PDA

View Full Version : Best Be-hair-vior 2021

leafygreens18
January 3rd, 2021, 03:00 PM
Hey there guys!

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy (hairwise and otherwise). I wanted to start up a thread for myself and others who might be hair slackers and want some encouragement / accountability to be on their best be-hair-vior this year. (be-hair-vior, get it lol). For me this will mean only washing my hair once a week and not cheating on an every 3-4 day schedule, doing an SMT EVERY time I wash my hair, and wearing my hair up everyday for the most part (of course with some days to enjoy my long hair).

I would love and be interested to see ways in which others slack and what their best practices are for their hair / the things that are hardest to stay on top of and resist temptation with.

lilmsmoonstruck
January 3rd, 2021, 04:38 PM
I wish you luck! You can do it!

I am planning to make a real effort this year to put the effort in to detangle daily and braid my hair at night. This seems like it should be the very basic level of care. But I'm disabled and often very tired so I just kind of let it slip in favour of using the energy for other things- but then it gets tangled and I have to spend even more energy than I would have otherwise to detangle it, so that's not actually cost effective laziness

sky-
January 3rd, 2021, 05:07 PM
Best of luck to you this year!
I'm trying to remember to put my satin scarf on every single night because I get so lazy. I also want to try to only wet my hair 3 times a week because the water at my house is very hard and leaves my hair feeling brittle. This is also hard to do because water is my go to when my hair isn't cooperating the way I want! LOL

Bat
January 3rd, 2021, 06:07 PM
Good Luck!

By bad Behairvour is bleaching and doing crazy colors then ruining it so bad I chop it off.
As I wrote that I made an appointment at a salon..

Luckily I cancelled it! Progress?

ExpectoPatronum
January 3rd, 2021, 08:01 PM
My worst habit is wearing a messy bun instead of a protective style. I do use satin scrunchies, but my ends are not in good shape because I did not wear satin scrunchies until recently.

So maybe my best be-hair-vior will be using *ONLY* satin scrunchies and maybe utilizing the nice hair toys I own.

Jools69
January 4th, 2021, 02:57 AM
My not so good habit is blow drying and heat styling. I do keep it down to occasional usage and use appliances that claim to use less heat, but even then, I never use their high setting.

squirrrel
January 4th, 2021, 03:18 AM
Worst habit? Fidgeting with it. If it’s down in a plait and a few hairs start to wriggle out, I find it very difficult not to pull them loose. This can lead to damage in general and snapped hairs at worst. I try to put it up more as there is less temptation when I do that.

Feral_
January 4th, 2021, 03:43 AM
The thing I need to stop doing is forgetting where my plait is while putting on my dog handling coat. The coat has industrial strength velcro to enclose the neck area, and I always get my plait stuck on it, so I need to remember to tuck it out of the way. Literally it’s so vicious it can snap hair removing it :bigeyes:

mary_whitney
January 4th, 2021, 08:01 AM
I WISH I could stretch washes to a week! I'm down to twice a week from every other day and my hair seems to appreciate that.

The bad habit I'm trying to cut in 2021 is dying my hair. Luckily I didn't do anything permanent, just vegetable dyes and one demi-permanent to get it back to my basic brown. I'd like 2021 to be the year I finally let it grow out natural. Also trying to actually use the boar bristle brush I bought regularly... right now I only break it out about once a week.

sky-
January 4th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Satin scrunchies are amazing! I like them just because they make my hair feel soft. I didn't realize they were good for ends. I'm gonna need to buy like 5 more now LOL.

Bat
January 4th, 2021, 09:02 AM
I'm not a fan of scrunchies, they are too big D:

lakhesis
January 4th, 2021, 09:46 AM
Deep conditioning every time I wash my hair is honestly what made the most difference in my case, so good luck with the SMT, leafygreens18!

I still do that, but I started wearing my hair down more often than I would like to admit, so I will work on that in 2021 :)

squirrrel
January 4th, 2021, 10:20 AM
If I get my hair stuck in Velcro, I always end up undoing the braid and pulling the strands through that way: it’s the least damaging option I’m aware of once that has happened.

SelenVinland
January 4th, 2021, 11:28 AM
I think my be-hair-vior improvement will be to stop getting my hair wet every single shower, even on days I’m not washing it...my hair has held up fine but I’m sure it’ll be better overall for my hair health.

svartnatt
January 4th, 2021, 12:27 PM
I defnitely slack when it comes to deep conditioning treatments - that is something I really want to change in 2021. I also want to use a pre-wash hair oil once a week.

Feral_
January 4th, 2021, 12:27 PM
I'm not a fan of scrunchies, they are too big D:

Wait til you get more hair Bat! Also you can get small satin ones, I have those :)

If I get my hair stuck in Velcro, I always end up undoing the braid and pulling the strands through that way: it’s the least damaging option I’m aware of once that has happened.

Thanks Squirrrel, will bear that in mind for next time! The velcro eats my hair even if it's loose like if I've worn a beanie - goodness knows what it's made from.

PurpleMoonstone
January 4th, 2021, 02:20 PM
My worst hair behaviour to date is probably fidgeting with my ends in the braid. Need to stop this... Luckily though my ends are improving along with my routines - I just need to stop fidgeting for certification :P

Bat
January 4th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Wait til you get more hair Bat! Also you can get small satin ones, I have those :)

Thanks Squirrrel, will bear that in mind for next time! The velcro eats my hair even if it's loose like if I've worn a beanie - goodness knows what it's made from.

Even with more hair I won't, doesn't fit my aesthetic unless they can come in discreet sizes!

SelenVinland
January 4th, 2021, 09:01 PM
I bought some mini velvet scrunchies off of Etsy that are more discreet, and I’ve seen satin ones there too. Not sure if it’ll work for you but they’re out there!

One of the velvet mini scrunchies I bought came in black, if that helps ;)

lapis_lazuli
January 4th, 2021, 11:09 PM
The worst I do to my hair is probably wearing it down occasionally but I can't let go of that one :o

I could be better about keeping a consistent schedule with my washes.

Feral_
January 5th, 2021, 04:33 AM
My worst hair behaviour to date is probably fidgeting with my ends in the braid. Need to stop this... Luckily though my ends are improving along with my routines - I just need to stop fidgeting for certification :P

I’m a bit OCD playing with my braid tassel :rolleyes:

squirrrel
January 5th, 2021, 06:08 AM
I’m a bit OCD playing with my braid tassel :rolleyes:

Great way to do preening!

Begemot
January 5th, 2021, 09:11 AM
Worst habit? Fidgeting with it. If it’s down in a plait and a few hairs start to wriggle out, I find it very difficult not to pull them loose. This can lead to damage in general and snapped hairs at worst. I try to put it up more as there is less temptation when I do that.

I'm in the team fidgeting too :shrug: If my hair is down and my hands are free, you can be sure that I'm touching my hair.

Feral_
January 5th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Great way to do preening!

Absolutely! :D

Zesty
January 5th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Protective sleep/home styles is probably the thing I need to work on. It's amazing how many fewer tangles I get and how much better my hair feels when I wear my hair in a bun to sleep, take it down and finger comb a bit, switch to a different bun, rinse and repeat. Spot-on old school LHC advice. :thumbsup:

I could also use more S&D and be more diligent about oiling my hair in between washes.

aloewurly
January 6th, 2021, 01:34 AM
Oh this looks like the thread for me! For starters, my hair is finally long enough to actually tie back, so I'm putting my hair up with a satin scrunchie or a cable tie anytime I'm at home. If I'm not leaving the house I'm not using any stylers(my hair does better with light hydrating products) and I'm looking into investing in a few silk pillowcases. I'm such an active sleeper any form of tying my hair up to sleep ends in snags and tangles :(
I also want to hold myself accountable and not buy any new products to try. I know my hair and I know all I need is a simple routine and lots of water, but sometimes new shiny products tempt me. If I post in any thread that I own more than 5 products total, I need all of you to scold me :p

C_Bookworm
January 6th, 2021, 09:53 AM
I love this idea!

I need to be better about braiding my hair up every night, then tucking it away in my mane bag. I also need to wear protective braids and buns more often. Since I cut in some face framing tendrils on Jan 1, I’m hoping this will encourage me to wear these styles more often. And keeping up with my vitamins. I got the gummy kind so at least they’ll feel like a treat.

xanthochromia
January 6th, 2021, 06:23 PM
I love this idea!

I need to be better about braiding my hair up every night, then tucking it away in my mane bag. I also need to wear protective braids and buns more often. Since I cut in some face framing tendrils on Jan 1, I’m hoping this will encourage me to wear these styles more often. And keeping up with my vitamins. I got the gummy kind so at least they’ll feel like a treat.

Gummy vitamins are the only way I'll do it regularly! I actually look forward to my vitamins now since I chose extra delicious ones :)

My hair is still short so I'm just trying to get into good habits to minimize damage when it's longer. I think it will be long enough to wear up fully in a month or two, so I'm going to start wearing silk scrunchies at home during the day once I reach that point. Unfortunately the scrunchies I ordered from Etsy have been a casualty of the USPS so I'm still waiting on them. Like Bat, I think true scrunchies are too big on me right now (and maybe forever!), but I found some thin ones that also seem to be small in diameter, so I'm hoping they look reasonable enough to wear outside too. I'm also learning how to braid -- my goal is to do one braid every day so that I get better at it by the time my hair is long enough to braid consistently. This neck-length hair is the longest it has been in 15 years/since I was a young teen, so I'm learning a lot of things from this forum!

meepster
January 6th, 2021, 09:54 PM
I think I need to moisturize my hair more often, either by oiling or by doing something to it. My hair likes olive oil so I should probably do that on a regular basis.

LadyEliza
January 6th, 2021, 10:08 PM
I'm doing the rice water wash and it is going well - keeping this up. Also I am going to bun at night instead of plait as my plait does get in the way and the kittens play with it!

Bat
January 7th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Gummy vitamins are the only way I'll do it regularly! I actually look forward to my vitamins now since I chose extra delicious ones :)

My hair is still short so I'm just trying to get into good habits to minimize damage when it's longer. I think it will be long enough to wear up fully in a month or two, so I'm going to start wearing silk scrunchies at home during the day once I reach that point. Unfortunately the scrunchies I ordered from Etsy have been a casualty of the USPS so I'm still waiting on them. Like Bat, I think true scrunchies are too big on me right now (and maybe forever!), but I found some thin ones that also seem to be small in diameter, so I'm hoping they look reasonable enough to wear outside too. I'm also learning how to braid -- my goal is to do one braid every day so that I get better at it by the time my hair is long enough to braid consistently. This neck-length hair is the longest it has been in 15 years/since I was a young teen, so I'm learning a lot of things from this forum!

I like this braid every day idea. I should do that too I'm awful with braids

C_Bookworm
January 7th, 2021, 09:28 AM

Yes! Ha there’s something incredibly fun about assigning yourself to eat vitamins as homework :rollin:

spidermom
January 7th, 2021, 01:10 PM
This year I am watching the protein/moisture balance of my hair. Last year I stuck to deep moisturizing treatments, and when I finally thought to test my hair this month, I found out that I need protein because a wet hair stretched and stretched, then did not spring back when I released the tension.

aloewurly
January 7th, 2021, 01:26 PM
This year I am watching the protein/moisture balance of my hair. Last year I stuck to deep moisturizing treatments, and when I finally thought to test my hair this month, I found out that I need protein because a wet hair stretched and stretched, then did not spring back when I released the tension.

Good luck!! As someone who's given themselves protein overloads way too many times: moisture overload is easily fixed, protein overload takes way longer :( So when in doubt stick to smaller amounts of protein, you can always add more later.

Dutchbraids
January 7th, 2021, 04:03 PM
My best be-hair-vior would be wearing it up as often as possible, and trying to get better at different styles of buns (especially ones I don't have to redo often, because nursing school clinicals are strict). This might help with it getting caught in my backpack straps often...
I should also probably detangle and lightly oil it every day after wash day, because it helps to prevent breaking due to very dry hair and yanking on tangles.
Since I'm in college I already barely remember to wash it anyway, and I detangle it the way I'm told I'm supposed to.
Also, too broke to dye it, and too lazy to use any kind of heat treatments.

xanthochromia
January 7th, 2021, 05:46 PM
My best be-hair-vior would be wearing it up as often as possible, and trying to get better at different styles of buns (especially ones I don't have to redo often, because nursing school clinicals are strict). This might help with it getting caught in my backpack straps often...
I should also probably detangle and lightly oil it every day after wash day, because it helps to prevent breaking due to very dry hair and yanking on tangles.
Since I'm in college I already barely remember to wash it anyway, and I detangle it the way I'm told I'm supposed to.
Also, too broke to dye it, and too lazy to use any kind of heat treatments.

Nursing school clinicals are strict and there are many things you don't want your hair getting into! I'm sure you have many real-life friends to commiserate with, but let me know if you need an internet friend for it too -- I went through the process about 4 years ago and am still licensed (though no longer work at the bedside).

Bat
January 7th, 2021, 06:22 PM
I'm still trying to figure out when I need protein , moisture is certainly something I need

sky-
January 7th, 2021, 08:25 PM
I just thought of another one. WATER. I need to drink so much more water. I never drink anything and I think growing my hair nice and healthy is a good motivation to drink more water.

Bat
January 8th, 2021, 05:15 AM
I just thought of another one. WATER. I need to drink so much more water. I never drink anything and I think growing my hair nice and healthy is a good motivation to drink more water.

Same! I never drink enough myself, if only water tasted nice

Feral_
January 8th, 2021, 06:24 AM
Same! I never drink enough myself, if only water tasted nice

Erm it does depend on your water - natural spring water is delicious. If fluid uptake is an issue for you, there's ways of flavouring it so you still get 'water'.

Bat
January 8th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Erm it does depend on your water - natural spring water is delicious. If fluid uptake is an issue for you, there's ways of flavouring it so you still get 'water'.

I've never liked the taste of water I usually put juice flavouring in it

leafygreens18
January 10th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Just checking in guys! It's been a week and I just washed my hair for the second time this year (lol!), I currently have an SMT in. Good luck everyone!