PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with leave in and lint vs slippery hair

illicitlizard
December 29th, 2020, 04:10 AM
I've had really lint laden hair recently and it's making me feel bad, so yesterday I clarified my hair and all my brushes with super cheap ultra sulfate shampoo. I also didn't use detangling spray or any oil on my ends afterwards as I read from previous threads that adding any sort of leave in attracts lint. Which makes total sense.

Anyway, now I'm stuck with a dilemma. My hair is super silky and slippery when I just shampoo and condition and I'm struggling to keep it contained. Even braiding is a struggle, it shreds like crazy, I can temporarily get it up in a disc bun and that's it. Buns with pins have been uncomfortable lately (lots of pulling) and I fear they'd just slip out at this point anyway.

Is there a way that I can avoid lint whilst using oils/detangling spray(I need it) or tips to deal with slippy hair? I feel sort of at a loss though I'm sure the information is out there! I swear there was a thread about slippery hair but I can't find it -_-

Ylva
December 29th, 2020, 04:16 AM
Perhaps you were looking for this thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141358)?

Lady Stardust
December 29th, 2020, 04:26 AM
I’ve been having the same problem, although not with lint, just the slippery-ness. Even my Quattro kept falling out and I was worried I would lose it.

I’ve resorted to mini claw clips, really tiny ones. I use 4 to keep a bun up. Two would work but 4 is more comfortable. They don’t look as nice as a stick or a fork but no one sees them anyway as I’m not going anywhere!

illicitlizard
December 29th, 2020, 04:34 AM
Perhaps you were looking for this thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141358)?
Yes that actually was the one! Thank you :)

I’ve been having the same problem, although not with lint, just the slippery-ness. Even my Quattro kept falling out and I was worried I would lose it.

I’ve resorted to mini claw clips, really tiny ones. I use 4 to keep a bun up. Two would work but 4 is more comfortable. They don’t look as nice as a stick or a fork but no one sees them anyway as I’m not going anywhere!

I had a couple of smaller claw clips that I've been using but I broke one the other day :( might be worth replacing. I also don't like the way they look, but sometimes it doesn't matter. If it works it works!

Shorty89
December 29th, 2020, 07:26 AM
As for lint, do you clean your brushes/combs regularly? That can help cut down on lint.

florenonite
December 29th, 2020, 07:38 AM
Have you tried damp bunning? I find when my hair is freshly washed I often need to mist it with water before trying to put it in a bun so it'll stay up and not pull.

sipnsun
December 29th, 2020, 07:56 AM
Ugh, it's so frustrating! Every close up pic that I take I can see lint and little bits of who knows what in my hair. Drives me crazy and unfortunately I haven't found a solution. Like you, I have to oil to give my hair some 'grip' or it just falls out of any style. I guess I'm just here to say I relate and sympathize... :shrug:

lapushka
December 29th, 2020, 11:08 AM
I don't know there is a way, really, not that I know at least.

I use stylers, geared towards type 3/4 but less of it, and they are pretty heavy creams (which I need), but the brush when I go through at the end of the week is like... "plucks" of fuzz, there is just no other way to describe it, just come out and roll themselves around the pins of the brush. <sigh>

Try and get that out, you have to pinch that from each bristle, it's that tightly wound around there.

But I just keep styling my hair, because I have to contain my hair somehow. So I now have a separate brush that I brush with right before my wash, and I use it to get the lint out and detangle before the wash. It has no other purpose.

I keep that brush semi-clean, because it's to get lint out anyway. But then it's out, you know, and I don't have to worry about it on my freshly washed hair.

illicitlizard
December 29th, 2020, 05:05 PM
As for lint, do you clean your brushes/combs regularly? That can help cut down on lint.
As soon as they start looking linty is when they get a clean, which is probably once a week. Used to be more but they'd fill up again really quickly so I gave up a bit.

Have you tried damp bunning? I find when my hair is freshly washed I often need to mist it with water before trying to put it in a bun so it'll stay up and not pull.
That might be an idea! I do have a bit of a concern that my hair is too fragile to bun consistently when wet, but I bet it would help it to stay in place.

I don't know there is a way, really, not that I know at least.

I use stylers, geared towards type 3/4 but less of it, and they are pretty heavy creams (which I need), but the brush when I go through at the end of the week is like... "plucks" of fuzz, there is just no other way to describe it, just come out and roll themselves around the pins of the brush. <sigh>

Try and get that out, you have to pinch that from each bristle, it's that tightly wound around there.

But I just keep styling my hair, because I have to contain my hair somehow. So I now have a separate brush that I brush with right before my wash, and I use it to get the lint out and detangle before the wash. It has no other purpose.

I keep that brush semi-clean, because it's to get lint out anyway. But then it's out, you know, and I don't have to worry about it on my freshly washed hair.
Yep, I feel that one, they just accumulate tightly around the bristles for me too. Maybe I need to separate brushes or just brush less often (usually brushing at least once a day)

sipnsun thanks, it really is a frustration. Going to try and go free from oils etc and if it helps will try and find other ways to contain things... or just get very used to wispys!

ExpectoPatronum
December 29th, 2020, 08:07 PM
I wonder if you could use a little gel to give your hair some more grip for buns and braids? I am not sure if that would be worse or better for attracting lint though! I also struggle with lint, but I use oils regularly and have a dusty pet bird, so it's inevitable for me.

lapushka
December 31st, 2020, 10:06 AM
I wonder if you could use a little gel to give your hair some more grip for buns and braids? I am not sure if that would be worse or better for attracting lint though! I also struggle with lint, but I use oils regularly and have a dusty pet bird, so it's inevitable for me.

For me gel over cream definitely worsens it. :lol: But I do what I gotta. No gel: poofy hair (it's like it has had a dose of electricity). :lol: