PDA

View Full Version : When detangling wet hair with conditioner, do you?

Dragon
December 16th, 2020, 03:51 AM
When detangling wet hair with conditioner, do you prefer to turn off the water or detangler under running water? If you detangling under running water do you find the conditioner washes out before you get all the tangles out?

ioanaxena
December 16th, 2020, 05:37 AM
If I'd let the water run through my hair, it would wash out the conditioner. So I always turn off the water, put on conditioner, finger detangle and let it sit for a minute or two, and then I turn on the water to wash everything out :).

RebekahE
December 16th, 2020, 06:15 AM
I just step away from the water stream and turn so it isn't shooting on my hair, finger detangle, and then step back under to rinse the conditioner out.

lapushka
December 16th, 2020, 07:15 AM
I tried detangling wet, just soaked, handheld shower down, saturated, not wrung out. A nightmare. More tangly than ever, for me. That is why I just wring my hair out (squeegee the water out) after the wash, put it in a microfiber towel for 30 odd minutes and then brush it out carefully with a wet brush. Works like a charm. That wet brush (or any dupe you can get) is key though! A wide tooth comb doesn't compare (that always hurt unless I used a very good conditioner).

cat11
December 16th, 2020, 07:25 AM
I don't do this all the time, but when I do I put the conditioner in, let it sit, then put my head under the water just for a second or two so it runs down. The extra water provides more slip to detangle. I detangle for a little and then dip my head under the water for another second to get more. Having some water in there rather than letting the hair clump together makes a big difference for me.

ZoeZ
December 16th, 2020, 07:54 AM
I do it under running water, but I don't put my full head under the shower, just the portion I'm combing out. I also tie my hair together between my shoulder blades before washing (I do this when it's dry) and then shampoo with the tie in - it stops the tangling around my head. Conditioner goes on the tail. Then I shampoo the scalp, condition again, comb out the tail, remove the tie, and comb out under the stream. I lose a lot less hair that way and it's far easier to detangle. I have fine hair around 27" long.

lapushka
December 16th, 2020, 08:46 AM
I have to say, even though my texture is terrible for it, I pre-detangle before shampooing. 1/saves your drain 2/easier, much much much easier to wash and later detangle properly. Since LHC'ers don't "bunch up" the hair when washing, it makes sense to pre-detangle. And I have a much easier detangling process after the wash, I must say. :)

Bri-Chan
December 16th, 2020, 02:00 PM
I turn off the water. The water would wash away the conditioner for sure.

rhosyn_du
December 16th, 2020, 03:06 PM
If I'm detangling with conditioner, I do it out of the water after letting the conditioner sit on my hair for 5-10 minutes. If I'm detangling wet without conditioner (which I do before cassia treatments), then I do it with water running through my hair, since the running water adds a bit of slip.

MusicalSpoons
December 16th, 2020, 08:15 PM
Running water for short bursts as needed, just like cat11 and ZoeZ describe. However I've usually thoroughly detangled before washing anyway, and I'm careful with my pre-wash conditioner not to cause any unnecessary tangles, so it's usually quite straightforward and the water is mostly only needed for the neck-shoulder part, where the hairs dislodged by shampooing have gathered. If it's taking longer than usual I will put the ends into a jug or empty product tub, so the conditioner rinsed off goes in t there and still benefits my ends.

Also, unless it's during an actual heatwave, I get too cold to sit in the shower with the water turned off! Plus it takes me long enough to recover from a shower as it is, without getting cold and making myself more ill.

lapis_lazuli
December 16th, 2020, 08:55 PM
I also detangle out of the water; all the conditioner would wash out before I'm through. But if I hit a snag, running some water over it helps.

Lucy McLucyFace
December 17th, 2020, 03:21 AM
I used to run water through it years back but I realized that was a huge waste of water and it didn't take any less time. So I just taught myself to apply conditioner in such a way that the hair is mostly aligned so it doesn't need water to realign it while detangling. And to answer the second question, it did rinse off the conditioner sure but if it's a silicone conditioner it still leaves the hair slippery so it's not really a problem. And I did this while holding the shower head so it only rinsed off in the few bits of hair I would point it at

Lucy McLucyFace
December 17th, 2020, 03:25 AM
I should probably point out that when I did this I had hair between APL and BSL. Can't imagine detangling with one hand and holding the shower head with the other whilst having calf length hair like lapis_lazuli above my post :pinktongue:

MusicalSpoons
December 17th, 2020, 08:04 AM
I should probably point out that when I did this I had hair between APL and BSL. Can't imagine detangling with one hand and holding the shower head with the other whilst having calf length hair like lapis_lazuli above my post :pinktongue:

For me it's actually quite easy having so much control over the hair and where the water goes. I can't imagine trying to detangle much shorter hair with a lot less control over where it falls and where the water goes! ;) :lol: (But I am only a middling ii, so a fair amount less hair than a iii.)

knobbly
December 17th, 2020, 08:51 PM
I used to finger detangle with conditioner prior to rinsing until about waist length, but then I couldn’t anymore, I just got breakage. I’ve switched to detangling after my shower like lapushka does, only I use a Tangle Teezer.

I do run my fingers gently through my hair whilst rinsing out my conditioner though. It’s not the same as wet detangling but it is pretty close honestly.

JasminxCat
December 17th, 2020, 11:33 PM
I detangle stubborn knots as gently as I can with my fingers, brush the rest from my length then up to my roots before I wash and condition. Usually run my fingers through with conditioner, sometimes use a brush

lapis_lazuli
December 17th, 2020, 11:46 PM

Thankfully my shower head attaches to the wall so I can handle my hair with both hands, otherwise I'd struggle (and not be able to reach the ends!)

lapushka
December 19th, 2020, 11:43 AM
I used to finger detangle with conditioner prior to rinsing until about waist length, but then I couldn’t anymore, I just got breakage. I’ve switched to detangling after my shower like lapushka does, only I use a Tangle Teezer.

I do run my fingers gently through my hair whilst rinsing out my conditioner though. It’s not the same as wet detangling but it is pretty close honestly.

I do finger detangle (separate strands (in 2 and in 2 again) and run my hands over it) when my conditioner gets washed out, I ease the hair out with the water that then flows over it, so plenty and plenty of water. I do that too, which I totally forgot about. Not all of the time, though, but recently, yes, more and more.

But the real detangling, like "properly" with a brush, that's after my hair comes out the towel!

Dragon
December 20th, 2020, 08:46 AM
Thanks for your replies and tips everyone

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 20th, 2020, 01:58 PM
I am curly therefore I have to separate my clumps under running water. Detangling if I have to do it is best done on damp hair.

poli
December 24th, 2020, 12:47 AM
Under running water because I need to rinse out very well anyways. I usually works, but if it doesn't I would add some more conditioner or Shea moisture detangler (wonder product) :crush: