PDA

View Full Version : Sore scalp

devs12
November 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Even though i leave my hair open most of the time i have sore hair roots, it hurts when i just move my hair in opposite direction, or if i just pass my finger near hair roots, and this pain is in my crown and that too only a small area (dime size) , and i feel this may be 2 days a week. Is it due to not washing my scalp daily ? I generally wash my hair 3 times a week. I avoid tight ponytails, head band, clips. :(

Aisha25
November 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
You dont do a braid or put them in bun?? Is your scalp sore after head bath or anytime??

devs12
November 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM
No not on the day i wash my hair, generally next day .

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 09:33 PM
It could be from the way you slept and pushed the hair in a direction other than the natural growth. I have had that happen too, once in a while. I have also had it happen from wearing a high necked collar, that pushes up against my nape hair (I usually wear my hair down). If the soreness is in the same place all of the time, you may want to get it checked out by a doctor, if it gets worse.

Aisha25
November 12th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah it can be a way your moving them or trying to make them lay a way they are not used to. DO you have any dandruff or anything like this?? You do scalp massage maybe you need to loosen your scalp some?????

SimplyLonghair
November 12th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I would change products and see if that makes any difference, sometimes you may have a slight reaction to chemicals and ingredients in the product. And you may not react all over the scalp but in spots. It also could be another type of irritation, I would try ACV for rinse and see if that helps. I cannot use most products nowadays. I guess that is why I would go there first. :rolleyes:

lizzyjo
November 12th, 2008, 11:45 PM
This happens to me once in awhile. I think it's because the hair gets pushed in a different direction than in which it normally grows. It goes away within a day.

longhairedfairy
November 13th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Could you have scalp acne? Maybe cystic acne?

Kirin
November 13th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Even though i leave my hair open most of the time i have sore hair roots, it hurts when i just move my hair in opposite direction, or if i just pass my finger near hair roots, and this pain is in my crown and that too only a small area (dime size) , and i feel this may be 2 days a week. Is it due to not washing my scalp daily ? I generally wash my hair 3 times a week. I avoid tight ponytails, head band, clips. :(

OMG I know this well. I read this and was like..... wow, I'm feeling that right now (and often do) especially on the back top part of my head where my part ends.

I tend to find this comes and goes, and has little to do with the products I use. After a lot of forensic analysis (LOL) of what might be causing it, I've found its from the hair drying in a slightly odd position against the hair growth. I air dry my hair and if I don't comb that section well or if I tousle it say to scrunch, it might dry a bit off from the hair growth pattern.

Anytime I am careful to comb that section down and not let it dry even in the slightest "up" ruffled position, no pain.

devs12
November 13th, 2008, 06:34 AM
thanks everybody for replying... last night i thought if the pain persists i m going to chop my hair (shoulder length , growing from pixie) then today morning i did not have that pain,, its giving be a break after 1/2 days it will pop up again :( is it cluster headache ? i read something on google :rolleyes:

Curlsgirl
November 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Sometimes mine does that or used to when I would be a couple of days from washing. I started scritching gently with my horn comb once a night and it REALLY helped. I think it loosens the sebum at the roots in between shampoos. You can use another kind of comb if you don't have a horn comb.

devs12
November 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM
thank you, i will try it

Arctic
November 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I don't know if there was any connection, but my scalp was really sore many days before I got a nasty scalp breakout in early autumn this year. I was trying to strech washes then a bit even though I knew it wouldn't be good for my scalp (I think I have SD but it's not diagnozed). I had also introdused a new hair drying technique right when the aches started so it might be the reason too: I had started to fluff the scalp hair while it dries to give root lift, to hide the cow licks and to speed drying time. So it also might have caused the ache on me.

I also know the "had too tight ponytail and now have scalp aches" but I don't have those often.

devs12
November 13th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Sometimes mine does that or used to when I would be a couple of days from washing. I started scritching gently with my horn comb once a night and it REALLY helped. I think it loosens the sebum at the roots in between shampoos. You can use another kind of comb if you don't have a horn comb.

I don't know if there was any connection, but my scalp was really sore many days before I got a nasty scalp breakout in early autumn this year. I was trying to strech washes then a bit even though I knew it wouldn't be good for my scalp (I think I have SD but it's not diagnozed). I had also introdused a new hair drying technique right when the aches started so it might be the reason too: I had started to fluff the scalp hair while it dries to give root lift, to hide the cow licks and to speed drying time. So it also might have caused the ache on me.

I also know the "had too tight ponytail and now have scalp aches" but I don't have those often.

Even i tried to stretch washes (4th day) thats when it got worse :(... if i need to wash everyday to keep my scalp clean to avoid this problem, i guess i need to keep my hair short then .... and i have cowlick at the crown area:confused:

Kirin
November 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Even i tried to stretch washes (4th day) thats when it got worse :(... if i need to wash everyday to keep my scalp clean to avoid this problem, i guess i need to keep my hair short then .... and i have cowlick at the crown area:confused:

Don't chop yet, you can still have long hair with daily washing, many of us do. Things you can do to minimize dryness from washing daily is to dilute your shampoo down, and shampoo once instead of the lather/rinse/repeat procedure. Just be gentle, I know many longhairs (myself included growing long) who shampoo daily. Having long hair does not automatically equal less washing.

Arctic
November 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Don't chop yet, you can still have long hair with daily washing, many of us do. Things you can do to minimize dryness from washing daily is to dilute your shampoo down, and shampoo once instead of the lather/rinse/repeat procedure. Just be gentle, I know many longhairs (myself included growing long) who shampoo daily. Having long hair does not automatically equal less washing.

I agree, I wash now every other day and my hair and scalp stay happy this way. I have also seen many members even with super long hairs to wash daily. Not all long hairs wash once a week, I could never do that!
I love CWC washing method, it helps my ends so much! If your scalp isn't a greasy type, then maybe you could beat "the morning hair" with misting or just wash the bangs/ fringe? And when the hair is long enough you can do a scalp only washes too. Generally my hair seems to like getting wet (moisture!!!).

Mahars
December 18th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I'm glad you're feeling better, but I just wanted to share because I seem to have exactly the same problem. My scalp is fine the first day but the second day, it's unbearably sore at the upper back of my head. It's gotten to the point where I have wash my hair every day. I think it may be the products I'm using, but I'm not sure which ingredients are causing it. More help on this topic would be great.

Debra83
December 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I got when I kept my hair in a pony tail for a couple of days, and didn't wash the second day, but took the pony tail out. Felt like what you imagine stroking a cat backwards might feel to them. Then I would wash my hair - and no pain anymore. I remember sometimes though it would take a little longer to go away...it felt sensitive. But is was totally scalp, not migraine. I get migraines...HUGE difference.

MadHatter
December 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM
My scalp gets sensitive and sore when it's time to wash.
If you're worried about damaging your length with daily washing, you could try washing your scalp only. Braid your hair, then wrap it in a plastic bag. That should keep your length dry.

devs12
December 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I stopped using vinegar rinse since 15 days and i dont have sore scalp problems since then, and also i m oiling my hair every 2 days and experimenting with egg, henna, non sls shampoo, soapnuts, honey . But i think stopping vinegar rinse helped me.

spidermom
December 18th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I have a sore spot on my scalp that I have had for a long time, even with short hair, so I know it has absolutely nothing to do with hair. I have no idea what it is, but I can reach up right this second and touch it, and it's sore. There's nothing to see; I've asked my doctor. My solution -- don't push on it.

Mahars
December 18th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks mad hatter. I'm not sure if my hair is long enough for that yet (slightly past bsl) but CWC seems to be helping the ends. It's just a big pain to re-style it every day and it takes about 5 hours to dry, so that's not so great to have to do every day. I think I just have really sensitive skin. I tried switching to non sls shampoo but all the essential oils (i.e., lavendar and rosemary) irritated my scalp just as badly. I wish natural shampoos didn't have so many essential oils in them.

mamaherrera
June 23rd, 2012, 11:46 PM
I too have this and I was afraid my hair weas going to fall out. It was all over and in different places on different days. Now again I have it after it went away for months. I was wondering if mine is from keeping my scalp wet for three hours a week, when I do henna and I apply it wet (yes I do it weekly) and it stays humid for that long of a time. Maybe it's too moist and weakened. I don't know what else it could be I only use low-poos twice or three times a week.