PDA

View Full Version : So as a newbie here- my hair likes Kirkland Moisture S&C- what does that mean?

LoungeLady
December 11th, 2020, 11:03 AM
Meaning when I read you all say “my hair likes ‘cones” or the similar... if your hair loved this S&C, what would you say your hair likes and what would you be looking for in other s&c or hair care options? I’m not good at figuring this out haha but I know that this s&c always makes my fine hair shiny and soooo tangle free and it feels sooooo soft..... thanks for your help! I’m going to learn about hair from you all!!! 😁

Ylva
December 11th, 2020, 11:10 AM
Are these (https://incidecoder.com/products/kirkland-signature-moisture-shampoo) and these (https://www.mydadthechemist.com/reviews/kirkland-signature-moisture-conditioner-review/) the correct ingredients for the products you have in mind?

If yes, my initial diagnosis is that your hair likes... long ingredients lists. :) It's difficult to say because there's a lot of different stuff in there! Silicones (different kinds as well - a buildup one, a non-buildup one as well as an evaporating one), plant oils, plant extracts, polyquats, shea butter...

The-Young-Maid
December 11th, 2020, 11:37 AM
I remember my hair liked that conditioner. But that was years ago lol I'm not sure what brands would be similar to this that I could compare. Maybe Dove? It has glycerin. My hair loved Dove until the air dried out so watch out for that. Anything with lots of humectants could cause dryness.

lapushka
December 11th, 2020, 11:39 AM
I don't know the products you are talking about (we are from different places in the world). So I can't say, really. It's really helpful that Ylva posted some links, at least.

But why change? If you feel great using these, don't change a good thing! :)

ExpectoPatronum
December 11th, 2020, 12:29 PM
Agreeing with lapushka - if your hair likes it, ingredients don't matter. There are plenty of people on this who use cones in their hair care routines.

cat11
December 11th, 2020, 01:23 PM
I think the important thing is to understand what cones do. They coat the hair shaft with silicone or similar materials. This can block out moisture (or in some cases, seal it in) and require SLS or other sulfates to remove (depending on which cone and how high it is in the ingredients list.) It prevents other things like oils from being able to penetrate the hair shaft.

Some love cones.

I hate cones (lol.)

But I understand why some like them. it can make the hair very slippery. As long as your routine prevents buildup and you can still get moisture, if you like it you should be fine.

lapushka
December 11th, 2020, 02:41 PM
I think the important thing is to understand what cones do. They coat the hair shaft with silicone or similar materials. This can block out moisture (or in some cases, seal it in) and require SLS or other sulfates to remove (depending on which cone and how high it is in the ingredients list.) It prevents other things like oils from being able to penetrate the hair shaft.

Some love cones.

I hate cones (lol.)

But I understand why some like them. it can make the hair very slippery. As long as your routine prevents buildup and you can still get moisture, if you like it you should be fine.

Granted, the very same goes for heavy butters & waxes as well. So if you're trying to say that because it's "synthetic" it needs sulfates, sometimes natural things need sulfates too. It is always a good idea to clarify wash once to a couple times a month. Depending on how often you wash. If weekly, once every 6 weeks (which I used to do) is fine!

It's not "just" silicones that can coat hair, even natural products do that.

What I initially said still goes: if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Obsidian
December 11th, 2020, 05:12 PM
I've been using kirkland shampoo on and off for a couple years. Its sulfate free and the closest I've found to it is loreal everpure line.
Not sure about the conditioner, I really disliked the kirkland and never tried the loreal.

LoungeLady
December 11th, 2020, 05:41 PM
Are these (https://incidecoder.com/products/kirkland-signature-moisture-shampoo) and these (https://www.mydadthechemist.com/reviews/kirkland-signature-moisture-conditioner-review/) the correct ingredients for the products you have in mind?

If yes, my initial diagnosis is that your hair likes... long ingredients lists. :) It's difficult to say because there's a lot of different stuff in there! Silicones (different kinds as well - a buildup one, a non-buildup one as well as an evaporating one), plant oils, plant extracts, polyquats, shea butter...
Haha I literally laughed at this!!!! Thanks!

And to everyone, thanks! I’m not saying I like or don’t like silicones - I was just trying to extrapolate what I must like if I like this. When I’m on here and people say “my hair doesn’t like coconut oil” or “my hair likes sulfates” - I just don’t always get it. I’ve never really thought of what my hair likes or doesn’t like. So I just had a light bulb moment where I realize I always love my hair when I use this particular one. I have no idea how it differs from my Maui moisture (bamboo - it’s ok) or my Attitude one or the Function of Beauty one. I like them all but my hair always looks best with this one. Anyhow all good. My hair likes long ingredient lists 🤣🤣🤣

cat11
December 11th, 2020, 11:16 PM
Granted, the very same goes for heavy butters & waxes as well. So if you're trying to say that because it's "synthetic" it needs sulfates, sometimes natural things need sulfates too. It is always a good idea to clarify wash once to a couple times a month. Depending on how often you wash. If weekly, once every 6 weeks (which I used to do) is fine!

It's not "just" silicones that can coat hair, even natural products do that.

What I initially said still goes: if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yes indeed, silicones coat the hair and can be difficult to remove because they're thick, just like butters, not because they are synthetic.

It's a good thing to understand if you like using either.

Ylva
December 12th, 2020, 03:50 AM
Haha I literally laughed at this!!!! Thanks!

And to everyone, thanks! I’m not saying I like or don’t like silicones - I was just trying to extrapolate what I must like if I like this. When I’m on here and people say “my hair doesn’t like coconut oil” or “my hair likes sulfates” - I just don’t always get it. I’ve never really thought of what my hair likes or doesn’t like. So I just had a light bulb moment where I realize I always love my hair when I use this particular one. I have no idea how it differs from my Maui moisture (bamboo - it’s ok) or my Attitude one or the Function of Beauty one. I like them all but my hair always looks best with this one. Anyhow all good. My hair likes long ingredient lists ������

These are mostly things people learn as they troubleshoot things. It's just as alright to have no idea. That means you never needed to figure it out - which, I would say, is a good thing as well. :)

sapphire-o
December 12th, 2020, 06:19 AM
I think it means you can save a lot of money on hair products. :D

I bought some once because I couldn't resist the price. I think they're very nice but nobody in my family (all long haired) wanted it. Eventually I gave it to my brother who would use anything.

LoungeLady
December 12th, 2020, 07:25 AM
These are mostly things people learn as they troubleshoot things. It's just as alright to have no idea. That means you never needed to figure it out - which, I would say, is a good thing as well. :)
Well to be honest, I’ve always had short hair- never even to my collar bone! So I’m learning how to manage fine LONG hair - thanks to you all!! Thank you!

LoungeLady
December 12th, 2020, 07:27 AM
I think it means you can save a lot of money on hair products. :D

🤣🤣🤣
Win! I get to keep it simple!!!

lapushka
December 12th, 2020, 07:31 AM
Yes indeed, silicones coat the hair and can be difficult to remove because they're thick, just like butters, not because they are synthetic.

It's a good thing to understand if you like using either.

I didn't "grasp" that as a beginner! I once went totally off of silicones, and this was in my sulfate-free "phase" LOL. Yes, I have had phases. :rolleyes: And then I got butters and waxes, and the whole thing started to give me issues. Now, the Urtekram was actually pretty good, and also the Avalon Organics, which both aren't "totally" sulfate-free (sulfate-mild rather). But I noticed it on my scalp, way before on the rest of my hair. FYI I can't go sulfate-free due to scalp issues.

Everything has been a learning curve for me, and I think I experienced it all. It's not like I just wake up and "come up" with these things. ;) BTDT. Over and over, because: hard learner.

LoungeLady, if we can spare you some trouble, we sure will! And if you ever want to know about a product in future, just throw it on here! :thumbsup: