PDA

View Full Version : Tough buns!

Spinder
January 27th, 2021, 04:27 AM
Please, can anyone recommend any hair bun styles that are especially sturdy? When done correctly, of course. Ones that can, hopefully, hold up during very intense physical activity - horseback riding, hiking, martial arts, etc?

Feral_
January 27th, 2021, 04:33 AM
Spinder I don’t know what it’s called, maybe a Chinese bun? but you wrap the hair length around the hair stick like a tourniquet, before pushing the stick back on itself picking up some scalp hair. Holds like cement. Sorry I can’t find a video, I sort of discovered this on myself when my hair was shorter, then found it is an actual bun! Hopefully someone knows where there’s a vid for you :flower:

WavyWannabe
January 27th, 2021, 05:39 AM
For me the disc bun holds like a rock, it feels tight too.
I use it to work out, (well when I did work out :lol:): for extra security I do a ponytail on the top of my head and then disc bun and secure with a short pencil that barely pokes out of the bun.

Other than that, buns held with one or more claw clips can be sturdier than those held with sticks.

Other than buns, some braided styles that are flatter against your head are Elling woman's braided bun and Amish braids. I haven't tried these myself but they seem to hold well and be comfy.

Entangled
January 27th, 2021, 06:24 AM
Braided double-wrapped infinity with the stick stuck through on the side of the hand that held the L-finity (not the side that wrapped it—prevents tipping and snagging my neck hairs) has never fallen off on me. It holds like a rock.

Single-wrapped would probably also be sturdy; I started double wrapping because I had a lot of length left. It’s stood up to at least forty-five minutes of continuous trampolining and has the added side benefit of taking only a few minutes to do, unlike Amish braids (which used to be my go-to).

BuddhaBelle
January 27th, 2021, 07:21 AM
Spinder I don’t know what it’s called, maybe a Chinese bun? but you wrap the hair length around the hair stick like a tourniquet, before pushing the stick back on itself picking up some scalp hair. Holds like cement. Sorry I can’t find a video, I sort of discovered this on myself when my hair was shorter, then found it is an actual bun! Hopefully someone knows where there’s a vid for you :flower:

This bun does not hold for me! Well, the way your described it anyway. I don't know the name either :)

For me the disc bun holds like a rock, it feels tight too.
I use it to work out, (well when I did work out :lol:): for extra security I do a ponytail on the top of my head and then disc bun and secure with a short pencil that barely pokes out of the bun.

Other than that, buns held with one or more claw clips can be sturdier than those held with sticks.

Other than buns, some braided styles that are flatter against your head are Elling woman's braided bun and Amish braids. I haven't tried these myself but they seem to hold well and be comfy.

Disc buns hold really securely for me. A modified pretzel bun with a hair tie on first does too.

bokeh
January 27th, 2021, 07:27 AM
Please, can anyone recommend any hair bun styles that are especially sturdy? When done correctly, of course. Ones that can, hopefully, hold up during very intense physical activity - horseback riding, hiking, martial arts, etc?I second WavyWannabe about the Disc Bun. I use it to garden because it is rock solid. I would suggest the Quattro Starlight fork to secure it if possible. Because the Starlight is curved to the head and is a simple U-shape without adornments it is less likely to get pushed out of a bun. It won't break and it won't be damaged by sweat. Also, getting the correct size without excess length on the Starlight or any hair tool that you choose for strenuous activity is important.

knobbly
January 27th, 2021, 08:37 AM
A traditional ballet bun is excellent at holding up against lots of centrifugal force. So a ponytailed cinnabun held with Amish or spin pins and covered with a hairnet. Generously applied Aquanet over the whole shebang and nothing will move no matter what. ;)

Finda
January 27th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Maybe a cinnamon secured with at least 3 spinpins.

Edit: I don't have much luck running with forks. On some days the buns hold, on others they don't. But spinpins have never come undone on my head.

Shorty89
January 27th, 2021, 11:20 AM
I do a braided bun held with spin pins for martial arts and it works well. I've also had fairly good luck with a nautilus held with a three or four prong fork.

shelomit
January 27th, 2021, 11:24 AM
Like others above, I usually find that the braided version of most buns holds a little better than the unbraided version, especially if you start from a French braid/s. It gives your pins/stick a little more structure along the scalp to "hook" into.

My most reliable style for activity, though, is not a bun at all, but a coronet braid. I get a little confused about the terminology--I mean the one where you lace braid all around your head, forming a little "pocket" to put the tail into. My hair is textured enough that it holds okay without any pinning, but even four or five pins make it solid enough for swimming, boxing, etc.

Feral_
January 27th, 2021, 11:55 AM

Edit: I don't have much luck running with forks. On some days the buns hold, on others they don't. But spinpins have never come undone on my head.

You’ve given me an idea there, Finda. I sleep in a scrunchie bun then take it out and plait it for my run, but I might leave it in and screw some spin pins in instead :thumbsup:

Aredhel
January 27th, 2021, 12:13 PM

THIS. Of all the expensive and over the top hair toys in my giant collection, nothing has come close to the holding power of 3 spin pins in a bun for me. I swear by spin pins!!:o

Finda
January 28th, 2021, 10:56 AM
You’ve given me an idea there, Finda. I sleep in a scrunchie bun then take it out and plait it for my run, but I might leave it in and screw some spin pins in instead :thumbsup:

Hm, scrunchie, I don't own one, but I'm wondering if they would hold a bun in a pool? At the moment pools are closed here, but my hair used to get especially matted during my weekly swims. So I ended up making a ponytail with a hairtie, which I then braided and bunned. That bun I also secured with a tie, but I wonder if a scrunchie would be less damaging on wet hair.

This also reminds me, I wish there was a way of putting my helmet on without having to take the bun down. lol

THIS. Of all the expensive and over the top hair toys in my giant collection, nothing has come close to the holding power of 3 spin pins in a bun for me. I swear by spin pins!!:o

Same here, basics are best!

Sammich
January 28th, 2021, 11:25 AM
This thread is so useful for me, especially since I'm a thrillseeker so I get terrified of something happening because I have long hair and I'm doing things like: rollercoasting, heavy machinery nearby.. etc. Thank goodness for this thread!

Also, stupid question... How do you put spin pins in your hair? Is it put in like a hairstick or a hairfork?

MusicalSpoons
January 28th, 2021, 03:07 PM
This thread is so useful for me, especially since I'm a thrillseeker so I get terrified of something happening because I have long hair and I'm doing things like: rollercoasting, heavy machinery nearby.. etc. Thank goodness for this thread!

Also, stupid question... How do you put spin pins in your hair? Is it put in like a hairstick or a hairfork?

You screw them in :) making sure they're holding hair from the bits you want to hold together (usually bun and scalp)

Aredhel
January 28th, 2021, 03:10 PM
You screw them in :) making sure they're holding hair from the bits you want to hold together (usually bun and scalp)

For some reason screwing them in is just such a satisfying feeling for me. :)

Sammich
January 28th, 2021, 04:24 PM
Oh wow. Thank you. Does it not damage hair more by screwing it in?

Aredhel
January 28th, 2021, 04:33 PM
Oh wow. Thank you. Does it not damage hair more by screwing it in?

Nope! Just make sure you buy high quality ones with rounded tines (I use the Goody branded ones) because cheap ones off eBay usually have saw-cut tines with raw edges and are not filed down at all, so would definitely rip at and damage your hair.

MusicalSpoons
January 28th, 2021, 06:09 PM
For some reason screwing them in is just such a satisfying feeling for me. :)

Me too! :grin: :hifive:

Yeah, good quality ones are important. The ends have to be hair-friendly, just like any other tool you use really.

Elodea
January 28th, 2021, 08:36 PM
I find that braided buns can be really secure for me if I do them just right, although there are variations here depending on the number/type of braids you start with and the type of bun you then do, plus what you use to hold it with (length and thickness of hair could also factor in here). You might have to try a few different combinations to find what works best for you.

What I do (when I shower, since I wash my hair separately in the sink and don't want it getting in the way in the shower) is start with two dutch braids, which are then put into a nautilus bun and held with a two prong fork. The braids give a lot more places for the hair toy to weave through and make the bun more secure.

I'm also seconding amish braids as a really secure hairstyle, even though it's somewhat intricate and not the quickest style to do. Assuming you have enough hair for this style and secure it well, it should definitely hold up to vigorous physical activity and eliminates loose braids whipping around.

Also perhaps a crown braid secured via the hair taping method might be an idea? I know you asked for buns specifically but overall I think at least some braided styles can be more secure.

paper.wyrm
January 30th, 2021, 01:07 PM
I find a nautilus bun holds like a rock, I sleep with one on the top of my head held with Amish pins and it's the only thing that has a chance of surviving my tossing and turning.