PDA

View Full Version : Need hair wisdom :)

Breezy
January 12th, 2021, 12:04 AM
sorry about that ladies, I typed out every thing on the last post and that one got deleted. I'll try to capture what I wrote.
Basically, I was asking for advice for my hair. I had it permed in A 2019, I had long thick hair. So hairdresser thinned it. I thought it was too curly so she put a reverse perm through it. So back in January another hairdresser said my hair was fried and she cut it to aabout from waist to collar bone. right now it is around bsl. trying to grow out bangs. I think the perm must be all out, my hair just isnt the same why? My curl pattern, texture everything about lmy hair, I love long hair, but long hair looks good only when its healthy. Should I keep trying to grow, what is going on with it? Should I just keep growing hope the weight will make a difference? Thank you for the rant. :eek:

JasminxCat
January 12th, 2021, 01:00 AM
Editing because I misread. It must be the length it is now that gives you a different pattern and texture. I've known people with curly short hair that turned mostly straight with some wave once it grew out to a certain length

Jools69
January 12th, 2021, 01:23 AM
sorry about that ladies, I typed out every thing on the last post and that one got deleted. I'll try to capture what I wrote.
Basically, I was asking for advice for my hair. I had it permed in A 2019, I had long thick hair. So hairdresser thinned it. I thought it was too curly so she put a reverse perm through it. So back in January another hairdresser said my hair was fried and she cut it to aabout from waist to collar bone. right now it is around bsl. trying to grow out bangs. I think the perm must be all out, my hair just isnt the same why? My curl pattern, texture everything about lmy hair, I love long hair, but long hair looks good only when its healthy. Should I keep trying to grow, what is going on with it? Should I just keep growing hope the weight will make a difference? Thank you for the rant. :eek:

Sorry to hear about your experience. The last perm I had ruined my hair at the time, because the stylist didn’t apply the neutraliser properly (she sponged it on instead of squeezing it straight from the bottle), not to mention it was spiral perm cut back to shoulder length with lots of layers. Hence it didn’t all take and had partial perm in an effort to rectify it. For days/weeks I shed clumps of hair when washed and it was a fuzzed ball mess. However, 5 years on, after regular trims for several years and conditioning, I have waist length hair in excellent condition, with hardly any splits and my natural wave pattern in tact.

Your hair will recover eventually, but it will take time and it’s possible you still have some damage left to grow out.

Breezy
January 12th, 2021, 01:28 AM
thanks JasminxCat, I have hat it at this length before. The other thing is that around that time I went through a heavy shed, Now I see and feel all these little hairs all ofer my head. I also started to get more gray coming in.

morrigan*
January 12th, 2021, 02:02 AM
Maybe you could try some deep conditioning treatments. And wearing it up a lot.

lapushka
January 12th, 2021, 04:37 AM

2019 you had a perm? Say January, that's 2 years, so 12 inches that would be now perm free, if it was the very start of 2019. If later in that year, it's a lot less than 12 inches, so that's not near the length that you are right now. Trust me, that damage is still in there!

morrigan*
January 12th, 2021, 08:44 AM
2019 you had a perm? Say January, that's 2 years, so 12 inches that would be now perm free, if it was the very start of 2019. If later in that year, it's a lot less than 12 inches, so that's not near the length that you are right now. Trust me, that damage is still in there!

Oh second that. Trust me you will notice when the damage is cut. And hair doesn't grow as fast as we want it to grow ;)

KokoroDragon
January 12th, 2021, 09:13 AM
thanks JasminxCat, I have hat it at this length before. The other thing is that around that time I went through a heavy shed, Now I see and feel all these little hairs all ofer my head. I also started to get more gray coming in.

I've heard lots of people say their hair texture changed with menopause/beginning of grays/etc. If there's still damage in your hair it could just be that, but it's just something to think about.

Breezy
January 12th, 2021, 07:29 PM

Hi Lapushka, I had the perm in August of 2019. When I went in for a trim, the stylist had to cut off like 4 inches. Just what she cut off was like straw. So thank you, now I know that and that eventually in time I can get back my healthy hair.

Dark40
January 12th, 2021, 09:07 PM
I've heard lots of people say their hair texture changed with menopause/beginning of grays/etc. If there's still damage in your hair it could just be that, but it's just something to think about.

I've also heard that too happening when you're going through menopause. I've noticed within the last 2 years my hair's texture has changed. Before menopause my hair's texture was a lot curlier than it is now. Now, it's more wavy than anything! And, I have a lot of grays coming in on the sides and in the crown area of my head. For my waves I put a very mild relaxer or straightener on it, and that's it. Because, I love long straight hair. I don't like hair wavy thick hair that has a lot of shrinkage. I've just relaxed my hair about 2 weeks ago, and beforehand I had a lot of shrinkage after not relaxing for 11 months.

Bat
January 12th, 2021, 09:50 PM
Not everyone is a lady z

Breezy
January 12th, 2021, 11:57 PM
so sorry Bat <3 forgive my ignorance of the moment.

spitfire511
January 13th, 2021, 10:46 AM
((Breezy)) super frustrating! Nightshade's story has long been one of my favorites (https://nightblooming.com/2020/02/06/destroyed-reborn-melissas-hair-history/) (and has one of my favorite heads of hair as well! LOL)

Microtrim - figure out if you need protein or moisture and treat accordingly. And try to love it as it is right now! My hair is WAY different now than when I was younger - but it's got its own goodness that I'm learning to love. Keep growing if you want it long - you can have long healthy hair again (even if it looks a bit different than it used to!)

lapushka
January 13th, 2021, 11:32 AM
Hi Lapushka, I had the perm in August of 2019. When I went in for a trim, the stylist had to cut off like 4 inches. Just what she cut off was like straw. So thank you, now I know that and that eventually in time I can get back my healthy hair.

That's halfway, almost 3 quarters through the year. Say you have 8/9 inches worth of good hair now, counting from the roots. I mean, it's not nothing, but you still have a ways to go! Much strength to you. It's sometimes tough growing out damage. Dealing with a different kind of texture, feel to the hair, it can be a mess.