PDA

View Full Version : Omg I messed up my hair 👀

Mishj91
December 23rd, 2020, 03:21 AM
Feel like a rant... Had my hair cut today because we due to go in lockdown again. I only wanted a trim but I he hairdresser cut it of below boobs I wouldn't mind but it's shorter underneath to my boobs. Ahhhhhh!!! Shouldn't take long to grow back but it's bit of a shock 🤦*♀️

Mishj91
December 23rd, 2020, 03:22 AM
Previously it was to lower back

lapushka
December 23rd, 2020, 03:56 AM
That's a big chunk, all right! Yikes! :shocked:

I see you haven't been on the forum long. Did you know you can trim hair that long perfectly fine by yourself, no fuss, and *you* decide what you take off. There really is no need for a hairdresser anymore!

Maybe look into self-trimming. Feye's self-trimming method is what we typically use here for trims.
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Or spidermom's technique on Feye's:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151869

If you want layers, take a look at the compact cut methods for layering:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138127

My hair (see signature) is cut with a layering technique, the one also, so lovingly, called "unicorn cut". :D

You see, there are all sorts of options, and really no need to stress yourself out over a haircut anymore.

I feel bad for you, I really do. :(

Feral_
December 23rd, 2020, 03:59 AM
Oh no! RIP hair. That’s more than a trim :( Try to focus on something positive about your hair, like the condition rather than length.

cat11
December 23rd, 2020, 07:25 AM
Oh no! RIP hair. That’s more than a trim :( Try to focus on something positive about your hair, like the condition rather than length.

This. I'm sure the ends are really nice now, and now that you are in lockdown again, nothing to do but grow!

Sorry for the bad cut :( I haven't had it happen but this EXACT thing happened to a friend once and it was really shocking for her.

Lainey
December 23rd, 2020, 10:22 AM
That's a big chunk, all right! Yikes! :shocked:

I see you haven't been on the forum long. Did you know you can trim hair that long perfectly fine by yourself, no fuss, and *you* decide what you take off. There really is no need for a hairdresser anymore!

Maybe look into self-trimming. Feye's self-trimming method is what we typically use here for trims.
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Or spidermom's technique on Feye's:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151869

If you want layers, take a look at the compact cut methods for layering:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138127

My hair (see signature) is cut with a layering technique, the one also, so lovingly, called "unicorn cut". :D

You see, there are all sorts of options, and really no need to stress yourself out over a haircut anymore.

I feel bad for you, I really do. :(

Lapushka, very helpful advice. Please do you know if any of these self trims work on collar bone length hair? Im still short but I want to leave my shortest hair to get to that length before trimming. Thanks.

JasminxCat
December 23rd, 2020, 12:04 PM
You know, I learned this trick
Hairdressers seem to make their own measurements of what is a trim. A trim should only be an inch, no more. But every stylist will answer that differently because a trim to one stylist will be half an inch, and to another it could be 2 to 3 inches. Next time you are scheduled for a trim make sure you ask them
"So how long do you think an inch is?"
Of course they should know this
"OK that is how much I want you to cut"

And they won't feel the need to experiment on your hair by cutting more than you want. I do this every time I get a trim for the past 8 years and haven't had a bad cut since lol

spidermom
December 23rd, 2020, 12:48 PM
Sometimes stylists thinks that a trim should take you back to a length you are maintaining. For example, they will ask "how long since your last haircut?" and if you answer "eight months", they will cut 4 inches because 1/2 inch average growth per month times 8 months = 4 inches.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2020, 03:57 PM
Lapushka, very helpful advice. Please do you know if any of these self trims work on collar bone length hair? Im still short but I want to leave my shortest hair to get to that length before trimming. Thanks.

Oooh that's kind of short for this to work well, I think. I just didn't trim and let it grow, because that's a length where it is usually freshly cut still (in a lot of cases) and can grow for at least a couple years.

ETA/ let me explain...
You have to be able to "bring it forward", and that's not do-able with collar bone length.

Lainey
December 23rd, 2020, 04:30 PM
Oooh that's kind of short for this to work well, I think. I just didn't trim and let it grow, because that's a length where it is usually freshly cut still (in a lot of cases) and can grow for at least a couple years.

ETA/ let me explain...
You have to be able to "bring it forward", and that's not do-able with collar bone length.
Thanks Lapushka. I’ve been growing from pixie. I guess I’ll have to wait a while longer because I’m not yet shoulder. I just don’t want to go to the hairdresser again.

Dark40
December 24th, 2020, 08:50 AM
That's one of the main reasons why I don't go to hairdressers. They get entirely too scissor-happy. They always want to cut off more than you want them to. Whenever I feel I need a trim I cut off only 1 cm or an inch.

Lady Stardust
December 24th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Lainey you could see if you can do Feye’s straight across trim at collarbone length, it might be possible? You make a ponytail at the nape of your neck. It might be too short to do on your own though, you might need someone to cut it for you, if the ends are too short to hold up to the mirror to see what you’re doing.

There are people here who trim their own hair at much shorter lengths but I don’t know how (and that’s just as well so I can’t give myself a bob in a weak moment!)

Lainey
December 24th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Lainey you could see if you can do Feye’s straight across trim at collarbone length, it might be possible? You make a ponytail at the nape of your neck. It might be too short to do on your own though, you might need someone to cut it for you, if the ends are too short to hold up to the mirror to see what you’re doing.

There are people here who trim their own hair at much shorter lengths but I don’t know how (and that’s just as well so I can’t give myself a bob in a weak moment!)

Thanks Lady Stardust, so very kind of you to take the time to reply. I’m going to try that when I’m that length. I’ll just take a bit off the bottom and feel my way, with help, if needs be, from a family member. Once any form of social life resumes, I’ll have to do something to it, but at the moment it’s cold, so it’s quietly hidden under a beanie. My whole hair project is about freeing myself from the hair hamster wheel of blow drying, styling, hairdressers, highlights... blah, blah...well you know what I’m saying, I’m sure. I might as well start as I mean to go on, so I will do it myself!

lapushka
December 25th, 2020, 08:09 AM
Thanks Lady Stardust, so very kind of you to take the time to reply. I’m going to try that when I’m that length. I’ll just take a bit off the bottom and feel my way, with help, if needs be, from a family member. Once any form of social life resumes, I’ll have to do something to it, but at the moment it’s cold, so it’s quietly hidden under a beanie. My whole hair project is about freeing myself from the hair hamster wheel of blow drying, styling, hairdressers, highlights... blah, blah...well you know what I’m saying, I’m sure. I might as well start as I mean to go on, so I will do it myself!

Plus, and here I am going on about money again. LOL. But, it will save you a pretty penny.

About that. First it was just mom & me doing haircuts, but we calculated, she is now 75 and has been cut/coloring her hair since about her 40s. She has saved a car doing it herself over her lifetime!

And now we also started doing dad's hair!

Mom & me just cut his hair for the 4/5th time? I lose track, but we now do it every 5/6 weeks, and he's happy. We do it a bit shorter than his barber but "roughly" the same cut. I have to say "Regal Gentleman" is a channel that has helped us out hugely. All you need to know to watch it is this, "short back and sides"? :lol:

But yes, it saves an absolute *ton* of money! No joke!

Lainey
December 25th, 2020, 11:04 AM
Plus, and here I am going on about money again. LOL. But, it will save you a pretty penny.

About that. First it was just mom & me doing haircuts, but we calculated, she is now 75 and has been cut/coloring her hair since about her 40s. She has saved a car doing it herself over her lifetime!

Mom & me just cut his hair for the 4/5th time? I lose track, but we now do it every 5/6 weeks, and he's happy. We do it a bit shorter than his barber but "roughly" the same cut. I have to say "Regal Gentleman" is a channel that has helped us out hugely. All you need to know to watch it is this, "short back and sides"? :lol:

I agree saving money is good Lapushka, and also gaining the satisfaction and empowerment that comes from mastering a skill. There is a lot to recommend self sufficiency and independence in regards to doing your own hair, or indeed, having the skill to do friends and family.

lapushka
December 25th, 2020, 04:33 PM
I agree saving money is good Lapushka, and also gaining the satisfaction and empowerment that comes from mastering a skill. There is a lot to recommend self sufficiency and independence in regards to doing your own hair, or indeed, having the skill to do friends and family.

Could not have said it any better. It is so satisfying and all you need is a bit of time, some tools, some instructions at the very start (you learn as you go) and you're good to go!

Jools69
December 26th, 2020, 01:58 AM

I think it’s despicable the amount of money charged for cutting hair, especially women’s in comparison to men’s. I understand hairdressers need to run a business, but I don’t understand how they can justify charging women a lot more than men. Some may argue that it’s because more women tend to have longer hair than men, but then, some men can also have long hair. Furthermore, how can they justify charging me more for 5 minute (if that) dry trim at shoulder length hair for example, to a man with short hair that was washed, trimmed with scissors and a razor, making sure all the layers and hairline are all level and sitting neat - essentially taking 15-20 minutes? Which is why I’m considering trimming my own hair now that it’s at waist. :thumbsup:

lapushka
December 26th, 2020, 03:56 AM
I think it’s despicable the amount of money charged for cutting hair, especially women’s in comparison to men’s. I understand hairdressers need to run a business, but I don’t understand how they can justify charging women a lot more than men. Some may argue that it’s because more women tend to have longer hair than men, but then, some men can also have long hair. Furthermore, how can they justify charging me more for 5 minute (if that) dry trim at shoulder length hair for example, to a man with short hair that was washed, trimmed with scissors and a razor, making sure all the layers and hairline are all level and sitting neat - essentially taking 15-20 minutes? Which is why I’m considering trimming my own hair now that it’s at waist. :thumbsup:

Here if men go to the regular salons, they are charged way more than say with a barber, and it can be (depending on the place you go to) on par with the basic women's cut. My dad's barber charges between 10 & 15 euro. No washing.

For women. If you just want a block color, so solid color, and a cut, + wash/blowdry, then it will set you back about 100 euro in most salons. Balayage / highlights are about 40 euro more expensive, if you're lucky!

Take 100 euro about 12 times a year, that's 1.200 euro just to get your hair done! Times 10 equals 12.000. Times 3 (the thirty years mom's been doing that). I mean... If you put it like that, it's a nice *new* car! You often don't realize that if you want to maintain a cut/color, it takes money to do that, and the older you get (grays) the more it is needed.

Yes, doing it yourself still costs, the cost of the dye, the one-time cost of scissors & other tools like clippers, but then... If you can do the hair of your entire household, I think you'll double that car amount during your lifetime!

Jools69
December 26th, 2020, 04:11 AM
Here if men go to the regular salons, they are charged way more than say with a barber, and it can be (depending on the place you go to) on par with the basic women's cut. My dad's barber charges between 10 & 15 euro. No washing.

For women. If you just want a block color, so solid color, and a cut, + wash/blowdry, then it will set you back about 100 euro in most salons. Balayage / highlights are about 40 euro more expensive, if you're lucky!

Take 100 euro about 12 times a year, that's 1.200 euro just to get your hair done! Times 10 equals 12.000. Times 3 (the thirty years mom's been doing that). I mean... If you put it like that, it's a nice *new* car! You often don't realize that if you want to maintain a cut/color, it takes money to do that, and the older you get (grays) the more it is needed.

Yes, doing it yourself still costs, the cost of the dye, the one-time cost of scissors & other tools like clippers, but then... If you can do the hair of your entire household, I think you'll double that car amount during your lifetime!

Indeed. Cutting out the ‘middleman’ certainly saves some money, even considering the initial outlay for equipment and ongoing expenses. I think a lot of people are discovering how to do some of the salon services at home themselves and are realising how much they can save. On the flip side, imagine some hairdressers are wondering how this new found confidence would affect their businesses.

When my boys were younger, I did buy a razor kit that came with different size blades and scissors. It was the early 90s when the style for men was shorter underneath than the crown. It actually turned out reasonably well; it just took confidence to do and my 4 year old son to believe in me! :D

lapushka
December 26th, 2020, 02:13 PM
Indeed. Cutting out the ‘middleman’ certainly saves some money, even considering the initial outlay for equipment and ongoing expenses. I think a lot of people are discovering how to do some of the salon services at home themselves and are realising how much they can save. On the flip side, imagine some hairdressers are wondering how this new found confidence would affect their businesses.

When my boys were younger, I did buy a razor kit that came with different size blades and scissors. It was the early 90s when the style for men was shorter underneath than the crown. It actually turned out reasonably well; it just took confidence to do and my 4 year old son to believe in me! :D

I think it's amazing that you did that, because cutting a young child's hair is often even more challenging! :D It's like a moving target. :lol:

melesine
December 26th, 2020, 03:03 PM
Sometimes stylists thinks that a trim should take you back to a length you are maintaining. For example, they will ask "how long since your last haircut?" and if you answer "eight months", they will cut 4 inches because 1/2 inch average growth per month times 8 months = 4 inches.

This! I had this exact experience years ago when a stylist asked me that and proceeded to cut me into a bob. I was completely enraged but it was too late. I cut my own hair for a very long time as a result.