PDA

View Full Version : Bored with hair

Stardreamer
December 12th, 2020, 08:03 PM
1 month ago I reached BSL and was pleased. BSL had been my goal for ages. Now I feel lost, I don't really have a goal! I keep looking at the ends of my hair and going "ugh" because the ends of my hair look and feel a bit dry, and I see around 10 split ends on average from a section of my hair at a quick glance. Some split ends are small and some are horrendous - ie. a piece of hair may be split into even 4 bits - my split ends have split ends! I last trimmed my hair in September, I trim every 5-6 months, and haven't cut my hair for nearly 20 months. I put Waist as my next goal but I'm really not sure. I enjoy having long hair in some regards - long Dutch braids <3 but otherwise I hate my 3b/3c texture! I think I want to maintain at BSL, and my split ends aren't TERRIBLE, but I really want a bigger trim than the usual 1/2 inch to get rid of my dry ends, and some of the split ends. I am quite bored of growing my hair long I guess.

1) Is S&D necessary and does it work?
2) How much would you recommend I chop off? I know having a larger trim than 1/2 an inch will make my hair shorter than BSL but that's alright lol, I just want to maintain at this length. I want to chop off more than 1/2 an inch because I want to cut off the dry ends. 1 inch? 1.5 inches?
3) How many split ends are healthy to have..?

Thank you

Dark40
December 12th, 2020, 08:33 PM
I can understand what you are going through. My hair's texture is between wavy/curly which is 2c/3a just like what you see on my profile. I have dry ends all of the time. Especially, during this time of year. The winter weather always causes my ends to get dry. But when I do it invest in some oils, creams, and lotions. Especially, the ones that are moisturizing to the hair. I also deep condition my hair very often as well. When I deep condition I always use a moisturizing deep conditioner. Now, I do balance out my protein deep conditioners and my moisturizing deep conditioners. Like, one week I'll do a moisturizing deep conditioner, and the next week I'll do use a light protein conditioner. I also do weekly hot oil treatments. I do anything to keep my hair and ends well-moisturized, and that's what I suggest you do as well. Now, if you still feel or see split ends then go through microtrimming a little at a time until all of the damage is gone. But I really think once you've done what I've suggested to you your hair will end up being a lot happier. What your hair and ends needs right now is some moisture. I would do what I've suggested to you above before going through the, "Big chop," and take it from there.

ebillan
December 12th, 2020, 10:43 PM
I don't do S&D, but the people I know of who do it *do* have very long, healthy looking hair! I can't tell you how many split ends are normal, but I do feel like I have a lot of them like you. I deal with this by doing trims (at most 1 inch every 4-6 months). My hair is dry, and the ends have damage from being lightened/heat treated, so all this adds up to more split ends. If you've done damage to your hair in this way, at least you know what it will just get healthier as it grows out and you trim the old damaged hair away!

In terms of trimming - what's more important to you? Long hair, or healthy hair? If you feel like you need to cut off an inch to get rid of the split ends, that's what I would do. I don't think it's worth having long hair if the ends look dry and brittle, but if having longer hair is more important to you then you could simply do smaller trims over time while working on ensuring your new hair grows in healthy.

Feral_
December 13th, 2020, 05:13 AM
Firstly well done on BSL! Many here are shorter and would love to be at that length. As for splits - S&D isn’t necessary and neither is trimming IF you don’t want to. Your hair will still grow, if that’s your aim, with splits, or a trimmed hemline.

If you’re bored with your hair then maybe consider a trim though to freshen up the ends. At BSL updos are possible so maybe investigate some buns to give your hair a rest from braids.

You don’t mention what products you’re using - are you oiling or doing deep conditioning treatments? Is your diet and fluid intake good, overall health etc. All those things affect the health of our hair.

lapushka
December 13th, 2020, 07:36 AM
Congrats! :thumbsup:

I would not S&D if there are a lot of splits. If there's a lot, better to trim a bit off. Say like an inch to an inch and a half / roughly 3 cm. That will help already, you have no idea how different that "small" bit is going to feel! Trust me, the difference can be huge.

I would go from there. Waist is for sure within reach! :)

Potauvert
December 13th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Congrats to have reached BSL !

I'm agree with lapushka : sometimes a trim can change your mind about your hair and self esteem about it. I'm also sometimes totally bored about my hair and my growth, it's a long process and it's difficult to no think about a big cut. So the most of the time, I take time for me, do protective hairstyle to not think about it and some days or weeks later, I feel better and I'm really happy to not have trimmed or cut my hair. And sometimes I trimmed a little to feel better too.

The S&D method is great when there are not many splits ends and if they are in the lengths. But it can also refine the lengths if it is done too often. I did S&D one or two per month, it's maybe not enougth but it's okay for me. It takes time to find the perfect routine and the perfect moment to trim.

Deborah
December 13th, 2020, 09:48 AM
I too think a trim would give you the best results. Nice even ends are so pretty.

Kat
December 13th, 2020, 10:48 AM
If you feel you want/need to trim, even up to an inch, go ahead and do so. There are no rules. You have reached your goal; there's nothing wrong with maintaining there if you want to. You don't have to keep setting new goals if you're happy where you are. If you want to keep going longer, by all means do so, but don't feel you're obligated to because you're always supposed to have new "goals" or because you're bored.

And, if you're bored with growing, that's fine. You don't have to make your hair a hobby if you don't want to; you can just have it. There's nothing wrong with basic effective care if that's what works for you. Or, alternately, you could try new styles or products you might find "fun."

Liz_H
December 13th, 2020, 11:29 AM
Since you don't care about more length right now, you're at a perfect time to pamper your hair. I would cut off the split ends, up to an inch or more. Then keep those ends healthy with moisturizing products, protein, oils or whatever your hair needs. If you later decide to grow longer, your healthy hair will look that much nicer.

Jane99
December 13th, 2020, 01:32 PM
I have a lot of splits too. Some of them are pretty bad with a split shaft or the tree split or like you said the split of a split. I have some old damage from poor hair care/bleach/dye. The microtrims and S&D help me manage and not feel like the ends are SO horrible but I’m also planning to cut an inch sometime in the next few months. I suppose my advice would be to baby those ends, keep them moisturized, oiled, protected. when I take care of the ends, mine don’t feel so dry even though they do have the splits.

Stardreamer
December 13th, 2020, 07:19 PM
Thank you guys

lapushka
December 14th, 2020, 04:23 PM
Thank you guys

Have you made a decision yet, on what you're going to do? :)