PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping hair trouble

CurlySpaceGirl
March 5th, 2021, 05:02 AM
Hi All,

I have this very specific problem when I sleep. There is a patch at the back of my head where the hair get super knotty and matted every night. This patch ends up very thin and damaged and it usually the reason I get a haircut. No other part of my hair has this problem.

I feel like I have tried everything! I am at a loss of what to do. I don't know if anyone has any advice for me? I've included my results from various things I've tried:

Pros Cons

Do nothing -Easy bedtime routine -Matted hair

Sleeping with oil -Smells nice, healthy morning hair -Bothersome to do every night
-Don't like washing hair daily

Sleeping in a buff -Stays on most nights -Not as soft as a silk scarf

Sleeping in a silk scarf -Very soft for my hair -Falls off every night

Sleeping in a plait -Hair can't move overnight -Ruins my curl pattern
-Detangling in the morning is harder
-My hair is quite short and doesn't all fit in a plait, most will fall out

Help and advice would be wonderful if you have any, but mostly I'm very frustrated, and looking to vent a bit... Hope that's ok!

CurlySpaceGirl
March 5th, 2021, 05:02 AM
Oh wow, that table I formatted did not work...

lapushka
March 5th, 2021, 05:25 AM
Maybe try a silk pillowcase; no need to keep anything on your head, and it might stop the matting from forming.

ipickee
March 5th, 2021, 06:30 AM
Honestly, I use a satin pillowcase, and it has been AMAZING. They're not super pricey, which is a plus too.
And I have pretty short hair. It's just long enough to turn itself into a 'work of art' every morning every time I sleep without the pillowcase.

SelenVinland
March 5th, 2021, 07:14 AM
I’ve heard that some curly haired folks sleep with their hair in a loose bun on top of their heads. Maybe this would work for you?

lapushka
March 5th, 2021, 07:21 AM
Yes, SelenVinland, but if the problem is above the nape or at the nape, I wonder how much that is going to solve? It's worth a try, though, having it contained might work. :shrug:

Oh, I no longer use a satin / silk pillowcase. I, on the whole, have microfiber bedding now. My duvet cover and pillowcases are microfiber, and that is 1/as smooth as silk 2/washable on *hot* (60°C) and with SD (seborrheic dermatitis), you need the hot cycle! For sure.

Shorty89
March 5th, 2021, 09:45 AM
Would a loose bun on top of the head help? I'm not sure if that would wreck your curl pattern.

JasminxCat
March 5th, 2021, 10:35 AM
I used to have the exact same problem you're talking about. The hair under the very bottom layer, close to the nape, would tangle and split more than any section of my hair, particularly at night. I'm not sure what the cause was as this never used to happen before, but after I did some thorough S&D in that section and switched to a satin pillowcase, it doesn't happen anymore

Hasse
March 5th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Although I'm not full on curly, I find my waves stay intact when I use rope braids. For sleeping, making a pineapple on top of your head could work. If your hair is too short, you could try making two rope braids.

MusicalSpoons
March 5th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Adding my voice to the chorus of 'satin pillowcase' :)

Also with oil in general, chances are you can use less so your hair doesn't feel dirty or need washing every day. It might take experimenting to find one your hair likes and absorbs without feeling greasy - but I don't know whether it would help with your overnight problem, I do just mean generally.

bparnell75
March 5th, 2021, 11:43 AM
A silk cap like a shower cap that has elastic around it. That should stay on.

Finda
March 5th, 2021, 12:16 PM
A silk cap like a shower cap that has elastic around it. That should stay on.

That was my first thought as well, though I don't have any experience with sleeping caps.

CurlySpaceGirl
March 8th, 2021, 01:59 AM
Ah thanks so much for all your responses. I'm not online every day, hence late response from me.

I have thought about getting a satin pillowcase, but never committed, I think I'll give that a go. Regarding a top bun, my hair is a bit too short for that, so most will fall out, but thanks for the suggestion.

All of these are very helpful responses! :) Thanks

ipickee
March 8th, 2021, 06:19 AM
Ah thanks so much for all your responses. I'm not online every day, hence late response from me.

I have thought about getting a satin pillowcase, but never committed, I think I'll give that a go. Regarding a top bun, my hair is a bit too short for that, so most will fall out, but thanks for the suggestion.

All of these are very helpful responses! :) Thanks

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.