PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Wax in hair...

akiss4lexie
November 12th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I checked in here, and I need to get caught up... but first I have a bit of an emergency. shudder:

Tomorrow my sorority is having a semi-formal dance - I have my dress picked out, my crush agreed to be my date, all that wonderful stuff. The problem is that yesterday I got my eyebrows waxed for the occasion, but the girl accidentally dripped a bit on my hair. I didn't really care, but now my question is - HOW DO i GET iT OUT?

Since yesterday, I've just been wearing my hair in a bun, but the affected section of hair is rather sticky/clumped together because of the wax. I will be washing my hair tomorrow at some point. My normal routine is to CWC with V05 conditioner and Burt's Bees shampoo, but I think I might end up doing 2 full shampoos with V05 shampoo - aka "normal" SLS shampoo - in order to get the wax out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or remedies? :o

Bene
November 12th, 2008, 11:25 PM
i'm not sure if this would help, but i once had a home waxing kit, which i applied then i lost my nerve. the kit came with an oil to help remove any wayward splotches, so i used that and it helped. i don't remember what kind of oil it was, but it may be worth a shot to try any natural oil used in hair.

also, i saw an episode of "food detectives" with tim allen, and they were removing gum from hair, and the best way to get it out was to use oil. they applied it and combed it out, with no loss of hair.

i hope that helps.

DecafJane
November 12th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Usually eyebrow and leg wax will just wash off with warm water. Have you called the beauty salon to check whether this is the type of wax that they used?

akiss4lexie
November 12th, 2008, 11:48 PM
i'm not sure if this would help, but i once had a home waxing kit, which i applied then i lost my nerve. the kit came with an oil to help remove any wayward splotches, so i used that and it helped. i don't remember what kind of oil it was, but it may be worth a shot to try any natural oil used in hair.

also, i saw an episode of "food detectives" with tim allen, and they were removing gum from hair, and the best way to get it out was to use oil. they applied it and combed it out, with no loss of hair.

i hope that helps.

Thanks for your quick response! Now that you've brought up the oil thing, this reminds me of the time I got gum stuck in my retainer as a teen, and all it took was some vegetable oil to get it right off. I think that might be my answer - about to go try. I'll let you know how it goes. :pray:

akiss4lexie
November 12th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Usually eyebrow and leg wax will just wash off with warm water. Have you called the beauty salon to check whether this is the type of wax that they used?

Didn't call the salon, but I know that the wax they used was standard stuff - I've seen it at other salons. I was just too afraid to attempt to do anything with my hair, for fear of having to chop that section and have this weird chin-length section in the back, lol.

Aditi
November 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I agree with both the methods of removing wax from hairs, you can also ask your hairdresser about method to remove wax from your hair, i m sure they must be having something to help you out. Good Luck.

GibsonGirlV
November 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Oh gosh, I know all about the weird choppy sections...

How mushed into your hair is it? before trying oil, you might try rubbing ice against it to harden it up so the molecules will contract, harden up, and pull away from your hair strands. This has worked for me for wax stuck on other substances. It's worth a shot...Good luck!!

Bene
November 13th, 2008, 12:22 AM
i just thought of something, i hope i'm not too late. if you have extra virgin olive oil, that might gentlest stuff to use (and you'll be getting some moisture in the process). they used vegetable oil on the show, i'm sure it washes out, but since you're gonna attempt to oil your hair, may as well go with the good stuff :)

good luck!

longhairedfairy
November 13th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Waxes are usually removed with a special remover designed specifically for that purpose. I would definitely drop by the salon and ask them for some. Since they accidentally got it in your hair in the first place they shouldn't charge you.

ljkforu
November 13th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I totally agree, there is sugar based wax and wax based wax. The salon needs to let you know what base you are working with and what breaks it down.

I've had to use lighter fluid to get pitch out of my hair before. (Oregon Pine Trees)

akiss4lexie
November 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hi again! So here's what I ended up doing:

I put canola oil from my kitchen over the part that had wax in it (I should have used olive oil, but I had used canola on gum before, so I knew that that would work.) I let it sit about 12 hours and then combed it out. The comb slid right through, so that was promising.

I shampooed all my hair with my dandruff shampoo/conditioner, then again with some SLS shampoo, and then conditioned my entire head of hair. I ended up shedding A LOT~ usually I barely shed at all in the shower, and I ended up losing some big chunks of hair. Probably a combination of the harsher shampoo and the fact that I was trying to comb & detangle the messed up parts. That was kind of a bummer, but at least when I got out and my hair dried there was no residue from either the wax or the oil, so it was a success.

Oh & the dance went well too. My date & I both looked amazing, we ended up having a great time, & the next day all my friends said that he seemed really happy~ so success all around. Thanks to everyone that gave advice! You guys saved my life! ;)