PDA

View Full Version : Advice on stretchy hair

Lesley8
March 8th, 2021, 05:58 AM
Hi I'm looking for advice, today I noticed my hair was stretchy, when I washed it it felt the same and I had more hair fall than normal. The only thing I've changed is my shampoo, conditioner and leave in its all loreal dream lengths, I have noticed the ingredients have 2 wheat proteins and wondering if my hair is getting to much? I've also noticed my scalp has become really itchy and dry.
Sorry for the long post. Any help would be appreciated.

lapushka
March 8th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Normally hair becomes brittle & dry from an overload of protein. And I'm sure you don't mean stretchy like bleach-damaged stretchy (the wet noodle thing).

It would actually be beneficial to get some proteins in, in your case.

Standard question. But when is the last time you clarify-washed, really took the gunk out with a harsher sulfate?

Ylva
March 8th, 2021, 07:30 AM
Does the hair stretch and then return to its original form when you release the tension? This type of stretching is characteristic of normal, balanced hair.

Or does the hair stretch like a wet noodle until it eventually breaks? This is the kind of hair that benefits from protein treatments (but of course they can also benefit hair that hasn't yet quite gotten to this point), usually the result of bleaching or other strong chemical treatments.

Lesley8
March 8th, 2021, 07:32 AM
Hi thanks for the reply.
I clarified my hair 2 weeks ago, I wash my hair weekly. Its the first time this has happened it actually stretched when dry, then when I washed it it did the same and hair came out some broke off.

Lesley8
March 8th, 2021, 07:43 AM
Meant to add, since I've washed it it's not doing it anymore, could it have a build up of something? Thanks

lapushka
March 8th, 2021, 08:33 AM
Doesn't sound too odd. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Lesley8
March 8th, 2021, 08:36 AM
Doesn't sound too odd. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

I'm thinking of trying carina organics shampoo and conditioner as I'm seriously getting an itchy dry scalp.
I can stop worrying now thinking my hair was going to break off!

AutobotsAttack
March 8th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Just to add, buildup does not cause hair to become overly stretchy. An imbalance of moisture to protein ratio does. There’s varying degrees to it, and if you don’t dabble in any chemical processing, usually such imbalances sort themselves out over time, if your washing regimen remains relatively consistent.

GordonMurphella
March 9th, 2021, 03:02 AM
Just to add, buildup does not cause hair to become overly stretchy. An imbalance of moisture to protein ratio does. There’s varying degrees to it, and if you don’t dabble in any chemical processing, usually such imbalances sort themselves out over time, if your washing regimen remains relatively consistent.

Totally agree with AutobotsAttack, excellent post. OP, also, if I may kindly suggest you dial back the hair anxiety? Been there and done that, and I'd love to save anyone else the trouble.