PDA

View Full Version : Mason Pearson Hair brush BB or Nylon mix?

LillyBlossom
January 15th, 2021, 03:24 AM
Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting the very expensive hair brush for my birthday in March.

I've got fine straight hair but its kinda thick (a lot on my head)

Is the Boar Bristle or the nylon mix one the best choice? If you havre one do you love it? How do you even use it lol? Is it worth the money?

I'm committed to hair health this year instead of just focusing on length, I'd really appreciate any advice you ca give me.

Thanks for reading

Feral_
January 15th, 2021, 03:30 AM
It’s personal preference and I have no experience of the Mason Pearson brush. However I couldn’t get on with BB with nylon bristles in - too prickly on my scalp. My solution was to pull out the nylons with pliers! It’s perfect now.

xanthochromia
January 15th, 2021, 07:59 AM
I can't help much but still wanted to reply with my experience. I have fine straight hair but it's pretty thin (~2.3"/5.8 cm ponytail). I use a soft Kent DA4S (https://kentbrushes.com/products/ladies-finest-dark-wood-pure-soft-white-bristle-narrow-brush-da4s) boar bristle brush currently. I was debating between the soft Mason Pearson and the soft Kent but decided that Kents seemed like a better value for the money while still being a high-end brush. Since your hair is thick I don't think you would like the soft bristles on mine as they barely get through to my scalp, but I love it and just brush in smaller sections. I think the nylon would be even harsher than standard boar bristles which were already too aggressive for my hair.

Jools69
January 15th, 2021, 09:27 AM
I have fine hair with a few waves and a lot of it, too. Also, I have patches of eczema/psoriasis on my scalp. I have one of Mason Pearson’s boar bristle ‘pocket’ brushes and love it. Not only does it spread my natural oils and makes my hair smooth, it collects the ‘scales’, reducing the itchiness and allows me to go longer between washes. I’ve also noticed that I don’t shed so much hair during washes, as it removes any shedded hair between washes.

This is my first BB brush and didn’t want to pay over £100 for something I’ve never used before, but wanted good quality to last. So I bought the smaller version (pocket) to try and even though it’s marketed for travel or for your handbag, it’s fine for every day use for me.

Perhaps buy a less expensive or smaller version to try?

LillyBlossom
January 15th, 2021, 02:35 PM
I have fine hair with a few waves and a lot of it, too. Also, I have patches of eczema/psoriasis on my scalp. I have one of Mason Pearson’s boar bristle ‘pocket’ brushes and love it. Not only does it spread my natural oils and makes my hair smooth, it collects the ‘scales’, reducing the itchiness and allows me to go longer between washes. I’ve also noticed that I don’t shed so much hair during washes, as it removes any shedded hair between washes.

This is my first BB brush and didn’t want to pay over £100 for something I’ve never used before, but wanted good quality to last. So I bought the smaller version (pocket) to try and even though it’s marketed for travel or for your handbag, it’s fine for every day use for me.

Perhaps buy a less expensive or smaller version to try?

This is so helpful thank you, I was wondering if I'd get away with a smaller 'pocket' one, its a lot cheaper

Bonsai
January 16th, 2021, 03:27 PM
I have Mason Pearson Hair brush BB and I absolutely love it! It's only BBB what can really brush my hair (extra fin, but almost 9 cm ponytail, 2a/2b)... But if I want move my sebum I prefer "soft" BBB (noname).

Brush with nylon mix I absolutely hate...

Garnetgem
January 17th, 2021, 04:28 PM
I got the mixed mason and pearson BN1 i tried a pocket version first,the mixed bristles are for thicker hair so help the boar bristles to reach the scalp,happy with mine though i did wait a long time due to the price making me reluctant.