PDA

View Full Version : Are there any pro-longhair hairdressers on your homecountry?

Priska
December 30th, 2020, 12:03 AM
In my homecountry they are educated to cut too much away almost every time... I wonder why. I think that a hairdresser, who is specialized in growing hair long, would make a great money. Not only cutting only a little bit of hair away, but also by selling products that support hair growing and by knowing much about it (maybe she could also sell hair extensions to those women whose hair doesn't grow long).

Maybe I educate myself a pro-longhair hairdresser... 🤔

blackgothicdoll
December 30th, 2020, 12:08 AM
Nope. They run their fingers through my hair, tell me how thick and healthy it is, then proceed to unleash the wrath of the sun (ahem.... blow-dry with a blow drier that must be jail broken, it is HOT). It's all about straight, smooth hair here.

There is a rule I've recently adopted over the last few years that has kept me out of the salon; if a stylists hair looks a way that you would not want your own to look, do not sit down in their chair.

Feral_
December 30th, 2020, 02:51 AM
I suppose long hair is the opposite of what they do, so they are rare. When I was maintaining mine at APL my hairdresser would show me how much she intended to cut off with my hair between her fingers first for me to agree. There were never any surprises. She did like to blow dry my hair though - presumably to show off the work she’d done - but I always refused; she used to blast it through on cold so I wasn’t leaving with sopping wet hair. IF I got my hair cut professionally again, she would be my choice.

Bat
December 30th, 2020, 02:57 AM
I don't know any. It I'm going to hair stylist school, I'll be pro Long hair in a few years xD

squirrrel
December 30th, 2020, 03:56 AM
I suppose long hair is the opposite of what they do, so they are rare. When I was maintaining mine at APL my hairdresser would show me how much she intended to cut off with my hair between her fingers first for me to agree. There were never any surprises. She did like to blow dry my hair though - presumably to show off the work she’d done - but I always refused; she used to blast it through on cold so I wasn’t leaving with sopping wet hair. IF I got my hair cut professionally again, she would be my choice.

I know hairdressers who thought that it was sad when I decided to cut my hair, unless to get rid of split ends, but there doesn’t really seem to be anyone nearby who is interested in hair for the sake of hair: there was a time I considered booking hair appointments to go for treatments: pampering it with nice products, maybe taking a little off the ends, working with someone to improve the quality of my length... but those kinds of places are few and far between, very expensive, and most young hairdressers I have come across seem to be focused on the cut and colour variation of hair care.

Ylva
December 30th, 2020, 05:33 AM
In my country, some "eco salons" have popped up in recent years. I've never visited one, but I've gotten the impression that they abstain from using synthetic dyes and instead use herbal dyes. They also do "energy cuts" combined with Indian head massage, and use natural products. I guess that could be sort of pro-long hair!

I don't know any. It I'm going to hair stylist school, I'll be pro Long hair in a few years xD

You'll need to do a world tour for members of the LHC when you graduate. :D

lakhesis
December 30th, 2020, 06:28 AM
Kind of. There is this hair salon that specializes in extensions, but they do other services to. I had extensions done there when I was in high school.

Then later on, when I stopped bleaching my hair to grow it out I decided to get balayage and chose this salon. Since they know how to treat super long hair, they were very gentle with my hair, recommended proper care, blow dried it on low heat and detangled very carefully. They cut only very little too, I was very happy with the experience.

Finda
December 30th, 2020, 07:33 AM
In my country, some "eco salons" have popped up in recent years. I've never visited one, but I've gotten the impression that they abstain from using synthetic dyes and instead use herbal dyes. They also do "energy cuts" combined with Indian head massage, and use natural products. I guess that could be sort of pro-long hair!

Yes, I also have a hollistic (?) salon in my neighborhood. They do seem have a different understanding of style and beauty. And the natural state of hair is more accepted. Before the cut they did an interview about expectations and they explained a bit about "natural haircare" and their philosophy. We also talked about how much I wanted cut and the hairdresser was very understanding and careful. They only carried organic hair care products (so no silicones) and only used herbal dies.

They also brushed my hair (very carefully) with a wild boar bristle brush instead of washing. I've never had that happening before. All in all it was a good experience.

Priska
December 30th, 2020, 09:18 AM
Kind of. There is this hair salon that specializes in extensions, but they do other services to. I had extensions done there when I was in high school.

Then later on, when I stopped bleaching my hair to grow it out I decided to get balayage and chose this salon. Since they know how to treat super long hair, they were very gentle with my hair, recommended proper care, blow dried it on low heat and detangled very carefully. They cut only very little too, I was very happy with the experience.

Great to hear! 😊
And it's also very interesting to hear that this tendency to cut hair as short as possible is widespread among hairdressers all over the world! I think there's also much else what hairdressers can do, but only cutting, just think about dying or curling long hair or teaching customers what alway can do to grow their hair long (phone many people it's a great challenge).

lapushka
December 30th, 2020, 11:41 AM
I think there was someone on here who had the same plans (to go to cosmetology school and open a long hair salon), but I can't remember who it was, and I don't think they're still around?

The Lizard Wife
December 30th, 2020, 05:16 PM
The hairdresser I went to for many many years was perhaps not pro-longhair, but she wasn't like a lot of the stories I hear! She always listened to what we wanted, never cut anything unexpected or gave us a style we didn't ask for, and always cut slightly less than what you asked for and had you look at it to see if she should keep going (or she would indicate a section of hair and say "this is a half-inch" if you seemed unsure). I wonder if part of the difference is that I believe she was technically trained as a barber, which I'm learning is very different from...someone who works in a salon? She did do coloring and things like that, but she never washed my hair before she trimmed it or cut a style for me.

The downside for her was that unless I had my hair in a short style or wanted bangs maintained, I wasn't a steady source of business.

(And now that I've moved out of the area, I've learned to cut my own hair/ask a friend for help. I get free tips on the forum, I have my products and routine figured out. So I wouldn't be a source of income for a longhair salon either...)

Ashtaroth
December 30th, 2020, 05:35 PM
My city has a “Bespoke Longhair Expert”. I haven’t been there. The website is a little woo-woo for my own preference. Plus it seems located in a pricey part of town.

A sample from the website.
“ LONGHAIRS® is the hub of hair beauty and hair therapy. Visiting our website is a worthy course because we never cease to surpass the expectations of our clients for quality hair. We work well to enable our clients to enjoy their moments with our hair services. If you need long but strong hair, LONGHAIRS® is the place for use. If you need beautiful and elegant hair that not only appeals to you but also raises your social status, look no further.

We have a lab a clinic a treatment office… store and hair salon/studio with oils for treatment of dry hair, restoration of hair color, changing hair color. Our hair supply store is filled with hair care shampoos and other shampoos such as hair growth shampoos which we focus on and use in the treatment of long hair. We have hair products for men for women of all genders and ages in abundance in our/her hair salon/studio and hair supply store.for mailing out to our customers and clients all over the world.”

AmaryllisRed
December 30th, 2020, 09:32 PM
There's a long-hair-focused salon in my state, a few hours away. At least one LHC-er has gone there for a haircut. I forget what it's called.

Regarding not sitting in the chair if the stylist has hair you wouldn't be happy to have, there is a stylist at the place I take my boys for haircuts who has longer hair (probably MBL-- why do so many hair stylists have such short hair?) and she often wears it in one or two braids. I think I'd let her cut my hair.
Maybe.
:D

Brethil
December 30th, 2020, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't think there would be much money to be made off us. Well, if you were to sell us products and hairtoys, you could make bank! But we don't tend to get haircuts very frequently and they tend to be fairly simple. We're probably less likely to want an expensive dye job and less likely to pay for a blow dry and flat ironing. Plus the comparative rarity of people who are really into long hair, and it doesn't seem like a particularly lucrative niche.

A sample from the website.
“ LONGHAIRS® is the hub of hair beauty and hair therapy. Visiting our website is a worthy course because we never cease to surpass the expectations of our clients for quality hair. We work well to enable our clients to enjoy their moments with our hair services. If you need long but strong hair, LONGHAIRS® is the place for use. If you need beautiful and elegant hair that not only appeals to you but also raises your social status, look no further.”

Man, that website is...something else. Even when you ignore the generous use of ALL CAPS, the website design is quite a bit dated. Pity, it looks like she might offer some good services and products. Maybe I'm just unduly influenced by the picture of the giant mug of hairtoys. I want to know what the pink rocks are for though. Something woo, I guess?