PDA

View Full Version : Major trim at home, should I chop?

Isilme
March 9th, 2021, 06:53 PM
I'm considering a major trim at home! This time last year I had decided to visit a hairdresser for the first time in several years, but then the pandemic hit and of course I couldn't go at all. Right now my hair is classic plus and I feel like I'm wearing it up all the time not doing anything special or enjoying it. Ideally I'd want it to be a lot shorter, between tailbone and waist so still long by most people's opinions. So I'm asking if anyone has done such a big trim themselves and be happy with it, I'd also want some layers in there but I am not confident doing that myself. Perhaps I should wait until the state of the world is more safe and go to a salon, but then I could go all summer and well into autumn with hair I have grown tired of. Is it time to be brave and chop or sit on my hands?

Eastbound&Down
March 9th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Well, its truly up to you. But! If you really want to cut, I would go with the longest length you are comfortable with, you mentioned TBL. If you cut back to TBL and find that you love it you haven't lost too much, whereas cutting all the way back to waist in one go you could regret. As for layers, you can try the ponytail method, there are various tutorial videos out there. Good luck! I cut from waist to collarbone a few years ago at home and at the time it was so liberating.

Hasse
March 9th, 2021, 11:33 PM
I second that, go to the longest length you're comfortable with :). If you want to cut it yourself, go for it! I personally like that more than going to a hairdresser.

Siv
March 9th, 2021, 11:48 PM
I prefer doing things myself too, and I use one of Feye's methods though I'm not sure she has any methods for layers

SleepyTangles
March 10th, 2021, 02:28 AM
I'm considering a major trim at home! This time last year I had decided to visit a hairdresser for the first time in several years, but then the pandemic hit and of course I couldn't go at all. Right now my hair is classic plus and I feel like I'm wearing it up all the time not doing anything special or enjoying it. Ideally I'd want it to be a lot shorter, between tailbone and waist so still long by most people's opinions. So I'm asking if anyone has done such a big trim themselves and be happy with it, I'd also want some layers in there but I am not confident doing that myself. Perhaps I should wait until the state of the world is more safe and go to a salon, but then I could go all summer and well into autumn with hair I have grown tired of. Is it time to be brave and chop or sit on my hands?

Hello Isilme!
I personally prefer to trim myself with a mix of Feye's and Spidermom's methods, the compact cut, or with the creaclip.
I think it's pretty easy, expecially when hair is long and you can see it while you hold it and cut.

For a light layering my advice would be to first cut the layers, then chop the excess lenght. This way you get less extreme results.

I think it would be safer to go for TBL, you can always get back later and trim more.

lapushka
March 10th, 2021, 03:55 AM

Go slow, and try a method out first by taking about 1/3 off that you had envisioned, so see if you can do it, and you like it!

I would do Feye's, and if you want a slight layer (slightly "beveled" at the hem with one layer that is a little shorter), then there's the following.

I would watch this, not a bad method at all, but you need to section carefully, if you can't do that precisely, go with Feye's. At the very end Brad does it. The timestamp is 13:45 minutes in, then he's just let the sections out from the blunt cut and is moving towards the little "bevel on the bottom".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmE16ej9IU&t=1011s

I used to think he had a video around that sectioned out a horseshoe section up top after the blunt cut, brought it all up top and snipped a tiny bit off... so weird! I am going to look for that, actually! (minutes later) Well, I can't find it; searched the channel. It's gone, and I could swear I saw it! :hmm: It will just give you a light layering effect on the very top section of your hair.

But if you want to do a lot of updo's? I would stop at Feye's.

I would *not* recommend the layering method I use (unicorn cut), because... well, you can see in my signature how very much tapered a look that gets you, and updos are going to hate you, or you will hate the updos. LOL

Good luck, in any case.

Isilme
March 14th, 2021, 05:20 PM
Thank you guys! I knew I would get sound advice from you :) I'm going to go back to tailbone and check out Brad Mondo.

Dark40
March 14th, 2021, 06:46 PM

I second everybody else's post. If you really want to cut it go for the longest length TBL. I honestly could never get tired of my hair being at classic! I guess I'm saying that because my hair has never been that long before in my life. But, that's about where I would like for my long term goal to be is between classic and mid thigh length, and if I like it at mid thigh length I'll see if I want to grow to knee length or longer. As you can see on my profile I would like to grow to terminal length, and I don't even know where that is on me. But one of these days I will find out.

Isilme
April 5th, 2021, 01:53 PM
I did it! In two big trims I went a bit shorter than anticipated but I wanted to try Brad Mondo's straight hemline since a v or u is apparently is outdated, according to Mondo. Don't want to be outdated! It feels very short but I'm enjoying being split end free, I hadn't noticed how much of the lower part was broken and/or split ends, and S&D can only do so much. I ended up at slightly longer than hip length but chickened out at the layering. Currently undecided on wether I'll do some layering or wait until I get vaccinated and can visit a proper hairdresser. I don't think I'll be vaccinated until earliest sometime in July so There will be some new growth whenever I can make an appointment to do my hair.
Right now there's henna brewing in the kitchen and I'll do my old henna semi permanent deposit only concoction tomorrow.

Bat
April 5th, 2021, 09:44 PM
Well he thinks long hair needs to be cut short, so I'd take what he says with a grain of salt, no hemline is out of date!

GordonMurphella
April 6th, 2021, 04:13 AM
Well he thinks long hair needs to be cut short, so I'd take what he says with a grain of salt, no hemline is out of date!

Ditto. We are not here to beautify Brad Mondo's world. Right LHC? Bah. Bruh.

Bugg
April 6th, 2021, 04:14 AM
I must admit I do enjoy watching Brad's video's, but yeah I don't agree with everything he says. That's life though, people are gonna have their own opinions ya know? :)
I agree with Bat though, hemline is a personal choice and they can all look great :D

Isilme
April 6th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Oh, I'm definitely not here to decorate Brad's world, although I enjoy his videos and try out some ideas :) It was just tongue in cheek. Honestly, I was so ready to chop off a good bit of my hair and I'm relieved to not have my hair catch between my back and the bed or sofa. The blunt ends are a bit of a pain to work with right now but in a way I like the feeling. They're going to thin out naturally with time. And my hemline is probably going to be a deep u again sometime soon.

lapushka
April 6th, 2021, 07:42 AM
Brad Mondo = pure entertainment. And for a hairdresser, mind you, he's pretty accepting of hair in general, I find. I've heard way worse. And I love his reacting to videos when people do their hair at home. He will totally admit when things go bad, but turn out fine, and he will give that person credit for doing a good job. I love that about him! He will never shame people for doing their own hair even when they totally botch it; and that's a nice person right there. Always wins in my book. Even if he doesn't like hair that's long.

BuddhaBelle
April 6th, 2021, 07:52 AM
Go for it! Just start short. I think cutting long hair yourself is so much easier, I don't think I'd be confident enough yet to cut my BSL hair, but once I hit waist I will be giving myself trims. I cut my own fringe too.

Remember, if it's horrible, you can tie it up and wait until the hairdressers open again, lol!

Dark40
April 6th, 2021, 08:37 PM

In my own opinion I would just go for a nice blunt trim to TBL. Well, if I had hair as long as yours Classic plus I wouldn't be wearing it up all of the time. Because, I've always said, "If you're gonna have long hair or extremely long hair why wear it up all of the time?" So, when my hair reaches a point to where it's extremely long I'm going to show off my length all of the time. Instead of always wearing it up all of the time. Now, there will be times when I'll have it up but the majority of the times it's going to be down. Because, that's what I prefer.

Dark40
April 6th, 2021, 08:48 PM
Brad Mondo = pure entertainment. And for a hairdresser, mind you, he's pretty accepting of hair in general, I find. I've heard way worse. And I love his reacting to videos when people do their hair at home. He will totally admit when things go bad, but turn out fine, and he will give that person credit for doing a good job. I love that about him! He will never shame people for doing their own hair even when they totally botch it; and that's a nice person right there. Always wins in my book. Even if he doesn't like hair that's long.

Ohhh yeah, he's also one of my favorite youtubers too! He is an excellent hairdresser! I also love how he reacts to how other people do their hair at home too. I agree, he will never shame people for doing their own hair even when they totally botch it; and yes he is a nice person, and he will also be a winner in my book too. Even if he doesn't like hair that's long.

shelomit
April 7th, 2021, 12:36 PM
Obviously it is ultimately up to your own tastes, but the thigh-waist-thigh-waist yo-yo has been my pattern in hair lengths for most of my life. I would let it grow out to the point that I got annoyed with it, trim it back to waist or a little below, and grow it out again. I haven't really cut my hair back like that in several years now, but historically this has been a very workable solution for me. My hair is always long enough that I can put it up easily, but whenever I feel like it's too long, back it goes.

If you aren't certain whether you would prefer to cut to tailbone or waist, you could always trim it to tailbone first, wear it for a little while, see how you like it, and then cut it to waist if you prefer.

shelomit
April 7th, 2021, 12:41 PM

The only thing I have seen of his was a reaction video about henna that someone sent me, and I found it very cringe-y. . . of course, everything he was reacting to was in, if you will pardon me the expression, the "white girls who have never done this before" category :eek: And the comments, of course, were filled with outraged South Asians and North Africans, who couldn't stand either the videos he was watching or his own reactions to them! But I'm not much of one for the "YouTuber" thing in general, so I am probably being too harsh.

Dark40
April 7th, 2021, 07:27 PM
I did it! In two big trims I went a bit shorter than anticipated but I wanted to try Brad Mondo's straight hemline since a v or u is apparently is outdated, according to Mondo. Don't want to be outdated! It feels very short but I'm enjoying being split end free, I hadn't noticed how much of the lower part was broken and/or split ends, and S&D can only do so much. I ended up at slightly longer than hip length but chickened out at the layering. Currently undecided on wether I'll do some layering or wait until I get vaccinated and can visit a proper hairdresser. I don't think I'll be vaccinated until earliest sometime in July so There will be some new growth whenever I can make an appointment to do my hair.
Right now there's henna brewing in the kitchen and I'll do my old henna semi permanent deposit only concoction tomorrow.

Wow! Longer than hip length sounds really nice! Yeah, I agree with Bat that Brad Mondo always thinks that long hair needs to be cut short. So, I would take him as a grain of salt too. That's true no hemline is out of date! And about S&Ding, I've never believed in doing that. I only do micro-trims once or twice a year. Or, whenever I feel I need a trim. I don't see what good S&Ding does anyways. If I ever get any split ends I just do a small tiny trim straight across with a blunt trim. Because, I've always felt that when doing S&Ding your hair is uneven.

lapushka
April 8th, 2021, 09:11 AM
The only thing I have seen of his was a reaction video about henna that someone sent me, and I found it very cringe-y. . . of course, everything he was reacting to was in, if you will pardon me the expression, the "white girls who have never done this before" category :eek: And the comments, of course, were filled with outraged South Asians and North Africans, who couldn't stand either the videos he was watching or his own reactions to them! But I'm not much of one for the "YouTuber" thing in general, so I am probably being too harsh.

You picked out the one video that's probably the worst. :lol:
Can't judge it by that alone!

shelomit
April 8th, 2021, 03:50 PM
Can't judge it by that alone!

Oh, I'm certain that's true! But it's not the kind of thing I really want to do with my time in the first place, so I don't imagine I'll watch any more of his videos.

leafygreens18
April 8th, 2021, 04:14 PM
Glad it went well! Brad brad brad... I think he is genuine and is fairly nice but he is definitely majorly out of touch and his fans generally defend him by saying he's "not privileged" rather an expert who grew up in a salon but the real truth is that he has something to sell you, like most hair stylists haha. He JUST posted a video following an amateur self cut tutorial, how topical.

Editing in: this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfMBuE0hE28&t=549s)one is pretty rough...