PDA

View Full Version : Tangled matted stiff hair (after coconut) may be the shampoo??

MeMyselfandI
March 23rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
I did a coconut oil treatment (on my hennaed hair).

When I washed it out I used L'Oreal Color vie for Dry and damaged hair.

As soon as I put the shampoo in my hair, I felt my hair become tangled and matted and very stiff. I could not get my hands through it. I rinsed the shampoo out.

I reshampooed with ABBA Moisture sensation shampoo. My hair felt soft and more manageable. I conditioned part of my hair. The part without the conditioner has a few tangles when I run my fingers through the wet hair.

I wonder if it is any of the ingredients in the shampoo, or was it just a coincidence.

My hair when tangled and matted felt the same way after the coconut milk treatment.

lavenderblue
March 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
I get very tangled and odd feeling hair from carols daughter rosemary-mint shampoo, its possible the shampoo has an ingredient your hair doesn't like, or maybe the shampoo can't wash out the oil your using

Velvettt
March 23rd, 2008, 09:31 AM
For a lot of people, including me, adding water to oiled hair == stiff, matted mess. If I have a lot of coconut oil on my hair, I have to coat it with conditioner before I wet it or I'm in trouble! Next time, try that. Apply lots of conditioner, let it soak for at least 15 min, then shampoo.

Carina
March 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Thank you so much for that tip,Velvettt.It's good to know the next time I'm going to wash out my heavy oiling.;)

Delila
March 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
I'll second the 'don't add water to oiled hair, start with conditioner' advice.

I don't CO often, since it generally isn't a workable routine for me, but I do CO when I oil my hair, because it's the only thing that removes the excess without any trouble.

spidermom
March 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
I've never had that happen with shampoo. I dilute it and squirt it all over my scalp, then run my fingers over my scalp from forehead or temples back toward nape. Even diluted, it gets the oil out.

I've had my hair matt down with baking soda, though.

Carina
March 23rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Baking soda was a nightmare in my hair to,spidermom.Extremly harsh.

Kirin
March 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Coconut oil contains protein, (If i'm not mistaken) your hair might not like protein, usually a good indicator of it is dry, matted, super haylike hair. Check your shampoo/condish for protein, with words like, milk, soy protein, egg, hydrolized, silk ect.

My hair will dry out like the saharah and totally nest up if i use too much protein in anything. Might be the case.

Flaxen
March 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Nope, no protein in coconut oil or any other oil. They're 100% fat. :smile:

Carina, my hair has an on-again, off-again like/dislike for coconut oil, but I had a very similar disaster with a coconut milk soak - stiff hair until it was finally washed out, which wasn't easy. shudder:

spidermom
March 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Ah - Flaxen beat me to it. I researched it awhile ago. No protein in coconut oil.

MeMyselfandI
March 23rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Thank you everyone for your imput and food for thought for me.

In this instance, I know it was not the water. Because when my hair was wet, all I could think was how will I get this oil off. My hair felt very greasy, but not tangled, matted or stiff.

I felt an instant change in texture when I added the shampoo. The texture of my hair improved when I put the other shampoo on it, and it improved even more with the conditioner.

Mahars
March 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
I can't use certain shampoos when I do heavy coconut oil treatments. Nexxus for example gives me the same results you had, MeMyselfandI. I'm not sure what ingredient is the culprit, but once I swiched to natural shampoos, none of which contain sulfates, my hair stopped turning stiff and gross from coconut oil.

I also agree with what others have said about putting conditioner on 15 or more minutes before a shower. I usually use a cheap conditioner like Whole Foods 365 and completely saturate my hair with it. It makes the oil much easier to wash out.

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM
ive found that my hennaed hair doesnt seem to like being pampered... and my hennaed hair hates coconut oil... it got greasy and stiff when i used it... have you tried camellia .... hedy's haven has some thats both good quality and inexpensive... beware of yellow looking camellia oil! they are full of yellow dyes and who knows what else... one drop is usually enough for a leave in... 1-2 teaspoons is enough for a deep treatment...