PDA

View Full Version : Should shears be so sharp they cut your skin?

JasminxCat
December 30th, 2020, 09:21 PM
I recently bought myself a pair of shears. They are highly reviewed on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Equinox-Professional-Shears-Razor-Edge/dp/B00KVYBY8M

But I'm not sure if they're any good. I tested sharpess by running my fingers across the blade with medium pressure but they don't cut through skin. Weird thought, but I would think hair cutting scissors would be sharp enough that they would? Maybe not. If I press with a lot of pressure I'm sure they would though, just not exactly razor sharp. They definitely aren't sharp enough to glide down hair, I tested that myself and it will just rip hair out instead. But it's sharp enough that the hair doesn't bend, catch or pull when cutting across

If you have shears are they so sharp that you need to be careful handling them, or are they the same as mine... and don't give you split ends?

I S&D'd earlier with them but I'm afraid I might have given myself more splits
We'll see

Jools69
December 31st, 2020, 01:39 AM
I’m no expert on hairdressing scissors/shears, but I would have thought it is important that they should be sharp enough not to pull the hair when cutting, and definitely shouldn’t become blunt easily. I’ve taken a look at the advert, and I feel their claims and quality are questionable. For example, it doesn’t specify the grading of the ‘Japanese steel’ within the advert and some of the reviews question if it is actually made from this material.

JasminxCat
December 31st, 2020, 01:45 AM
Yeah not sure if it truly is Japanese Steel or not. Says it was made in China. But jeez isn't almost everything made in China whether it be japanese steel or not? Not sure on that one though. They are sharp enough is all I can say, but not enough to glide down hair, only cutting

Feral_
December 31st, 2020, 02:17 AM
Mine are hairdressing scissors and are lethal. Once cutting my fringe I caught the ends of the scissors under my eyebrow, snip! So sharp, I didn’t feel it, yet suddenly there was blood - I’d cut a ‘v’ in my skin. Had to put a tiny plaster on! I wondered why my hairdresser had nicks over her fingers, now I know.

JasminxCat
December 31st, 2020, 02:20 AM
I found the same ones on Walmart that claim them to be Japanese steel
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equinox-Professional-Razor-Edge-Series-Barber-Hair-Cutting-Scissors-Shears-6-5-Overall-Length-Fine-Adjustment-Tension-Screw-Japanese-Stainless-Steel-/710334847

Don't think Walmart would lie about that, so I guess they are legit. Still questioning if they are sharp enough :shrug:

And those sound like quality scissors Feral_ ;)

lapushka
December 31st, 2020, 08:07 AM
Decent ones should be Japanese steel and will cost you at least 50 euro/dollars. Anything cheaper than that? Nope. Just no. Don't even attempt it. Tweezerman should be good, if they do Japanese steel.

I am in the EU, so anyone there, the Ultron brand is really good, for starter-shears. I had mine 10+ years, recently got new ones and they cut better than the old ones for sure. But I'm not getting these sharpened, tried that once before with other shears and it ruined the blades. If you can't have this done professionally, just don't!

Mine are razorsharp though. Got caught on the webbing between thumb & index finger once and made a slit right through. And man that hurts.

Be careful running your fingers over shears, though! :flower:

cat11
December 31st, 2020, 08:54 AM
Thank you for sharing this, I was considering these scissors but I'm not sure now!

lapushka
December 31st, 2020, 09:23 AM
I think... I rather would trust these ones... Plus, don't they come with life-time free sharpening?
https://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Stainless-2000-Styling-Shears/dp/B000WI0640

JasminxCat
December 31st, 2020, 11:02 AM
Decent ones should be Japanese steel and will cost you at least 50 euro/dollars. Anything cheaper than that? Nope. Just no. Don't even attempt it. Tweezerman should be good, if they do Japanese steel.

I am in the EU, so anyone there, the Ultron brand is really good, for starter-shears. I had mine 10+ years, recently got new ones and they cut better than the old ones for sure. But I'm not getting these sharpened, tried that once before with other shears and it ruined the blades. If you can't have this done professionally, just don't!

Mine are razorsharp though. Got caught on the webbing between thumb & index finger once and made a slit right through. And man that hurts.

Be careful running your fingers over shears, though! :flower:

Are yours sharp enough to glide down hair? I was looking at ultron but I don't think they're available to America

JasminxCat
December 31st, 2020, 11:09 AM
Thank you for sharing this, I was considering these scissors but I'm not sure now!

Yeah, I'm still not sure though. They could be perfectly great scissors for the price and I might just not know it yet. Time will tell how they hold up. I only got them to S&D and micro trim so I expect them to last at least a year or 2, not expecting them to last a lifetime. If my hair is full of splits in the next few weeks as my hair doesn't split often at all, then I will know the shears are a lie and will go in the trash

The Lizard Wife
December 31st, 2020, 01:14 PM
I don't have any good recommendations on scissors, but since people are talking about accidentally cutting themselves: after getting fed up with accidentally cutting my fingers, I've started wearing a cut-resistant safety glove when I trim my bangs!

0xalis
December 31st, 2020, 01:23 PM
I have heard someone on here uses a pair of sewing scissors kept specifically for s&d sessions. Sharp, effective, tiny.

lapushka
January 1st, 2021, 08:54 AM
Are yours sharp enough to glide down hair? I was looking at ultron but I don't think they're available to America

No Ultron is EU only. Yes, mine are razorsharp. That's Japanese steel for you. But you have to at least spend around 50 dollars / euro on it, for less? Don't think so. And do not get them off of ebay. They are dull as heck!

MusicalSpoons
January 1st, 2021, 10:45 AM
What do you mean by sharp enough to glide down hair? I've never heard of this before.

JasminxCat
January 1st, 2021, 12:51 PM
What do you mean by sharp enough to glide down hair? I've never heard of this before.

Sliding down your hair with ease without any snagging or tearing

JasminxCat
January 1st, 2021, 12:53 PM
No Ultron is EU only. Yes, mine are razorsharp. That's Japanese steel for you. But you have to at least spend around 50 dollars / euro on it, for less? Don't think so. And do not get them off of ebay. They are dull as heck!

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind

mae_lin
January 1st, 2021, 01:20 PM
That sounds amazing (the sharpness, not that you cut yourself, of course). What's the brand of the scissors and how much are they? I'm thinking of buying a pair, but don't know where to start looking.

mae_lin
January 1st, 2021, 01:22 PM
Mine are hairdressing scissors and are lethal. Once cutting my fringe I caught the ends of the scissors under my eyebrow, snip! So sharp, I didn’t feel it, yet suddenly there was blood - I’d cut a ‘v’ in my skin. Had to put a tiny plaster on! I wondered why my hairdresser had nicks over her fingers, now I know.

Sorry! My question was in reply to this. (I hope I am not violating any forum rules here by replying twice in a row. I don't seem to have the option to edit my posts.)

squirrrel
January 1st, 2021, 01:35 PM
Sorry! My question was in reply to this. (I hope I am not violating any forum rules here by replying twice in a row. I don't seem to have the option to edit my posts.)

Double posts happen by glitch as well as inability to edit. This is one of the features we get once we have built up 25 posts.

JasminxCat
January 1st, 2021, 01:52 PM
I found this site with some affordable shears and some high end. All japanese steel. Does anyone think it's legit

https://salonshearsdirect.com/all-scissors/?sort=priceasc

Both of these ones look nice and are on sale for 57 USD

https://salonshearsdirect.com/classic-series-japanese-steel-professional-salon-shears/

https://salonshearsdirect.com/classic-series-rainbow-scissors/

"The Pro Series Stainless Steel Hair Shear features an attractive design, advanced edge work and the Japanese Steel makes this shear a pleasure to work with. Great all around cutting tool, medium weight and well balanced blades, one of our top sellers. This hair scissor has a very comfortable fixed finger rest, an offset anotomic thumb for maximum comfort. Matching 5 Tooth Chunker, Matching 9 Tooth Chunker, 14 Tooth Matching Chunker, Matching 35 Tooth Texturizer, Matching 40 Tooth Blending Shear, Also available in left hand.
Available in 5.0" 5.5" 6.0" 7.0"
9CR Steel
Hand Made, 2 Piece Forged Design
Convex Edge
Fixed Finger Rest
Hand Adjustment Knob for Easy Maintenance
Comes with Scissor Case and Maintenance Kit"

Also found these ones from Ulta 45 USD

https://www.ulta.com/transform-575-shear?productId=pimprod2010085&sku=2552880&cmpid=P S_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI =aud-334903466055la-943230376446&CAAGID=107718644076&CAWELAID=33000020 0001835837&CATARGETID=330000200002459346&CADevice= m&gclid=CjwKCAiArbv_BRA8EiwAYGs23H3aVaLojvNC_CToKZ 1YM7BculFFYce0JD101mxHPKVtYEwlSsAi8xoCs2AQAvD_BwE

Chromis
January 1st, 2021, 02:46 PM
In the US, Sally's has pretty frequent sales on shears too.

lapushka
January 1st, 2021, 03:58 PM
In the US, Sally's has pretty frequent sales on shears too.

Seconding Chromis. I would go to a "well-known" (to you) beauty supply store, and get them from there. That is what I did when I bought Ultron. I went to a barber shop store that happened to be online.

ExpectoPatronum
January 1st, 2021, 05:09 PM
Oh darn, I actually have the scissors OP linked to. I haven't tried them yet but now I'm wondering if I should have gotten something better!

I will say they feel heavier in the hand than the cheap scissors I'd buy at Target. Maybe that counts for something?

lapushka
January 1st, 2021, 05:12 PM
Oh darn, I actually have the scissors OP linked to. I haven't tried them yet but now I'm wondering if I should have gotten something better!

I will say they feel heavier in the hand than the cheap scissors I'd buy at Target. Maybe that counts for something?

Well, even if they turn out to be not so great, it beats kitchen shears any time!!!

JasminxCat
January 1st, 2021, 06:04 PM
I was just looking at my hair in the light and I don't know if it is just because my vision is better today or I'm having better luck, but I see white dots and split ends everywhere. Well I think it's safer to say these equinox shears are going in the trash! Lol. Lesson learned, no idea what the rave is about these shears but they are a thumbs down for me. I've done research all day and have decided to get these ones once I sum up the money
https://scissortec.com/products/sozu-essentials-ergonomic-barbering-scissor

Please DO NOT buy the equinox shears. They are fake japanese steel

@ExpectoPatronum
Don't use them! ;)

lapushka
January 1st, 2021, 06:21 PM
I was just looking at my hair in the light and I don't know if it is just because my vision is better today or I'm having better luck, but I see white dots and split ends everywhere. Well I think it's safer to say these equinox shears are going in the trash! Lol. Lesson learned, no idea what the rave is about these shears but they are a thumbs down for me. I've done research all day and have decided to get these ones once I sum up the money

@ExpectoPatronum
Don't use them! ;)

Just FYI but 7 inches are big shears and a lot to handle! I would go with 5 1/2 inches! Those fit in the hand perfectly.

JasminxCat
January 1st, 2021, 06:30 PM
Just FYI but 7 inches are big shears and a lot to handle! I would go with 5 1/2 inches! Those fit in the hand perfectly.

Yes you're right. Perhaps these ones, same deal but 5.5 https://scissortec.com/products/sozu-classic-cutting-scissor

lapushka
January 1st, 2021, 06:52 PM
Yes you're right. Perhaps these ones, same deal but 5.5 https://scissortec.com/products/sozu-classic-cutting-scissor

Can I ask? What's wrong with getting a brand you trust, from a regular beauty supply store? I would go with that, and with what others recommend rather than just searching online.

JasminxCat
January 1st, 2021, 06:59 PM
Can I ask? What's wrong with getting a brand you trust, from a regular beauty supply store? I would go with that, and with what others recommend rather than just searching online.

There's not much to choose from here in the US especially if you are only looking for Japanese steel. I've read reviews online from my local beauty stores like Sally and Ulta and they don't sound very trustworthy with the 2-3 star ratings and mostly all being under 30 USD

ExpectoPatronum
January 1st, 2021, 07:43 PM
Well, even if they turn out to be not so great, it beats kitchen shears any time!!!

This is very true

@ExpectoPatronum
Don't use them! ;)

I didn't see this before I took the scissors to my hair but....honestly? I didn't think they were that bad. I trimmed off only an inch but they cut through my hair easy enough. And they ARE sharp enough to cut skin - I accidentally snipped my finger and it did bleed. Maybe I got a good pair?

I will say that I don't think they'd be good for cutting large amounts of hair. The ends I snipped off are very thin so there wasn't a ton of hair for the scissors to actually cut through.

JasminxCat
January 1st, 2021, 08:53 PM
This is very true

I didn't see this before I took the scissors to my hair but....honestly? I didn't think they were that bad. I trimmed off only an inch but they cut through my hair easy enough. And they ARE sharp enough to cut skin - I accidentally snipped my finger and it did bleed. Maybe I got a good pair?

I will say that I don't think they'd be good for cutting large amounts of hair. The ends I snipped off are very thin so there wasn't a ton of hair for the scissors to actually cut through.

Mine must have not been properly sharpened before leaving manufacturer. They look sharp and cut with ease, but examining my hair in the light all I can see is white dots every where I snipped and they did not appear until 3 days after using them. And like you, I only used them to S&D and microtrim. Didn't use them to take out chunks, only tiny bits and single pieces at a time

ExpectoPatronum
January 1st, 2021, 09:06 PM
Mine must have not been properly sharpened before leaving manufacturer. They look sharp and cut with ease, but examining my hair in the light all I can see is white dots every where I snipped and they did not appear until 3 days after using them. And like you, I only used them to S&D and microtrim. Didn't use them to take out chunks, only tiny bits and single pieces at a time

Hm...I'll keep an eye out over the next few days and see how my ends hold up. I do know I didn't trim all of my splits and white ends off so I'll be on the lookout for the problem getting worse. We shall see!

JasminxCat
January 1st, 2021, 09:12 PM
Hm...I'll keep an eye out over the next few days and see how my ends hold up. I do know I didn't trim all of my splits and white ends off so I'll be on the lookout for the problem getting worse. We shall see!

Yep. Maybe I'm just the unlucky one with the bad pair. For some reason the package mine was shipped in was sealed on both corners with scotch tape, but I see that's how it's packaged in some review pictures where these people had no problems with it, so didn't think anything of it. I'm starting to wonder if I received a used pair or if this is how it is actually shipped. Did you order yours from amazon?

CuteCrow
January 1st, 2021, 10:02 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention how to know if your shears are sharp enough to cut your hair. A good tip I learned from a hairdresser is to take a tissue paper which you can separate the plys (like pocket tissues or kleenex) and separate the layers to get only one ply. Then cut with your scissors, the cut should go all the way through from the base to the tip, if the tip of the shears won't easily cut the tissue they are not sharp enough (the tip is usually the weakest part and the area that looses sharpness faster).

After that, examine the cut made on the tissue. It should be perfectly clean and straight, if it's not then your shears are not sharp enough to cut your hair.

ExpectoPatronum
January 1st, 2021, 10:04 PM
Yep. Maybe I'm just the unlucky one with the bad pair. For some reason the package mine was shipped in was sealed on both corners with scotch tape, but I see that's how it's packaged in some review pictures where these people had no problems with it, so didn't think anything of it. I'm starting to wonder if I received a used pair or if this is how it is actually shipped. Did you order yours from amazon?

I did order mine from Amazon, and there was not scotch tape anywhere on the package. How strange!

ExpectoPatronum
January 1st, 2021, 10:06 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention how to know if your shears are sharp enough to cut your hair. A good tip I learned from a hairdresser is to take a tissue paper which you can separate the plys (like pocket tissues or kleenex) and separate the layers to get only one ply. Then cut with your scissors, the cut should go all the way through from the base to the tip, if the tip of the shears won't easily cut the tissue they are not sharp enough (the tip is usually the weakest part and the area that looses sharpness faster).

After that, examine the cut made on the tissue. It should be perfectly clean and straight, if it's not then your shears are not sharp enough to cut your hair.

Yeah, I just did that with my scissors and they cut through the tissue from base to tip and the cut was clean and straight.

Maybe this brand is just hugely inconsistent with quality? I will still be keeping an eye out for new splits though.

Jools69
January 2nd, 2021, 01:33 AM

Have you contacted the seller? If it is a used pair, they may send you a replacement.

If you’re after a good pair of shears and prepared to pay for good quality, I’ve just invested in these: https://www.kamisorishears.com/product/kck-72-professional-haircutting-shears/. They’re currently on sale with over £100 off, arrived from Canada within 4 days to the UK, in a case with its own oil and cloths. I used them the other day when trimming all of my hair; they’re easy to handle and cut like a dream.

JasminxCat
January 2nd, 2021, 01:57 AM
Have you contacted the seller? If it is a used pair, they may send you a replacement.

If you’re after a good pair of shears and prepared to pay for good quality, I’ve just invested in these: https://www.kamisorishears.com/product/kck-72-professional-haircutting-shears/. They’re currently on sale with over £100 off, arrived from Canada within 4 days to the UK, in a case with its own oil and cloths. I used them the other day when trimming all of my hair; they’re easy to handle and cut like a dream.

I will see about getting a replacement. Would still like to invest in some quality shears. And yes, I was looking into some of Kamisori's too. Definitely considering those
I wonder how much longer they will be on sale for

Jools69
January 2nd, 2021, 02:59 AM
I will see about getting a replacement. Would still like to invest in some quality shears. And yes, I was looking into some of Kamisori's too. Definitely considering those
I wonder how much longer they will be on sale for

I know they’re expensive and in the final sale with no returns or exchanges, but the price includes shipping and import tax, so I think they’re worth it. It doesn’t say how long the sale will last, but I imagine until they’re sold out, as they’re clearance stock. It won’t hurt to drop them an email and ask.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2021, 04:02 AM

If you cut your hair blunt, there will always be a blunt end (whitish looking end); that is *not* a white dot, that is normal. White dots are bigger and have a sharp bend to them.

MusicalSpoons
January 2nd, 2021, 07:14 AM
I know they’re expensive and in the final sale with no returns or exchanges, but the price includes shipping and import tax, so I think they’re worth it. It doesn’t say how long the sale will last, but I imagine until they’re sold out, as they’re clearance stock. It won’t hurt to drop them an email and ask.

Innnnnteresting! Very very interesting indeed :hmm:

trolleypup
January 2nd, 2021, 07:28 PM
I don't have any good recommendations on scissors, but since people are talking about accidentally cutting themselves: after getting fed up with accidentally cutting my fingers, I've started wearing a cut-resistant safety glove when I trim my bangs!
Make sure you avoid nipping the gloves, they may dull your shears.

Yeah, I just did that with my scissors and they cut through the tissue from base to tip and the cut was clean and straight.
I definitely wouldn't touch the business edge of my shear to my skin on purpose. Done it by accident enough to know what will happen.

As for the tissue paper, another issue is if they shears have the right tension on the blades...if the tension on the pivot screw is too low, they won't cut well, especially at the tip.

My S&D shears are from Bonika, and essentially I can barely feel when they slice off a split.

JasminxCat
January 2nd, 2021, 10:08 PM
If you cut your hair blunt, there will always be a blunt end (whitish looking end); that is *not* a white dot, that is normal. White dots are bigger and have a sharp bend to them.

I know. It can be difficult for me to tell what's a split or not, if I bend my hair a certain way in the light I can see a white dot, but will go away if I turn it at another angle so I wonder if it could just be the way the light is hitting it. Is this what you mean? But most of the white dots are obvious and you can see at every angle. Sorry for such hair OCD ;)
My hair is not cut very blunt though, I have a u hemline with a few soft layers I'm growing out

lapushka
January 3rd, 2021, 03:56 AM
I know. It can be difficult for me to tell what's a split or not, if I bend my hair a certain way in the light I can see a white dot, but will go away if I turn it at another angle so I wonder if it could just be the way the light is hitting it. Is this what you mean? But most of the white dots are obvious and you can see at every angle. Sorry for such hair OCD ;)
My hair is not cut very blunt though, I have a u hemline with a few soft layers I'm growing out

Yes that's what I mean, it's only at the very end of a hair.

I would (indeed) not go into it that deeply. ;) It's not gonna be healthy if you keep that up. Just FYI. Been there, done that, regretted that so much. I could not leave my hair alone at one point, and... it got ugly. My not wanting to leave it alone manifested in dye over dye over dye over dye until once was once too many and my hair chemically burned off and I burned my scalp in the process.

Yeah, that was me.

We all get splits and white dots (up a hair strand), but at the very ends? I would not worry about that, at all!

squirrrel
January 3rd, 2021, 04:01 AM
I only tend to trim off split ends if my hair is loose and the light happens to highlight them: I rarely go looking these days. There are usually plenty when it happens, but I have to be in specific locations.

JasminxCat
January 3rd, 2021, 12:39 PM
Yes that's what I mean, it's only at the very end of a hair.

I would (indeed) not go into it that deeply. ;) It's not gonna be healthy if you keep that up. Just FYI. Been there, done that, regretted that so much. I could not leave my hair alone at one point, and... it got ugly. My not wanting to leave it alone manifested in dye over dye over dye over dye until once was once too many and my hair chemically burned off and I burned my scalp in the process.

Yeah, that was me.

We all get splits and white dots (up a hair strand), but at the very ends? I would not worry about that, at all!

It can be addicting huh? :D I found it soothing
I borrowed some shears last night to do a thorough s&d. I can't find one split or white dot left. I'm not the type to get splits or white dots often. I mostly found them in the layers that haven't been cut since growing them out for the past year, and the very under layer of my hair that I used to load up with bobby pins. I'm happy with it now and have no reason to cut anything more. It feels nice that I can brush my hair smoothly now without almost any more tangles

The Lizard Wife
January 3rd, 2021, 01:36 PM
Make sure you avoid nipping the gloves, they may dull your shears.

Yeah...I'm definitely aware it's bad for my shears, but I'm choosing to sacrifice them rather than me! If it was S&D I'd be fine, but it's trimming those bangs that gets me...

Tried the tissue test...my original pair of scissors from Sally's, which a friend judged "too dull" and advised me to purchase something else, cuts perfectly all the way to the tip. The newer scissors, off Amazon and theoretically Japanese steel, are dull at the tip (which I'd wondered...don't know if they weren't good to begin with, or if it's the amount of not-hair I've cut with them. Me, the cut-resistant gloves...). My hair is generally quite split-resistant so it's not a huge issue for me for trimming bangs, even if they wouldn't be good for S&D.

MusicalSpoons
January 3rd, 2021, 02:03 PM
Mine are definitely not razor-sharp, running my finger along the blade, nothing. But the tissue test, perfect. Same with my S&D scissors ... so I don't know whether to invest in the Kamisori ones or not. I very rarely trim, don't do a whole ton of S&D - but they would likely last me the rest of my life, and if anyone else wanted to use them I'd know they were fine ... :hmm: :shrug: :confused: I can afford them, I'm just not sure I need them - or whether I am likely to in the future! That's kind of the deciding factor, really, whether I should buy them while I can or if they'll just sit unused.

Sorry, that was more of a ramble than expected! But any thoughts would be welcome.

CuteCrow
January 3rd, 2021, 03:00 PM

Maybe this brand is just hugely inconsistent with quality? I will still be keeping an eye out for new splits though.

hmm... I think the issue could be like lapushka said, that maybe you're confusing the normal "whiteness" inside the hair shafts as white dots? Does your hair feel damaged even after cutting? or is something else the issue here? do de shears nag your hair when you cut it?

JasminxCat
January 3rd, 2021, 03:21 PM
hmm... I think the issue could be like lapushka said, that maybe you're confusing the normal "whiteness" inside the hair shafts as white dots? Does your hair feel damaged even after cutting? or is something else the issue here? do de shears nag your hair when you cut it?

I think you were referring to me? Either way, the equinox shears had to have been either used or a bad pair that wasn't properly sharpened because it did not pass the tissue test and it left rough white dots on my hair in a matter of days after using them. But yes, it's sometimes easy to confuse white dots from the reflection of light, but I was able to tell a difference after using these shears. They are definitely not sharp enough to cut hair. Bad pair/used

JasminxCat
January 3rd, 2021, 03:22 PM
Mine are definitely not razor-sharp, running my finger along the blade, nothing. But the tissue test, perfect. Same with my S&D scissors ... so I don't know whether to invest in the Kamisori ones or not. I very rarely trim, don't do a whole ton of S&D - but they would likely last me the rest of my life, and if anyone else wanted to use them I'd know they were fine ... :hmm: :shrug: :confused: I can afford them, I'm just not sure I need them - or whether I am likely to in the future! That's kind of the deciding factor, really, whether I should buy them while I can or if they'll just sit unused.

Sorry, that was more of a ramble than expected! But any thoughts would be welcome.

I think as long as yours can pass the tissue test then that means they are sharp enough to cut hair so I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're feeling fancy and can afford it then go for it. I'd still love me some Kamisori's :p
I'm pretty sure there is lifetime warranty on them too so that's a plus & they should last many years if not forever

CopperButterfly
January 3rd, 2021, 06:20 PM
I have some equinox Scissors I bought back in 2017. I have cut myself by accident before, but when I tried the tissue test, the tips were definitely dull. So I don't know if they started out that way, but at the very least they haven't held up. Looks like I'll be going through the suggestions here and buying me some new Scissors. Hopefully my recent trim didn't damage my hair too much. :)

JasminxCat
January 3rd, 2021, 06:37 PM
I have some equinox Scissors I bought back in 2017. I have cut myself by accident before, but when I tried the tissue test, the tips were definitely dull. So I don't know if they started out that way, but at the very least they haven't held up. Looks like I'll be going through the suggestions here and buying me some new Scissors. Hopefully my recent trim didn't damage my hair too much. :)

Oh no I hope not. Yeah, they don't seem to hold up very well huh. I wouldn't expect them to last a year even if they started out good. Hence being only 20 USD. If they were good enough to pass the tissue test I would have used them for a while since I paid for them but I won't trust it. Was the tension screw adjusted before you did the test?

ExpectoPatronum
January 3rd, 2021, 07:54 PM
So far my hair seems alright after trimming with these shears. I think I'll keep using my pair of Equinox shears. I only trim my hair once per year (at most) anyway and I don't really S&D so even if they don't last long, I'll probably still get a few years out of them.

I will DEFINITELY invest in a better pair of scissors when I'm ready to replace these though.

JasminxCat
January 3rd, 2021, 09:21 PM
I'm glad they're working out for you, mine were certainly dull. And good idea. I will too

CopperButterfly
January 3rd, 2021, 10:15 PM
Oh no I hope not. Yeah, they don't seem to hold up very well huh. I wouldn't expect them to last a year even if they started out good. Hence being only 20 USD. If they were good enough to pass the tissue test I would have used them for a while since I paid for them but I won't trust it. Was the tension screw adjusted before you did the test?

So I'll admit I had no idea about adjusting the tension screw, so I watched a you tube video and theoretically I got the tension right. But I got the same result on my tissue test. The tips seem a bit dull. But since I use them to trim my bangs once a month, it's really not surprising, even if they did start out sharp, like you said.

Jools69
January 4th, 2021, 02:32 AM
It can be addicting huh? :D I found it soothing
I borrowed some shears last night to do a thorough s&d. I can't find one split or white dot left. I'm not the type to get splits or white dots often. I mostly found them in the layers that haven't been cut since growing them out for the past year, and the very under layer of my hair that I used to load up with bobby pins. I'm happy with it now and have no reason to cut anything more. It feels nice that I can brush my hair smoothly now without almost any more tangles

I know what you. After doing my first ever full trim last week, I’m tempted to another. So I understand the ‘addiction’ of trimming and S and D! :laugh:

I think as long as yours can pass the tissue test then that means they are sharp enough to cut hair so I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're feeling fancy and can afford it then go for it. I'd still love me some Kamisori's
I'm pretty sure there is lifetime warranty on them too so that's a plus & they should last many years if not forever

I must admit, I was tempted to buy the less expensive scissors since I’m planning not to be trimming very often. However, after doing a little ‘research’ (hate that term with its connotations!), I finally decided after a while to settle on the Kamisori's. The only thing that I was caught out on was coming from overseas - nothing against buy foreign, but I always try to buy within my own country to reduce shipping and any import duties. As it turned out, I had nothing to worry about. So I would recommend these scissors and buying direct from their clearance lines. :thumbsup:

lapushka
January 4th, 2021, 10:30 AM
You mean... tissue test is cutting through a tissue? I would never! It's like cutting through aluminum foil to sharpen them. I always thought those were myths. No way. I am keeping materials of any kind away from my shears! :)

MusicalSpoons
January 4th, 2021, 12:01 PM
*squeak* well, I bought them - thanks Jools69 for giving me the little final push I needed ;) It is SUCH a great offer, with postage AND import VAT/costs covered, I think I would have kicked myself for passing it up when my other shears inevitably ended up dull after a few uses.

lapushka the tissue test is a single ply of tissue, a single layer.

I did a little search because I wanted to find if it was a well-known, legit thing or not (no offence CuteCrow! :flower: I just remembered that hairdresser wisdom isn't always right when it comes to hair, though I did think they hopefully have been taught correctly about their tools - just wanted to be sure) and found this:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/my-fist-time-sharpening-barber-scissors.41918/#post-618049

The part that really stood out to me was testing on hair: "The hair should not run away from you or slide out of the shears uncut." The fact that I know *exactly* what he means by the hair 'running away' tells me that yeah, buying the better ones was the right decision :oops: :laugh:

Jools69
January 5th, 2021, 02:10 AM
*squeak* well, I bought them - thanks Jools69 for giving me the little final push I needed ;) It is SUCH a great offer, with postage AND import VAT/costs covered, I think I would have kicked myself for passing it up when my other shears inevitably ended up dull after a few uses.

lapushka the tissue test is a single ply of tissue, a single layer.

I did a little search because I wanted to find if it was a well-known, legit thing or not (no offence CuteCrow! :flower: I just remembered that hairdresser wisdom isn't always right when it comes to hair, though I did think they hopefully have been taught correctly about their tools - just wanted to be sure) and found this:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/my-fist-time-sharpening-barber-scissors.41918/#post-618049

The part that really stood out to me was testing on hair: "The hair should not run away from you or slide out of the shears uncut." The fact that I know *exactly* what he means by the hair 'running away' tells me that yeah, buying the better ones was the right decision :oops: :laugh:

You’re welcome. :)