PDA

View Full Version : Hair texture has changed

Breezy
February 3rd, 2021, 09:37 PM
Hello beautiful people. I am having a problem with the texture of my hair changing. First I will tell you about my hair. It is almost bsl medium thickness, and it is wavy. I have growing out bangs to my chin(still very annoying) Well, that's how it was, now it is a tight wave and its puffy and I really don't like it.,except the front part of my head is still loose waves. I keep wetting it with different products to get it to lay down, but it only puffs out again! I am 57 could it be my horomones changing my hair? Am I doomed to have short hair, or should I keep letting it grow and maybe it will look better? I've tried all kinds of deep conditioners, coconut oil, olive oil. However, if you have any ideas, thoughts for me I would really appreciate it. If this has happend to you let me know! Thanks so much!;)

WavyWannabe
February 4th, 2021, 01:42 AM
It's completely normal and fairly common for hair texture to change with age, hormonal variations, or just when it feels like it ;)
I can't really offer advice regarding the "poof", other than to make sure it's conditioned/moisturized (duh) or to embrace the volume (again, duh).
Check out the wavy/wurly and wurly/curly threads, they'll know better than me :)

Bat
February 4th, 2021, 04:19 AM
Hello beautiful people. I am having a problem with the texture of my hair changing. First I will tell you about my hair. It is almost bsl medium thickness, and it is wavy. I have growing out bangs to my chin(still very annoying) Well, that's how it was, now it is a tight wave and its puffy and I really don't like it.,except the front part of my head is still loose waves. I keep wetting it with different products to get it to lay down, but it only puffs out again! I am 57 could it be my horomones changing my hair? Am I doomed to have short hair, or should I keep letting it grow and maybe it will look better? I've tried all kinds of deep conditioners, coconut oil, olive oil. However, if you have any ideas, thoughts for me I would really appreciate it. If this has happend to you let me know! Thanks so much!;)

I can relate my textures has changed the last year I'm not a fan of my new texture either, it is something I think we get used to over time, I'm in the denial and angry stage myself

lapushka
February 4th, 2021, 06:22 AM

Oh yep. Definitely. Hormones can do a number on you!

What's your routine like now, for styling it, I mean, after the wash?

aenflex
February 4th, 2021, 09:02 AM
I agree with others, visit the wavy/curly threads here.

I have wavy/curly hair and puffiness has been a part of my life since as far back as I can remember. I have found that as I age, my wave and curl patterns change. I've found I need to use different drying and styling tactics, as well as different products.

If you're letting your hair air dry and it's puffing out, perhaps it's time to try a different drying method. When you wet your hair, you break the hydrogen bonds, and how you dry your hair will play a big role in how the finished products looks, especially with curly hair. So my first idea is to examine how you are drying your hair. (I let mine dry in a bun, or overnight under a satin sleeping bonnet - but either way, I'm using a bun to train my hair into shape as the hydrogen bonds reform after wetting) Braiding until dry is another option that can result in lasting, beautiful waves. Of course heat styling is also another option, one that I typically avoid, but that's just me.
I have not air dried my hair since I was like 12, seriously.

Another option is delving into the curly girl method. If you're unfamiliar, it's a method to maximizing your curls for the best possible outcome. I don't follow it in it's entirety, but some aspects have been valuable to me. Perhaps it's time to re-examine the products you use as well.

WHEN IN DOUBT - clarify and chelate. Honestly I do it all in one step with Malibu C crystals. A nice reset, a thorough removing of mineral and product build up is necessary for my hair at least once every few months. Build up can to awful things to hair. I highly recommend you to look into this. I use the crystals after washing, and then apply dee conditioner to my damp hair and go under my heat cap for 30 minutes.

Anyway, that's just a little advice to get you started. Best of luck with things.

ipickee
February 4th, 2021, 09:33 AM
My hair is just wavy enough to be annoying. Right now, it's very short, and I've started the growth process (again).
However, when it was waist length, my curls tended to even themselves out due to weight and Henna, which seems to be a natural relaxer.
Also, jojoba oil was great for my hair with smoothing any frizz and helping tame fly away strands.

Cg
February 4th, 2021, 12:29 PM
I don't know what they are called, but there is a product that you wrap your damp hair with so that it lies flat against the scalp. Maybe an overnight thing. I have no experience with it but a niece used that when her hair was long. Now she relaxes her hair, but it's short so any damage is regularly cut off. Google search might turn up whatever that was. I vaguely remember it being a long windable one-piece thingy. Sorry for the hazy description.

Dark40
February 4th, 2021, 03:35 PM
I agree with others, visit the wavy/curly threads here.

I have wavy/curly hair and puffiness has been a part of my life since as far back as I can remember. I have found that as I age, my wave and curl patterns change. I've found I need to use different drying and styling tactics, as well as different products.

If you're letting your hair air dry and it's puffing out, perhaps it's time to try a different drying method. When you wet your hair, you break the hydrogen bonds, and how you dry your hair will play a big role in how the finished products looks, especially with curly hair. So my first idea is to examine how you are drying your hair. (I let mine dry in a bun, or overnight under a satin sleeping bonnet - but either way, I'm using a bun to train my hair into shape as the hydrogen bonds reform after wetting) Braiding until dry is another option that can result in lasting, beautiful waves. Of course heat styling is also another option, one that I typically avoid, but that's just me.
I have not air dried my hair since I was like 12, seriously.

Another option is delving into the curly girl method. If you're unfamiliar, it's a method to maximizing your curls for the best possible outcome. I don't follow it in it's entirety, but some aspects have been valuable to me. Perhaps it's time to re-examine the products you use as well.

WHEN IN DOUBT - clarify and chelate. Honestly I do it all in one step with Malibu C crystals. A nice reset, a thorough removing of mineral and product build up is necessary for my hair at least once every few months. Build up can to awful things to hair. I highly recommend you to look into this. I use the crystals after washing, and then apply dee conditioner to my damp hair and go under my heat cap for 30 minutes.

Anyway, that's just a little advice to get you started. Best of luck with things.

Hey, I've also heard of Malibu C products too many years ago, and I've also seen their crystals on their website using them after you wash. But I've never tried using them after washing though. Even though they are on the more pricey side I've read and heard that they are really good products, and some of the famous movie stars and people uses the products. Like, "Jane Seymour."

Dark40
February 4th, 2021, 03:36 PM

Hey, I'm 49 and will be 50 this coming October, and I've started to notice my hair texture change a couple of years ago at the age of 48. So, hormones definitely plays a part in hair texture change.

aenflex
February 4th, 2021, 05:30 PM
You can buy the small sachets of Mailbu crystals on Amazon for a couple USD. 5-6 last me a year. FWIW

Dark40
February 4th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Oh, ok cool. Thank you for letting me know that. I never knew that you could get the Malibu crystals on Amazon for a couple USD 5-6 I bet it would last you a year. What is FWIW?

Breezy
February 4th, 2021, 06:41 PM
thank you wavywannabe. I will try to embrace it. I love your long hair, cant wait for mine to get longer.

Breezy
February 4th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Oh yep. Definitely. Hormones can do a number on you!

What's your routine like now, for styling it, I mean, after the wash?

Hi Lapushka, What I do is wash it in the morning, then I apply a leave in conditioner and then gel. I let it air dry. I try not to touch it. It takes all day to air dry, but I like how it looks and I have a pretty good hair day. I just started this routine. I usually bun it at night and in the morning take it down and its a mess. So I wet it and restyle it like the previous day. but for some reason when it dries it gets more puffy and it doesnt look like day one. It appears my hair is super thick, but it is just volume. My layers are prett;y much grown out too. I think it will look better when it gets longer I hope. On days when it gets kinky waves and puffy my hair appears shorter to me. Strange.

Breezy
February 4th, 2021, 07:10 PM
It's completely normal and fairly common for hair texture to change with age, hormonal variations, or just when it feels like it ;)
I can't really offer advice regarding the "poof", other than to make sure it's conditioned/moisturized (duh) or to embrace the volume (again, duh).
Check out the wavy/wurly and wurly/curly threads, they'll know better than me :)

Thank you WavyWannabe! I appreciate your advice! I will check out the wavy/wurly threads for sure. :)

Breezy
February 4th, 2021, 07:24 PM
I can relate my textures has changed the last year I'm not a fan of my new texture either, it is something I think we get used to over time, I'm in the denial and angry stage myself

Ahhh, I appreciate what you wrote about getting used to it over time....and with that said, there will be more hair growth, it will be longer, yay! But Bat, I know we are still not happy about our texture change, what happend to your texture? How long is your hair and what are your goals? I tell ya, I felt like shaving my head because of this

stardust lady
February 5th, 2021, 02:39 AM
I first started having this problem as I approached my mid 20s. It was previously straight as a kid, then it turned into beachy waves, and then finally it started spiraling underneath. I had no idea what to do with it. I tried treating it like it was straight, that didn't work. Tried treating it like it was curly, also didn't work. Heat styling left me with straw-like hair that still frizzed.

The things I do now that make my hair currently lay down and look pretty silky is sulfate shampoo a few times a week, clarifying and chelating regularly, never let it be exposed to the sun for long periods of time, no heat, no super hot water (just warm), a bit of silicones (I like Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum) after washing, using henna, and bunning it as it's drying. That has taken my hair from a frizzy lions mane to very smooth and silky, but still with some volume. Switching to a silk pillowcase also seemed to help.

Try not to sweat the volume. That's probably just a result of your texture. I had a straight perm done to mine a couple years ago and I ended up hating the lack of volume. It just didn't look right on me. Since then I've really learned to embrace it. People often to go great lengths to get more volume.

lapushka
February 5th, 2021, 05:02 AM
Hi Lapushka, What I do is wash it in the morning, then I apply a leave in conditioner and then gel. I let it air dry. I try not to touch it. It takes all day to air dry, but I like how it looks and I have a pretty good hair day. I just started this routine. I usually bun it at night and in the morning take it down and its a mess. So I wet it and restyle it like the previous day. but for some reason when it dries it gets more puffy and it doesnt look like day one. It appears my hair is super thick, but it is just volume. My layers are prett;y much grown out too. I think it will look better when it gets longer I hope. On days when it gets kinky waves and puffy my hair appears shorter to me. Strange.

Just FYI. You can diffuse on cool/warm (slightly warm), as long as it's not burning your hand, it's fine for the hair, and *perfectly* fine at that. I too like airdrying, and I do it 2-4H after my hair comes out the microfiber towel (30min.), but I would need 8H+ for it to be fully dry, and... nope, refuse. On top of that I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis, and my hair can't stay wet for that amount of time.

Sounds like a good routine. Something moisturizing, and then a gel. I would maybe try a curl cream + gel (usually what I do).

I omitted my gel this week, because I have a leave-in (Aunt Jackie's "Quench!") that doesn't like other products, aka flakes like mad, and my hair is way too shapeless. And my buns hardly hold.

Bat
February 5th, 2021, 05:08 AM
Ahhh, I appreciate what you wrote about getting used to it over time....and with that said, there will be more hair growth, it will be longer, yay! But Bat, I know we are still not happy about our texture change, what happend to your texture? How long is your hair and what are your goals? I tell ya, I felt like shaving my head because of this

Not long, it isnt even bottom of neck length yet and my goaI was floor length. I too almost wanted to shave it off,it was a struggle to keep going but honestly i believe even if I shave it off it will still possibly grow back different, but I'm thinking the change is age I'm mid 30s and have a lot of greys coming in