoroDragon
March 10th, 2021, 08:39 PM
I mostly sleep in a single English braid, but recently I've started wearing a LWB to sleep once in a while. I don't use a satin bonnet or pillowcase, but I probably should.

SelenVinland
March 10th, 2021, 09:31 PM
How do y’all sleep with hairsticks? Do I just move around a lot or own ridiculously long hair sticks?? (Both perhaps?)

I typically sleep with my hair in two French braids. Sometimes I get lazy and try to get away with a single French braid or an English braid, but my hair is too short for those and they always look a mess in the morning :lol:

PeonyBlue
March 10th, 2021, 09:43 PM
I can't imagine sleeping with a hairstick...I'm convinced it'll end up poking out my ear!

I'm another in the satin pillow case brigade, and because I'm lazy I usually just flip my hair over the pillow and let it hang down over the edge of the mattress. If my hair starts to get a bit longer I may have to rethink the free hang, cause I'm pretty sure there's a colony of dust bunnies breeding down there and I don't need them colonizing my hair! On the occasional day I've sported a plait, I'll tend to leave that in overnight (did I mention I'm lazy?)

I recently picked up a satin sleep turban, but that ended up behind the bed with those dust bunnies. Sometimes after an evening wash, I'll leave it plopped in a turban, and I don't think that's ever lasted the night, either. I'm also thinking of trying to make a tulle turban to see if that helps it to dry in its plopped state overnight. If I make it myself, I might even find a way to make it stay on overnight!

JasminxCat
March 10th, 2021, 09:52 PM
Jasminx, when you braided your hair did you do dutch or french braids or the other more basic braid where you gather your hair and just braid from the nape of the neck (is that an English braid?)

Just the basic double English braids. Sometimes will do double French braids

MusicalSpoons
March 10th, 2021, 10:04 PM
Satin pillowcase, loose satin cap (tight rubbed away at my hairline, then was starting to cause wrinkles if I wore it lower down my forehead) with a vertically held bun underneath.

Welp, just bought a silk cap while I was at walgreens I'm gonna start wearing it while I cycle through braids and buns to try and find what suits me. And because I don't wanna stress my roots being i the same style every night

I see this notion quite often but I basically live in the same bun, same placement, same fork day and night at the moment - and over the past few months it has been literally the same bun, untouched and not redone for 2 or 3 days. It's very secure but certainly not tight at the roots, hence not generally needing to be redone every day. I haven't had any complaints from my scalp or hair :lol:

lapis_lazuli
March 10th, 2021, 10:38 PM
I see this notion quite often but I basically live in the same bun, same placement, same fork day and night at the moment - and over the past few months it has been literally the same bun, untouched and not redone for 2 or 3 days. It's very secure but certainly not tight at the roots, hence not generally needing to be redone every day. I haven't had any complaints from my scalp or hair :lol:

Me too. I've done the same bun almost every day for....5 years? No problems. (well, unless my lack of creativity is a problem :lol:)

Ylva
March 11th, 2021, 07:05 AM
While sleeping, my hair is either
a) loose, gathered behind my head over the pillow, or
b) in two English braids.

I could never imagine sleeping in any kind of a bun.

Feral_
March 11th, 2021, 07:32 AM
Mine used to be in a high English plait starting on the top of my head, but as my hair’s got longer I feel the weight of the braid tugging on my scalp. So now it’s a high cinnabun with a satin scrunchie folded twice around the hair. Doesn’t get in the way of my pillow. Bedding is microfibre so very smooth. Often this bun is presentable enough for the next day too.

Cg
March 11th, 2021, 08:12 AM
This is my dream. I’ve never found the right cap though. The weight of my hair pulls all the caps I’ve tried off in an hour or so. I so long to not have to contain the beast at night!!

I use these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8GM87R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). My method is to invert, roll hair up to scalp, insert into cap upside down (so the band seam is on forehead, not nape). The upside down cap seems to sort of equalize the direction of pull when wearing it.

floridaorchid
March 11th, 2021, 08:22 AM
I second Cg!
I found these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y7VJZCF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) a while back! I really like them as it came with a satin scrunchie! It stays on better than caps in my experience.

AmaryllisRed
March 11th, 2021, 08:25 AM
Down or a single English braid.

TatsuOni
March 11th, 2021, 09:03 AM
Sleep cap. I've made one in silk and one in satin so far. And I alsp sleep on satin pillowcases.

Finda
March 11th, 2021, 11:34 AM
I used to sleep in an english braid, which I now put in a silk tail bag. Keeps the ends soft und kink free. I also have a small metal fork for top knots. But I only do this when I have pre poo oil in my hair. It's very uncomfortable wearing a bun for sleeping.

knobbly
March 11th, 2021, 02:43 PM
I use these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8GM87R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). My method is to invert, roll hair up to scalp, insert into cap upside down (so the band seam is on forehead, not nape). The upside down cap seems to sort of equalize the direction of pull when wearing it.

I second Cg!
I found these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y7VJZCF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) a while back! I really like them as it came with a satin scrunchie! It stays on better than caps in my experience.

Thank you so much both of you! I have never seen a sleep cap that size lol! Maybe it’ll work.

Flittingsis
March 11th, 2021, 04:09 PM
Inverted regular braid, clipped behind the base of the braid. My length is only just BSL so this works. Once it gets longer I don't know what I'll do. I tried a top bun, but that hurt too much. Loose it just is in the way. I sleep on my back now, so a regular braid doesn't work.
I forgot to mention that I sleep with a cashmere beanie on when it is cold. I am going to start looking at silk caps, but I don't notice that the beanie does any good or bad. There is a little fuzz in my morning brush out, but not a ton.

floridaorchid
March 11th, 2021, 04:44 PM
Thank you so much both of you! I have never seen a sleep cap that size lol! Maybe it’ll work.

Good luck!!
I hope to hear an update if you try it! :)

Trip
March 11th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Satin pillowcase, loose satin cap (tight rubbed away at my hairline, then was starting to cause wrinkles if I wore it lower down my forehead) with a vertically held bun underneath.

Me too. I've done the same bun almost every day for....5 years? No problems. (well, unless my lack of creativity is a problem :lol:)

Hmmmm this gives me a lot of relief to hear from you guys must have heard that from some other overly paranoid people like me lol.

Trip
March 11th, 2021, 07:33 PM
Update the sleep cap fell off at some point in the night and traveled pretty far was under my boyfriend when we woke up. lol. I'll try it a few more nights to see what ways work to keep it on otherwise might be sticking to the pillowcase+protective style without it.
Side-note the picture on the box was a regular shower-cap looking thing and when I opened it it was more like a men's durag. I looked like kip from napoleon dynamite LOL

knobbly
March 11th, 2021, 08:35 PM
Hmmmm this gives me a lot of relief to hear from you guys must have heard that from some other overly paranoid people like me lol.

I vary my sleep style but honestly it’s more for my scalp’s benefit than my hair.

sapphire-o
March 11th, 2021, 08:51 PM
A loose ponytail with a scrunchie. Just regular pillowcases. My hair doesn't tangle so it works for me. :) Sometimes the scrunchie would slip off during the night and I just gather my hair and put it into a ponytail again.

catysue
March 11th, 2021, 10:01 PM
I do have a satin pillowcase but it was kind of cheap and I found my hair was still getting really frazzled overnight in my usual sleep style of braided pigtails. So lately I've been using a satin bonnet and just twisting my hair into a loose bun with no elastic or scrunchie before I put the bonnet on. This has been great for me as it's comfortable to sleep on, gives nice waves in the morning, and really protects my hair well.

Arciela
March 11th, 2021, 10:22 PM
I put a little bit of vatika coconut oil on my hair then put it in a silk sleeping cap. When I wake up my hair is very silky and smooth. It's like a deep treatment overnight.

It's hit or miss though, sometimes the cap falls off in the middle of the night. I probably need a new one :lol:

SleepyTangles
March 12th, 2021, 12:20 AM
My current sleep hairstyle is lace braids. I still can't do a single braid, as the bits near my face escape during the night.
I also sleep with a silk scarf tied around my pillow.

pisces1480
March 13th, 2021, 06:43 PM
I wear my hair down and use a silk pillowcase.

xel
March 14th, 2021, 12:01 PM
I've certainly tried silk bonnets before, but they fall off my head most of the time! I'm wondering if the traditional tie-style bonnets would be better than elastic ones for sleep. Nowadays I use a silk pillowcase and put my hair up and behind my head, such that the length hangs of the bed. It's comfortable and prevents major tangling for me, but I worry that my hair will touch the floor soon!

neko_kawaii
March 14th, 2021, 12:10 PM
I've certainly tried silk bonnets before, but they fall off my head most of the time! I'm wondering if the traditional tie-style bonnets would be better than elastic ones for sleep. Nowadays I use a silk pillowcase and put my hair up and behind my head, such that the length hangs of the bed. It's comfortable and prevents major tangling for me, but I worry that my hair will touch the floor soon!

You can try a tied version, my first cap was that style. I found the ties to be bulky and made an elastic version instead. I found that wearing an elastic cap had a learning curve to keeping it on. After about a month of wearing it consistently it stayed on more often than not. I've been sleeping in the same style cap for many years now (on a satin cap after completely wearing out my first silk one - poor thing was in tatters) and every now and then I am conscious enough when I roll over to be aware that I've adjusted the cap in the process.

I seem to recall someone saying that they would pull off their cap and throw it across the room in their sleep, so caps don't work for everyone!

MusicalSpoons
March 14th, 2021, 01:36 PM
You can try a tied version, my first cap was that style. I found the ties to be bulky and made an elastic version instead. I found that wearing an elastic cap had a learning curve to keeping it on. After about a month of wearing it consistently it stayed on more often than not. I've been sleeping in the same style cap for many years now (on a satin cap after completely wearing out my first silk one - poor thing was in tatters) and every now and then I am conscious enough when I roll over to be aware that I've adjusted the cap in the process.

I seem to recall someone saying that they would pull off their cap and throw it across the room in their sleep, so caps don't work for everyone!

I know they're usually designed to go at the back, but I'm sure most could be turned around so the ties are at the front, out of the way.

neko_kawaii
March 14th, 2021, 01:48 PM
I know they're usually designed to go at the back, but I'm sure most could be turned around so the ties are at the front, out of the way.

Yep, and then the ties dangle in your face. I think I tried them on the side too, but part of the problem with that specific cap was that it was designed to be roomer in the back to accommodate the loose hair, and when that was turned to another position it fit funny. Good thing there are lots of options so there is probably a solution out there for each of us.

MusicalSpoons
March 17th, 2021, 11:24 AM
Yep, and then the ties dangle in your face. I think I tried them on the side too, but part of the problem with that specific cap was that it was designed to be roomer in the back to accommodate the loose hair, and when that was turned to another position it fit funny. Good thing there are lots of options so there is probably a solution out there for each of us.

Good points, didn't think of those. And agreed!

Dutchbraids
March 17th, 2021, 01:14 PM
Depends on whether my hair is wet or dry. If it's dry, I'll either do a loose english braid, or a dutch braid. When it's wet, its too much trouble, so I stick a silk bonnet on, and then tie a tshirt over that.

BuddhaBelle
March 17th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Satin pillowcase, loose satin cap (tight rubbed away at my hairline, then was starting to cause wrinkles if I wore it lower down my forehead) with a vertically held bun underneath. I see this notion quite often but I basically live in the same bun, same placement, same fork day and night at the moment - and over the past few months it has been literally the same bun, untouched and not redone for 2 or 3 days. It's very secure but certainly not tight at the roots, hence not generally needing to be redone every day. I haven't had any complaints from my scalp or hair :lol: What is this magic bun that stays so well?

qnlizbeth
March 17th, 2021, 02:13 PM
I use a satin pillowcase. Generally I always do an English braid, whether my hair is wet or dry. Wet, I'll braid in leave-in conditioner, and dry I'll usually put some oil on it. I'd like to start experimenting with a loose bun, since sometimes my braid gets under me and the lumpiness wakes me up.

MusicalSpoons
March 17th, 2021, 04:04 PM
What is this magic bun that stays so well?

Nessa bun with 4-prong fork :) It seems to be particularly secure with lots of length wrapped and better contained under the loop than with a LWB or nautilus.

Feral_
March 18th, 2021, 01:08 AM
Nessa bun with 4-prong fork :) It seems to be particularly secure with lots of length wrapped and better contained under the loop than with a LWB or nautilus.

A four prong fork.. How do you not feel that in your hair while sleeping ‘Spoons? I can’t sleep with anything other than a scrunchie if it’s in a bun :hmm:

MusicalSpoons
March 18th, 2021, 08:55 AM
A four prong fork.. How do you not feel that in your hair while sleeping ‘Spoons? I can’t sleep with anything other than a scrunchie if it’s in a bun :hmm:

It's narrower than my bun and not much longer than it, held vertically, and I tend to sleep on my side - but even if I lay on my back, I still only feel the bun, not the fork. In centreheld wrapped buns like this the fork isn't against my scalp.

xkambyx
March 18th, 2021, 10:09 AM
I don't really have a sleep style but I do use a silk hat thing... My hair is always smooth and quite shiny when I wake up compared to if I don't wear it. My hair is just brushing below my shoulders now

floridaorchid
March 18th, 2021, 02:38 PM
I don't really have a sleep style but I do use a silk hat thing... My hair is always smooth and quite shiny when I wake up compared to if I don't wear it. My hair is just brushing below my shoulders now

Very similar! I usually try to braid it before I put on the silk bonnet, but if I'm lazy it just gets shoved in.

Neoma
March 18th, 2021, 04:00 PM
My hair is almost hip-length and I get tangled up in my sleep braid, even if I make a side braid.

Lately, I've been making a scrunchie top-knot with a small silk scrunchie. I'm not entirely happy with this style since my bun slides around the top of my head. But at least my hair doesn't strangle me.

Leeni
March 18th, 2021, 04:45 PM
Satin pillowcase and a single or double English braids