PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for hair to look thinner at the front(hairline)?

Fantak
November 12th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I have been watching people's hairline for a while now and some people have a gorgeous hairline of thick black hair where you can't see the scalp, some you can see some scalp showing through and other a little more.

This is probably more obvious is you have dark hair and lighter skin.

Sometimes I'd look at my hair in the mirror and see my hairline looking thinner than the rest of my hair, sometimes it looks normal :/ What is 'normal'?

Speckla
November 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
There really is no normal. Mine is thinner and I see more scalp but that's ok.
I'd say yours is normal for you if it's always looked like that and doesn't look thinner than before.
________
Mercedes-Benz S-Class (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_S-Class)

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I agree, everyone has a different hairline and mine looks thinner there sometimes too, sometimes not. My hairline has actually thickened up a bit with catnip use. Be concerned only if there is a significant change, IMO.

Sammybunny711
November 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I have blond hair and my hairline seems to be thinner but it has always been this way and it could just be the fact that my hair is like ULTRA light/white-ish at my hairline so it may not be that thin at all...just fine at the front...

Either way, I don't' think it is a cause for concern. :)

AnnaMarie
November 12th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I can see my scalp a little through my hair at the hairline. I have only noticed this recently although it may have always been like this and now I'm paying more attention to my hair I have seen it lol. I have also noticed as I'm getting older my hair is getting finer( the actual hair shaft itself) so that may also play a part.

Nat242
November 12th, 2008, 07:05 PM
My hair is a little thinner around my hairline - I'm working on thickening it up with massage, catnip, and oils, but it's not too bad. It's only a problem when my hair is oily.

Tangles
November 12th, 2008, 07:30 PM
This is one situation where face framing layers would be an absolute godsend in my opinion...

~GypsyCurls~
November 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I've heard that the front of your hair is almost always shorter since it's exposed to the elements the most...I definitely can see my scalp though when looking at the top of my forehead...hate it, but I think it's normal!

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM
i have this too, infact my right hand side is a lot thinner and it did worry me a bit back as id never noticed it before but then this is the first time I have never had a fringe so i guess i wouldnt have noticed it!

Drynwhyl
November 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM
It's normal to me. I always have baby hair there ;S

Arctic
November 13th, 2008, 08:34 AM
My scalp is visible from the front hair line, always been this way. I am sure it's normal.

ChloeDharma
November 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM
My hair is thinner at the hairline, though not all the way along, just an inch or 2 where my part usually is and a cowlick. It does concern me as it's not always been that way and i did wonder if it was due to wearing my hair up so much. I notice the same patch of thinning on women who have long hair culturally though.....where you can see it's always in a bun. I try not to worry too much.

Aisha25
November 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Chloe does it means where we have a natural part on top of the hair??

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM
My hair is thinner at the hairline, though not all the way along, just an inch or 2 where my part usually is and a cowlick. It does concern me as it's not always been that way and i did wonder if it was due to wearing my hair up so much. I notice the same patch of thinning on women who have long hair culturally though.....where you can see it's always in a bun. I try not to worry too much.

There is something called traction alopecia, which I read about called traction baldness, years ago.
".... traction alopecia is associated with sustained tension on the scalp hair ...."
http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic895.htm

sneakybea
November 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
My hair tends to be a lot finer and wispy around my face and especially in front of my ears. It's more noticeable when my hair is smooshed flat or matted down, such as by sleep. I think it's normal, though I go through periods of anxiety about it from time to time.

Periwinkle
November 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Many of the girls at my school wear ponytails, but I've yet to see anyone who doesn't have a bit of scalp showing at the front, even if they have thick hair and none is showing at the back. I've always considered it totally normal.

ChloeDharma
November 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Chloe does it means where we have a natural part on top of the hair??

I think some people find the length of the part widens....but the bit i mean, on myself at least, goes maybe half an inch back.

Ktani....yup traction alopecia can be a real problem, though especially if people have tight microbraids, cornrows etc. But It's also known to be a problem with some balerinas wearing tight buns all the time.
I try to do my buns looser now, i used to oil my hair then scrape it all back into tight buns most of the time....i also got traction alopecia all though my hairline years ago when i was having woolbraid extensions all the time, the front section especially suffered as that area was box braided to prevent slipping of the (heavy) braids and i had patches of baldness that took ages to fill in again.
My hairline now has more like diffuse thinning.....anyone who has been to the London meet when i've gone knows what i mean.
I do think we need to be carefull when doing updo's to be aware of this and try to make sure that the weight feels spread out and not focused on any one area.

Fantak
November 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your input everyone it's helped calm me down :)

intothemist1999
November 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I have been watching people's hairline for a while now and some people have a gorgeous hairline of thick black hair where you can't see the scalp, some you can see some scalp showing through and other a little more.

This is probably more obvious is you have dark hair and lighter skin.

Sometimes I'd look at my hair in the mirror and see my hairline looking thinner than the rest of my hair, sometimes it looks normal :/ What is 'normal'?

Although I have a thick head of hair (dark hair and light skin), if I'm right under the lights in the bathroom, especially with freshly clean (dry) hair (so it's stand up a teensy bit from the scalp), the light can shine through the hair, and I can see where the hairs are "attached". That gives it the *impression* of being kind of thin....

Fantak
November 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Although I have a thick head of hair (dark hair and light skin), if I'm right under the lights in the bathroom, especially with freshly clean (dry) hair (so it's stand up a teensy bit from the scalp), the light can shine through the hair, and I can see where the hairs are "attached". That gives it the *impression* of being kind of thin....

yes! that sounds like what I've been doing.. I've come to the conclusion that checking in better lighting is not a good idea ;p

vindo
November 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
The front hairline is really dense for me, no scalp showing...I have never paid attention to that on anyone...wonder if I understand the question right...:confused: