PDA

View Full Version : Sugar in haircare?...

Priska
December 29th, 2020, 05:27 AM
I have been testing sugar in haircare and I found little something about this in Google and in this forum, but very little... does anyone here have experiences of this? I think especially adding sugar into conditioner (and you can add much of it) gives hair volume, shine and thickness. I've actually wondered why there's so little talking about sugar in hair, or is it maybe working good only with my hairtype?... 🤔

Sorry I'm posting much today but finally I got an opportunity to do this, and I want to put all my questions here now when I can... 😁

Feral_
December 29th, 2020, 05:37 AM
There’s a thread about using honey in a treatment which might be of interest to you :o

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Priska
December 29th, 2020, 05:45 AM
Thank you!

Bri-Chan
December 29th, 2020, 05:55 AM
I've heard of sugar in the henna mix to prevent dryness but I never tried...
In my country cowash with sugar seems popular. I did it sometimes.

Shorty89
December 29th, 2020, 07:23 AM
I haven't heard of it being added to conditioner. I wonder if it would make your hair sticky.

lapushka
December 29th, 2020, 07:24 AM
I have been testing sugar in haircare and I found little something about this in Google and in this forum, but very little... does anyone here have experiences of this? I think especially adding sugar into conditioner (and you can add much of it) gives hair volume, shine and thickness. I've actually wondered why there's so little talking about sugar in hair, or is it maybe working good only with my hairtype?... ��

Sorry I'm posting much today but finally I got an opportunity to do this, and I want to put all my questions here now when I can... ��

I don't know, honey, yeah, not bad (as was suggested and there's a whole thread on it). But processed sugar? I would not do that in spring/summer for some reason. Wouldn't it attract critters? :hmm:

Mind you, I thought that about honey too! :lol:

Don't listen to me! ;)

curly girl fla
December 29th, 2020, 07:46 AM
I've use Suncoat Mousse before. It was nice for a light hold product. They have other sugar-based styling products HERE (https://suncoatproducts.com/product-category/sugar-based-natural-hair-styling-aids/)as well. I never heard of adding sugar to shampoo or conditioner, but I don't see why not? We add all sorts of food to our concoctions. Can't hurt to experiment a bit.

The-Young-Maid
December 29th, 2020, 12:06 PM
I have nothing to add besides RINSE EVERYTHING VERY WELL. Like more than you think you need to. Because I didn't and there were ants everywhere in the morning.:rolling:

Suortuva
December 29th, 2020, 04:43 PM
I know Urtekram has a Brown Sugar Shampoo for dry scalp, but I have not tested it.

ChloeDharma
December 29th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Sugar would make a good exfoliator for the scalp, if I were to do this I'd mix it with oil so that it didn't dissolve too quickly, also maybe castor sugar would be a less aggressive option than regular granulated as it's finer.
I use honey in my hair, mostly added to tea rinses but also in DT's from time to time. I know honey is a bit different but it's a similar area.
I personally wouldn't use any kind of sugar as a leave in product, I have nightmare visions of being chased by wasps trying to get to my hair, The-Young-Maid's account of getting swarmed by ants also would be enough to steer me away from that.
I did have an experience with honey where I applied it to dry hair before washing as an experiment quite a few years ago. The stuff seemed to stick to the last few inches of my hair and left them extremely dry and hard, though incredibly shiny and it took soaking my hair in a bath tub to remove the hardened on sugar.

SnowSpot
December 30th, 2020, 01:41 PM
I made a sugar water once and put it in a small spray bottle. For my soft 1b hair it performed quite all right as a hairspray - it gave the hairdo just a proper amount of flexible hold and shine. Once it was dry, it wasn’t sticky at all. It was also quite easy to wash out with WO (from my hair anyway). I think my mix was quite diluted though.

Carrie's hair
December 30th, 2020, 02:29 PM
Sugar = humectant = hydration

Priska
December 30th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Sugar = humectant = hydration
...and very cheap... 🙂

Carrie's hair
January 1st, 2021, 04:24 PM
...and very cheap... ��
Oh yes. Cheap and easily accessible.