PDA

View Full Version : Static tips?

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hey gang--yep, it's that time of year. When I toss my hair into the air, and hear 'snap, crackle/pop' and see sparks.

I don't have the means to get a humidifier, so I found a new product by John Frieda--a conditioner that says 'weather proof'. Alleges it can reduce static and other damage associated with bad weather.

While I'll review this conditioner, do any of you have any tips? I've tried:
static guard (doesn't work)
Bounce sheets (nope)
jojoba spray(in a body mist, worked once, ew the second time)
water --works whilst hair is wet, but alas, working in the cold with damp hair...not good ;)

Alia
November 12th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I love watching the cats' fur spark in the dark when they get petted:kitten:

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 10:32 PM
bounce dryer sheets, you know the kind you put in your dryer rub one one your hair, stops the static or put your hand inside a tight (panty hose) and run this down the length works great and you get a great shine too!

eta-when i say rub i mean run it down the length of your hair in one direction!

eta again! i see bounce sheets dont work with you, try the tights!

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Oh, will knee highs work the same? I don't have panty hose, but I have knee highs.

hahaha---Aira--I LOVE doing that! I'll pat them in the dark and watch the blue sparks! It's soooo funny!

plainjanegirl
November 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
What about a bit of leave in conditioner or just use your regular conditioner as a leave in??

aisling
November 13th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Moisture, moisture, moisture! Dry hair + dry air means static, so whatever that will give you moisturised hair, is now needed. For me it's a combo of leave in + oil on damp/wet hair, that seems to keep the static down.

longhairedfairy
November 13th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I haven't really had much problem with static since I started using camellia oil. There was someone here who said it didn't work for her (I can't remember who it was), so it may depend somewhat on hair type. I comb a little bit into my hair while it's still damp to help keep it from sticking all in one place and making a greasy mess:)

vampodrama
November 13th, 2008, 03:24 AM
What about a bit of leave in conditioner or just use your regular conditioner as a leave in??

leave ins make my static 1000000x worse, but then again I'm weird.

YMMW.

Arctic_Mama
November 13th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Oil helps me. I just do a light oiling every day or two and that solves the vast majority of my problem.

bgarrison
November 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Switching to horn combs has tamed my static. Have you tried those?

Lutya
November 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I have the same issue. In addition, I have an oily scalp and hair (and chest and back acne) so I'm afraid to use oil on my hair. I don't really comb or brush my hair at all once it's dry, so I wouldn't think using a different type of comb would matter. I don't know what to do...grr, I hate static.

Darkhorse1
November 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I just oiled tonight, but I do wash it out. I keep forgetting to put the oil on my ends dry, not wet. Anyhow, I then used daily moisture renewel conditioner by pantene. That has worked the best for me in the winters. I am thinking some of the dandruff shampoos have dried my ends a bit.

My place is pretty dry, and I know if I had a humidifyer, my hair wouldn't be as bad, but that's not a financial option.

Can someone show me what a horn comb looks like?

Longlove
November 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Ah, yes. The static stigma.....

I live in an arid climate, and am convinced that one of these days I'm going to blow up my head at the gas station due to just one teensy little hair static spark. ("fried ends").

A childhood friend does hair for the film industry. I figured she'd certainly have a solution. She told me to rub a used fabric dryer sheet down my hair.....meh.

I'm still looking for a solution.

Mercurielle
November 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I have the same issues, as I live in a humid environment that is quite hot in summer and awfully cold in winter. Static & frizz is a neverending battle.

An interesting thing I've noticed about dryer sheets, the Bounce brand doesn't work all that well, but the natural brands work quite a bit better! At least on my hair, which is wavy and very fine (so static & frizziness makes it blow up like nobody's business). I like the Lemon Verbena ones by Downy Naturals (or something like that... you get the idea).

I did have one anti-frizz hair gel that worked wonderfully all year long by Herbal Essences. Sadly, it's been discontinued. It had ginger lily, cassia, banana flower... something like that. Wonderful stuff. I bought my last tube on sale for about $2... which I'd have bought ten or more! :(

heidihug
November 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Once I stopped using coconut oil as a leave-in after washing, my static problems tamed down considerably. I now use just essential oils (mostly carnation) along with a few drops of diluted conditioner on my damp post-wash hair.

Got the first clue that maybe coconut oil may not be the best for my hair after I tried a glob of it mixed in with my moisturizer to massage into my feet after my shower. The next day the soles of my feet were rougher than they had been in months - so bad that my kneee-hi nylons were shredded by the roughness on my heels. I figure if the coconut oil was causing the skin on my feet to (swell up? dry out? both?) it probably was not helping to keep the moisture in my hair. I do still use coconut oil in my hair as a pre-wash treatment, however, as I think it sets it up well to accept the moisture of my conditioner. It's interesting how products affects people's hair so differently!

Curlsgirl
November 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Can someone show me what a horn comb looks like?

www.heavenlyharvestinc.com (http://www.heavenlyharvestinc.com) This is the kind I have. It's inexpensive and wonderful!

http://heavenlyharvestinc.com/catalog/images/DSCF0081.jpg

RocketDog
November 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I've found that the best static-cutter for me is to rub a single drop of jojoba oil between my palms and then run my hands quickly through the last 6" or so of hair. It makes the curls 'cling' together a little better and kills static.