PDA

View Full Version : February 2021: Link Bun

neko_kawaii
February 1st, 2021, 08:44 AM
Gather hair into a ponytail, wrap all hair over and down behind two fingers, then under and around base of ponytail. Make a second loop over and down behind the same two fingers and then wrap the remaining length around the base. Insert stick through one loop and out the other.

This bun was created by our BrendaLoan but unfortunately her video tutorial has disappeared. Anyone want to make a video?

For more discussion and a few photos, check out the thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123612

bparnell75
February 1st, 2021, 11:10 AM
please someone make a tutorial. I am visual an need to see it done. There is not one on Youtube

Aredhel
February 1st, 2021, 12:16 PM
This is such a cute bun! I'd love to try this too, but definitely need a video to follow.:scared:

MusicalSpoons
February 1st, 2021, 12:25 PM
please someone make a tutorial. I am visual an need to see it done. There is not one on Youtube

Hmm, lapushka's explanation sort of makes it a bit clearer for me, maybe it might help you too:
Edit: and aredhel (didn't see your comment when I posted)

It looks a lot like a LWB times two. Then flipped open like a cinnabun/figure eight. Very nice bun. Thank you for sharing it. I don't think we had that bun yet!

Not that I've tried it yet! Will do soon.

lapushka
February 1st, 2021, 04:20 PM
You know what, Spoons? And this is bad. I can no longer make sense even of my explanation. Ugh!

bparnell75
February 1st, 2021, 05:06 PM
I've tried this. Where does the second loop come from?

KokoroDragon
February 1st, 2021, 09:30 PM
I understand how to do it, but my hair is nowhere near long enough! :justy: Let's see if I can elaborate on the instructions to make them easier to understand...

1. Gather the hair in a ponytail. Hold it with the thumb on the bottom and first two fingers (index and middle) on top.
2. Flip the hair up and over the two fingers on top, creating a loop around the fingers. The tail of the pony should now be hanging down, to one side of the base.
3. Bring the tail under the base and around the top once. Let it hang down, the same as in the previous step.
4. Flip the hair up and over the fingers again, creating the second loop, and wrap the rest of the hair around the base as before.
5. Take your fingers out of the loops and spread them so one is on either side of the bun. Insert your stick through the loops to secure.

Sorry if this doesn't help, I wish I could make a video for you all!

ETA: I just looked at the link thread, and now I'm not sure I understand after all!

scarlettepia
February 2nd, 2021, 12:44 AM
At first I thought how simple & then I got confused lol.. might give it a try tomorrow and see what I come up with. 🤨😁

Finda
February 2nd, 2021, 10:29 AM
Gather hair into a ponytail, wrap all hair over and down behind two fingers, then under and around base of ponytail. Make a second loop over and down behind the same two fingers and then wrap the remaining length around the base. Insert stick through one loop and out the other.

This bun was created by our BrendaLoan but unfortunately her video tutorial has disappeared. Anyone want to make a video?

For more discussion and a few photos, check out the thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123612

This is how I understood it, but not sure the insertion of the stick was correct?!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44364&d=1612286670

Finda
February 2nd, 2021, 11:07 AM
Or, after reading the instructions of the first page on the other thread I came up with this :confused:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44365&d=1612289003

tekla
February 2nd, 2021, 11:26 AM
Sorry for the off topic but what fork are you wearing, Finda? It's beautiful!

Finda
February 2nd, 2021, 11:36 AM
Sorry for the off topic but what fork are you wearing, Finda? It's beautiful!

Thank you, I love it :)
It's by this maker:https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20490. The thread also has the link to their etsy store.

tekla
February 2nd, 2021, 11:39 AM
Thank you!

neko_kawaii
February 2nd, 2021, 11:53 AM
How strange! I managed this one back in the day and now I can't get it to look like a link at all! *pout*

Cg
February 2nd, 2021, 12:09 PM
I formed this twice, using slightly different methods. Both looked nice but pulled down almost immediately, as most buns do in my slippery hair.

MusicalSpoons
February 2nd, 2021, 03:12 PM
Or, after reading the instructions of the first page on the other thread I came up with this :confused:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44365&d=1612289003

It's beautiful! Looks like an upside-down LWB to me :lol:

I tried a couple of times last night and ... nope. The first one sort of kind of looked like the right basic shape but without the middle prominent link (and barely held), and the second one was a total fail! I'll have to post pictures when I have some brainpower again. Would love to see a video for this. The 'simple' version sounds like a bun I already sometimes do and looks nothing like it because all the excess length is in the second loop, rather than two loops over the top of the excess length.

Finda
February 3rd, 2021, 10:07 AM
It's beautiful! Looks like an upside-down LWB to me :lol:

I tried a couple of times last night and ... nope. The first one sort of kind of looked like the right basic shape but without the middle prominent link (and barely held), and the second one was a total fail! I'll have to post pictures when I have some brainpower again. Would love to see a video for this. The 'simple' version sounds like a bun I already sometimes do and looks nothing like it because all the excess length is in the second loop, rather than two loops over the top of the excess length.

Thanks! I thought so, too. In fact, I double checked with a picture of an actual lwb to make sure there was a difference lol

The easier version that's described in the other thread (wrap around the fingers once and then around the base), I have done for as long as I know how to do buns. To me it was a precursor of the lwb when my hair wasn't long enough yet to wrap it around the fingers and the thumb.

Does anyone have a picture from back then to compare results? I wasn't able to find one.

PeonyBlue
February 3rd, 2021, 01:48 PM
This looks interesting...I’ve never tried a bun just from written instructions. If I get time in the next few days I’ll put a video together of my feeble flailings and see if I can do it :thumbsup:

BuddhaBelle
February 5th, 2021, 05:00 AM
I understand how to do it, but my hair is nowhere near long enough! :justy: Let's see if I can elaborate on the instructions to make them easier to understand...

1. Gather the hair in a ponytail. Hold it with the thumb on the bottom and first two fingers (index and middle) on top.
2. Flip the hair up and over the two fingers on top, creating a loop around the fingers. The tail of the pony should now be hanging down, to one side of the base.
3. Bring the tail under the base and around the top once. Let it hang down, the same as in the previous step.
4. Flip the hair up and over the fingers again, creating the second loop, and wrap the rest of the hair around the base as before.
5. Take your fingers out of the loops and spread them so one is on either side of the bun. Insert your stick through the loops to secure.

Sorry if this doesn't help, I wish I could make a video for you all!

ETA: I just looked at the link thread, and now I'm not sure I understand after all!

Good explanation! my hair just isn't long enough :(

bparnell75
February 5th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Please someone come to our rescue and make a tutorial for the link bun.

Laurel Rose
February 6th, 2021, 04:26 AM
https://i.imgur.com/MgP1dJl.jpg?1

Well, here's my final attempt. It looks similar I think? I wish I got a better angle and the stick wasn't so crooked. Oh well :shrug: I'm still learning how to take decent photos of the back of my head. I attempted like 10 different buns before this and I needed to give my arms a break.

irsviel
February 6th, 2021, 07:49 PM
I love this! I also love hair sticks. (I made one from porcelain but it is not glazed, I wonder what is the official point of view on its hair damaging properties.)

Strands
February 9th, 2021, 09:53 PM
Okay so done correctly, this looks a LOT like a LWB? Or am I doing this wrong?

MusicalSpoons
February 10th, 2021, 07:16 AM
https://i.imgur.com/MgP1dJl.jpg?1

Looks great! (And so shiny :crush:)

Okay so done correctly, this looks a LOT like a LWB? Or am I doing this wrong?

No, I don't think so, because it's supposed to have the bit crossing over in the middle to look like a link. I think Laurel Rose probably got it right. The photo on the original thread appears to look similar.

neko_kawaii
February 10th, 2021, 09:06 AM
I wonder if part of why it isn't looking "right" to me is that my shed has grown in enough to make my first loop significantly thicker than all other loops and that is throwing off the visual?

This is how it is supposed to look:
https://live.staticflickr.com/4126/35618610555_94a386d448.jpg

I'll give it another try and get a picture.

Finda
February 10th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Ah, thanks neko_kawaii, for sharing this picture. I had a similar result after one try but wasn't able to reproduce it.

PeonyBlue
February 11th, 2021, 08:09 PM
Well, I finally got around to make some sort of a video tutorial...hope this helps some who are struggling to make it. And please let me know if you think I should have done something different...written instructions can be vague (or perhaps I can be vague!)

Oh, and I should say, if you want to avoid the chit chat at the start...jump to the 3 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/hswvTaxG72g

neko_kawaii
February 12th, 2021, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the video! I caught a glimpse in the first time you did it where it does indeed look like three links in a chain but it was loose and you twisted the first loop to tighten the bun and it lost the shape. I've been doing this one repeatedly, trying different possible configurations and I have found that twisting during the construction of the first loop makes it a stronger bun, but I haven't managed to make it look like a chain again. Ah well, I have that picture from a few years ago.

PeonyBlue
February 12th, 2021, 11:03 PM
Oh! Is that what it’s meant to look like...3 links in a chain! That makes so much sense - I feel a bit slow that I didn’t twig before now :doh:

Time to try it again and see if I can get it to look like that again...I’ll post a pic if I can manage it!