PDA

View Full Version : Best hair brush please recommend.

Strands
December 17th, 2020, 02:06 PM
I want a wood hair brush with no KNOBS on the ends, preferably a medium-large paddle brush. Price is NOT an issue. I am willing to spend a lot for a great brush this time around.

I have looked at TEK, which runs about 70 USD, but what do you guys think is the BEST?

Please include a link!! :D

Nini
December 17th, 2020, 03:14 PM
I swear by my Madora wide tooth comb, the #115 I think. Haven't owned a brush in ten years plus and I've never looked back :) Something to consider.

knobbly
December 17th, 2020, 08:36 PM
I was planning on getting a Tek once my current $20. Amazon wooden brush dies. I’ve already popped a pin out and many others are very wonky, so I’m thinking it has another year or so to go.

I heard about Tek from OrganicallyAnna on YouTube and she has videos where she reviews them if you haven’t seen them in action.

Expensive or not, I’m realizing lately that larger brushes aren’t better for my hands or hair, and that even though my fine hair is dense, I’d rather have a smaller brush (maybe 4-5 rows across?) than a big paddle brush. Hopefully this means it won’t be too hard on my wallet when it’s time.

RebekahE
December 18th, 2020, 04:18 AM
This one fits the bill and has good reviews. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07S2181W7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_r-i3FbFZKC5MQ
I have a wooden paddle brush that also has boar bristles in it and I like it for smoothing my hair out. I use it if I'm going to wear my hair down so that it's sleek and shiny. I also have a wooden comb and I love it! It's my everyday go to detangling tool.

lapushka
December 18th, 2020, 06:41 AM
I want a wood hair brush with no KNOBS on the ends, preferably a medium-large paddle brush. Price is NOT an issue. I am willing to spend a lot for a great brush this time around.

I have looked at TEK, which runs about 70 USD, but what do you guys think is the BEST?

Please include a link!! :D

The Body Shop used to do a pretty good wooden one (still have mine). They "used to" not have knobs on the ends, but they changed the design, otherwise that would have been quite a good find. Mine is over 10 years old and still nice. I don't use it at all anymore, but I keep it in case I ever get tired of my current one (wet brush dupe, which to me is even better).

I would go with either TEK or Widu. Kent maybe, but TEK / Widu might be the better options!

cat11
December 18th, 2020, 09:19 AM
If money isn't an option, there is always this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Tsuge-Boxwood-Brush-3Lines-Chidoriya/dp/B00FSKSQ9E/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=chidoriya+brush&qid=1608308224&s=beauty&sr=1-3

I honestly want to try it but I really never use brushes so I cant justify it yet. But I have had similar boxwood combs I loved.

This one is plastic, but its one of the only true no nub, no pad brushes Ive found. Straight bristles. It works great when I do want to use a brush. Its easy to clean too since there are no nubs you can slide the lint right off each bristle.

https://www.amazon.com/Janeke-Superbrush-Detangler-Anti-static-Hairbrush/dp/B081K6K8L7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2JYXDRVPZVVM0&dchild=1&keywords=janeke+superbrush&qid=1608308292&s=beauty&sprefix=janeke%2Cbeauty%2C150&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQVE0VElYUlFBMkpLJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjE0MDMwMzNWUFJFVzFXRldLRSZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDEzMjMxMTAwVkdDMkhQMEJYWCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

mary_whitney
December 18th, 2020, 10:02 AM
This one fits the bill and has good reviews. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07S2181W7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_r-i3FbFZKC5MQ
I have a wooden paddle brush that also has boar bristles in it and I like it for smoothing my hair out. I use it if I'm going to wear my hair down so that it's sleek and shiny. I also have a wooden comb and I love it! It's my everyday go to detangling tool.

I've had this brush for about a year and it's lasted well. I recently started using this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YYJP92Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which looks like a knockoff Tek to me. I like the smaller brush a little more because it forces me to brush smaller sections at a time... that's mostly a me-problem though not a brush problem :)

Sunseed
December 18th, 2020, 02:45 PM
I recently bought a wooden brush, but the knobs on it are very problematic for me. They constantly catch and pull my hair. I think I need one of these knobless brushes that are being linked in this thread. Do you find the expensive brush to be worth it? I would spend that much if it really helped. Are the knobless wooden brushes better than boar bristle, or used for different purposes?

1990bzb
December 18th, 2020, 03:37 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Tsuge-Boxwood-Brush-3Lines-Chidoriya/dp/B00FSKSQ9E/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=chidoriya+brush&qid=1608308224&s=beauty&sr=1-3

I honestly want to try it but I really never use brushes so I cant justify it yet. But I have had similar boxwood combs I loved.

This one is plastic, but its one of the only true no nub, no pad brushes Ive found. Straight bristles. It works great when I do want to use a brush. Its easy to clean too since there are no nubs you can slide the lint right off each bristle.

https://www.amazon.com/Janeke-Superbrush-Detangler-Anti-static-Hairbrush/dp/B081K6K8L7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2JYXDRVPZVVM0&dchild=1&keywords=janeke+superbrush&qid=1608308292&s=beauty&sprefix=janeke%2Cbeauty%2C150&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQVE0VElYUlFBMkpLJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjE0MDMwMzNWUFJFVzFXRldLRSZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDEzMjMxMTAwVkdDMkhQMEJYWCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

i used to want that till I realized I brush my hair with camellia oil anyway
and just changed to putting the camellia oil ON my brush or comb or finger (for finger-combing) instead of on the hair so it would spread out better.

1990bzb
December 18th, 2020, 03:38 PM
i used to want that till I realized I brush my hair with camellia oil anyway
and just changed to putting the camellia oil ON my brush or comb or finger (for finger-combing) instead of on the hair so it would spread out better.

sorry i cannot find a way tlo edit, maybe as a newbie i do not have the privilege, but i misread and assumed this was the japanese wooden comb that
they say has camellia oil INFUSED INTO THE WOOD. thus my response.

knobbly
December 18th, 2020, 04:55 PM
I recently bought a wooden brush, but the knobs on it are very problematic for me. They constantly catch and pull my hair. I think I need one of these knobless brushes that are being linked in this thread. Do you find the expensive brush to be worth it? I would spend that much if it really helped. Are the knobless wooden brushes better than boar bristle, or used for different purposes?

I use both a wooden brush and a bbb. They are super different imo. I use the wooden brush for regular daily use and the bbb only for scalp care in between wash days.

Strands
December 18th, 2020, 07:33 PM
I swear by my Madora wide tooth comb, the #115 I think. Haven't owned a brush in ten years plus and I've never looked back :) Something to consider.

I have a bamboo comb, but with my type of hair I really need a paddle. Thank you for the recommendation though as I do find the comb is best on my son, he has decided he wants a longer boys style just last September and has joined us in growing out hair LOL :hifive:

Strands
December 18th, 2020, 07:38 PM
I was planning on getting a Tek once my current $20. Amazon wooden brush dies. I’ve already popped a pin out and many others are very wonky, so I’m thinking it has another year or so to go.

I heard about Tek from OrganicallyAnna on YouTube and she has videos where she reviews them if you haven’t seen them in action.

Expensive or not, I’m realizing lately that larger brushes aren’t better for my hands or hair, and that even though my fine hair is dense, I’d rather have a smaller brush (maybe 4-5 rows across?) than a big paddle brush. Hopefully this means it won’t be too hard on my wallet when it’s time.

Just a heads up - I have had now several wooden brushes with wooden pins. My experience is typically thus -- once a couple pins BREAK or the pad starts to stretch to a point from over use and thus more and more fall out, its already time to order. I am at that point now I am sad to say. I have never had a wood brush last me more than 2 years.

Bass has sadly dropped quality, but used to make a large paddle brush in all wood with a laquered coating on the brush and 6 screws in the back and handle. I could identify it specifically in a cop line up if I had to I LOVED that brush. They have changed their "design" aka dropped quality for profit since and now the new ones of the same style are just TRASH in comparison. I called them out on it and they refused to address my issues. Typical honestly.

I have fairly thick HAIRS so for me, the size helps. I LOVE a big paddle brush at my current length, I am between waist and hip. I might change my mind when I am hitting longer stretches in sections and my arm gets tired though! :pinktongue:

Strands
December 18th, 2020, 07:46 PM

Merp. I have a boar and a boar nylon, both are great for smoothing. Got the comb. But I have had enough brushes at this point that I am ready to pay heavily for a luxury experience in brushing.

Strands
December 18th, 2020, 07:56 PM

Oh my gosh 102 dollars for 3 lines? LOL I would be in the bathroom brushing ALL DAY! XD Looks interesting, I have never had a brush without a paddle. Hmmmm.

As the plastic, My hair is hissing like a cat at it's travel carrier on neutering day. Just a nopeeeeeeee lol

Strands
December 18th, 2020, 07:59 PM

I can say with clear conviction that the knobs on a brush -- any brush -- are the absolute devil. I FIRMLY believe they are meant to rip knots caught in hair causing splits in my opinion to send you faster to the hair dresser as your hair looks like crap faster.

YES. It is completely and utterly worth it to THROW THAT DEVIL BRUSH off the highest mountain, into the deepest pit to burn into oblivion forever until the return of Christ. Seriously. (Or just throw it away and finger comb until a new one arrives, and meanwhile do some dusting and tell your hair you are so sos os sosososo sorry. lol)

GET ONE!!!!!

Strands
December 18th, 2020, 08:00 PM
sorry i cannot find a way tlo edit, maybe as a newbie i do not have the privilege, but i misread and assumed this was the japanese wooden comb that
they say has camellia oil INFUSED INTO THE WOOD. thus my response.

hmmmm. Tell more about the mystical oils I have never discovered...

Strands
December 18th, 2020, 08:01 PM
I use both a wooden brush and a bbb. They are super different imo. I use the wooden brush for regular daily use and the bbb only for scalp care in between wash days.

Help me, what is a BBB? I am not figuring this out at 9pm.

Strands
December 18th, 2020, 08:06 PM
https://www.tekitalyus.com/big-oval-brush-pink-lacquered

Okay so I am DEEPLY considering this one because I LOVE the pink omg. I also love the white one. The red and blue aren't for me I don't think. Will see what else I find, please keep responding because I am keeping my eye on this thread, hoping to order before EOY.

squirrrel
December 19th, 2020, 01:14 AM
Help me, what is a BBB? I am not figuring this out at 9pm.

BBB = boar bristle brush.

ioanaxena
December 19th, 2020, 05:39 AM
I really like the Wet Brush. It doesn't tug the hair and it's so nice to use even on dry hair. What I don't like about it is that it's very hard to clean (the lint attaches to it right away).

Sunseed
December 19th, 2020, 11:27 AM
Oh my. This pink Tek brush is beautiful. I might have to order one too. My recent purchase of the knobbed wooden brush was a fail. As was said above, I need to throw this devil brush off a high mountain, or at least into the trash. Thankfully, I only paid $11 for it and have learned my lesson about brushes with knobs. Why would anyone manufacture these? Anyway, I really want this knobless Tek brush.

Deborah
December 19th, 2020, 11:43 AM
I have a WIDU wooden bristle, no knobs brush that I absolutely LOVE. I like it so much that I bought a back up when WIDU was having a sale. They are the best brushes ever in my opinion. I have many brushes discussed here, but this is my favorite by far. I heard that WIDU and TEK are the same company, but I'm not sure if that is true.

Feral_
December 19th, 2020, 01:01 PM
I’ve a German BBB from Lidl which I use for scalp care & sebum distribution.

Also use a Head Jog - absolutely awesome ‘wet brush’ but I use it on dry hair. So gentle and there’s hardly any loose hairs in it after using. Although it has nubs on the end of the bristles, they are tiny so don’t catch the hair and it has a flexible base so won’t rip through tangles. I can’t believe more folk on here aren’t using them!

Strands
December 20th, 2020, 12:51 PM
BBB = boar bristle brush.

OH! YES. I love boar brushes. I have two; One that is pure boar on wood, and the other a boar/nylon lacquered before bass went to hell. lolllll To each their own, but Bass has just totally fallen apart on quality since ~2018. So disappointing.

deeisme
December 20th, 2020, 07:01 PM
I have numerous brushes.
- wooden pin brush by Bürstenhaus Redecker (olive wood)
- various Wet Brushes
- Tangle Teaser
- Denman D81 boar bristle/nylon and a D3 classic 7 row

My favorite is the Wet Brush Speed Dry. I use it on wet or dry hair. If I really want some good scalp stimulation then I use my wooden pin brush. My hair is quite fragile and I have to be careful. I also have a Madora comb that I LOVE, but the tool that gets the most use is my Wet Brush Speed Dry.

Wendyp
December 20th, 2020, 07:11 PM
I have found that tangle teaser or more often now only a wide tooth comb is all I can use without damage.

Strands
Oh my. This pink Tek brush is beautiful. I might have to order one too. My recent purchase of the knobbed wooden brush was a fail. As was said above, I need to throw this devil brush off a high mountain, or at least into the trash. Thankfully, I only paid $11 for it and have learned my lesson about brushes with knobs. Why would anyone manufacture these? Anyway, I really want this knobless Tek brush.

HEY WAIT! Don't toss it yet! Did you know that SOMETIMES you can pull the rubber out of the paddle? IF you can do that, it is super easy to remove the pins, and CLIP and SAND the tips of the bristles, re-pop them in, put the rubber back in the paddle, and BOOM. Perfect brush. I have done this to a small brush for my toddler and she LOVES it :)

But if you cannot - KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Strands
I have found that tangle teaser or more often now only a wide tooth comb is all I can use without damage.

OH MY GOODNESS! Why is that?? You strike my curiosity!

Strands
December 20th, 2020, 07:15 PM
I have numerous brushes.
- wooden pin brush by Bürstenhaus Redecker (olive wood)
- various Wet Brushes
- Tangle Teaser

My favorite is the Wet Brush Speed Dry. I use it on wet or dry hair. If I really want some good scalp stimulation then I use my wooden pin brush. My hair is quite fragile and I have to be careful. I also have a Madora comb that I LOVE, but the tool that gets the most use is my Wet Brush Speed Dry.

OKAY. LISTEN. Bürstenhaus Redecker makes a HEDGEHOG SHAPED BRUSH. THIS NEEDS TO BECOME A TREND BY ALL MANUFACTURERS. OML.

https://www.amazon.com/Redecker-Beechwood-Hedgehog-Shaped-Hairbrush-8-Inches/dp/B01M8IFVYL?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Strands
December 20th, 2020, 07:21 PM

An update for all interested::

2020 is a dumpster fire, so I will start by saying that. So I was viewing the Nipoo brush mentioned waaaay early in this thread, quoted above, and I must have accidentally added it to cart, because my husband placed our order for other things we need to get before our trip, and BOOM. It is here.

SIGH. So now I am stuck in a conundrum. I figure I will use this brush because I NEED one and here it is. Thanks 2020. LOL

In all seriousness, it is actually a NICER brush than the current production quality of Bass products, and the little wide tooth comb it comes with is nice. They also include a dust cover and EXTRA pins (2) in case any break. Can you imagine the intellectual ability to just INCLUDE them with the brush?! Because Bass basically told me my breaking pins were irrelevant to its quality. :angry:

So here we are. I DO plan on getting my TEK but now that I got this brush, I will wait until after my trip. Again, Thank you 2020. You are just great. :horse:

Strands
December 20th, 2020, 07:23 PM
I have a WIDU wooden bristle, no knobs brush that I absolutely LOVE. I like it so much that I bought a back up when WIDU was having a sale. They are the best brushes ever in my opinion. I have many brushes discussed here, but this is my favorite by far. I heard that WIDU and TEK are the same company, but I'm not sure if that is true.

I have seen on MULTIPLE reviews as I was shopping that they are the same company. If they are not, they sure are not speaking up about it. lol

Alila
December 20th, 2020, 08:06 PM
I have a TEK brush with the long bristles and I really love it.

Wendyp
December 20th, 2020, 08:16 PM
OH MY GOODNESS! Why is that?? You strike my curiosity!
Anything else just breaks my hair I find. Idk if it's the way I brush, my hair type or what it is. I love the idea of natural bristles and I have tried numerous times, but my hair seems drier and it thins the ends. :hmm:

deeisme
December 20th, 2020, 08:31 PM
OKAY. LISTEN. Bürstenhaus Redecker makes a HEDGEHOG SHAPED BRUSH. THIS NEEDS TO BECOME A TREND BY ALL MANUFACTURERS. OML.

https://www.amazon.com/Redecker-Beechwood-Hedgehog-Shaped-Hairbrush-8-Inches/dp/B01M8IFVYL?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Yes! Isn’t it the cutest?!