PDA

View Full Version : help! My hair is about 3 inches close to BSL, but it does not look good down

Firebrand
December 13th, 2020, 11:23 PM
I have almost bsl length hair and cut 2 inches off becuase the ends were really thin from over layering. Stylist last cut my hair badly in January so I have been working all year growing out layers. Also growing out pesky bangs. Thing is, my hair looks like a box, I want to resist cutting layers back in and just let it grow. But It really looks awful down. It looks so short to me. Anyone experience this? So it's up in a bun, and I want to keep it there until it grows 2 to 3 inches. It's hard though, cause I feel I look kinda funny with it up. I don't have the nicest neck either, so sometimes I wear a scarf and sometimes I don't care. Anyone here have that problem? I am 57, and I still love long hair. I think my hair will start looking better once it gets longer. Any thoughts? thank you!

JasminxCat
December 14th, 2020, 12:06 AM
Yes I know what you mean. I was in that awkward hair phase too a bunch of times. It would always flip outwards at the ends because of the layers and I hated it

I was actually looking at this the other day. Hair extension scrunchies, there's a variety of different styles. Weird but if you don't have enough hair to look decent in a bun then you might like it. I'm considering buying one
Here's one I was looking at

https://www.amazon.com/HMD-Extension-Extensions-Hairpiece-Scrunchies/dp/B07ZGFV66R

ExpectoPatronum
December 14th, 2020, 12:14 AM
I know what you mean. I felt my hair didn't look great between APL to around MBL. My hair is waist (stretched) now and it lays much more nicely.

Definitely continue to wear your hair up! That got me through the awkward stage, though I favored less protective styles so now my ends aren't so nice looking. Could you do braids? You might like how those look on your face more. You'll also get used to seeing yourself with your hair up the more you wear it that way too :flower:

Firebrand
December 14th, 2020, 12:37 AM
Yes I know what you mean. I was in that awkward hair phase too a bunch of times. It would always flip outwards at the ends because of the layers and I hated it

I was actually looking at this the other day. Hair extension scrunchies, there's a variety of different styles. Weird but if you don't have enough hair to look decent in a bun then you might like it. I'm considering buying one
Here's one I was looking at

https://www.amazon.com/HMD-Extension-Extensions-Hairpiece-Scrunchies/dp/B07ZGFV66R

thank you JasminxCat, those look cool. I may try one! and thank you!

Tinyponies
December 14th, 2020, 12:40 AM
Hi there Firebrand,

I think you’re right and that this awkward phase will pass. Well done on spending a year getting your layers sorted out! It might be that in addition to how your hair texture is, this is an awkward length on you.

My hair felt to be at an awkward length with anything longer than about chin-length, all the way to around hip. I can relate! I can carry off short, or long, but nothing in between. :lol:

If your hair grows at an average speed, you’ll have around 6 1/2 more inches of it by this time next year. What’s your goal length?

It is surprising how getting used to seeing yourself with your hair up can creep up on you, if you let it. It’s such a big change if you're used to having your hair down more often or all the time. The BSL-zone is notorious for stalling due to the increased damage that ends can get. It’s surprising how much. Up-dos and buns will help you to get past it and are so useful for longer hair. I couldn’t grow my fine strands long without them.

You could have a look leaving out some bits of your old fringe to use to make it look less severe, there are a few ladies here who use face framing layers to great advantage. Pretty scarves is a great idea, too. And dangly earrings!

Anyway congrats on your progress so far and *it will pass*! Keep on keeping on :heart:

Firebrand
December 14th, 2020, 12:40 AM
I know what you mean. I felt my hair didn't look great between APL to around MBL. My hair is waist (stretched) now and it lays much more nicely.

Definitely continue to wear your hair up! That got me through the awkward stage, though I favored less protective styles so now my ends aren't so nice looking. Could you do braids? You might like how those look on your face more. You'll also get used to seeing yourself with your hair up the more you wear it that way too :flower:

How long did you wear your hair up during your awkward stage? I will practice with braids. Never tried it before, so I hope I can do it. thanks :)

Firebrand
December 14th, 2020, 01:02 AM
thank you tinyponies, my goal length is bsl, under my boobs. about 4 inches. Yeah I'm not used to having my hair up, always have worn down, but not now, it just looks like crap. Even 2 inches growth should make a difference. It's just hard to think to wear it up for a few months. But I have to, I am out of options. Thanks for your help!

sapphire-o
December 14th, 2020, 03:25 AM
What about half-up? You can simply gather the top half into a ponytail. This way it reduces the width of the "hay stack" look. You hair would be down but look narrower and longer. :)

Everyone was doing half-ups in the 90s with those French barrettes. I heard it's coming back. I think a small flexi or a leather slide would look pretty cool with a half-up.

lapushka
December 14th, 2020, 04:03 AM
thank you tinyponies, my goal length is bsl, under my boobs. about 4 inches. Yeah I'm not used to having my hair up, always have worn down, but not now, it just looks like crap. Even 2 inches growth should make a difference. It's just hard to think to wear it up for a few months. But I have to, I am out of options. Thanks for your help!

A couple inches, that's 2-4 months, of a bit of "tinkering" with it will help until then. Have you tried a peacock twist / log roll with a basic claw clip. It might change it up some for the better as buns can be a bit tight at that length still.

You did great already growing layers out.
& Welcome here! :D

Breezy
December 15th, 2020, 12:06 PM
A couple inches, that's 2-4 months, of a bit of "tinkering" with it will help until then. Have you tried a peacock twist / log roll with a basic claw clip. It might change it up some for the better as buns can be a bit tight at that length still.

You did great already growing layers out.
& Welcome here! :D

Thank you Lapushka, havent tried the peacock twist, will try it!

Breezy
December 15th, 2020, 12:08 PM
What about half-up? You can simply gather the top half into a ponytail. This way it reduces the width of the "hay stack" look. You hair would be down but look narrower and longer. :)

Everyone was doing half-ups in the 90s with those French barrettes. I heard it's coming back. I think a small flexi or a leather slide would look pretty cool with a half-up.

Thanks, this is how I have been wearing it. My texture is wavy, so it works well.

animetor7
December 15th, 2020, 12:22 PM
A vortex bun could work for all the way up. Since it helps hair appear longer when up and can look very pretty! Just as something a bit different. But yeah, you'll get through it!! We all have those awkward length stages. :)

RebekahE
December 15th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Definitely braids. A side braid would look nice. Or a French or Dutch would help contain the layers. You could also do a half up with the top portion braided to help slim the amount of hair hanging down so that it doesn't look so boxy. There's lots of good resources on YouTube for learning to braid. Check out Silvousplaits. She has some basic videos for learning how to do each braid.
https://youtu.be/bco3siNm9qg