PDA

View Full Version : Do silicones give the best slip and shine for hair?

Priska
March 8th, 2021, 10:16 PM
I have not been using in ages, but I started to think if that's what would make my hair look good... many natural ingredients give great shine too, but are silicones best in this anyway? Even though it maybe os kind of "fake"...

AutobotsAttack
March 8th, 2021, 10:46 PM
It really just depends on someone’s hair type. Sometimes silicones don’t do much for someone’s hair. Sometimes it’s too heavy, blocks out moisture, weighs hair down, etc.

Sometimes it does good for other people’s hair. Gives temporary coating, aids in UV damage prevention, helps deranged, etc.

If you find silicones do good for your hair, it’s not really a matter of if silicones are the “best”, per say, but are they benefiting you the individual. If the answer is yes, then use them as much as you wish. Everything that’s been processed for consumer usage is “fake” to some degree.

I’ve bought plenty of oils that were cold pressed, sourced from raw materials, filtered, you name it. Some did an amazing job at providing sheen and luster, some didn’t. I’ve bought silicone serums for less than 5$, and they too have proved beneficial in providing sheen and luster for my hair. Again, really just depends on the individual, and the product.

maborosi
March 8th, 2021, 11:15 PM
I basically just treat silicones as synthetic oils. Some work really well for me, some are horrible, just like with any other product. It really depends on your hair type, the silicone, how frequently you wash/whether the silicone is water soluble or not, etc... the list goes on.
For me, Bis-aminopropyl Dimethicone is my all-time favorite silicone, and is usually the one I'll go for if I see it in a product. But, on the flipside, my hair hates dimethicone, as an example.

I think in my experience by themselves silicones are great, but where they shine for me is in conjunction with moisturizing treatments- that's where I really begin to notice a lot more difference, so I use a silicone conditioner as a last step in my routine if I did a moisture treatment.

lapushka
March 9th, 2021, 05:59 AM
Well, I don't think there's anything fake about silicones, or petrolatum, for that matter. They are both very, maybe even the most, moisturizing ingredients and IMO, but I may be the only one here, they don't build-up near as fast as heavy butters or waxes.

Well... let's just say, I'm speaking for myself. I had my time where I went on the natural bandwagon and wouldn't even come near petrolatum, or silicones. OMG I was so adamant at that time.

There's plenty of benefits to silicones (or petrolatum).
1/cheap
2/very moisturizing
3/you can even have a runny and "lighter" conditioner be very tangle-solving, even though I always recommend the heavier kind because hey... the longer the hair, the more you need it!

I have to tell you. The no-petrolatum stint was short lived as my skin just wouldn't have it, and since I have dry facial skin, I'm going to do what needs to be done.

Oh, and if you don't want to use silicones, which you can do whatever you want, then be sure to replace them with heavier, thicker, conditioners or masks, because it takes a *lot* to replace a "simple" silicone. If you want to avoid the tangles, and mechanical breakage from having to deal with them (we all lose patience at some point).

FaeBroom
March 9th, 2021, 07:21 AM
If you want to just do a trial run, I've had good luck with silicone serums when I was keeping up with bleached blonde- if I remember correctly it was an OGX serum with dimethicone. For my hair type it was too heavy in the long run, but the day of use my hair was very sleek and shiny, and it masked the damage pretty well. Heavy silicone conditioners tend to make my hair tangly. Now I think just a dab of oil smooths out my hair better without any of the side effects, though it doesn't achieve the same high gloss as it had with silicones. So it just depends on your hair type and how much you prioritize super-shine.

Dark40
March 9th, 2021, 08:55 AM
Like what all the others said it depends on your hair type. With my experience my hair loves silicone conditioners, and they do add shine to my hair. So, I don't have any problems with using them.

Obsidian
March 9th, 2021, 09:44 AM
I've been using a light weight, mineral oil based hair oil. The shine is intense, better then any silicone based serum.

JasminxCat
March 9th, 2021, 12:10 PM
I've noticed silicone provides better slip for easier detangling, being less friction with my hair. I haven't used silicones in a while since experimenting with non silicone products, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to switch back. At least to a conditioner with silicone, something lightweight

Shorty89
March 9th, 2021, 04:36 PM
They work for many people but I have problems with silicones. My hair gets crunchy, dry, and flat even after one use.

CurlySpaceGirl
March 10th, 2021, 03:45 AM
I suppose it's different for everyone. In terms of detangling, I find no difference between silicones and not. What I do notice though is that it's harder to hide the damage on my ends.

Siv
March 10th, 2021, 04:25 AM
Well, I don't think there's anything fake about silicones, or petrolatum, for that matter. They are both very, maybe even the most, moisturizing ingredients and IMO, but I may be the only one here, they don't build-up near as fast as heavy butters or waxes.

Well... let's just say, I'm speaking for myself. I had my time where I went on the natural bandwagon and wouldn't even come near petrolatum, or silicones. OMG I was so adamant at that time.

There's plenty of benefits to silicones (or petrolatum).
1/cheap
2/very moisturizing
3/you can even have a runny and "lighter" conditioner be very tangle-solving, even though I always recommend the heavier kind because hey... the longer the hair, the more you need it!

I have to tell you. The no-petrolatum stint was short lived as my skin just wouldn't have it, and since I have dry facial skin, I'm going to do what needs to be done.

Oh, and if you don't want to use silicones, which you can do whatever you want, then be sure to replace them with heavier, thicker, conditioners or masks, because it takes a *lot* to replace a "simple" silicone. If you want to avoid the tangles, and mechanical breakage from having to deal with them (we all lose patience at some point).

Agree with most @lapushka said. Silicones are just as fake as any hair product. If you want to be "real" you need to stop washing your hair altogether and just let the sebum do it's thing because shampoo is fake too.......

I wouldn't call silicones moisturising mostly because I primarily associate "moisturising" with humectant ingredients that draw moisture into the hair rather than occlusives (like silicone) that forms a layer and lock moisture into the hair. That's just semantics though.

tekla
March 10th, 2021, 06:06 AM
Agree with most @lapushka said. Silicones are just as fake as any hair product. If you want to be "real" you need to stop washing your hair altogether and just let the sebum do it's thing because shampoo is fake too.......

I wouldn't call silicones moisturising mostly because I primarily associate "moisturising" with humectant ingredients that draw moisture into the hair rather than occlusives (like silicone) that forms a layer and lock moisture into the hair. That's just semantics though.

Silicones are moisturising since they lock in hydration. Hydration means increasing water content with humectants, moisture means sealing in the hydration. I noticed that you are from Sweden and I don't remember the terms in Swedish (I should!) but in Finnish we have only one word to mean both hydration and moisture which is quite misleading. Is it the same in Swedish?

Siv
March 10th, 2021, 07:36 AM
Silicones are moisturising since they lock in hydration. Hydration means increasing water content with humectants, moisture means sealing in the hydration. I noticed that you are from Sweden and I don't remember the terms in Swedish (I should!) but in Finnish we have only one word to mean both hydration and moisture which is quite misleading. Is it the same in Swedish?

I take moisture to mean diffused water and hydration to mean adding water basically, but I guess there's a consensus on how to define moisture vs. hydration in the beauty industry specifically then? Based on the former definition I saw no reason why emollients/occlusives/similar like silicones would help diffuse water into the hair, so saying that silicones are moisturising in that sense seems wrong, but not if it's simply taken to mean "locking in water", of course!

Also Google tells me moisturise in Swedish is "fukta" and hydrate is "återfukta" so I guess it's the same? I'd say air moisture is luftfuktighet and hydrating your skin is återfukta

girlcat36
March 10th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Totally depends on hair type.
Silicones are the kids of death for my baby fine, thin, super low porosity hair.
It sticks to my hair my strands like glue, smothering any hope of moisture going getting beyond the cuticle.
My hair stayed the same lengthy for years while I used silicones. It was breaking off on a regular basis, and I wasn’t coloring, blow-drying, or flat ironing or anything else that caused damage. Once I gave up silicone, my hair began to grow.

SleepyTangles
March 10th, 2021, 01:08 PM
On my hair silicones actually reduce slip, and give me static-y frizzy hair. They leave my hair shiny, yes, but do not trap moisture any better than oils, so I only use them unintentionally, since my fave deposit dyes have silicones.

They are very effective in trapping color molecules on the hair, though! Deposit dyes always last longer with a bit of cones.

Suortuva
March 10th, 2021, 01:16 PM

But, if you use them in dry hair and there's no moisture to lock in? So they are not moisturising itself, or? As oil is not moisturizer?

tekla
March 10th, 2021, 02:09 PM
If I've understood right, there is always a little water in the hair and using humectants (within a certain frame of air humidity and temperature) helps to increase the percentage of water ie hydrates the hair. Oils, silicones and other emollients moisturise by adding a protective, occlusive layer to prevent water loss.

I'm not a chemist or dermatologist but this is what I've gathered when reading about this stuff. I'd like to hear if there is someone around here who knows about this stuff!

MusicalSpoons
March 10th, 2021, 10:18 PM
If I've understood right, there is always a little water in the hair and using humectants (within a certain frame of air humidity and temperature) helps to increase the percentage of water ie hydrates the hair. Oils, silicones and other emollients moisturise by adding a protective, occlusive layer to prevent water loss.

This is my understanding too.

As for the semantics, I don't actually know what the consensus is here, but in my mind hydration = water, moisture = water BUT a moisturising routine needs to retain that moisture (hydration/water) which is one thing silicones can be good for. As well as slip and shine, of course, on hair that likes them.

Disclaimer: I may be biased by my own experience with skin especially; moisturiser on dehydrated skin does nothing of any real use, it might make my skin feel nicer to the touch for a little while but doesn't actually make it feel any better - if it's tight from dehydration, it's still tight even if it superficially feels slightly smoother for a short while. So I have to have hydrated hands for 'moisturiser' to actually work, and the same with hair as far as I've observed.

blackgothicdoll
March 11th, 2021, 04:26 AM
Silicones almost always make my hair dry and sticky, and if they don't immediately, they will over time as they build up. I like mineral oil when it comes to slip and shine, but I experience quick build up there as well. I'm sure porosity plays a role.

Just use what works for you.

tekla
March 11th, 2021, 05:09 AM
This is my understanding too.

As for the semantics, I don't actually know what the consensus is here, but in my mind hydration = water, moisture = water BUT a moisturising routine needs to retain that moisture (hydration/water) which is one thing silicones can be good for. As well as slip and shine, of course, on hair that likes them.

Disclaimer: I may be biased by my own experience with skin especially; moisturiser on dehydrated skin does nothing of any real use, it might make my skin feel nicer to the touch for a little while but doesn't actually make it feel any better - if it's tight from dehydration, it's still tight even if it superficially feels slightly smoother for a short while. So I have to have hydrated hands for 'moisturiser' to actually work, and the same with hair as far as I've observed.

I've noticed the same with my skin. It's dry and the best routine for me is to first use plenty of hydrating toner, then apply hyaluronic acid serum and last pat on moisturiser that contains oils and a tiny bit of silicones to trap in as much water as possible.

Neorago
March 11th, 2021, 05:29 AM
Agree with most @lapushka said. Silicones are just as fake as any hair product. If you want to be "real" you need to stop washing your hair altogether and just let the sebum do it's thing because shampoo is fake too........
This! Natural ingredients isn't always better and it's not always safer either.

If silicones work well for your hair and you have no adverse reactions, why change it? Personally for me my hair doesn't like silicone in my conditioners but they work really well in shampoos. Mineral oil is multi purpose for me, detangles, smooths, shines, it's cheap and works well for me so this is what I use. I do use "natural" ingredients to wash my face and for DIY cleaning etc but haven't had the same success with my hair.

lapushka
March 11th, 2021, 07:20 AM
I remember being so anti-silicones. But I just use whatever now. I rather concentrate on finding conditioners for dry, damaged hair, and it doesn't matter whether they are with or without silicones, as long as they do what the bottle promises. Some products are with silicones, some without (the Garnier Fructis Hair Food masks, I thought :?:) and I have found a good routine with all of the products.

You'll just have to do what your hair wants, not what you want for your hair, it is something I keep repeating after my "natural route" fiasco. You can't pick and choose; just listen to your hair and use the products that work; not the ones you want to use. Pushing something on the hair that it doesn't want is going to show, and you are going to feel it, and regret it. Don't!

floridaorchid
March 11th, 2021, 08:09 AM
I remember being so anti-silicones. But I just use whatever now. I rather concentrate on finding conditioners for dry, damaged hair, and it doesn't matter whether they are with or without silicones, as long as they do what the bottle promises. Some products are with silicones, some without (the Garnier Fructis Hair Food masks, I thought :?:) and I have found a good routine with all of the products.

You'll just have to do what your hair wants, not what you want for your hair, it is something I keep repeating after my "natural route" fiasco. You can't pick and choose; just listen to your hair and use the products that work; not the ones you want to use. Pushing something on the hair that it doesn't want is going to show, and you are going to feel it, and regret it. Don't!

Thank you for this!
I feel like there is such a push on other sites (youtube and instagram) to only use natural products. It took me till this past month to figure out products like calia and products similar to it do not work for my scalp at all!

I also want to let you know I always look for your comments in threads I'm interested in!
I really like your thoughts and opinions. :)

The-Young-Maid
March 11th, 2021, 01:14 PM
My hair needs silicones, mainly for slip. The shine is nice but I've found that mineral oil gives a better result. I cannot use silicone in my shampoo because my scalp is too sensitive. But used on my length silicones are a life saver. Otherwise my hair is unmanageable. Plus you get protection from mechanical damage. I'm working through some older silicone serums atm but my current favorite leave in is Cowboy Magic. Thats all I use after a shower on damp hair. On dry hair I'll use a mineral oil(non sticky hair oil) or coconut oil before braiding. <Mineral oil on wet hair doesn't spread evenly and makes my hair look super oily no matter what. And coconut oil makes my hair take longer to dry so I'd rather use silicone.

I've tried various natural routines and no silicones. My hair just becomes a nightmare lol

Wusel
March 13th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Like what all the others said it depends on your hair type. With my experience my hair loves silicone conditioners, and they do add shine to my hair. So, I don't have any problems with using them.

Same. My hair loves and needs silicones.

Alissalocks
March 13th, 2021, 06:18 PM
My hair loves silicone but I never knew until I tried serums for the first time. I like a small, pea sized amount for my very thin hair to avoid lankiness. Great for minimizing damage while detangling and for use when still barely damp, post wash, to lock in moisture.

lapushka
March 14th, 2021, 11:05 AM
I am back to using a no-silicone conditioner, and I have to say... I was quite surprised at how it performed. I remember it being tangly, but this combed out nicely. It was the Inecto coconut one (most of the wash) and I had "issues" with that not being enough for my hair in the past. I think it's the last bottle I own. It's not enough for me to repurchase (I have too many products), but I'm enjoying it for the time being. :D