PDA

View Full Version : Multi curl pattern in ones head + Frizz!!

Leena
February 5th, 2021, 01:18 AM
Hey Everybody, i hope U all doing good :)

I have been following the curly girl methods for over a year now. For heat, I have stopped using any type of heat for [ 4 years ] right now. I have problem that my hair from the roots till the ear is straight and the front + top sections are the frizziest and does not curl at all compared to lower section of my hair (under the ear). it does not look flattering at all No matter what products or techniques i used.

- I section my hair then apply the products, i also ensured that each strand is fully absorbed then plop my hair then air-dry but after a while the front section (including left and right sides) start to frizz i see a lot of strand does not clump at all. I tried increasing the amount of product and finger coil but all i get same result with a greasy feeling. :( :shrug:

- my city has a HOT + DRY climate (not humid) so i'm using products that does not have Glycerin in them plus to sulfate +silicones ...etc. Currently i'm using (Camile rose naturals products: the milk leave in and Aloe butter gel). i guess my hair falls into 3a-3b curl pattern. I spent weeks seeing different methods and products used but i get the same thing. Now i'm run out of ideas and money to spend on products :(:(.

I dont really care if the frizzest part curl or not but i hate the frizz its looks like i have not brushed my hair. Has anyone got the same problem and found a solution?

stardust lady
February 5th, 2021, 02:05 AM
I have a similar problem as you. The crown of my head has straight hair - somewhere between 1b and 1c. The underlayers range from 2b to 2c, with very large, loose spirals. I tried the curly girl method, I tried plopping, I tried diffuse blow drying, co-washing, etc. Many people said the top was straight due to damage. Well, after having most of my head shaved and growing everything out without using heat or exposing it to the sun, it STILL grew in with a mixed texture.

So ultimately, I started using sulfates and silicones and my hair is probably better now than it's ever been (except maybe when I was a teenager and it was all 1b/1c textured). :shrug:

I don't have any answers for you, since you have a tighter curl pattern than I do, but I do have suggestions. First of all, visit the Hair Typing thread and post some pics of your hair. They suggest washing and letting it air dry without any styling, products or manipulation. They can give you a good answer as to what your hair type is. From there, you can find other threads that are specific to your type.

As far as the multiple textures are concerned, if you are wanting to have curly hair all over, you might have luck doing amla treatments. Amla is an herb that is known for boosting natural curls and waves. If you want to encourage it to be straighter, there's always henna. If you don't have very dark hair and don't want red hair though, stay far away from henna. It has straightened out my underlayer a bit though, so I'm a big fan.

Lastly, I suspect that the reason you are getting greasy feeling hair that is frizzing is due to the products you are currently using. I would suggest using flax seed gel. You can look up instructions on how to make it at home. I still think you will probably need to do an occasional clarifying shampoo. If you aren't doing that already, that will really improve the situation. Very diluted vinegar rinses every now and then can also help with that. So can chelating rinses, especially if you have hard water.

That's all I can think of right now. I hope something in there is helpful to you. Having mixed textured hair is really frustrating, so I feel your pain.

lapushka
February 5th, 2021, 05:12 AM
If you are "curly girl", do make sure to clarify regularly (use a sulfate shampoo at least once to 2x a month), otherwise hair can become lifeless & limp and your curls might suffer for it.

When is the last time you did that? :)

Leena
February 5th, 2021, 05:32 AM
I have a similar problem as you. The crown of my head has straight hair - somewhere between 1b and 1c. The underlayers range from 2b to 2c, with very large, loose spirals. I tried the curly girl method, I tried plopping, I tried diffuse blow drying, co-washing, etc. Many people said the top was straight due to damage. Well, after having most of my head shaved and growing everything out without using heat or exposing it to the sun, it STILL grew in with a mixed texture.

So ultimately, I started using sulfates and silicones and my hair is probably better now than it's ever been (except maybe when I was a teenager and it was all 1b/1c textured). :shrug:

I don't have any answers for you, since you have a tighter curl pattern than I do, but I do have suggestions. First of all, visit the Hair Typing thread and post some pics of your hair. They suggest washing and letting it air dry without any styling, products or manipulation. They can give you a good answer as to what your hair type is. From there, you can find other threads that are specific to your type.

As far as the multiple textures are concerned, if you are wanting to have curly hair all over, you might have luck doing amla treatments. Amla is an herb that is known for boosting natural curls and waves. If you want to encourage it to be straighter, there's always henna. If you don't have very dark hair and don't want red hair though, stay far away from henna. It has straightened out my underlayer a bit though, so I'm a big fan.

Lastly, I suspect that the reason you are getting greasy feeling hair that is frizzing is due to the products you are currently using. I would suggest using flax seed gel. You can look up instructions on how to make it at home. I still think you will probably need to do an occasional clarifying shampoo. If you aren't doing that already, that will really improve the situation. Very diluted vinegar rinses every now and then can also help with that. So can chelating rinses, especially if you have hard water.

That's all I can think of right now. I hope something in there is helpful to you. Having mixed textured hair is really frustrating, so I feel your pain.

you know that i always have this idea of shaving my head and maybe when it grows again it will be fixed but you kinda debunked that. I don't really care if it curls at the top or not but i HATE
the frizz! but i will definitely check the Alma treatment. Henna is my enemy >< , when i was young i used to put on henna then when i wash it i apply oil after it but i figured that Henna is drying my hair more and more and i cannot see its effectiveness on my hair.

i really appreciate your comment and you did help thanks :D

Leena
February 5th, 2021, 05:34 AM
If you are "curly girl", do make sure to clarify regularly (use a sulfate shampoo at least once to 2x a month), otherwise hair can become lifeless & limp and your curls might suffer for it.

When is the last time you did that? :)

I do use a Sulfate shampoo once a month.

even though i have been seeing people that uses SLS free shampoo to clean their hair from silicones and such and found out that Sulfate-free shampoo can clean your hair as much as the regular

lapushka
February 5th, 2021, 05:38 AM
I do use a Sulfate shampoo once a month.

even though i have been seeing people that uses SLS free shampoo to clean their hair from silicones and such and found out that Sulfate-free shampoo can clean your hair as much as the regular

Yeah, I wouldn't bet on a sulfate-free shampoo to do the same as a sulfate shampoo where getting all the gunk off of your hair is concerned. I have seborrheic dermatitis and I did use a more clarifying sulfate-free (lemon verbena from Avalon Organics) at one time. I still got flare-ups due to my scalp not having been cleansed enough.

So do try to keep sneaking in that sulfate, if you can. If you moisturize well enough afterwards there is no issue. Maybe try doing it 2x a month? Maybe it's just not enough. I would try and do it right now, see how it feels after. If it feels better, might be that you need to do it more often.

I think many people forget that shampoo is not supposed to be moisturizing, it needs to strip all of it off, and then you can add the moisture back in with good conditioners & masks (they have to be good though, so usually the ones for dry/damaged hair, aka the most moisturizing ones on the market).

stardust lady
February 5th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Do you happen to know anything about the water where you live? I usually just Google "[city] + water hardness". I used to live in a city with ~300ppm, which is some of the hardest water in my country, and I noticed a big difference when I started chelating. I use Alluvial from Nightblooming on Etsy, and it's lasting a super long time. I got the jar with the scoop and just put a scoop in a mason jar and take it with me to shower. After I shampoo and condition, I fill it up with water and pour it into my hair, then rinse out after a couple minutes. Sometimes I also soak my hair in it for 15 minutes. My new city has ~180ppm and chelating still helps it. You can also just look up a recipe to make a chelating rinse, but I'm lazy and like to buy it premade.

Another thing: it could help to get a clarifying shampoo instead of just a regular sulfate shampoo, since those help remove chlorine. The combination of increasing your clarification plus increasing moisture should definitely help. Check out SMT treatments on here if you haven't already.

Obsidian
February 5th, 2021, 02:54 PM
I have multiple textures too. Straight at the top, gradually morphing into waves at the sides and finally into curls at the back.
The CG method was terrible for my hair. I did have a few really nice curls but mostly it was a frizzy mess. Products just weigh my hair down and make it feel greasy.

I finally gave up treating my hair like a curly and went back to shampoo/conditioning, wrapping hair in a towel till part dry then brushing it out.
Once I have the part in and the hair mostly where I want it, I scrunch it. Usually with no product, maybe a little coney serum or some aloe gel.
If it seems frizzy once dry, I'll smooth on a little oil of some sort. Usually a petroleum based oil as my hair doesn't really like plant oils except for jojoba.

blackgothicdoll
February 9th, 2021, 10:03 PM
Multiple textures is a thing. The front of my hair is very loose compared to the 4s on the rest of my head- frizzy 2s, maybe. While heat and physical manipulation can cause this (repeatedly brushing down the top of your hair, for example), sometimes it's just there, like a birthmark. After Multiple chops the front of my hair has stayed the same. I like just doing half ups, or rope braiding it out of the way.

stardust lady
February 11th, 2021, 04:18 AM
I have multiple textures too. Straight at the top, gradually morphing into waves at the sides and finally into curls at the back.
The CG method was terrible for my hair. I did have a few really nice curls but mostly it was a frizzy mess. Products just weigh my hair down and make it feel greasy.

I finally gave up treating my hair like a curly and went back to shampoo/conditioning, wrapping hair in a towel till part dry then brushing it out.
Once I have the part in and the hair mostly where I want it, I scrunch it. Usually with no product, maybe a little coney serum or some aloe gel.
If it seems frizzy once dry, I'll smooth on a little oil of some sort. Usually a petroleum based oil as my hair doesn't really like plant oils except for jojoba.

Wow, your description of your hair is exactly how I would describe my hair. I tried styling it curly for way too long and I've totally given up, and now I'm just doing everything I can to make it look straighter.

It used to have this texture: https://imgur.com/a/ojKIyXu
And now it has this texture underneath: https://imgur.com/a/LEXUFBw
And this on top: https://imgur.com/a/MKPtWGW

So frustrating.

spidermom
February 11th, 2021, 07:39 AM
I have crazy mixed up hair, too. Even with a very precise cut, it always looks uneven when I air-dry it because some areas curl up and other areas are straight. Frizz comes and goes.