PDA

View Full Version : Best hair oils

BuddhaBelle
February 14th, 2021, 11:53 AM
I've done a bit of searching and couldn't find much information, though my phone is being quite stupid right now so that might be why...

What is your favourite hair oil and why? I'm about to purchase some oils to make a face wash but I thought I'd see if I could use them on my hair. :)

I'm currently using sweet almond oil and castor oil, I've stayed away from coconut as I hear it can be quite crunchy. I'm thinking of buying almond, jojoba and perhaps argan oil?

Thank you :blossom:

lapushka
February 14th, 2021, 12:01 PM
For the face? Sweet almond. My mom used this on my skin since I was 3 years old. I've always been dry in the face. :) You used to be able to get that in a pharmacy bottle (bulk buy) by the 100ml, from any pharmacy, that's how my mom got it all the time. I have replaced this age 44, so 41 years of near constant use. Now I use a hyaluronic acid underneath my moisturizers. It's better, for aging skin I might add.

Wondering about HA for the hair, and I believe The Ordinary have something like that. :hmm:

I am now using sweet almond for my hair in an oil rinse, and... I love it!

WavyWannabe
February 14th, 2021, 12:02 PM
I have tried coconut, jojoba and olive oil.
I like coconut and jojoba oil (well I haven't used jojoba in a while but I think I'll purchase some more this year).
I find them light enough for my hair, whereas I can really only use olive oil as a pre-wash treatment. I'm not very good at applying only a little bit of oil, but I think it's way trickier to not end up with stringy, obviously oily hair with olive oil and other heavy oils.

When it comes to hair shaft penetration coconut and jojoba are basically polar opposites: coconut oil is supposed to penetrate hair while jojoba only sits on top of it (to provide slip, shine, protection, etc. it's not a bad thing!). Check out the science-y hair blog, there's an article there that lists which oils penetrate the hair shaft and which sit on top :)
On my hair, coconut oil definitely lives up to that. It soaks in in about one hour and leaves my hair soft, even though I apply a lot of it (I use it pre-wash).
Some people do find that it makes their hair crunchy, so you have to try it on your hair to know. If it turns out your hair hates it, it still makes a lovely cooking oil.

I find jojoba oil to be very lightweight: I could apply a generous "pump" of the bottle on my ends and not get greasy hair, just shiny and soft ends.

JasminxCat
February 14th, 2021, 02:16 PM
I don't know which oils penetrate and which don't, I prefer using oils that provide slip, protection, and moisture that are light. And those 2 are sweet almond oil and jojoba oil for me

On heavy oiling days I like using olive oil, it's moisturizing, good to add to diy masks, best for winter dryness, and cheap so don't have to worry about using too much. But beware you can break out with this oil, I do if I get it on my face and don't wash it off, so I only like to use it when my hair is cling wrapped and out of my face

Argan oil to tame frizz

Peppermint oil for scalp irritation/itchiness/dandruff

Grapeseed oil for shine (very oily on my hair so don't use it often, mainly for skin)

Coconut oil for dry scalp

Castor oil for growth

Thinking about trying avocado oil soon

ipickee
February 14th, 2021, 02:48 PM
I love jojoba oil because it's light. It doesn't weigh my hair down.

Lesley8
February 14th, 2021, 03:03 PM
For my face I use rosehip oil,
For my hair I use argan oil which is my favourite for my dry ends.
Coconut oil I like to use this as a mask or overnight before a wash.
Jojoba oil I like this as its light and sometimes I add it on to my ends.
Advocado oil tried it but I'm not sure about this as I haven't gave it a good go yet.
Olive oil really have to say this is my number 1 for slip I put it all over my hair an hour before shampoo.
Castor oil I use on my roots with Coconut oil mixed in.

spidermom
February 14th, 2021, 03:09 PM
It seems to be highly individual. I took a quiz somewhere online, and it recommended sunflower and safflower oil for my hair. I heavily oil the day or several hours before I wash. I like the results so far.

SelenVinland
February 14th, 2021, 03:15 PM
I started using sweet almond oil recently and really like it. I use jojoba oil on my skin mostly but occasionally on my hair as well. My hair and scalp did NOT agree with coconut oil the few times I used that, so I avoid it.

Jane99
February 14th, 2021, 04:55 PM
I prepoo with coconut oil because it’s said to be a penetrating oil and it works very nice in my hair.
I put a little drop of argan oil (because it makes my hair soft) and broccoli seed oil because it’s said to be like an oil version of silicone on my length on damp hair after washing. My hair stays soft and doesn’t look oily.

Sammich
February 14th, 2021, 06:15 PM
I use argon oil on my ends, makes my hair so soft and slippery! I love it, it doesn’t look oily either.

I use a mixture of oils on my scalp which help promote hair growth:
Organic castor oil, Organic cold pressed coconut oil, Lavender essential oil, Peppermint essential oil, Ginger essential oil, Natural Vitamin E, Nettle and Horsetail herbs.

Feral_
February 15th, 2021, 03:09 AM
For facial oil (cleansing and moisturising) I use a mix containing apricot kernel, grape seed, argan, vitamin e - plus essential oils added for fragrance only.

Hair salve I use babassu oil and shea butter with essential oils.

PeonyBlue
February 15th, 2021, 03:58 AM
I’m experimenting with camellia oil at the moment...I’ve only used it once, just this morning on dry hair, and it gave my plait a nice sheen without looking greasy. From what I’ve been able to find out so far, it’s likely to be similar to olive oil in terms of penetration potential, but similar to jojoba in its sebum-like qualities. On my skin, it seemed less greasy than the rose hip oil I had been using, so I’ll definitely keep trying it for both face and hair for a while longer.

Eastbound&Down
February 15th, 2021, 05:57 AM
Sweet almond and JBCO mixed with a conditioner is my favorite go-to DT. I love coconut oil for my skin. I live in a very cold climate and we have hard water, so my poor skin gets painfully dry during the winter months. Unrefined coconut oil helps me a lot! I also cook with it frequently (out of a different jar!)

BuddhaBelle
February 15th, 2021, 10:05 AM
For the face? Sweet almond. My mom used this on my skin since I was 3 years old. I've always been dry in the face. :) You used to be able to get that in a pharmacy bottle (bulk buy) by the 100ml, from any pharmacy, that's how my mom got it all the time. I have replaced this age 44, so 41 years of near constant use. Now I use a hyaluronic acid underneath my moisturizers. It's better, for aging skin I might add.

Wondering about HA for the hair, and I believe The Ordinary have something like that. :hmm:

I am now using sweet almond for my hair in an oil rinse, and... I love it!

Oh sounds amazing! I've been using sweet almond oil on both and it feels lovely, but I do put too much on my hair sometimes haha... Need to try that rinse :D

I have tried coconut, jojoba and olive oil.
I like coconut and jojoba oil (well I haven't used jojoba in a while but I think I'll purchase some more this year).
I find them light enough for my hair, whereas I can really only use olive oil as a pre-wash treatment. I'm not very good at applying only a little bit of oil, but I think it's way trickier to not end up with stringy, obviously oily hair with olive oil and other heavy oils.

When it comes to hair shaft penetration coconut and jojoba are basically polar opposites: coconut oil is supposed to penetrate hair while jojoba only sits on top of it (to provide slip, shine, protection, etc. it's not a bad thing!). Check out the science-y hair blog, there's an article there that lists which oils penetrate the hair shaft and which sit on top :)
On my hair, coconut oil definitely lives up to that. It soaks in in about one hour and leaves my hair soft, even though I apply a lot of it (I use it pre-wash).
Some people do find that it makes their hair crunchy, so you have to try it on your hair to know. If it turns out your hair hates it, it still makes a lovely cooking oil.

I find jojoba oil to be very lightweight: I could apply a generous "pump" of the bottle on my ends and not get greasy hair, just shiny and soft ends.
Oooo okay so coconut for heavy oilings, jojoba for daily oilings. I'll definitely add jojoba to my list!!

I don't know which oils penetrate and which don't, I prefer using oils that provide slip, protection, and moisture that are light. And those 2 are sweet almond oil and jojoba oil for me

On heavy oiling days I like using olive oil, it's moisturizing, good to add to diy masks, best for winter dryness, and cheap so don't have to worry about using too much. But beware you can break out with this oil, I do if I get it on my face and don't wash it off, so I only like to use it when my hair is cling wrapped and out of my face

Argan oil to tame frizz

Peppermint oil for scalp irritation/itchiness/dandruff

Grapeseed oil for shine (very oily on my hair so don't use it often, mainly for skin)

Coconut oil for dry scalp

Castor oil for growth

Thinking about trying avocado oil soon

Ahhhh okay I would like to dry olive but breaking out... I'll keep it away from my face. I have coconut and castor, but argan and peppermint is definitely on my list. :)

I love jojoba oil because it's light. It doesn't weigh my hair down.

Perfect! Will give it a go.

For my face I use rosehip oil,
For my hair I use argan oil which is my favourite for my dry ends.
Coconut oil I like to use this as a mask or overnight before a wash.
Jojoba oil I like this as its light and sometimes I add it on to my ends.
Advocado oil tried it but I'm not sure about this as I haven't gave it a good go yet.
Olive oil really have to say this is my number 1 for slip I put it all over my hair an hour before shampoo.
Castor oil I use on my roots with Coconut oil mixed in.

Castor oil I've been using on my roots too! It is sooo heavy though. I'll be adding jojoba and avocado to my list, I will try olive next time I shampoo.

It seems to be highly individual. I took a quiz somewhere online, and it recommended sunflower and safflower oil for my hair. I heavily oil the day or several hours before I wash. I like the results so far.

Oooo do you heavily oil with those two or something else?

I started using sweet almond oil recently and really like it. I use jojoba oil on my skin mostly but occasionally on my hair as well. My hair and scalp did NOT agree with coconut oil the few times I used that, so I avoid it.

Yeah I'm scared to try coconut because of what i've heard, but I might give it a go....

I prepoo with coconut oil because it’s said to be a penetrating oil and it works very nice in my hair.
I put a little drop of argan oil (because it makes my hair soft) and broccoli seed oil because it’s said to be like an oil version of silicone on my length on damp hair after washing. My hair stays soft and doesn’t look oily.

Never thought of BROCCOLI seed oil! I might need to look into that one.

I use argon oil on my ends, makes my hair so soft and slippery! I love it, it doesn’t look oily either.

I use a mixture of oils on my scalp which help promote hair growth:
Organic castor oil, Organic cold pressed coconut oil, Lavender essential oil, Peppermint essential oil, Ginger essential oil, Natural Vitamin E, Nettle and Horsetail herbs.

Oooo wow!I think I need to make that concoction :D

For facial oil (cleansing and moisturising) I use a mix containing apricot kernel, grape seed, argan, vitamin e - plus essential oils added for fragrance only.

Hair salve I use babassu oil and shea butter with essential oils.

Oh wow, i've not heard of some of those, will add to my list :)

I’m experimenting with camellia oil at the moment...I’ve only used it once, just this morning on dry hair, and it gave my plait a nice sheen without looking greasy. From what I’ve been able to find out so far, it’s likely to be similar to olive oil in terms of penetration potential, but similar to jojoba in its sebum-like qualities. On my skin, it seemed less greasy than the rose hip oil I had been using, so I’ll definitely keep trying it for both face and hair for a while longer.

Oh that sounds absolutely amazing, pretty perfect too!! I think rose hip is quite expensive here so i've stayed away...

Sweet almond and JBCO mixed with a conditioner is my favorite go-to DT. I love coconut oil for my skin. I live in a very cold climate and we have hard water, so my poor skin gets painfully dry during the winter months. Unrefined coconut oil helps me a lot! I also cook with it frequently (out of a different jar!)

Ooo I think I will make that mixture.... My skin is definitely dry at the mo...

Thank you everyone :D
I've ordered Peppermint essential oil and camellia, jojoba, and argan oils to add to my collection of sweet almond and castor oil.

Finda
February 15th, 2021, 11:27 AM
I've done a bit of searching and couldn't find much information, though my phone is being quite stupid right now so that might be why...

What is your favourite hair oil and why? I'm about to purchase some oils to make a face wash but I thought I'd see if I could use them on my hair. :)

I'm currently using sweet almond oil and castor oil, I've stayed away from coconut as I hear it can be quite crunchy. I'm thinking of buying almond, jojoba and perhaps argan oil?

Thank you :blossom:

That depends on the hairtype. I use coconut oil before a wash because it can penetrate the hairshaft and help with hygral fatigue, in case that's an issue for you.

This is a good article about different oils and how they work on the hair. It also has a list of various oils and their properties.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

lapushka
February 15th, 2021, 05:49 PM
Oh sounds amazing! I've been using sweet almond oil on both and it feels lovely, but I do put too much on my hair sometimes haha... Need to try that rinse :D

An oil rinse is great (use about 10/15 drops of any natural oil) if you want to keep your ends moisturized, let's say... if you are a weekly washer and it matters to keep moisture in the hair that long. It really helps.

The-Young-Maid
February 15th, 2021, 06:20 PM
Coconut oil is the only oil I can use on my face and hair. I've tried many. Other oils build up on my hair nearly instantly locking out water, causing my hair to become dry. Coconut oil penetrates therefore I can use it daily without issue. I have incredibly sensitive skin and this is the only thing beside Dove soap it can tolerate.

Dark40
February 15th, 2021, 06:23 PM
My favorite oils are for overall dry hair and scalp is extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil. I really love coconut oil. It really works well for me. I know that it doesn't work well for some others. I also love jojoba oil as well and morocan oil, carrot oil, kiwi oil, broccoli seed oil, and kemi oil. The kind of oil I like to use on the face is baby oil.

Rini
February 16th, 2021, 12:44 AM
I've tried lots of different oils: coconut, macadamia, olive, camellia, argan, jojoba, almond, rosehip, castor........I've never found anything spectacular for my hair. Right now, I'm using mineral oil (just baby oil) both in the rinse-off method and also as a leave-in/serum. I'm having good results with that, so I'll stick with it until I decide to try something else :D

foreveryours
February 16th, 2021, 02:14 AM
Coconut oil is my old standby. My hair soaks it up like a sponge. Every day a pea size gob each side washed out twice a week. I wanted so much for mineral oil to work for me back when I was trying to "stretch" washes as it doesn't support microbial growth but the MO I have is fairly viscous, like castor oil, even the Castrol I use in my car, so, while not a heavy as vaseline, it's only slightly better. If I could find a very lightweight MO sort of like I'm trying now (a Bumble & Bumble knockoff oil/serum from Sally's) I'd jump on it.

lapushka
February 16th, 2021, 11:36 AM
For those in Belgium? Just a quick FYI. They sell castor oil, for €2.49 at "Action", for 150ml! Bargain, you guys!
https://www.action.com/nl-be/p/castorolie-/

Yes, it's pure castor oil. I got it as well, a while ago (2019). I still have to use it! If I finish my sweet almond oil, I will do this one for my oil rinses.

jane_marie
February 16th, 2021, 12:17 PM
After a lot of trial and error I have found that my hair prefers sunflower oil, argan oil, and jojoba.

It seems like it sunflower oil does the most for it.

When I still had a lot of bleach damage my bleached lengths seemed to benefit from hempseed oil and ghee.