PDA

View Full Version : lockdown haircut fails

leayellena
February 1st, 2021, 05:58 AM
I see in the media people of all ages and social statuses complaining about haircut fails at home. they try a brad mondo tutorial and fail, they try a tiktok tutorial - same results, they try to talk to hairdresser friends - it inevitably leads to fails, they zoom with hairdressers - they still fail. ok, with hairdresser saloons being closed because of lockdown, people are going desperate to recreate their (last) haircut or give it some shape or something. now people fail miserably with this.
is there any trick to recreate a saloon haircut? or if you can't go to a hairdresser you are either forced to let hair grow like a hippie or retort to Faye's trim?
let's collect lhc- and hairdresser- wisdom and help those people somehow.

Xlena
February 1st, 2021, 06:27 AM
Well, when I want to cut a couple cm what I do is I take the hair from the front, make it as straight as possible looking at the mirror and cut the length in the same direction the hair is. Then take the mid sections and cut it looking 3/4 and then the back parts looking to the side. I think a drawing will do the thing:

https://i.gyazo.com/2188a29877ecfe8bf93153866ce7c947.png

I've been doing this for years and it has worked, but of course it depends on the hair type. As we have similar hair types, I think this could work for you too xd

florenonite
February 1st, 2021, 06:33 AM
Honestly, I think most people at home are not going to successfully recreate a salon-level haircut on their first try. That's like someone who's never picked up knitting needles before making an intricate lace shawl for their first project.

Simple cuts like Feye's trims or a compact cut should be doable for most people, because you're doing the hair in one or two big chunks, so there's less margin for error.

Certainly there are people who successfully do things like complicated layers at home, and some of them do rival salon cuts, but generally-speaking that's not someone's first home haircut.

My suggestions for anyone doing their first home haircut would be:

Use good scissors. They should cut cleanly through a chunk of hair.
Cut off less than you think you want to, so you have room to even things up without it getting too short. Likewise, if your hair is currently long enough to put in a ponytail, then do not cut it so it is too short to put up. Ponytails (and braids and buns) hide all manner of jagged hemlines.
Keep it simple. If you've never done a home haircut before, then a simple hemline is your best bet.

Bat
February 1st, 2021, 06:53 AM
People have to study for a year or even get 3-4 year apprenticeship, it takes training, it isn't something that just anyone can do at a professional level

lapushka
February 1st, 2021, 08:48 AM
Yes, Feye's is around, also there's the compact cut official thread on this forum here on how to cut layers. There is a thread on spidermom's method here too.

If you lack inspiration, look around a little first before doing something impulsive, and that I think is the problem: impulsiveness. Not how to cut. Just not preparing, just going in half-assed, for lack of a better word and just... doing it! And then many tears later, no surprise, right?

<sigh>

We have been cutting dad's hair since March 2020. It's about every 5-8 weeks depending on how short we went with the clippers, sometimes you just gotta eyeball it. A channel I recommend for gentlemen who want a short cut (perhaps someone's SO, that doesn't want long hair), watch the "Regal gentleman" channel on YT, and study it! Binge-watch that channel, then try.

meepster
February 1st, 2021, 10:36 PM
I think a lot of it is practice. I've been practicing on my wife since the lockdown started; she's got a very short pixie cut and doesn't want to grow it out. The first haircut was, well, not too good. Not a fail, but not spectacular. The next one was better. By now, after a few haircuts, I can produce a haircut that will not look homemade. Maybe it's not a masterpiece, and maybe no one will ask her where she got her hair done, but she can appear on a Zoom meeting without embarrassment.

This is the tutorial I liked the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyKnwif1-I

JasminxCat
February 1st, 2021, 10:42 PM
I've been cutting my own hair since 12. I remember the first time I gave myself a haircut thinking it would be easy and turned out a complete fail. I somehow gave myself a mullet when I was trying to blend in my bangs and frame my face. I wasn't convinced to put down the scissors and would always try my own techniques until I finally figured out a method that works best for me when I layer and shape. These days, I prefer going to the salon. But if I need a simple touch up I'm usually confident enough to do it myself
My SO has been begging me to give him a cut since covid, I said we will probably have to shave you bald once I'm done with it. No idea how to cut men's hair lol

lapushka
February 2nd, 2021, 08:42 AM
I've been cutting my own hair since 12. I remember the first time I gave myself a haircut thinking it would be easy and turned out a complete fail. I somehow gave myself a mullet when I was trying to blend in my bangs and frame my face. I wasn't convinced to put down the scissors and would always try my own techniques until I finally figured out a method that works best for me when I layer and shape. These days, I prefer going to the salon. But if I need a simple touch up I'm usually confident enough to do it myself
My SO has been begging me to give him a cut since covid, I said we will probably have to shave you bald once I'm done with it. No idea how to cut men's hair lol

I started age 15. My mom's magazine (she bought it especially for the hair insert) had instructions on cuts in it, 80s cuts. It was things like section your hair in half, then pull one section to the side (middle) and cut, the other section to the side & cut; tadaa: layers, a bit à la Jennifer Aniston. But look it up, don't go on my word alone! It's not mentioned anywhere, I don't think but that is in short how you get those layers and do it. Oh wait, can't find a blasted thing on it. Damn; well if you are trigger happy and wanting to test it out... go for it. It didn't turn out half bad when I tried it back then. So, there's that. Don't cut it short though, cut a tiny bit off, if wanting to test it out!!! Don't say I did not warn you!!!

Sammich
February 2nd, 2021, 12:26 PM
What I do is put my hair in low ponytails and then cut them a tiny bit and make sure they're equal on both sides... my hair seems to be pretty straight with this method and it's cheaper and better than going to the hairstylists I feel!

JasminxCat
February 2nd, 2021, 12:33 PM
I started age 15. My mom's magazine (she bought it especially for the hair insert) had instructions on cuts in it, 80s cuts. It was things like section your hair in half, then pull one section to the side (middle) and cut, the other section to the side & cut; tadaa: layers, a bit à la Jennifer Aniston. But look it up, don't go on my word alone! It's not mentioned anywhere, I don't think but that is in short how you get those layers and do it. Oh wait, can't find a blasted thing on it. Damn; well if you are trigger happy and wanting to test it out... go for it. It didn't turn out half bad when I tried it back then. So, there's that. Don't cut it short though, cut a tiny bit off, if wanting to test it out!!! Don't say I did not warn you!!!

Wow, that sounds exactly how I used to do my layers. I don't do them these days as I'm trying to grow them out, but it was a good technique. And I agree it did give off some Jennifer Aniston vibes, love her hair!

leayellena
February 3rd, 2021, 10:05 AM
summarizing:
- don't go for the complicated haircut, you may not be able to reacreate it;
- trial and error;
- long hair (I'm not only talking about classic and beyond here) is more manageable if you do faye's trim
- don't be scissor happy: use your common sence when it comes to lengths and sections (if you are able to do this)

thx everyone

lapushka
February 3rd, 2021, 11:47 AM
Wow, that sounds exactly how I used to do my layers. I don't do them these days as I'm trying to grow them out, but it was a good technique. And I agree it did give off some Jennifer Aniston vibes, love her hair!

Awesome. Wanted to respond yesterday, but the server was too busy. :o

There are some good techniques out there, and I wish I still had all those "technical drawings" of how to cut, because some of those cuts were amazing! That entire insert was amazing. It was a part with all the technical drawings + examples of how the cut would look, done by a pro. And you could do them yourself, very easily thanks to those drawings.

Arciela
February 3rd, 2021, 08:53 PM
I cut my hair by just eyeballing it. Since it's wavy it hides any mistakes I usually make :lol:

Ugh I do need to either maintain my hair or go back to slow growth (trim a tiny bit each month) since my giant shed from my surgery. :(

JasminxCat
February 3rd, 2021, 09:28 PM
Awesome. Wanted to respond yesterday, but the server was too busy. :o

There are some good techniques out there, and I wish I still had all those "technical drawings" of how to cut, because some of those cuts were amazing! That entire insert was amazing. It was a part with all the technical drawings + examples of how the cut would look, done by a pro. And you could do them yourself, very easily thanks to those drawings.

It sounds like a really cool book. It's easier to understand hair cutting in step by step demonstrations. There's a lot of different techniques to use for different styles, some of them aren't popular but work really well :)

emmma44
November 24th, 2022, 09:19 PM
Its a well known fact TikTok has been extraordinarily powerful in patterns of various types since it turned into a famous stage. Regardless of whether you're not on TikTok by and by, odds are good that you've caught wind of it a ton. TikTok and the substance makers on the stage have filled enormously in an extremely short measure of time. Assuming you Truly do have TikTok you're presumably similar to most of us when you say you've gone through A long stretch of time looking at, watching recordings.

emmma44
November 24th, 2022, 09:20 PM
Its a well known fact TikTok has been extraordinarily powerful in patterns of various types since it turned into a famous stage. Regardless of whether you're not on TikTok by and by, odds are good that you've caught wind of it a ton. TikTok and the substance makers on the stage have filled enormously in an extremely short measure of time. Assuming you Truly do have TikTok you're presumably similar to most of us when you say you've gone through A long stretch of time looking at, watching recordings.

Check spamtok.com to know more about the Tiktok fashioned hairs