PDA

View Full Version : Henna and temporary dye?

catoala
March 8th, 2021, 07:00 AM
Hello.

I have dyed my hair with henna and indigo. I used it twice.
First it was henna (with PPD :/) and then indigo a few weeks after that. Right now it's brown.

I have been thinking about using Palette Schwarzkopf Instant Color (it is basically a dye without ammonia and peroxide that you put on wet hair, like a colored conditioner and it washes out in 6 to 8 washes) and i am thinking is that safe? Would I get a disaster on my head? 😄

And if yes, did anyone try putting the purple over brown-orange? What did it turn out like?

I can't post a photo, but it's basically dark brown with orange hints.

Thanks!

Jane99
March 8th, 2021, 07:16 AM
I don’t have experience with dye over henna but others have posted on here they have done it successfully. You definitely want to strand test! I wonder if it might take longer to wash out, some people say the temporary dyes are more color fast on their hair, hennaed or not

geenie
March 8th, 2021, 08:07 AM
I am currently trying to get henna out for my hair. My hair is naturally very fair and I only used henna. I am using the oiling method. I know indigo is notoriously had to get out of hair. Ammonia and peroxide are just damaging to your hair but doesn't cause weird reactions with henna. If the henna/indigo had metallic salts in it can go green or something. Save some hair from your hair brushes and dye that first just to see it will all be okay. Also, this youtube video is a great account of getting rid of the henna and indigo from hair.

youtube.com/watch?v=eb5hpeagaIQ&t=1081s

Shorty89
March 8th, 2021, 09:56 AM
You shouldn't have any problems putting a deposit only dye over your henna. I've done so on my ends using purple manic panic and it turns out pretty well.

Obsidian
March 8th, 2021, 02:09 PM
Temporary dyes should be fine, just don't use a regular box dye unless you double check that the first henna you used didn't contain any metallic salts.

Really, you should do a strand test. Henna can make colors turn out weird. I tried purple over pure henna and it went black, faded to a horrible muddy color

lapushka
March 8th, 2021, 03:13 PM
I would be careful and try it on a small piece somewhere in the back, or do it on a ball of shed hair. Best not use your head as a lab as someone on here, whose name I sadly forgot :( said very wisely.

If it's not pure henna / indigo that you used, I would be careful, and I would be doubly careful with indigo + chemical dye. In every demi dye (palette comes with developer) there is something that lifts, and indigo can't stand it. We all know that.

So: strand test!!! :thumbsup: