PDA

View Full Version : Those poor hairdressers;)

paulownia
December 11th, 2020, 06:05 AM
I stumbled across this one yesterday and I had some good laugh :D
We rant on them but surprise they complain about us too...
Nr 36 is priceless 🤣
https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-hairdresser-memes/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Bri-Chan
December 11th, 2020, 07:56 AM
Ahha so hilarious ��

cat11
December 11th, 2020, 08:19 AM
thanks for sharing!! These are funny.

Wow look at 105... haha. That's some nice hair.

and 140 omg that is awful

jane_marie
December 11th, 2020, 08:27 AM
As a former cosmetologist I have to say the amount of hairdresser hate on lhc is a bit... :rolleyes:

A lot of these are really relatable (10, 14, 25, 27, 30, 32, 38, 42... I lost interest after that). I loved doing hair but it was sort of grueling and honestly I found my coworkers worse than the clients.

Not related but I've been really really thinking about cutting myself some of those super super short (like inch long) bangs. My forehead is only about 2 inches anyway so they would grow back to my normal placement really quickly ... so why not look like Yolandi?

FaeBroom
December 11th, 2020, 09:48 AM
#8 is exactly why I don't go to the hair salon! They always yell at me for cutting my own hair LOL- I don't care if its not exactly professional, *I* think it looks cute!!

cat11
December 11th, 2020, 10:16 AM
I thought all the color correct complaining ones were funny. That was me in 2013 with a black/bleached/red/blue/purple thing I wanted matched as close to my natural color as possible before I started growing lol

lapis_lazuli
December 11th, 2020, 10:38 AM
These amused me a lot for someone who knows little about cosmetology :lol: I loved my former hairdresser; she cut my hair from infancy until I was 16. She would appreciate these.

lapushka
December 11th, 2020, 10:51 AM
As a former cosmetologist I have to say the amount of hairdresser hate on lhc is a bit... :rolleyes:

A lot of these are really relatable (10, 14, 25, 27, 30, 32, 38, 42... I lost interest after that). I loved doing hair but it was sort of grueling and honestly I found my coworkers worse than the clients.

Not related but I've been really really thinking about cutting myself some of those super super short (like inch long) bangs. My forehead is only about 2 inches anyway so they would grow back to my normal placement really quickly ... so why not look like Yolandi?

But can you blame us? ;) Most of us have had at least one bad experience, and where better to share than here. I always feel like it's not done "abusively" but always in a polite manner. And that's what counts. You are allowed, anywhere, to share your experiences, good or bad. It never is done just for the fun of it, jane_marie, it always comes from a good place! I think you have to keep that in mind.

lapushka
December 11th, 2020, 10:55 AM
I stumbled across this one yesterday and I had some good laugh :D
We rant on them but surprise they complain about us too...
Nr 36 is priceless ��
https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-hairdresser-memes/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

This page loads super slow for me. Is that just me? :(

Some of these are worth it, though. I just don't have the time to go through all of them, but it was entertaining.
Thanks! :D

Entangled
December 11th, 2020, 10:56 AM
Some were funny, and then some were uncomfortably judgy IMO. Words like mousy to describe the before color, assumption that blunt ends are the end-all, be-all, etc. The ones about clothes, wanting to be paid properly for services, and customers having unrealistic demands all seemed on-point.

The one about inches really had me scratching my head, though, as it seems from experience that it goes the out her way round. (Losing three or more inches when one inch was asked).

jane_marie
December 11th, 2020, 11:07 AM
But can you blame us? ;) Most of us have had at least one bad experience, and where better to share than here. I always feel like it's not done "abusively" but always in a polite manner. And that's what counts. You are allowed, anywhere, to share your experiences, good or bad. It never is done just for the fun of it, jane_marie, it always comes from a good place! I think you have to keep that in mind.

I mean... I have had bad experiences with men, or teachers, or people of certain religions, or police officers, or government workers, etc etc but I don't think it would be considered valid to act like every person within any of those groups is bad and that is certainly the vibe some of these hairdresser bashing threads give.

I don't want to argue about this lapushka. It's sort of pointless but if you look into these types of posts you can find hundreds of examples that are making blanket statements about hairdressers as a whole.

The-Young-Maid
December 11th, 2020, 11:33 AM
My negative experience with hairdressers is valid. I'm not required to put myself out there again and again because, "not every one of them is bad!". I'm not going to pay someone to not listen to me and **** up my hair again. So for my own sake yes all hairdressers are considered bad. Makes you wonder how there are sooo many bad apples that all these members have come to the same conclusion...

I can't control a lot of things in life but at least I don't have to sit in a hairdresser's chair.

*rant*
10/10 memes

lapushka
December 11th, 2020, 11:36 AM
jane_marie, where are those blanket statements? :hmm: I have only seen people recount their own experience on here, that's it. Now if you are a hairdresser, yes sure, if you take it personally (not as it was intended) but you as well must have had the odd, "I don't like this at all" feeling?

The-Young-Maid
December 11th, 2020, 11:46 AM
jane_marie, where are those blanket statements? :hmm: I have only seen people recount their own experience on here, that's it. Now if you are a hairdresser, yes sure, if you take it personally (not as it was intended) but you as well must have had the odd, "I don't like this at all" feeling?

Yes. Nobody is going to just randomly toss out a blanket statement like all hairdressers are bad unless they've had bad experiences. Which happens to be many of us. So in this instance, this statement is something that many of us remind ourselves of so that we can avoid more disasters. I don't want to experience that stress again. We know it isn't 100% true. But it's true enough. You really can't blame us.

jane_marie
December 11th, 2020, 11:48 AM
I'm not going to waste my time sorting through threads all day finding what I am talking about but since you asked here's is a very easy example from this very page:

So for my own sake yes all hairdressers are considered bad.

hmm indeed.

Now, I'm going to see myself off becuase it's pretty abundantly evident that the majority of LHC users WANT the forum to come across as hostile and unwelcoming to cosmetologists.

I'm going to see myself out now because I regret coming onto the forum side of LHC at all today and I don't need to waste my day fighting.

The-Young-Maid
December 11th, 2020, 11:49 AM
I'm not going to waste my time sorting through threads all day finding what I am talking about but since you asked here's is a very easy example from this very page:

hmm indeed.

Now, I'm going to see myself off becuase it's pretty abundantly evident that the majority of LHC users WANT the forum to come across as hostile and unwelcoming to cosmetologists.

I'm going to see myself out now because I regret coming onto the forum side of LHC at all today and I don't need to waste my day fighting.

Okay be that way BYE
Another butthurt hairdresser that takes things too personally.

FaeBroom
December 11th, 2020, 12:02 PM
I see the hairdresser thing as, like lapushka said, more like people wanting to share their experiences in a safe place. Generalizations are not always super harmful, for example we all know the DMV is slow, someone might have an excellent experience there every once in a while, but generally most people avoid it as much as possible. Generally, hairdressers take of way more than an inch. When I had longer hair my hairdresser tried to tell me I absolutely needed about six inches off when I only asked for one, because it was all "dead ends", meanwhile there was nothing at all wrong with it. I think people on this website have different standards for hair care than most, which is why you may see some discomfort with and avoidance of professional hairstylists, it's nothing to take to heart really.

jane_marie
December 11th, 2020, 12:03 PM
Oh my god the term is cosmetologist and as I stated I am a FORMER cosmetologist. I am not sure why this keeps happening in these threads. I clearly state that I worked in cosmetology in the past.

I no longer work in cosmetology For the last two years I have worked off and on as a lab assistant while I worked on my education. I now have a degree in microbiology and am finishing up training to work as civil servant working in waste water management and bioremediation.

baanoo
December 11th, 2020, 12:07 PM
I mean... I have had bad experiences with men, or teachers, or people of certain religions, or police officers, or government workers, etc etc but I don't think it would be considered valid to act like every person within any of those groups is bad and that is certainly the vibe some of these hairdresser bashing threads give.

I don't want to argue about this lapushka. It's sort of pointless but if you look into these types of posts you can find hundreds of examples that are making blanket statements about hairdressers as a whole.

Yep! I suspect that a lot of this is bad communication / no established relationship with the person doing your hair / not the right energy mix between client and stylist / expecting something bad to happen and going in guarded.

Speaking for myself, I think the majority of times I've not been happy with a haircut it was more to do with me not being clear about what I wanted than the stylist doing a bad job. When it has been the stylist doing a bad job, well, that's on me, too, for not doing my due-diligence about the person doing my hair. I have had bad haircuts, sure – but I've also had great haircuts and glorious color and my cosmetologist for the past five years is a gem and I love him.

The-Young-Maid
December 11th, 2020, 12:16 PM
Oh my god the term is cosmetologist and as I stated I am a FORMER cosmetologist. I am not sure why this keeps happening in these threads. I clearly state that I worked in cosmetology in the past.

I no longer work in cosmetology For the last two years I have worked off and on as a lab assistant while I worked on my education. I now have a degree in microbiology and am finishing up training to work as civil servant working in waste water management and bioremediation.

So... a hairdresser? K got it. I'm an essential worker. You're Welcome. But oh I'm sorry you didn't ask. It's all about you today right? After all thats why you posted. You just wanted attention cause you were in your feelings.

neko_kawaii
December 11th, 2020, 12:23 PM
KNIT REMINDER!

It has been said more than once that TLHC is one of the nicest sites on the 'net. That's because we have exceptional members who genuinely care about each other and terrific moderators who strive to make sure everyone has the best experience possible. The feeling created is very much like an extended family.

On occasion, however, a quarrel will occur, or a bit of snark will creep into people's messages, and this note is a gentle reminder that the best antidote for that is for everyone to monitor their own posts. Using the Report Button is a great help to the moderators by alerting us to problems, but prevention is a way that everyone can help maintain that warm community spirit. So, as we like to say, KNIT before you post.

Before you hit the "Submit" button, review what you're about to say.
Is it Kind?
Is it Necessary?
Is it Informative?
Is it True?

Read your words as if someone else were saying them to you. How would you receive them? Would you be offended, hurt or angry? If your post doesn't pass those tests, try again. If you simply can't compose something, let the thread go, and maybe try again later.

Every once in a while, there will be something that you cannot agree with. No one expects there to be a complete meeting of minds on every single topic discussed here. In those cases, we ask for tolerance - not acceptance, but tolerance. The other person is always worthy of respect. If you post, do not attack. Agree to disagree, and let your words be civil and even as kind as possible.

lapushka
December 11th, 2020, 12:49 PM
I see the hairdresser thing as, like lapushka said, more like people wanting to share their experiences in a safe place. Generalizations are not always super harmful, for example we all know the DMV is slow, someone might have an excellent experience there every once in a while, but generally most people avoid it as much as possible. Generally, hairdressers take of way more than an inch. When I had longer hair my hairdresser tried to tell me I absolutely needed about six inches off when I only asked for one, because it was all "dead ends", meanwhile there was nothing at all wrong with it. I think people on this website have different standards for hair care than most, which is why you may see some discomfort with and avoidance of professional hairstylists, it's nothing to take to heart really.

^^ I agree with this.

We had a hairdresser on here, who totally got that, I can't remember her username, but she had such gorgeous hair... Oh gosh, does anyone know who I'm talking about? She was so nice!

luluj
December 11th, 2020, 01:23 PM
^^ I agree with this.

We had a hairdresser on here, who totally got that, I can't remember her username, but she had such gorgeous hair... Oh gosh, does anyone know who I'm talking about? She was so nice!

Was it perhaps UltraBella? I hope I have spelled her username properly.

lapushka
December 11th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Was it perhaps UltraBella? I hope I have spelled her username properly.

Yes! That's who I was referring to. :) I miss having her around. :D

Iyashikei
December 11th, 2020, 02:46 PM
I happen to live in a place where bad cosmetologists are hard to find.

Honestly, I can see both sides points. Some experiences I had that were less than stellar were definitely due to miscommunication from my part but there is one I'm certain of he's just not great. That being said I love going. My cosmetologist is a treasure who, no matter her own mood, listens to whatever woes I'm having at the moment. I know it's far from an easy job and that some customers have no right complaining, and although I have complained about a messed up appointment once or twice I wouldn't want to cut my own hair.

C_Bookworm
December 11th, 2020, 03:25 PM
Yes! That's who I was referring to. :) I miss having her around. :D

I miss her too. She had such beautiful layers.

Belgrade Beauty
December 11th, 2020, 03:56 PM
I saw all the memes hahaha, some are hilarious some are insulting but ya know..every show has a crowd... As far as HAIRDRESSERS go, bad experiences all the time. I don't know what part of this sentence isn't clear: "I'm growing my hair, trim 1cm off." How do I get 6cm off?

Bri-Chan
December 11th, 2020, 04:14 PM
On my experience, I had fabulous haircut done by hairdressers when I used to wear a lot of layers. But the experience itself, always horrible because none know how to detangle my hair. I don't know why. They always end complaining or just adding lods of leave in conditioner and taking a lot of time and energies and always ending up causing some breakage. It's always been like this. Plus, now that I'm growing my hair I fear to lose a lot more than what I want.
I was seriously considering to see an hairdresser, because I want a professional haircut. But I don't know if I fear more breakage or too many centimeters gone.

Kat
December 11th, 2020, 04:27 PM
#12 is so me, but she has waaaaaay less awkwardness and unattractiveness. These days I know so many 14-year-olds who look 25 and more womanly than I ever did or will at any age...

The right-side picture of #47 is pretty much how I look by about 11 a.m. just sitting in my chair at work (hooray oily skin that makes eye makeup run and hair with tons of wispies that love to pull out all over even if I'm just sitting still...)

I'm laughing at the ones about all the people who want to go platinum. Am I like the only person in the world who WANTS yellowish/reddish (i.e. warm) tones in my hair?? (Why isn't there a toning shampoo for THAT?)

thanks for sharing!! These are funny.

Wow look at 105... haha. That's some nice hair.

and 140 omg that is awful

I'm trying to figure out the point of 105... is the hairdresser mad because the client isn't having more done? Contrasting bleaching with the goal of having long (hence, healthy) hair?

Re: 140-- worst extensions I ever saw were on lady I saw crossing the street when I was a stoplight. Thank heaven I was sitting there because I had to look at her for a bit to figure out what was going on. She must have had the type of extensions that are bonded to the hair in some fashion... because she had blond extensions grown out about 4-6" on black hair. They were just hanging there, these weird blonde tassels, halfway down her head. Truly bizarre. I don't really know how extensions work, so I don't know if she couldn't get them out and didn't want to cut her hair off super-short so was trying to grow them to a length where she would be okay with cutting her hair, or if they were supposed to eventually fall out on their own and just... hadn't..., or what.

Some were funny, and then some were uncomfortably judgy IMO. Words like mousy to describe the before color, assumption that blunt ends are the end-all, be-all, etc.

Yeah, the ones that were all horrified that someone says they buy shampoo at the store... like, am I missing something? Am I just completely clueless about the fact that my hair will glow in the dark and fart unicorns if I start using the salon stuff, and I'm just holding it back with my V05? LOL. I'm kind of glad I don't usually go hairdressers if they're all sitting there thinking I'm committing some sort of sin by using "regular" shampoo...

On my experience, I had fabulous haircut done by hairdressers when I used to wear a lot of layers. But the experience itself, always horrible because none know how to detangle my hair. I don't know why. They always end complaining or just adding lods of leave in conditioner and taking a lot of time and energies and always ending up causing some breakage. It's always been like this. Plus, now that I'm growing my hair I fear to lose a lot more than what I want.
I was seriously considering to see an hairdresser, because I want a professional haircut. But I don't know if I fear more breakage or too many centimeters gone.

Yeah, if I ever go back to a salon, I will just arrange with them that I go in with freshly-washed/still damp and detangled hair. It's just not worth having someone ripping a comb through my hair. I get it: my hair is really tangly and takes a while to detangle, so easier if I just don't even make them deal with it. (The lady I used to see was hip to my hair, but we had a system-- my mom also saw her, so we would go in, she would wash my hair, then I would detangle it while she cut my mom's hair, and then I would be ready for her. But, I don't have any way to do that now.)

Bri-Chan
December 11th, 2020, 04:34 PM
Yeah, if I ever go back to a salon, I will just arrange with them that I go in with freshly-washed/still damp and detangled hair. It's just not worth having someone ripping a comb through my hair. I get it: my hair is really tangly and takes a while to detangle, so easier if I just don't even make them deal with it. (The lady I used to see was hip to my hair, but we had a system-- my mom also saw her, so we would go in, she would wash my hair, then I would detangle it while she cut my mom's hair, and then I would be ready for her. But, I don't have any way to do that now.)
This could sound weird for people from other countries, but here (Italy) you can't do that. If you want to just cut, you have to have it washed and styled anyway.

lapushka
December 11th, 2020, 05:00 PM
This could sound weird for people from other countries, but here (Italy) you can't do that. If you want to just cut, you have to have it washed and styled anyway.

Same here, unless you go to a barber, maybe. And I think my small town (30,000 inhabitants) has 2 barbers, that's it.

baanoo
December 11th, 2020, 06:27 PM
I happen to live in a place where bad cosmetologists are hard to find.

Honestly, I can see both sides points. Some experiences I had that were less than stellar were definitely due to miscommunication from my part but there is one I'm certain of he's just not great. That being said I love going. My cosmetologist is a treasure who, no matter her own mood, listens to whatever woes I'm having at the moment. I know it's far from an easy job and that some customers have no right complaining, and although I have complained about a messed up appointment once or twice I wouldn't want to cut my own hair.
Yes, that’s exactly how I feel about it

Kat
December 11th, 2020, 09:00 PM

Some here won't allow it, I believe, but I've asked places before and some will.

Dark40
December 11th, 2020, 09:50 PM
These are hilarious! Thanks for sharing! They are all funny. :D

cat11
December 11th, 2020, 11:07 PM
Kate, I totally dont understand 105 either! But I like her hair.

I haven't gone to the hair dresser since 2012. I went to my moms hair dresser to have her even out my colors before I grew out. Before that I dyed and sometimes cut my own hair too. But mostly my mom cut my hair. She used to manage a hair salon.

She mostly listened to what I wanted. But it was hard to convince her I didnt need at least some blending of my bangs to my sides. Haha.

Now I wouldn't go to the hair dresser cause I cut my own hair. And the detangling. Thats a huge deal to me. I cant have my hair ripped.
I do not trust anyone to detangle my hair. My mom tried it once on my longer hair, tried to fine tooth comb from the top down on my thick wavy hip length hair the comb just stuck of course. Insisted we had to do it wet and then got all frustrated and left when I tried to explain wide tooth combing it from the bottom. Love her but she doesnt understand my hair type and I dont think other hairdressers would either cause they all used to comb like that too, wet from the top.

It's like people who tell you to brush your hair more to make it lay down when its curly and then act like you're a freak of nature that you look like a poodle now. Why on earth didnt it work, what's wrong with your hair? Which was also my life growing up lol

Shudder shudder shudder. Nope nope nope....

paulownia
December 12th, 2020, 12:52 AM
Whoa :confused: I didn't mean to post it and start a battle:D
Just to get you folks some laughs.
As far as hairdressers go I don't have very bad experiences but not very good either. I went to salon 4 times in my life and afterwards I just thought: OK thats not bad but I can do it myself too:D
Memes are mostly funny, some of them are a little offensive, that's true, ridiculing self-cutting, drugstore shampoo and box dye ( honestly, what's wrong with those:eye:)

TatsuOni
December 12th, 2020, 04:23 AM
I have not yet read all, but some are really funny! :)

And as for getting your hair washed. When cutting my hair it's only happened once. My fathers old SO woke me up and dragged me to a hairdresser with dirty hair and told the the hairdresser that he had to wash it first. Other than that no one's even suggested to wash it. They cut my hair and styled it.

I haven't been to a hair dresser in many years now. So is this a Swedish thing, to go to hair dresser with clean hair and not needing to have it washed? Or was I just lucky? Sorry to go OT, but I got curious now!

leayellena
December 12th, 2020, 04:34 AM
Kate, I totally dont understand 105 either! But I like her hair.

I haven't gone to the hair dresser since 2012. I went to my moms hair dresser to have her even out my colors before I grew out. Before that I dyed and sometimes cut my own hair too. But mostly my mom cut my hair. She used to manage a hair salon.

She mostly listened to what I wanted. But it was hard to convince her I didnt need at least some blending of my bangs to my sides. Haha.

Now I wouldn't go to the hair dresser cause I cut my own hair. And the detangling. Thats a huge deal to me. I cant have my hair ripped.
I do not trust anyone to detangle my hair. My mom tried it once on my longer hair, tried to fine tooth comb from the top down on my thick wavy hip length hair the comb just stuck of course. Insisted we had to do it wet and then got all frustrated and left when I tried to explain wide tooth combing it from the bottom. Love her but she doesnt understand my hair type and I dont think other hairdressers would either cause they all used to comb like that too, wet from the top.

It's like people who tell you to brush your hair more to make it lay down when its curly and then act like you're a freak of nature that you look like a poodle now. Why on earth didnt it work, what's wrong with your hair? Which was also my life growing up lol

Shudder shudder shudder. Nope nope nope....

People want very long hair (waist or hip length is actually very long for hairdressing) but still be able to bleach and flat iron it into submission without getting any damage. Of course clients don't know FIA's hair typing system and about 1a looking like it's flat ironed. Or about honey that's supposed to lighten hair. Or about natural highlights, I think holistichabits stated in one of her videos that she has natural highlights and sometimes she used honey few years ago.

leayellena
December 12th, 2020, 04:39 AM

And as for getting your hair washed. When cutting my hair it's only happened once. My fathers old SO woke me up and dragged me to a hairdresser with dirty hair and told the the hairdresser that he had to wash it first. Other than that no one's even suggested to wash it. They cut my hair and styled it.

I haven't been to a hair dresser in many years now. So is this a Swedish thing, to go to hair dresser with clean hair and not needing to have it washed? Or was I just lucky? Sorry to go OT, but I got curious now!

In Romania you go to hairdressers with hair freshly washed but without conditioner in it because it looks limp and they don't like it. I always washed my hair in the evening and got next morning with my hair limp and frizzy. And no hairdresser told me that something like conditioner should exist on the market. My family still wash their Bob and pixie with harsh shampoo and complain about hair fall even when their scalp is still full of hair. Conditioners are expensive and let their thin(!) locks limp. Meanwhile I hereby call it: lower thigh length.

TatsuOni
December 12th, 2020, 04:41 AM
In Romania you go to hairdressers with hair freshly washed but without conditioner in it because it looks limp and they don't like it. I always washed my hair in the evening and got next morning with my hair limp and frizzy. And no hairdresser told me that something like conditioner should exist on the market. My family still wash their Bob and pixie with harsh shampoo and complain about hair fall even when their scalp is still full of hair. Conditioners are expensive and let their thin(!) locks limp. Meanwhile I hereby call it: lower thigh length.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing :) Now I think that we might need a thread just for this topic!

GordonMurphella
December 12th, 2020, 04:51 AM
Well, for the record, trying to load that page hosed my computer so I couldn't see, but it seems like there's enough anger in the air alone these days to poison things without further adding to it by getting so upset about a message board post ... JaneMarie I'm sorry you seem to be in such a bad place and I hope you feel better at some point.

Suortuva
December 12th, 2020, 05:27 AM

I don't know really, but I'm in Sweden too, and I used to go hairdressers to get my hair cut, but I have done it myself the last 2 years now. My last hairdresser, who I liked very much and who understood my hair, always asked if I wanted her to wash it first or not, and she didn't charge extra for wash. Then I know there's salons that charge extra for wash, so you can save little if you don't choose a wash.

TatsuOni
December 12th, 2020, 05:31 AM
I don't know really, but I'm in Sweden too, and I used to go hairdressers to get my hair cut, but I have done it myself the last 2 years now. My last hairdresser, who I liked very much and who understood my hair, always asked if I wanted her to wash it first or not, and she didn't charge extra for wash. Then I know there's salons that charge extra for wash, so you can save little if you don't choose a wash.

So it probably is up to the client if they want it washed here :)

lapushka
December 12th, 2020, 07:39 AM

That's actually a Swedish thing?! :) Over here in Belgium they wash your hair, it's just standard procedure. When dad used to go to his barber (we've been cutting his hair short for almost the whole of 2020), he just clippered it dry, and dampened it up top to cut it with a spray bottle. Barbers here don't wash your hair; well I guess it also depends on the barber.

cestlavie
December 12th, 2020, 07:49 AM
In The Netherlands it is quite normal to come in with already washed hair. It's important that there are no styling products in your hair.

Kat
December 12th, 2020, 10:28 AM
I think that's probably part of the reason they prefer to wash hair there-- they want to know someone's hair is clean, doesn't have products in it, etc. I mean, I guess if a place told me they would have to wash my hair, I would explain to them that they would then need to either take the time to carefully detangle it-- not just rip a comb through to get it done as quickly as possible-- or allow me the time to do it myself. Which is going to seem sort of a waste of time for everyone involved.

Bri-Chan
December 12th, 2020, 05:26 PM
I think that's probably part of the reason they prefer to wash hair there-- they want to know someone's hair is clean, doesn't have products in it, etc. I mean, I guess if a place told me they would have to wash my hair, I would explain to them that they would then need to either take the time to carefully detangle it-- not just rip a comb through to get it done as quickly as possible-- or allow me the time to do it myself. Which is going to seem sort of a waste of time for everyone involved.

I don't think the hairdressers who cut my hair just wanted to do as soon as possible, in my situation. My assumption is that they see finer and thinner hair than average (where I live) and since I don't have "a lot of hair" they never truly think that my hair should be treated, like I say, "like way more texured hair". They seem sure they'll just find few tangles. Indeed, when I had extremely layered hair, they had way less troubles, because I had "not a lot of hair" as they thought.
Obviously I can't be sure this is the true and only reason.

Kat
December 12th, 2020, 10:46 PM
I don't think the hairdressers who cut my hair just wanted to do as soon as possible, in my situation. My assumption is that they see finer and thinner hair than average (where I live) and since I don't have "a lot of hair" they never truly think that my hair should be treated, like I say, "like way more texured hair". They seem sure they'll just find few tangles. Indeed, when I had extremely layered hair, they had way less troubles, because I had "not a lot of hair" as they thought.
Obviously I can't be sure this is the true and only reason.

Oh, I've had times when I've felt they probably just want to get it done. I know my hair, I know it's tangle-prone, so I know detangling can take a while (especially right after a wash when it's still pretty wet; I don't start trying to detangle myself until it's been wrapped in a towel/airdrying for a bit and is damp but not wet). And I get why they would get impatient, and yeah, it sucks to go in knowing they would have to spend a lot of time to get my hair detangled. (It also doesn't help that combing, for my hair, simply does more damage than finger-combing, no matter what. I don't know why, but with a regular comb, unless I'm super-careful, I can hear hair snapping; it just is what it is). In my case, it would be way easier to spare both of us the pain and just show up with hair that is ready to cut... because the alternative is to choose either hair damage for me, or a stylist wasting a lot of time either trying to carefully detangle my hair or waiting for me to do it myself.

(And this is part of the reason I just cut it myself...)

Ada-banana
December 13th, 2020, 03:53 AM
Oh, I've had times when I've felt they probably just want to get it done. I know my hair, I know it's tangle-prone, so I know detangling can take a while (especially right after a wash when it's still pretty wet; I don't start trying to detangle myself until it's been wrapped in a towel/airdrying for a bit and is damp but not wet). And I get why they would get impatient, and yeah, it sucks to go in knowing they would have to spend a lot of time to get my hair detangled. (It also doesn't help that combing, for my hair, simply does more damage than finger-combing, no matter what. I don't know why, but with a regular comb, unless I'm super-careful, I can hear hair snapping; it just is what it is). In my case, it would be way easier to spare both of us the pain and just show up with hair that is ready to cut... because the alternative is to choose either hair damage for me, or a stylist wasting a lot of time either trying to carefully detangle my hair or waiting for me to do it myself.

(And this is part of the reason I just cut it myself...)

Yes, uncomfortable if you need a lot of time when the hairdressers culture is really about handling clients quickly. I understand.
I don't want to go to the hairdresser anymore because I don't like to sit there talking about what I'm going to with the holidays. But also I'm afraid that I will cut my own hair wrong. Ah wel..
Some images made me laugh though.

Feral_
December 13th, 2020, 04:12 AM
Before I did my own hair I had experience of a couple of salons - one was at T&G so what I’d call a posh salon, the other a local privately owned place.

T&G definitely had a tight time schedule and it was like a production line going for any haircut. I didn’t mind the no-nonsense approach, but being a Yorkshire lass £40+ for 20 mins was hard to justify!

My local hairdressers are the opposite - always took time beforehand to ask what you wanted and actually listen! Also she would take 45 minutes to wash and wet trim my hair (never opted for blow drying) and we chatted about our dogs - perfect. Cup of tea, and at Christmas a sherry and a mince pie. Cost £12. :D

Ada-banana
December 13th, 2020, 05:31 AM
Before I did my own hair I had experience of a couple of salons - one was at T&G so what I’d call a posh salon, the other a local privately owned place.

T&G definitely had a tight time schedule and it was like a production line going for any haircut. I didn’t mind the no-nonsense approach, but being a Yorkshire lass £40+ for 20 mins was hard to justify!

My local hairdressers are the opposite - always took time beforehand to ask what you wanted and actually listen! Also she would take 45 minutes to wash and wet trim my hair (never opted for blow drying) and we chatted about our dogs - perfect. Cup of tea, and at Christmas a sherry and a mince pie. Cost £12. :D

Ah that's nice! Nice when people take the time for you and when people really try to connect with other people.
I always come again when people are nice and pleasant. It's good for business too, not only for your karma :-)

Amenahh
December 13th, 2020, 07:38 AM
Back when I was in the UK, I used to go to a small salon and I loved it. It was a Brazilian family business and I became sort of friends with the people there eventually, they were so nice. Visiting always made me feel pampered as my hairdresser always took his time, was gentle, always listened to what I wanted, and we were having some nice chats too. He was always offering me something to drink too. I haven't had a single negative experience.

Since moving away, I went to a hairdresser once. It was a totally different experience. It was a fancy place (I went as a birthday treat), and even though the guy was nice, he handled my hair much more brutally (combing, blow drying etc.) and seemed in a rush to get rid of me. In fact, he started working on cutting someone else's hair, and asked an assistant to style mine. It just felt really impersonal. I don't blame him, the place was probably pushing them to their limit (as in the memes). But yeah, not a good experience. They offered me tea and I accepted it, and in the end I noticed that I had to pay 5 euros for the tea. Quite funny.

My post doesn't have much to do with the memes (which were really entertaining!), but more about the discussion earlier. I feel like it's hard to generalise. It really depends on the person, the salon, your communication etc.

Alexandrina
December 13th, 2020, 10:03 PM
Back when I was in the UK, I used to go to a small salon and I loved it. It was a Brazilian family business and I became sort of friends with the people there eventually, they were so nice. Visiting always made me feel pampered as my hairdresser always took his time, was gentle, always listened to what I wanted, and we were having some nice chats too. He was always offering me something to drink too. I haven't had a single negative experience.

Since moving away, I went to a hairdresser once. It was a totally different experience. It was a fancy place (I went as a birthday treat), and even though the guy was nice, he handled my hair much more brutally (combing, blow drying etc.) and seemed in a rush to get rid of me. In fact, he started working on cutting someone else's hair, and asked an assistant to style mine. It just felt really impersonal. I don't blame him, the place was probably pushing them to their limit (as in the memes). But yeah, not a good experience. They offered me tea and I accepted it, and in the end I noticed that I had to pay 5 euros for the tea. Quite funny.

My post doesn't have much to do with the memes (which were really entertaining!), but more about the discussion earlier. I feel like it's hard to generalise. It really depends on the person, the salon, your communication etc.

Yeah, for sure, people can make or break a place by just customer service and only one or two experiences!
There's definitely some places I won't return to because similar experiences to yours (not hair places, just the general feeling/attitude was similar, I mean)

Belgrade Beauty
December 14th, 2020, 07:57 AM
I saw they mention black box dye a lot,...I don't know why? I mean I assume the reason is they can't get it out easy...? Quite funny, I used it two or three times on my own hair, it fades after a month of washing...Black henna dye on the other side, makes my life a living hell for over a year now and counting :D
I don't get the yellow bids, I only once bleached and not by my own choice, she did it even tho I said don't do it. It was yellow because there was nothing else except bleach on my very dark natural undyed hair. ( I wanted nicely shaded ombre and she gave me yellow hair so...)
Also anyone can explain the part with fixing colors? Whatever that is :D
I learned to cut it by myself, but coloring, if I ever want it again, I wouldn't do by myself again. But if I decide to go to a salon, I'm going to do a full month due diligence :D No stone unturned :D
Also number 50 is so not true. It's more like, we know what one inch is but hairdressers think it's 3 inches...

Bri-Chan
December 14th, 2020, 04:47 PM
I saw they mention black box dye a lot,...I don't know why? I mean I assume the reason is they can't get it out easy...? Quite funny, I used it two or three times on my own hair, it fades after a month of washing...Black henna dye on the other side, makes my life a living hell for over a year now and counting :D
I don't get the yellow bids, I only once bleached and not by my own choice, she did it even tho I said don't do it. It was yellow because there was nothing else except bleach on my very dark natural undyed hair. ( I wanted nicely shaded ombre and she gave me yellow hair so...)
Also anyone can explain the part with fixing colors? Whatever that is :D
I learned to cut it by myself, but coloring, if I ever want it again, I wouldn't do by myself again. But if I decide to go to a salon, I'm going to do a full month due diligence :D No stone unturned :D
Also number 50 is so not true. It's more like, we know what one inch is but hairdressers think it's 3 inches...

On my hair the different is huge.
One time I also had both a section dyed with box dye and another one with professional dye, both 1.0 black. I did a color remover and the box dye section stayed black, the other section went dark red.
I needed something like 4+ bleach to remove that dye with a specific bleaching powder.... Oh gosh, poor hair!

C_Bookworm
December 14th, 2020, 07:02 PM

:rollin: Unfortunately true! I’ve never had a hairdresser chop too much in one big chunk. It’s more like I’ll say “Cut one inch,” and they do, but then they go back over the area another three of four times and take an inch every time!