PDA

View Full Version : hair stick buns giving me a headache?

BuddhaBelle
January 9th, 2021, 10:42 AM
I feel like I'm doing something wrong as hair stick buns give me a massive headache! They feel so tight compared to my usual scrunchie buns. :(

Am I doing something wrong? I am just above BSL so there isn't much I can do apart from a French twist or a Chinese bun (I think that is what it's called)... any advice? :o

akurah
January 9th, 2021, 11:58 AM
It sounds like even though your hair is long enough to physically do it, it's still effectively too short to do it without pain. At least, that's my first thought.

If you use a ponytail as an anchor point before making the bun, does it still hurt? That could be a solution until your hair is longer

cestlavie
January 9th, 2021, 12:59 PM
I would get a headache too when I did a stick bun on BSL. My hair was too short to wear it somewhat loose or comfortable. It got better around MBL. I agree with akurah to use a ponytail as an anchor point because that helped me in the past!

Feral_
January 9th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Try a LWB using a satin scrunchie, there’s no stick to grab scalp hair. Any loose bits just tuck under the scrunchie. This is my sleep bun and is very comfortable. It might work at your length too :)

BuddhaBelle
January 10th, 2021, 02:20 AM
It sounds like even though your hair is long enough to physically do it, it's still effectively too short to do it without pain. At least, that's my first thought.

If you use a ponytail as an anchor point before making the bun, does it still hurt? That could be a solution until your hair is longer

I would get a headache too when I did a stick bun on BSL. My hair was too short to wear it somewhat loose or comfortable. It got better around MBL. I agree with akurah to use a ponytail as an anchor point because that helped me in the past!

oooh thank you ladies! i never thought of doing a ponytail first as I expected the stick to hold it in place. I will definitely try this next time as I have given myself a challenge this week of seven different buns!

BuddhaBelle
January 10th, 2021, 02:21 AM
Try a LWB using a satin scrunchie, there’s no stick to grab scalp hair. Any loose bits just tuck under the scrunchie. This is my sleep bun and is very comfortable. It might work at your length too :)

thank you great advice! i will give it a go :D

Kat
January 10th, 2021, 08:48 AM
I find sometimes with hair sticks, especially the thicker the stick, that the bun will press the stick into my head and cause a headache. It can happen with hairpins sometimes, too.

Entangled
January 10th, 2021, 12:28 PM
Stick buns were also more uncomfortable for me at your length! I think it’s a length where you have enough hair for a bun but not the stability to make it last unless it’s really tight. I tended to go for more sectioned buns. My go-to is where you wrap hair over you hands and finish wrapping it around the base, then use your hairstick to split the hair on your hand into two loops and insert it like a flexi-8: down through one loop, under, and out/up through the second

Carrie's hair
January 13th, 2021, 11:13 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=153206
I was doing a thread with a similar problem. Maybe you will find something for yourself there.

spidermom
January 14th, 2021, 07:43 AM
Sometimes it's more comfortable to do more than one bun, especially at shorter lengths. Also experiment at different places on your head.

spitfire511
January 14th, 2021, 07:46 AM
Sometimes it's more comfortable to do more than one bun, especially at shorter lengths. Also experiment at different places on your head.

^^^ This - also try multiple mini claw clips maybe? That helped me... but bun placement makes ALL the difference here. I still get headaches with any updo (even a pony) if it's in the middle of my head in the back. Up high and down low both good - but anywhere I can *feel* the weight it's not comfy!