PDA

View Full Version : Which hand do you use? - Celtic Bun

Cap93WL
January 5th, 2021, 07:20 PM
I was recently writing up instructions on my list of hair stick buns that I can use for reference (or pick one at random if I don't know what to wear!) and I realized that the way most videos / instructions for the Celtic Knot Bun use your left hand, with your hand over your hair to start (then loops and pull through and stuff).

And I realized that years ago when I learned how to make this bun, I'm doing it totally different (at the start). I'm starting like a nautilus (right hand under pony twist up to create loop, pull part way through, etc).

I know that using my right hand isn't cause for it to become a different bun, but I found it interesting that so many people start their bun differently than I do, and yet I think they're the same bun!

Lady Neeva
January 5th, 2021, 10:22 PM
I use my left hand for a Celtic knot bun because I am left handed

melesine
January 5th, 2021, 10:38 PM
All buns, left hand but I’m left handed

Cg
January 6th, 2021, 08:43 AM
For variety, I always form every bun left- and right-handed at different times. Tensions are not equal, placement is slightly different, and it gives me the false impression that I'm bun-competent. Almost always I prefer making left-handed buns even though I write right-handed.

Cap93WL
January 6th, 2021, 03:06 PM
Interesting! Apparently I'm more ambidextrous than I thought! Or maybe less, because each of my buns want to be either right or left handed. I can do buns "the other way" but I very much prefer it "this way"

eresh
January 6th, 2021, 04:24 PM
I do knot buns and such around my left hand...and I'm right handed.
The right hand I need for the twisting of the strand

cat11
January 8th, 2021, 07:46 AM
I do knot buns and such around my left hand...and I'm right handed.
The right hand I need for the twisting of the strand

Yep, same here.

For a celtic knot I hold the hair and bun in around the left hand, use the right hand to pull the loop through and place it where it needs to go. I hold it all in place with the left hand and put the stick in using my right.