PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help hairtype me?

Aeowen
February 19th, 2021, 08:07 PM
Hair is natural, washed and combed through but then left to air dry. I’m trying to make sure I’m treating it right for it’s type but it is very confusing. My individual hairs are very fine and prone to tangling but when brushed get kind of coarse looking (for lack of a better term) which makes me think that maybe it’s curlier than I think?

Sorry about the sideways photo..
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44528&d=1613790231

draysmir
February 19th, 2021, 10:57 PM
Your hair looks 1c to me. It looks mostly straight with body waves. I think experimenting with different products or styling could increase its waviness. You could try plopping to increase your waves, for instance.

For proper hairtyping, your hair should be unbrushed... I'm not sure if that applies when it is wet. :hmm: I find my hair dries straighter if I brush it when wet after showering. My hair is wavier when I brush my hair out before I shower, then leave it unbrushed to air dry.

Your hair turning more "coarse" after brushing sounds like frizz from waves. My hair is more silky feeling and looking before I brush it out after it dries. Once I brush it out, it will straighten out more and feel more "coarse". This also happens when I brush out braid waves. My hair feels more like how you are describing when I brush out my wet hair, so I think you should try brushing your hair before you shower and take a new photo of your hair once it is dry to compare. :)

lapis_lazuli
February 20th, 2021, 01:23 AM
Your hair does look 1c here, but for proper hairtyping, the hair shouldn't be brushed or manipulated at all after washing. This includes scrunching/twisting as minimally as possible and letting it air dry. It might be okay if you combed through while in the shower, but it shouldn't be touched once you're out of the water :flower:

WavyWannabe
February 20th, 2021, 01:28 AM
Also check out the hair typing thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81905

lapushka
February 20th, 2021, 08:24 AM
1c/2a'ish for me, but no, no brush, not even before drying. Nothing. Wring hair out after washing, you can use a towel, but then.. do not touch it at all. And yes there is a whole thread dedicated to hairtyping. :flower:

Think I'm gonna ask the mods to merge!

Aeowen
February 20th, 2021, 09:36 AM
Ahhh thank you!!! I did it again this morning and got a whole different result :D I looked for that thread earlier but couldn’t find it darn it - ok, will post new pics.

Aeowen
February 20th, 2021, 09:40 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44538&d=1613839021

Ok, here is air dried no combing just a small amount of messing with my fingers accidentally when it would get in my face etc while drying. I also didn’t wring it quite like I normally do, opting for some light squeezing instead. It’s actually much curlier in the front, oddly enough, but I don’t have a picture of that. Those curls are much more defined, almost corkscrewy, where the back of my hair seems to be odd clumpy squiggles.

lapis_lazuli
February 20th, 2021, 11:09 AM
Oh wow! So I think others should weigh in, but I would say you're 2b at least. If you hair is spiralling in a 3-dimensional corkscrew, that's characteristic of 2c. Maybe you're a blend of both?

lapushka
February 20th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I would think 2a/b, possibly 2b. That would be my guess. :)

SleepyTangles
February 20th, 2021, 02:03 PM
I would say 2a! :D

baanoo
February 20th, 2021, 04:54 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44538&d=1613839021

Ok, here is air dried no combing just a small amount of messing with my fingers accidentally when it would get in my face etc while drying. I also didn’t wring it quite like I normally do, opting for some light squeezing instead. It’s actually much curlier in the front, oddly enough, but I don’t have a picture of that. Those curls are much more defined, almost corkscrewy, where the back of my hair seems to be odd clumpy squiggles.

I would say 2a/2b most likely - your texture looks and sounds pretty similar to mine (I have typing photos in an album here if you’d like to compare). I use the 2a label but definitely have sections that span a number of textures, including the clumping spirally parts.

draysmir
February 20th, 2021, 05:52 PM

Such a difference in texture! :D I would say it is closer to 2b now. Pretty! :)

Aeowen
February 21st, 2021, 05:00 PM
Thanks so much all! Now I can figure out what to do with it :)