PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Hair - Hot Springs in the Yukon!

trolleypup
February 13th, 2021, 08:29 AM
We could win!

Frozen Hair! (https://hairfreezingcontest.com/)

Brethil
February 13th, 2021, 09:22 AM
We'd have to have some one to help holding our hair out to it's full length.

lapushka
February 13th, 2021, 10:41 AM
Oh man, that is amazing!!! :D Absolutely loved those images.

Hope they let it melt by pouring some water over it, cause that is breakage waiting to happen. And why... do I think of that? :lol: ;)

Cg
February 13th, 2021, 10:53 AM
My hair has frozen more than once, yet never did I experience any breakage. This was long before LHC, and I took absolutely no pains to protect it. Ice broken before melting didn't take the hair shaft with it. Of course I wasn't trying to win some dubious award.

Jane99
February 13th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Very dynamic photos! But despite CG’s experience, I too would be worried about breakage!

lapis_lazuli
February 13th, 2021, 11:13 AM

Hope they let it melt by pouring some water over it, cause that is breakage waiting to happen. And why... do I think of that? :lol: ;)

Noo that was my first thought too! And the weight of it...and the tangles! Ahhhh!

The pictures look awesome but I'll have to sit this one out :lol:

Feral_
February 13th, 2021, 12:11 PM
I’ve had frozen hair and eyelashes before. I didn’t experience any breakage as it thawed. Those images are pure art. And apologies, this might be TMI, but I find the male one with frozen body hair strangely erotic! I don’t know what that says about me :laugh:

Tinyponies
February 13th, 2021, 12:29 PM
I’ve had frozen hair and eyelashes before. I didn’t experience any breakage as it thawed. Those images are pure art. And apologies, this might be TMI, but I find the male one with frozen body hair strangely erotic! I don’t know what that says about me :laugh:
Haha!!

I was just staring at the girl with the frozen beard wig...

Brethil
February 13th, 2021, 12:46 PM

Presumably you can melt it by just ducking back in the hot spring. You can see where a little bit of "most creative"s hair got accidentally dipped.

JasminxCat
February 13th, 2021, 01:32 PM
O_O.....
My hair would hate this. My hair becomes very brittle in the cold, wouldn't like to find out what happens if it was frozen solid

FaeBroom
February 13th, 2021, 01:39 PM
Haha they're all hysterical! Even the body hair on the men is frozen, absolutely crazy. I hope there's a direct route from the heated indoors to the hot water, otherwise I wouldn't want to get out of the water until springtime 🥶

Feral_
February 13th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Haha!!

I was just staring at the girl with the frozen beard wig...

It’s so ‘not normal’ it’s awesome!

Wavelength
February 13th, 2021, 02:11 PM
Okay, this is hilariously amazing and kind of genius. Love it!

MissMuse
February 13th, 2021, 02:56 PM
These are awesome! I had no idea this was even possible. Adding this hot spring to my to-do-list if we are ever allowed to travel again.

Lesley8
February 13th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Those cheered me up lol
Amazing pics! But I definitely don't think I'd like to try that:D

BuddhaBelle
February 13th, 2021, 03:32 PM
That’s so fun! :D Id love to see something with classic plus length do a massive frozen mohawk :laugh:

Shorty89
February 13th, 2021, 09:40 PM
That’s so fun! :D Id love to see something with classic plus length do a massive frozen mohawk :laugh:

I've always wanted to try putting my hair in a mohawk but the damage from a traditional one. I could maybe manage a frozen one. I bet I could step outside and do it actually it's -30 out now. :lol: But I don't want to stand outside that long! I did freeze pants during our last polar vortex and that seemed to take forever.

Brethil
February 13th, 2021, 10:22 PM
I've always wanted to try putting my hair in a mohawk but the damage from a traditional one. I could maybe manage a frozen one. I bet I could step outside and do it actually it's -30 out now. :lol: But I don't want to stand outside that long! I did freeze pants during our last polar vortex and that seemed to take forever.

Apparently it only takes a few minutes when it's that cold.

I'd consider doing this myself, but it's not quite cold enough here. If you decide to give it a go, PLEASE take pics! I really want to see what it looks like on long hair.

BuddhaBelle
February 14th, 2021, 01:57 AM

My god I would love to see that!!! Honestly in England we are all freezing because it’s gone now to -7, I cannot imagine it being that cold!!! Please do it but wrap up nice and toasty :lol:

Bat
February 14th, 2021, 03:08 AM
I'm more worried about dunking your head in a hot spring! Years ago in NZ there were rules stating dipping your head Under is bad cause of parasites etc that could go in your ears, not to mention what drastic change in temperature could do to your health

Feral_
February 14th, 2021, 03:19 AM
I'm more worried about dunking your head in a hot spring! Years ago in NZ there were rules stating dipping your head Under is bad cause of parasites etc that could go in your ears, not to mention what drastic change in temperature could do to your health

I haven’t heard about the risk of parasites so cannot comment on that. However temperature changes are actually beneficial for the body - once accustomed to it. Wim Hof etc. A couple of friends have a lake in part of their garden and they wild swim every day - even recently here in the UK when it was snowing they were in!

Bat
February 14th, 2021, 03:26 AM
Yikes no :tmi:

Hexen
February 14th, 2021, 03:39 AM
Wow! That was abstract. And, could be even yet another reason why I might post in the hair envy thread lol.

Some of them reminded me of the "Kazon" from Star Trek Voyager!

But hot springs are natures gift. Hot, and flowing. Not stagnant... therefore not conducive to parasitic growth.

lakhesis
February 14th, 2021, 06:26 AM
That looks fun :D and congrats on winning!

Ylva
February 14th, 2021, 12:39 PM

Like Feral_ wrote above, drastic temperature changes can be very beneficial for health. Going from a close to 100C sauna to swim in a hole in the ice is a pretty common practice here, and known to be excellent for circulation, for example. Also, increasing the body temperature to "fake fever" actually has the same antiviral benefits as "real fever". A bit OT but anyway.

I don't think I'll be trying this this winter, but maybe next year.

Bill D.
February 14th, 2021, 04:27 PM
But hot springs are natures gift. Hot, and flowing. Not stagnant... therefore not conducive to parasitic growth.

Regrettably that's not the case. A number of people have died over the decades from a parasitic amoeba occasionally found in hot springs, though in the overwhelming majority of cases where people are exposed to the organism they do not get sick.

Mayo Clinic (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/naegleria-infection/symptoms-causes/syc-20375470)
Centers for Disease Control (https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/index.html)
Mono County, California sheriff (https://monocounty.ca.gov/sheriff/page/tragic-death-caused-brain-eating-amoeba)
Reuters (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-parasite-hot-springs/warm-freshwater-can-harbor-dangerous-parasite-idUSKBN1W52BM)

Hexen
February 14th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Regrettably that's not the case. A number of people have died over the decades from a parasitic amoeba occasionally found in hot springs, though in the overwhelming majority of cases where people are exposed to the organism they do not get sick.

Mayo Clinic (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/naegleria-infection/symptoms-causes/syc-20375470)
Centers for Disease Control (https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/index.html)
Mono County, California sheriff (https://monocounty.ca.gov/sheriff/page/tragic-death-caused-brain-eating-amoeba)
Reuters (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-parasite-hot-springs/warm-freshwater-can-harbor-dangerous-parasite-idUSKBN1W52BM)

Parasitic infection can happen sure. But as I said, the conditions aren't conducive to it. Therefore not very common.
But I was also thinking bacterial as opposed to parasitic as well.

Jane99
February 15th, 2021, 06:25 AM
We rented a lake house for my cousin’s wedding some years ago. It was an April 2 wedding which is still very cold in Upstate NY with snow still. There was a hot tub on the deck and we did a 3am hot tub to lake swim. Jumping into the freezing cold lake felt like suffocation, it felt like all the air left my lungs in an instant. No, it was probably not the safest or most responsible thing I’ve done in my life but after warming back up in the hot tub, I felt very much alive. Like Ylva says, something about the temperature difference was quite invigorating. I did not notice the effect it had on my hair at the time

KokoroDragon
February 15th, 2021, 10:47 PM
Every New Year my partner, his brother, and I cut a hole in the lake and sit in the water for a few minutes before going into a hot sauna. It's a way for us to connect with our Scandinavian heritage. I can't say anything about frozen hair, since the lake isn't deep enough to put our head in (we can barely go down to our shoulders while crouching, it's only thigh deep) but it's a nice invigorating way to start off the year!

Feral_
February 16th, 2021, 04:26 AM
We rented a lake house for my cousin’s wedding some years ago. It was an April 2 wedding which is still very cold in Upstate NY with snow still. There was a hot tub on the deck and we did a 3am hot tub to lake swim. Jumping into the freezing cold lake felt like suffocation, it felt like all the air left my lungs in an instant. No, it was probably not the safest or most responsible thing I’ve done in my life but after warming back up in the hot tub, I felt very much alive. Like Ylva says, something about the temperature difference was quite invigorating. I did not notice the effect it had on my hair at the time

That suffocation feeling is your vagus nerve response to cold water shock. It’s what kills many people when they go into cold water and then panic. Divers and water technicians learn how overcome this. The good news is you can train your vagus nerve - like others on this thread have mentioned, by exposure to cold water.

I have ice baths regularly after running or weight training - I freeze water in ice cream tubs and put them in a bathtub of cold water. I sit in for 15 mins while the mini icebergs melt. Get out and put warm dry clothes on and feel alive!

Over time this trains your vagus nerve which can prolong the reaction times of the fight, flight, freeze responses (standard sympathetic nervous response). This means you are less 'triggered' by external stimuli in work and personal life. Basically cold water therapy causes a similar nervous system response to meditation and/or yoga. Lots of scientific journals on it :)