PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what length my hair is?

CalystaStarr
February 19th, 2021, 11:07 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44525&d=1613757742

If you can see my hair in the photo it almost looks mbl. Yet it doesnt reach my bra strap? Am I looking at it right?

Feral_
February 19th, 2021, 11:13 AM
I’d say your hair is BSL. It’s below APL. Nice waves.

draysmir
February 19th, 2021, 11:14 AM
Visually it looks MBL to me. :) Maybe your bra band sits low, you can try putting a tape measure under the bust to get BSL. Alternatively, you could consider bottom of shoulder blade as BSL.

Suortuva
February 19th, 2021, 11:18 AM
I thought MBL (mid back length) was between BSL and waist.

lapushka
February 19th, 2021, 11:28 AM
A liiitle longer than BSL, and a little bit too short for waist, so to me that is MBL, first thing that came to mind!

JasminxCat
February 19th, 2021, 12:13 PM
If you're wearing high waisted bottoms, I would consider it BSL

florenonite
February 19th, 2021, 12:47 PM
I thought MBL (mid back length) was between BSL and waist.

It is - for people who have space between their bra band and waist :lol:

Personally, I prefer to just use MBL when it's halfway between APL and waist, which OP's hair looks to be. My bra band sits about 2" above my waist and more than 7" below APL, so it seems a kind of pointless milestone on me.

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2021, 02:55 PM
I find the BSL marker can be very inconsistent person to person. Regardless, I would call that MBL, creeping in on waist.

Bat
February 19th, 2021, 04:27 PM
BSL should be changed to UBL (Under bust length) or ARL (,Above Rib Length)

Or can the milestone and have it included in the mid back abyss range

Suortuva
February 19th, 2021, 04:45 PM

Yes, personally I consider BSL to be UBL, though my bra's sitting correct, so I can easily check by looking, but still, I think under the bust is the idea.

I'm not sure what you mean above rib lenght? In the back my ribs ends pretty much at my waist... Is this one of those strange anatomy things?

Then, with MBL I was thinking about the general consensus here at the LHC. For me it would feel most logical to think that MBL is the middle point of your backside, between shoulder and classic, and for me personally this is very near my waist, probably just above. And personally I find MBL a bit strange and won't consider it at all as a milestone in my journey though I have whole 4 inches (!) between my underbust line and waist...

lapushka
February 19th, 2021, 05:00 PM

I don't think it should be changed at all. :)

Suortuva
February 19th, 2021, 05:07 PM
BSL works only for those who wear bra's. The rest of milestones are more universal and including. I think we could do better, especially when many of them who wear bra's wear wrong sizes that sit incorrectly.

lapushka
February 19th, 2021, 05:25 PM
BSL works only for those who wear bra's. The rest of milestones are more universal and including. I think we could do better, especially when many of them who wear bra's wear wrong sizes that sit incorrectly.

The thing is, a bra that fits normally, the end of the band is underneath the breasts in front, so what would you suggest women call that length? Under boob-length? I mean it's the same with crotch-length / classic length, I feel like. :lol: ;) :p Unless we can come up with a nice new name, I think BSL isn't so bad.

Suortuva
February 19th, 2021, 05:44 PM
The thing is, a bra that fits normally, the end of the band is underneath the breasts in front, so what would you suggest women call that length? Under boob-length? I mean it's the same with crotch-length / classic length, I feel like. :lol: ;) :p Unless we can come up with a nice new name, I think BSL isn't so bad.

I guess the band is underneath the breasts in front even with badly sitting bra's. It should be there in the back too. But then there's different models, some have very wide bands, not to mention sport bra's. This milestone is dependent of a piece of clothing, the others are not.

If everyone is in reality thinking that it's about the underboob line, why don't call it for underboob line then? What's the problem with that? Because there is a problem with the term BSL, this is not the first time it's duscussed.

And then we can do the towel test, as with APL.

And, for example, I have fat armpits in my back, they looks visually higher that what the towel test tells. So...

ETA: I think bat's suggestion UBL is very nice. It's similar to BSL, but mor accurate.

But, this doesn't matter so much for me personally, I know my milestones and I won't be going to barricades for this.

lapushka
February 19th, 2021, 06:01 PM
I guess the band is underneath the breasts in front even with badly sitting bra's. It should be there in the back too. But then there's different models, some have very wide bands, not to mention sport bra's. This milestone is dependent of a piece of clothing, the others are not.

If everyone is in reality thinking that it's about the underboob line, why don't call it for underboob line then? What's the problem with that? Because there is a problem with the term BSL, this is not the first time it's duscussed.

And then we can do the towel test, as with APL.

And, for example, I have fat armpits in my back, they looks visually higher that what the towel test tells. So...

ETA: I think bat's suggestion UBL is very nice. It's similar to BSL, but mor accurate.

But, this doesn't matter so much for me personally, I know my milestones and I won't be going to barricades for this.

I can see the discussions now. Do we measure where the breast tissue meets the chest, or do we measure where the boobs "hang". :lol: :spitting: Sorry. Just... I think the towel test can easily become the "breast" test, but then that is still were a bra strap would sit, so what is the issue with BSL, anyway, that's what I don't get. :shrug:

Bat
February 19th, 2021, 06:07 PM
I can see the discussions now. Do we measure where the breast tissue meets the chest, or do we measure where the boobs "hang". :lol: :spitting: Sorry. Just... I think the towel test can easily become the "breast" test, but then that is still were a bra strap would sit, so what is the issue with BSL, anyway, that's what I don't get. :shrug:

Look at under bust corsets if you want an example

I'd possible use Shoulder blade length because I'm a man and don't wear a bra

Bat
February 19th, 2021, 06:11 PM
Yes, personally I consider BSL to be UBL, though my bra's sitting correct, so I can easily check by looking, but still, I think under the bust is the idea.

I'm not sure what you mean above rib lenght? In the back my ribs ends pretty much at my waist... Is this one of those strange anatomy things?

Then, with MBL I was thinking about the general consensus here at the LHC. For me it would feel most logical to think that MBL is the middle point of your backside, between shoulder and classic, and for me personally this is very near my waist, probably just above. And personally I find MBL a bit strange and won't consider it at all as a milestone in my journey though I have whole 4 inches (!) between my underbust line and waist...

Let's ignore the other suggestion xD

lapushka
February 19th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Look at under bust corsets if you want an example

I'd possible use Shoulder blade length because I'm a man and don't wear a bra

That is what most men on here already do, Bat. :) Have been doing for a long long time!

Bat
February 19th, 2021, 06:15 PM
That is what most men on here already do, Bat. :) Have been doing for a long long time!

I'd rather something without gender attached to it. But it's just a suggestion no one has to use it

0xalis
February 19th, 2021, 07:48 PM
I love the idea of SBL/ shoulder blade length becoming an official milestone for all the non-bra-wearers!
I don't wear bras either, they cause me rib pain unless they're too loose to even give me support so I don't bother.
It's funny how it has the same letters as BSL too! Two sides of the same coin :)

MusicalSpoons
February 19th, 2021, 08:36 PM
I have seen BSB used elsewhere - below shoulder blade - which I think clarifies exactly where it is, just in case anyone new to milestones might think it meant the top of the shoulderblade :lol:

draysmir
February 19th, 2021, 11:39 PM
I love the idea of SBL/ shoulder blade length becoming an official milestone for all the non-bra-wearers!
I don't wear bras either, they cause me rib pain unless they're too loose to even give me support so I don't bother.
It's funny how it has the same letters as BSL too! Two sides of the same coin :)

I agree. :) I feel like SBL used to be a more common/known milestone, but I don't see people using that term much anymore. I think it is a good universal milestone that is easier to determine than BSL. :D I rarely wear bras, and the ones I used to never fit, so BSL was never accurate for me, it was basically MBL. :p

Thinking about it, it seems weird to base a hair milestone on a piece of gendered clothing, most milestones are based on body markers. :hmm: Maybe because women have been traditionally the ones more likely to grow their hair out it has made it become a standard milestone.

Bat
February 20th, 2021, 01:46 AM
I'm just going to ditch BSL/BSB and use MBA from there onward (mid back abyss) that basically is the start of BSL anyway

Ylva
February 20th, 2021, 03:13 AM
As someone who doesn't much care for following non-serious rules (maybe I shouldn't be saying that as a mod, but yeah, I generally have this attitude towards, say, writing assignments; I tend to choose alternative approaches), I'd just suggest that if you want a certain milestone to be a milestone, make it one. Don't ask for anyone's approval - just put it in your stats and go! Maybe it'll catch on, maybe it won't, and that's okay. Things rarely change by asking for a change, you just have to go ahead and do it. For example, "Yule" never used to be mentioned in the titles of goal threads, but I just decided to put it there, and now it appears on many titles. :)

https://youtu.be/ZXsQAXx_ao0

lapushka
February 20th, 2021, 03:29 AM
As someone who doesn't much care for following non-serious rules (maybe I shouldn't be saying that as a mod, but yeah, I generally have this attitude towards, say, writing assignments; I tend to choose alternative approaches), I'd just suggest that if you want a certain milestone to be a milestone, make it one. Don't ask for anyone's approval - just put it in your stats and go! Maybe it'll catch on, maybe it won't, and that's okay. Things rarely change by asking for a change, you just have to go ahead and do it. For example, "Yule" never used to be mentioned in the titles of goal threads, but I just decided to put it there, and now it appears on many titles. :)

https://youtu.be/ZXsQAXx_ao0

Great idea, for those who have issues with current length stats. I'm long past BSL in any case to still worry about it. I guess I'm not that much into change. :lol:

WavyWannabe
February 20th, 2021, 03:53 AM
I agree. :) I feel like SBL used to be a more common/known milestone, but I don't see people using that term much anymore. I think it is a good universal milestone that is easier to determine than BSL. :D I rarely wear bras, and the ones I used to never fit, so BSL was never accurate for me, it was basically MBL. :p

Thinking about it, it seems weird to base a hair milestone on a piece of gendered clothing, most milestones are based on body markers. :hmm: Maybe because women have been traditionally the ones more likely to grow their hair out it has made it become a standard milestone.

ynne does this in their signature. Really neat way to make a gendered/sexed marker gender-neutral/unisex without causing confusion.

Also even among people who do wear bras, I believe it's really common to wear one that does not fit, more specifically too wide in the band, which results in the band riding up the back and ending up right on the shoulder blades. Whereas the band of a well-fitting bra is "supposed" to fit snugly around one's torso, staying at the same height all-around (below-breast-height? anyway, it's closer to the base of the sternum than the bottom of the shoulder blades).

ETA: I guess with BSL, MBL, SBL, etc. it's the same situation as with shoulder length vs. collarbone length, tailbone vs buttcrack length, fingertip vs mid-thigh length etc.
Everyone's body and goals are different, so don't sweat the different body markers and pick the ones that feel relevant :)

lapushka
February 20th, 2021, 08:22 AM
ynne does this in their signature. Really neat way to make a gendered/sexed marker gender-neutral/unisex without causing confusion.

Also even among people who do wear bras, I believe it's really common to wear one that does not fit, more specifically too wide in the band, which results in the band riding up the back and ending up right on the shoulder blades. Whereas the band of a well-fitting bra is "supposed" to fit snugly around one's torso, staying at the same height all-around (below-breast-height? anyway, it's closer to the base of the sternum than the bottom of the shoulder blades).

ETA: I guess with BSL, MBL, SBL, etc. it's the same situation as with shoulder length vs. collarbone length, tailbone vs buttcrack length, fingertip vs mid-thigh length etc.
Everyone's body and goals are different, so don't sweat the different body markers and pick the ones that feel relevant :)

I think that's well-said!

florenonite
February 21st, 2021, 07:29 AM

I can't do UBL as a milestone between APL and waist because I don't hit below-the-bust at the front until my hair is past waist at the back :lol:

Personally, I like shoulder blade length as it's a clear body marker that everyone has, regardless of gender or whether or not you wear a bra (or one that fits properly; I've seen a lot of people hit BSL several inches above the underbust length because they're wearing bras with too-large bands). I don't actually measure BSL as I find it pointless (and I haven't worn a bra since March :p ), so I measure shoulder blade length when I hit that, and then MBL is about halfway between APL and waist. I find that the more times I grow my hair and the longer I'm around here, the less I care about the "official" markers and the more I just use the ones that work for me.

And I agree with Ylva. I can't say for sure I'm the first one to use SBL/BSB (base of the shoulder blades) instead of BSL, but I know I was using it many years ago and no one else seemed to be at the time and now I'm seeing it more commonly here, so with time I hope more and more people switch so that we don't have this one weird clothing-related milestone that not everyone has.