PDA

View Full Version : Best protective style to wear hair to sleep when move around a lot?

stephy190
January 4th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Hi all!

I would toss and turn quite a lot, my braid has gotten quite long (I'd usually wear it this way) buy recently the braid is getting caught behind my back or something and I'm pulling on it when turn! So I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas? I've ordered a sleep cap! I feel like breakage could become an issue during sleep if continue wearing it in a braid!

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

lapushka
January 4th, 2021, 03:48 PM
Fold it up under your head, or wear a bonnet on top of it.

I wear my hair down to sleep, and I just fold it under my head. Now, I don't move that much, maybe turn to my back sometimes, but that's about it. I am in the same position 9 out of 10 times when I wake up. It's weird. :lol:

stephy190
January 4th, 2021, 03:50 PM
Fold it up under your head, or wear a bonnet on top of it.

I wear my hair down to sleep, and I just fold it under my head. Now, I don't move that much, maybe turn to my back sometimes, but that's about it. I am in the same position 9 out of 10 times when I wake up. It's weird. :lol:

This probably sounds stupid,but how do you mean fold it under your head? Haha nah I'm tossing and turning !

LoungeLady
January 4th, 2021, 03:59 PM
I recently got a silk sleep bonnet by Slip- it stays on my head! I also toss and turn. And I have fine hair. I’ve been using it nightly for a month or so now and it’s a game changer for me. Pricey but it works!

KokoroDragon
January 4th, 2021, 04:12 PM
If a braid worked before but it's simply too long now, would folding it in half and holding it in place with a scrunchie work for you? My hair is too short yet to have this problem, so forgive me if I'm talking nonsense. :p

JasminxCat
January 4th, 2021, 04:17 PM
I move around a lot too. The most comfortable for me is a loose top bun. It looks a bit silly on me, but it works for bed and gives me some nice volume the next day. If you like braid waves, braid loosely and bun it at the top of your head

melesine
January 4th, 2021, 05:03 PM
I do top knot

lapushka
January 4th, 2021, 05:14 PM
This probably sounds stupid,but how do you mean fold it under your head? Haha nah I'm tossing and turning !

Erm... Just grab the length, and fold it in 2 or 3 depending on your length, then put it under your head. Works better with loose hair, not so much with a braid, but you can lay it behind your head, for instance.

PeonyBlue
January 4th, 2021, 05:44 PM
I just drape my hair over the pillow and let it drop between the mattress and the headboard (it has a decent sized gap). It’s usually still there in the morning despite all my turning from one side to the other.

Shorty89
January 4th, 2021, 05:50 PM
If a braid worked before but it's simply too long now, would folding it in half and holding it in place with a scrunchie work for you? My hair is too short yet to have this problem, so forgive me if I'm talking nonsense. :p

I've been doing that lately. I also toss and turn and so far, it's held.

Iyashikei
January 4th, 2021, 08:14 PM
A loose pineapple bun would do the trick.

WavyWannabe
January 5th, 2021, 01:10 AM
I move around quite a bit at night, and so far my simplest solution has been a satin sleep cap.
I got the cheap kind that's basically a satin fabric sack with an elastic rim (the kind that makes you look like Laura Ingalls), and it held quite well for the first few months.
(Now it's more than a year old so obviously the elastic is trashed and falls out during the night.)

Nini
January 5th, 2021, 01:13 AM
I flip my braid up over my pillow. I have to position it so I don't rest my head on top, but that becomes habit in no time. Works very well.

cestlavie
January 5th, 2021, 01:24 AM
I always wear a top knot held with 2 smaller claw clips. I toss and turn a lot and when the bun (and clip) is on top of my head it never gets in the way.

Jools69
January 5th, 2021, 01:55 AM
Has anyone tried using a hair sock? A hairdresser recommended it.

http://https://www.amazon.co.uk/QHKS-Sleep-Bonnet-Nightcap-Unisex/dp/B08D8Y4XD4?th=1

Feral_
January 5th, 2021, 04:15 AM
When you braid do you start it at the head itself? An option might be to start the braid lower down so you lose some of the length, then you can lift the lower head hair up and have the braid over the top of your pillow. Or alternatively stuff the whole lot in a sleep cap.

Mine isn’t as long as yours, so I either do a braid from the top of my head, or a top cinnabun held with a satin scrunchie. I’m a thrasher at night too.

shelomit
January 5th, 2021, 07:09 AM
I agree that a very high bun is probably the best, if your scalp will tolerate it (keeping in mind that a high bun rests against your pillow as you sleep, rather than putting pressure on the scalp as though you were upright). You might move around a lot as you sleep, but you probably never do a headstand!

Zesty
January 5th, 2021, 06:54 PM
I move a lot as well, I sometimes wear it loose up over the pillow but it doesn't feel its best in the morning when I do that. My hair has gotten a little awkward for my bonnets lately so I've been wearing a bun on the top of my head with three 4" hair pins to secure. As has been said, you're probably not doing headstands so it's a good way to get it completely out of the way. I would add to make sure to use a silk or satin pillowcase, no matter how you wear your hair.

sky-
January 6th, 2021, 06:37 PM
I do a pineapple bun and sleep on a satin pillow case or tie a satin scarf around my hair before bed

jessikitty
January 9th, 2021, 10:43 PM
I move around quite a bit in the night as well. I usually leave my hair loose and twist it out of the way after I lie down but lately I thought I’d try out the protective hairstyle idea. However, everything I’ve tried seems to come out feeling less protective in the morning when I look at it. So I’m going to stick with loose hair for now!

Arciela
January 9th, 2021, 11:23 PM
I move around like crazy in the night, so much that even my silk sleeping cap with a tight tie on it comes off.

What works for me now is two dutch braids, oddly enough since wearing it like that at night my hair is less oily too.

spitfire511
January 14th, 2021, 08:21 AM
Grateful for this thread! I've been struggling because if braids aren't loose enough they give me a head/neck ache - but I move A LOT. And a bonnet just doesn't really work for me.

I want to try this top knot thing - for those of you that do it - I see at least one person using claw clips - one person using long pins - how is everyone else doing this?

Feral_
January 14th, 2021, 09:38 AM
Grateful for this thread! I've been struggling because if braids aren't loose enough they give me a head/neck ache - but I move A LOT. And a bonnet just doesn't really work for me.

I want to try this top knot thing - for those of you that do it - I see at least one person using claw clips - one person using long pins - how is everyone else doing this?

I do a top knot bun held with a satin scrunchie. It’s very comfortable and easy to do. Tip head forward and gather hair into a pony and put scrunchie with one twist around the base as though you’re doing a pony tail. Then with your other hand twist the hair length and keep coiling around the base where the scrunchie is like a cinnabun. When you run out of hair you’re left with a coiled bun, place the scrunchie over the bun and tuck any ends in. Ta-dah! I only need to do two twists of the scrunchie to secure but it depends on your hair length and the scrunchie :)

BuddhaBelle
January 14th, 2021, 11:25 AM
Does anyone find that a bun on the tippy top of their head causes the hair at the back of their head to break, leaving you with wispy bits at the nape of your neck? This is what I've experienced in the past so have been scared to do a top knot but I do love the volume...

spidermom
January 14th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Top of head braid directed over the pillow? Top of head scrunchie bun?

Those are my solutions.

spidermom
January 14th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Does anyone find that a bun on the tippy top of their head causes the hair at the back of their head to break, leaving you with wispy bits at the nape of your neck? This is what I've experienced in the past so have been scared to do a top knot but I do love the volume...

True - that can be a problem, but I move around so much that a sleep cap won't stay on. A lot of times I wake up when I'm moving so I can lift my head to be sure I'm not grinding the nape on the pillow. I have a slippery polyester pillowcase to reduce friction. Also, although I'd rather avoid them both, if I had to choose, I'd rather have broken hairs on the nape than the canopy.

shelomit
January 15th, 2021, 07:39 AM

If I've worn a bun during the daytime that I can sleep in, then I just leave it in using whatever originally secured it. If I'm making a bun specifically to sleep in, I use a stick. I find that only having to put one thing in my hair (and not needing it to put pressure on my scalp) makes the stick a comfier overnight option than pins. Sometimes with pins I wake up in the middle of the night to find that one has slipped out of place and is stabbing me in the head : P Not that that inspires me with enough energy to switch from pins to stick if I've already got pins in!

ETA: I haven't had trouble with the breakage from high buns that was mentioned, although 1) my hair seems to be pretty forgiving of such things, and 2) I only wear this style to sleep, not during the day.

spitfire511
January 17th, 2021, 07:10 AM
If I've worn a bun during the daytime that I can sleep in, then I just leave it in using whatever originally secured it. If I'm making a bun specifically to sleep in, I use a stick. I find that only having to put one thing in my hair (and not needing it to put pressure on my scalp) makes the stick a comfier overnight option than pins. Sometimes with pins I wake up in the middle of the night to find that one has slipped out of place and is stabbing me in the head : P Not that that inspires me with enough energy to switch from pins to stick if I've already got pins in!

ETA: I haven't had trouble with the breakage from high buns that was mentioned, although 1) my hair seems to be pretty forgiving of such things, and 2) I only wear this style to sleep, not during the day.

So this has been an interesting experiment for me. I have no success in getting a scrunchie to reliably hold my hair... so that’s out. Then discovered that I don’t sleep well with a bun lol. So back to braids it is. I tried two last night because is gotten some nice braid waves The night before with one - but think I do better with one. I just toss and turn too much!

LadyEliza
January 20th, 2021, 03:30 PM
I snore if I sleep on my back, so a bun in the middle back of my head solves both problems! :)