PDA

View Full Version : Broken Shoulder 1 Armed Hair Help.

nmgdolly
December 21st, 2020, 05:41 AM
Good morning everyone,
It has been awhile since I posted. Last week, I broke my left shoulder. Entire left arm is now in a sling...
Trying to care for my hair with only my right hand is proving to be extremely difficult. Like, my hair is super pitiful looking. Lank, greasy and full of cowlicks. I have nobody to help me with my hair. I need advice a lot. With only 1 arm, I can not bun or braid. I am lost...
Thank you,
Nancy

Mariekeeee14
December 21st, 2020, 05:56 AM
I googled one handed braid and a few youtube tutorials came up (I cannot watch them right now) but I would recommend that for you

lapushka
December 21st, 2020, 06:09 AM
I would just wash it as best as possible, bent over the tub, it's probably the best way. At least, I think so. Just brush it out, brush it forward, get it wet, put the shampoo on straight from the bottle and rub it around the best you can. It doesn't have to be perfect. Do what you can do.

Can't you get a home aid, or anything? I would look into it.

Are barbers/hairsalons closed where you live, otherwise I would just get it washed there!
No need to torture yourself if you don't have to!

Dragon
December 21st, 2020, 06:23 AM
I found this video on braiding with one hand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-aL7cVfUU
My only suggestion that haven’t already been mentioned is are there any protective hairstyles that can stay in for a week or more like several braids that you could get a hairstylist to do to help avoid tangles if you struggle detangling with one hand.

Strands
December 21st, 2020, 07:38 AM
For washing, I would really recommend using diluted shampoo in a bottle. Even an empty ketchup bottle that is cleaned out would do if you need ideas to find one. You can also do conditioner the same way. Use about an ounce, or a couple tablespoons of product to about one cup of water. Alternatively, about 28g product to about 85g water. (I use metric myself although I am in the US, but I know a lot of people here are UK and also use metric. :) ) I would use this method to wash and condition.

For drying, I would try laying on the towel on the bed to have a pat dry effect or use a washcloth over wet sections and gently squeeze to get out the bulk of the moisture. I have some double thickness cotton hand towels I made just for drying my hair, but in a pinch I have used regular cotton twist hand towels and it works well enough, just do not DRAG the towel down the length it is baaaaad.

Brushing will probably be the most challenging. If I could not use my left arm I would be in a lot of trouble, as I am left dominant. I think I would wait for my hair to dry, bring it over my right shoulder and finger detangle as much as possible and just gradually add in product. Once hair is where I want it, I would either have someone braid it for me, and try to wait a week to repeat this insane process, or I would perhaps just do a loose single hand twist enough to get it into a snood like situation. I have done that while nursing babies before, so I know it is possible. lol.

I second the post about searching ways to single hand braid on YouTube, and then secure it perhaps with a clip provided your ends tail enough to work that way.

Wow. I am so sorry about your shoulder though. I could not imagine that struggle. Thankfully, in that position I have a 7 year old LHC-to-be member to help me but that would be a very hard situation.

EDITED TO ADD: You are in Oklahoma?? I will be going through there over my vacation/roadtrip! PM me because if there is anyway I can personally help you I absolutely will. <3

ZoeZ
December 21st, 2020, 09:06 AM
It might be a good idea to use diluted conditioner in a spray bottle for after the shower, to allow for easier combing or brushing when dry. Strands has some great suggestions, and good luck with a speedy recovery - I know how hard it is being single when these things happen - even the simplest tasks become a chore without an extra set of hands. :rolleyes:

lapushka
December 21st, 2020, 09:51 AM
EDITED TO ADD: You are in Oklahoma?? I will be going through there over my vacation/roadtrip! PM me because if there is anyway I can personally help you I absolutely will. <3

I don't know if that's even safe in these Covid times, or even allowed? But it's a nice offer, in any case. :flower:

Strands
December 21st, 2020, 10:09 AM
I don't know if that's even safe in these Covid times, or even allowed? But it's a nice offer, in any case. :flower:

Right. Because of COVID we should not help each other out at all. Logically this is poor reasoning, but spiritually it is just sin to excuse covid to not still put an effort to help others. If my shoulder was out, and ANYONE offered me help if they were close enough to do so and it was therefore not an inconvenience to them, I would jump on the opportunity myself.

I can imagine personal attacks that are passive and manipulative might follow this post, so to be clear - if my assistance is not wanted and I am judged harshly for not caring what the world thinks that is fine. But be known that regardless of VIRTUE SIGNALING - the greater good is helping each other when the need is high. Good luck finding anyone to come help you during this time, and God forbid it is someone for hair care with now 5 years of experience in the type of care she is likely looking for.

I do not want to be a problem, but I am going to update my signature to not respond to my posts in micro-aggressions that are against my faith. If she says she does not want my help that is fine. But regardless of being allowed or not - I do not believe you are the covid-cop and probably should leave to the citizens to make their own choices.

lapushka
December 21st, 2020, 10:29 AM
Right. Because of COVID we should not help each other out at all. Logically this is poor reasoning, but spiritually it is just sin to excuse covid to not still put an effort to help others. If my shoulder was out, and ANYONE offered me help if they were close enough to do so and it was therefore not an inconvenience to them, I would jump on the opportunity myself.

I can imagine personal attacks that are passive and manipulative might follow this post, so to be clear - if my assistance is not wanted and I am judged harshly for not caring what the world thinks that is fine. But be known that regardless of VIRTUE SIGNALING - the greater good is helping each other when the need is high. Good luck finding anyone to come help you during this time, and God forbid it is someone for hair care with now 5 years of experience in the type of care she is likely looking for.

I do not want to be a problem, but I am going to update my signature to not respond to my posts in micro-aggressions that are against my faith. If she says she does not want my help that is fine. But regardless of being allowed or not - I do not believe you are the covid-cop and probably should leave to the citizens to make their own choices.

I don't understand. How is this "micro-aggression"? :hmm: I don't get it, maybe that's just me. I don't know you and definitely the "rules" of the pandemic, and the ones several governments imposed is key and front and central to me. That's all I know.

Here in Belgium, the government would be your problem. :o Some things aren't allowed here apparently when they are all still allowed in the US.

You can invite 1 person to your house, but then that's it. No one else for Christmas.

Strands
December 21st, 2020, 10:32 AM
I don't understand. How is this "micro-aggression"? :hmm: I don't get it, maybe that's just me.

Here in Belgium, the government would be your problem. :o Some things aren't allowed here apparently when they are all still allowed in the US.

You can invite 1 person to your house, but then that's it. No one else for Christmas.

Thankfully my religion is the laws of God and not the laws of man. In the US, the govt would be a lot more tried to enforce such policies against freedom. I am sorry that is happening to you and hope you are freed soon.

I missed your question - here is the answer. Implying my offer for help is against the law is aggressively sticking your foot in an offer not offered to you.

lapushka
December 21st, 2020, 10:34 AM
Thankfully my religion is the laws of God and not the laws of man. In the US, the govt would be a lot more tried to enforce such policies against freedom. I am sorry that is happening to you and hope you are freed soon.

Errr...? :?: Now I *most certainly* don't get it. Sorry.

akurah
December 21st, 2020, 11:55 AM
So this might not hold well on 2a hair, but if you could get someone to cornrows or box braid your hair (you may need to hire an expert if one is available, look for salons that specializes in super curly hairs), I think it will help a lot. It would probably be easier to wash and also easier to prevent tangles. Because of your hair type it may not hold as long as it would on curly hair, but it may hold long enough until you are healed.

cat11
December 21st, 2020, 01:22 PM
You may be able to capture it for a ponytail using a large barrette or banana clip, putting it open in your palm and scooping the hair in with the tips of your fingers. I have managed it before but it might take practice. This sounds difficult, I'm sorry you don't have someone to help.

The other idea I had is carrying a wide tooth comb and combing every half hour to prevent tangles getting un manageable. Maybe you could put a headband on with one hand too to prevent it getting in your face.

Hairkay
December 21st, 2020, 02:49 PM
Good morning everyone,
It has been awhile since I posted. Last week, I broke my left shoulder. Entire left arm is now in a sling...
Trying to care for my hair with only my right hand is proving to be extremely difficult. Like, my hair is super pitiful looking. Lank, greasy and full of cowlicks. I have nobody to help me with my hair. I need advice a lot. With only 1 arm, I can not bun or braid. I am lost...
Thank you,
Nancy

I can relate having been in a similar situation in the beginning of this year. In the end I found a way to put on a hat and let the hair be. It took months and some DIY physio with phone guidance from a physiotherapist to be able to see to my head again

0xalis
December 21st, 2020, 11:17 PM

I think it was clear from the tone of lapushka's reply that she was not in any way attempting to offend you. I think she was just attempting to warn you about possible legal and/or health concerns.
I applaud your willingness to help, that is very kind of you, and frankly I would do the same thing in the same circumstances. Just do keep the pandemic in mind so you may stay safe and healthy!

I found this video on braiding with one hand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-aL7cVfUU
My only suggestion that haven’t already been mentioned is are there any protective hairstyles that can stay in for a week or more like several braids that you could get a hairstylist to do to help avoid tangles if you struggle detangling with one hand.

This is literally amazing! I knew a young man who was born with only one full arm, but he had half of his other arm which ended in a stub just past his elbow, and he was really good at videogames.
It's really cool to me to see how adaptable humans are. I've seen people with no arms at all do everything armed people can do with just their feet.
My disability is entirely different, but seeing fellow disabled/differently-abled/whathaveyou people adapt and overcome to their circumstances makes me so happy. We are extremely capable, just differently!

0xalis
December 21st, 2020, 11:24 PM
double post :doh:

lapushka
December 22nd, 2020, 02:43 AM
I think it was clear from the tone of lapushka's reply that she was not in any way attempting to offend you. I think she was just attempting to warn you about possible legal and/or health concerns.
I applaud your willingness to help, that is very kind of you, and frankly I would do the same thing in the same circumstances. Just do keep the pandemic in mind so you may stay safe and healthy!

This is *very* nice of you and I could not have said / explained it any better at all. Thank you for this, because it makes my intentions perfectly clear. There was absolutely nothing aggressive or mean spirited about my comment and I am sad that that is how it came across. I apologize if it did. :flower:

GordonMurphella
December 22nd, 2020, 02:49 AM
This is *very* nice of you and I could not have said / explained it any better at all. Thank you for this, because it makes my intentions perfectly clear. There was absolutely nothing aggressive or mean spirited about my comment and I am sad that that is how it came across. I apologize if it did. :flower:

We're apparently the devil, my friend. Disengaging from this entirely is probably best. At least for me.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2020, 04:13 AM
We're apparently the devil, my friend. Disengaging from this entirely is probably best. At least for me.

Will do! :) I'm glad I'm not the only demon out there. LOL! ;) We can have tea and crumpets over that. :p

ZoeZ
December 22nd, 2020, 04:14 AM

Agree. We do not have freedom from responsibility to society as a whole. I have always been terrified, not of Covid, but of spreading it to others as a result of any carelessness or being unknowingly asymptomatic.

eresh
December 22nd, 2020, 07:00 AM
Will do! :) I'm glad I'm not the only demon out there. LOL! ;) We can have tea and crumpets over that. :p

Totally offtopic, but OMG!!! CRUMPETS!!!
I miss those!! Ate them a lot when I lived in Oxford :D
Good times :D

And to add, I also did not see anything agressive or even micro-aggressive in your reply Lapushka.
Stranges times, makes everyones fuses a but shorter I guess.

I hope you can manage Nmgdolly! Those videos will hopefully help.
Maybe for the time being dry shampoo could help? So you don't have to strain yourself too often to wash your hair.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2020, 07:23 AM
Thank you eresh. Crumpets eh? :D :yumm:

enting
December 22nd, 2020, 07:43 AM
nmgdolly that sounds really painful. I saw a youtube video once with a woman using one hand and assisting with holding her head against a doorframe to ponytail her hair. I wonder if that might be useful for making buns? I don't know how long your hair is and quite how difficult it might be to deal with length one handed. I could see how longer lengths or much shorter lengths might still be really difficult to twist up even with the help of pressing against the wall or a doorframe. If hair length isn't beyond arm length I think it's possible to comb or brush with one hand. I comb with one hand sometimes if my other hand is holding something.

There's a sort of pencil bun where one can sort of scoop the hair around in a circular motion using a stick and then flip the direction the stick is facing and insert and it holds. I think that can be done one handedly. On me that sort of bun always created a lot of tangles though, so you'd have to decide if that's worth it if your hair behaves like mine with it.

Would wearing a buff or snood for now be something appealing or useful? That would help keep the hair contained or at least back without needing to do much with the hair itself. A larger snood I imagine could be pulled on with one hand, and if it's deep enough it could get close to automatically tucking everything in by pulling it far forward and then sliding it back to where it should sit.

I hope your shoulder heals quickly and well!

Strands
December 22nd, 2020, 08:42 AM
Agree. We do not have freedom from responsibility to society as a whole. I have always been terrified, not of Covid, but of spreading it to others as a result of any carelessness or being unknowingly asymptomatic.

Oh so you are passive aggressively calling me careless. That is really great. You must be full of good virtues. Really good people you are. This is why the country is falling apart because of people like you attacking people for disagreeing with your choices and not respecting their humanity to make their own choice.

And yes, my responsibility as a whole is NOT to the world. It is to the one and only God - Yahweh. He teaches us to never live our lives in fear and to help those in need. Wearing a mask is FRUITLESS against a virus - especially the cloth or paper ones that everyone is wearing. Stop kidding yourselves and virtue signaling to justify living in fear because you have a DIFFERENT OPINION that someone else.

If anything is certain, it is that there is no way that ANY of you trash talking me in passive ways is saved. I wonder though if you have the integrity to apologize to me for being nasty in a way that is tangible and not double speak. I doubt it.

SelenVinland
December 22nd, 2020, 09:14 AM
No one is trash talking you. Why are you being so aggressive?

ZoeZ
December 22nd, 2020, 10:44 AM
Hmm... why hide your response? I simply put my point of view on Covid forward. I truly do not want to be responsible for other's pain. I was not being 'passive aggressive'. And yes, I am full of good virtues. I am an atheist, I don't press my point of views to others, and I certainly don't think less of someone who is a theist, for any reason - I believe we all have the right to think for ourselves and come to our own conclusions about the world. I respect that.

And since you brought it up, yes, I do believe in proven science. Masks do help prevent the spread of disease. I have survived a cholera epidemic by following safety protocols, and I know exactly how efficaceous PPE is. I have had a good friend die of Covid at the beginning of this pandemic. If you don't believe they help, that is your prerogative. I will do everything it is in my power to do to prevent the spread of this disease. Wearing a mask is the very least and most minor thing I can do. I do the same when I have a cold or flu. You certainly have the right (in the US) not to wear a mask, but you should afford others the right to think otherwise as well and respect their space.

I'm sorry you think your country is falling apart just because I have a different opinion than you. You certainly have the right to live for your beliefs. But I don't want to die for your beliefs. And I'm sure it a comfort to you to know I am not 'saved'.

"Oh so you are passive aggressively calling me careless. That is really great. You must be full of good virtues. Really good people you are. This is why the country is falling apart because of people like you attacking people for disagreeing with your choices and not respecting their humanity to make their own choice.

And yes, my responsibility as a whole is NOT to the world. It is to the one and only God - Yahweh. He teaches us to never live our lives in fear and to help those in need. Wearing a mask is FRUITLESS against a virus - especially the cloth or paper ones that everyone is wearing. Stop kidding yourselves and virtue signaling to justify living in fear because you have a DIFFERENT OPINION that someone else.

If anything is certain, it is that there is no way that ANY of you trash talking me in passive ways is saved. I wonder though if you have the integrity to apologize to me for being nasty in a way that is tangible and not double speak. I doubt it."

Chromis
December 22nd, 2020, 11:14 AM
The grey text is from we moderators. Please do not respond to it. This way, people can see what was said for transparency, but also see that the mods have seen it and that there is no need to respond further. Unfortunately, that means we still need to dim any post that responded before we saw the problem one. No one will be in trouble for this unless their response breaks the rules or they respond *after* we have dimmed something. We do not expect you to be a mind-reader, but we do very strongly encourage people to report rather than respond in these cases.

As always, please remember our KNIT guidelines:

"I came for the hair care advice, but I stayed for the friends."

It has been said more than once that TLHC is one of the nicest sites on the 'net. That's because we have exceptional members who genuinely care about each other and terrific moderators who strive to make sure everyone has the best experience possible. The feeling created is very much like an extended family.

On occasion, however, a quarrel will occur, or a bit of snark will creep into people's messages, and this note is a gentle reminder that the best antidote for that is for everyone to monitor their own posts. Using the Report Button is a great help to the moderators by alerting us to problems, but prevention is a way that everyone can help maintain that warm community spirit. So, as we like to say, KNIT before you post.

Before you hit the "Submit" button, review what you're about to say.

Is it Kind?

Is it Necessary?

Is it Informative?

Is it True?

Read your words as if someone else were saying them to you. How would you receive them? Would you be offended, hurt or angry? If your post doesn't pass those tests, try again. If you simply can't compose something, let the thread go, and maybe try again later.

Every once in a while, there will be something that you cannot agree with. No one expects there to be a complete meeting of minds on every single topic discussed here. In those cases, we ask for tolerance - not acceptance, but tolerance. The other person is always worthy of respect. If you post, do not attack. Agree to disagree, and let your words be civil and even as kind as possible.

Thank you, everyone, for making this such a wonderful community.

Chromis
December 22nd, 2020, 11:22 AM
Now then! Back to helping our poor OP! I'm pretty sure there have been some similar posts and I am happy to merge them all so nmgdolly and others who find themselves in this position can find the previous advice too. I need to go tend to the critters, but please go ahead and report this post with any links if you see one before I can pop by again and my fellow mods will work their magic.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2020, 11:39 AM
nmgdolly, how's things currently? Have you managed a wash yet? Are hairdressers / barbers open where you are? I wonder about that. Things are so different right now, depending on where you are in the world. :)

squirrrel
December 22nd, 2020, 02:02 PM
Let me see... there’s this from the archives, though that won’t work for merging! https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-92073.html

Same for this one https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-124590.html

This doesn’t seem to be archived though: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43237

Those were the first ones I found from a quick search...

I wasn’t part of the forum when I broke my upper arm and resorted to chopping to pixie. What I can say is that washing wise the scalp is easy enough to sort, and you should be able to squeeze the suds down the length without too much bother. Drying it might be challenging, so squeezing out as much as possible is likely the best you can do. It really depends how much healing time you have had. I well remember recovering and how exhausted I was just having dressed! On top of this you will be able to do a little more independently without hurting your arm after the first few weeks: without much support it doesn’t take much for it to feel exposed and at risk of being hurt again.

That stage does pass before too long and you shall find you can let it do it’s thing as you take a shower and dry yourself etc. At that stage you will be able to experiment with what you can do a little more. Pulling your hair over your shoulder should help for brushing it, especially if you can turn your head so that you have a straight line from the neck down. Maybe you will be able to learn how to do a one handed twist, though that would depend on length: when it has healed some you could bend your sore arm at the elbow and use it to catch the end of your hair and pin it in place, when required. Some of these things might not be possible for you, it all depends how exactly the arm has been hurt and how the healing process goes. It has also been ten years since I was injured and I could have forgotten things (plus, I decided it was most practical to pixie at that point, if you want to stay long, then go for it, but if you think short hair would be better to manage at this time I wouldn’t shy away from that either: if hairdressers are open. Yes, it could delay your growing to your goal for longer than you would like, but hair does grow... ten years later I’m almost at TBL...).

cat11
December 22nd, 2020, 02:28 PM
I wonder how long OP's hair is? That could make a big difference as far as combing and styling suggestions go.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2020, 04:52 AM
There was an amputee (arm) I used to watch who came up with ways to do her hair in all sorts of creative ways. I'll look up the channel for you, and link some appropriate videos. I realize this may be TMI to some out there, so if amputation is too much for you, do not watch the following links!

Channel, Megan Absten!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmMzOOL_kHEszIvcW6bfizQ

How she ponytails with 1 arm!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7ISHn_G-g

Blowdrying hairbrush (maybe a good pointer), otherwise just airdry, then brush it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4miDNplCXA

ZoeZ
December 23rd, 2020, 08:34 AM
I wonder if my method would help: I wash my hair with it tied just around shoulder blades with a hair tie - then I can wash the scalp easily without tangling the rest of the hair too much - it stays aligned down the length. You could comb the tail below the tie one-handed, I think, especially with running water and conditioner? And then finger detangle when out of the shower.

I do wish I had some more helpful suggestions. Someone mentioned dry shampoo?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

bparnell75
December 23rd, 2020, 10:49 AM
There are hair clips on the market that you could use to make a low pony if you do not want to have it down. I think these could be done with one hand.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2020, 04:01 PM
There are hair clips on the market that you could use to make a low pony if you do not want to have it down. I think these could be done with one hand.

Actually, that's great advice, and I think a regular, bigger claw clip would maybe do the trick too?

nmgdolly
December 27th, 2020, 07:48 AM
Been ok washing with 1 hand in sink. Shampoo, then a leave in Conditioner. It takes forever...lol
Mainly having trouble now with styling. Thin, fine hair, mid-back length. Can't use my normal clippies or scrunchies or braid or bun. I can barely make a part down the center. Part comes out very messy. I usually put in a loose bun to sleep, both to keep hair out of my way when sleeping, but also because when bun is taken down in morning, hair has great volume. Since this shoulder thing, I have been sleeping with hair down and my hair looks awful and mistreated and stringy...

lapushka
December 27th, 2020, 08:00 AM
Been ok washing with 1 hand in sink. Shampoo, then a leave in Conditioner. It takes forever...lol
Mainly having trouble now with styling. Thin, fine hair, mid-back length. Can't use my normal clippies or scrunchies or braid or bun. I can barely make a part down the center. Part comes out very messy. I usually put in a loose bun to sleep, both to keep hair out of my way when sleeping, but also because when bun is taken down in morning, hair has great volume. Since this shoulder thing, I have been sleeping with hair down and my hair looks awful and mistreated and stringy...

Oh hon! :( I really feel for you.

How long do you have to go, still?

Maybe part it in 4 sections, just roughly with fingers, and move the 3 sections out of the way, and then slowly detangle them all, piece by piece. It will take some time, but I'm sure it can be done.

nmgdolly
December 27th, 2020, 08:10 AM
I think I have another 4 or 6 weeks to go. :(

lapushka
December 27th, 2020, 08:31 AM
I think I have another 4 or 6 weeks to go. :(

Oh man! :( It's gonna get better, though. The more you get used to doing things with one hand, the better you'll be at it.

Are hairdressers open where you are? If so, maybe let them wash and detangle a couple times?

nmgdolly
December 27th, 2020, 08:46 AM
No money for hair dressers. On furlough from work.

lapushka
December 27th, 2020, 08:59 AM
No money for hair dressers. On furlough from work.

I understand. :flower:

How often do you, normally, need to wash your hair? You can perhaps stretch it? I had to at one point. I can't get into it because you posted this on the public forum, but I have been in a position where I had no choice and needed to wash every 14 days instead of once a week and it wreaked havoc on my scalp.

squirrrel
December 27th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Can you brush your hair back, no need to part it then, and pull it round over one shoulder. You could brush the length then, and potentially learn to clip it in a side ponytail there?

Hairkay
December 27th, 2020, 11:15 AM

I can relate I also found that two hands are necessary for using clips and scrunchies. One hand to hold the hair in place and the other to secure it with scrunchie or clip. I did come across the one handed tricks with the amputee but she can use her full flexibility because she's not stuck with a painful limb secured in cast or sling. The sink rinses were all I could do too and it does take long especially when you have to be careful of your movements.

squirrrel
December 27th, 2020, 03:28 PM
I can relate I also found that two hands are necessary for using clips and scrunchies. One hand to hold the hair in place and the other to secure it with scrunchie or clip. I did come across the one handed tricks with the amputee but she can use her full flexibility because she's not stuck with a painful limb secured in cast or sling. The sink rinses were I all I could do too and it does take long especially when you have to be careful of your movements.

What surprised me the most when I had an upper arm injury, ten years ago now (the hospital decided that the shoulder specialist was the most appropriate to care for it), was that this was a broken bone they didn’t protect in any way. No cast, no sling, no supporting bandages to hold it all in place, not at that point at least.

I think that it could be possible to bend the injured arm so that the hand is resting on the opposite shoulder and use that to hold the hair down so it can be clipped into place? If done while propped up on pillows then the injured area shouldn’t be jostled too much by it all.

I would also remember that the arm will be healing all the time, so what is painful this week might be easier next week and when physio kicks in you shall be able to build your muscles up to being stronger l. One step at a time and see how you go.

Hairkay
December 27th, 2020, 04:34 PM
It's true that not all injuries require a cast but it will still be painful to move. It takes months and physio to help. The first time I managed to twist a portion of my hair post injury was because I sat and bent double so my head was close to my lap. I couldn't lift my arm very much. Due to lockdown I had no access to physiotherapy for a while which caused other problems. Lots of places have slowed down how they provide it. What she can do depends on what access she has.

lunalocks
December 28th, 2020, 02:50 PM
WOW. So much more drama than a broken shoulder.

A few years back I had rotator cuff surgery on my dominant side (right). I did just about go crazy (hair was TB at that time.) Trying to get it up and out of the way by myself was impossible. DH tried and at least he could put it in a pony tail but often was not around when the pony loosened.

After 2 weeks or so I had permission from the surgeon to rest my elbow on a table for support and raise my forearm and hand up to my head while bending my head to my hand and that way I could use 2 hands to bun my hair. Washing and combing I could do with one hand.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Heal well.

My best friend broke her arm close to the shoulder about a month ago and is having some of the same self care issues as she lives alone, tho she has short hair, but there are so many other things she can't do. I wish I could help her, but can't because both of us are, uh, not visiting anyone right now.