PDA

View Full Version : Help! Going on a long trip!

Strands
December 20th, 2020, 12:48 PM
Hey! So my husband is taking the family on a trip! We leave Thursday, what would you take with you on a 10 DAY trip that would include swimming and winter weather? How would you handle this? Cotton pillow cases? Chlorine? Drying cold weather? OH MY! shudder:

I am considering what to bring, but what would YOU take? Would love to see your ultimate and minimal packing lists!

Lucy McLucyFace
December 20th, 2020, 02:33 PM
I'm not a travel appreciator but I'll give one pretty obvious tip: don't put coconut oil on your list for a cold winter vacation :eek:

Mariekeeee14
December 20th, 2020, 03:00 PM
Take your satin/silk pillowcase (or even better, your whole pillow) with you!

I would take a good sulphate shampoo, a conditioner that works at every dew point and you can cowash with, a leave in, and an oil. Furthermore a brush and/or comb and scrunchies and various hair toys.

KokoroDragon
December 20th, 2020, 03:22 PM
I've heard of people adding vitamin c powder to their shampoo after they swim to get rid of chlorine in the hair. I've only swam in fresh water the past few years, so I'm not too familiar with chlorine struggles myself, but I found heavily oiling my hair (and braiding) before swimming is a lifesaver. The oil will probably help against the dry air as well.

bparnell75
December 20th, 2020, 06:20 PM
Delighted that you are going to get to go on a vacation. I would take things that can be layered. A raincoat and as few hair products as I could get by with. Focus on enjoying this long deserved time with the family... I would take hair toys that could accommodate wet and dry hair. How about your new Ficcares. With the kids you will have lots of luggage. Have lots of fun with your family

Strands
December 20th, 2020, 06:55 PM
I'm not a travel appreciator but I'll give one pretty obvious tip: don't put coconut oil on your list for a cold winter vacation :eek:

Oh my goodness indeed. I had a short chuckle and then a shudder thinking about hardened coconut oil sitting in my buns half the trip. YUCK

Strands
December 20th, 2020, 06:59 PM
Take your satin/silk pillowcase (or even better, your whole pillow) with you!

I would take a good sulphate shampoo, a conditioner that works at every dew point and you can cowash with, a leave in, and an oil. Furthermore a brush and/or comb and scrunchies and various hair toys.

Aha yes I think I will take my pillowcase, the only ~issue~ is that we are staying in a different hotel every night. I am considering making a silk hair covering from my not-so-nice silk pillowcase to use. Hmmm.

My nice silk case is mulberry silk, the others are like lab silk or something. They are still very nice pillows but the mulberry is just :thud:

So the mulberry stays home, will look at head covering patterns this week to create one.

I have decided on conditioner to take my herbal essences botanical aloe and hemp blend. One choice down. lol

Strands
December 20th, 2020, 07:01 PM
I've heard of people adding vitamin c powder to their shampoo after they swim to get rid of chlorine in the hair. I've only swam in fresh water the past few years, so I'm not too familiar with chlorine struggles myself, but I found heavily oiling my hair (and braiding) before swimming is a lifesaver. The oil will probably help against the dry air as well.

Aha yes - I have heard of people using LOTION in their hair which is a bit YIKES for me, but still better than nothing to coat the hair before taking a jump in. I am probably limiting myself to only swimming if the pool is irresistible, otherwise just using the hot tub. LOL I will take your advice though and coat/braid before a swim.

Strands
December 20th, 2020, 07:07 PM
Delighted that you are going to get to go on a vacation. I would take things that can be layered. A raincoat and as few hair products as I could get by with. Focus on enjoying this long deserved time with the family... I would take hair toys that could accommodate wet and dry hair. How about your new Ficcares. With the kids you will have lots of luggage. Have lots of fun with your family

Thanks! We are excited as well, as it has been a VERY VERY long time since we have taken a vacation of any kind. Granted living in San Diego is a living vacation in most ways. LOL But in Iowa a vacation becomes a long anticipated need.

OH a raincoat! Yes. I need to look at finding a good hat that can be both warm and waterproof so that I can keep my hair just covered outdoors. Between my sunglasses and mask no one will know who I am to make fun of anyway so I really don't care what anyone thinks if I add a hat to my bank-robber look. XD

I will take some plastic hair toys I think that I don't have to worry about too much, and perhaps my deer antler fork since it is waterproof. My only hesitation with taking my ficcare is if I lost it. I will be hotel hopping like a cold footed freak, so I want to be minimal and careful that if I lose something it is not irreplaceable, and my ficcares as of now are pretty much my LOVES. Maybe I will take one. Just a clip. Like the small brick one. It is bright so if I had it on a counter I would see it. Hmmmm.

Oh trust me we are packing fairly light for this trip. We are hoping ONE suitcase for the 5 of us, as our hotel rooms all but one have a washer/dryer in the room itself. We got suites at resorts mostly, spending Christmas Eve at the Ritz Carlton!!! :toast:

JasminxCat
December 20th, 2020, 09:42 PM
I would bring my own pillows with my silk pillowcases, a clarifying or sulfate shampoo to cleanse any left over chlorine if it might help, a deep conditioner, and I would braid my hair in olive oil or put it up in a bun. Olive oil is a life safer for cold weather

Have a safe and fun trip :)

GordonMurphella
December 21st, 2020, 05:11 AM
No real input but please please please be safe. It's not a great time to be traveling in the States.

Nini
December 21st, 2020, 05:23 AM
Hairwise I'd bring my combs, a Ficcare Max and probably my shampoo. Otherwise clothes as needed and a book or three.

It's ten days. Don't stress :)

If you're very worried about your hair in the pool you could try finding a swimming cap. Not the best looking thing in the world, but I'm sure there'll be others wearing them. I stay at a spa hotel once every year for a few days where free access to the pool is included. I just braid my hair and wet it thoroughly before going in. I can't find it affects my hair at all just from a few days.

lapushka
December 21st, 2020, 06:02 AM
No real input but please please please be safe. It's not a great time to be traveling in the States.

It is a difficult time, sure, but I'm sure Strands will take great precautions and will stay safe. I'm sure we all hope that. :flower:

Strands
December 21st, 2020, 08:27 AM

I mean between the pandemic and borderline civil war I figure it is what it is. I would rather live my life in faith than live in fear. If I die of covid, it is only the event of an inevitable ending anyway... I am going to enjoy living.

It is a difficult time, sure, but I'm sure Strands will take great precautions and will stay safe. I'm sure we all hope that. :flower:

I am not a reckless person but please know that I don't live in fear. :blossom:

GordonMurphella
December 21st, 2020, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Strands;3842031]I mean between the pandemic and borderline civil war I figure it is what it is. I would rather live my life in faith than live in fear. If I die of covid, it is only the event of an inevitable ending anyway... I am going to enjoy living.

My post was meant in kindness. Apparently I should think three times or more before posting. Sorry I cared, but on further investigation, you think we're all .. something you don't care for.