PDA

View Full Version : Protective hairstyles for APL hair

Carol92
December 10th, 2020, 07:32 PM
Hello!

I'm on the beggining of my journey to classic length hair, but it's still between shoulder and APL (two inches above APL, approximately) and I want to learn some protective hairstyles to protect my ends and avoid frequent trims due to damage, rubbing, sweat etc. I already use a sleeping cap at night, but I can't find material or tutorials for hair at my length...

Can you help me with some tricks and tips? I have a 2b wavy hair... :)

neko_kawaii
December 10th, 2020, 07:36 PM
Claw clips are your friends! You may not have the length for hair stick buns, but you can do french twists and peacock twists and cinnamon buns with claw clips at that length.

You can also do tucked french/dutch braids, Frida braids (with a scarf), and the eternal roll.

I'm sure others will be along with more ideas!

meepster
December 10th, 2020, 10:04 PM
Mine isn't even APL yet (it's still shorter than shoulder length) and I'm having a great time with sock buns. It's pretty much in a sock bun every day.

0xalis
December 11th, 2020, 01:53 AM
On top of claw clips, claw clips are the best thing ever, may I also suggest investing in a satin shirt for when you want to wear your hair down?
Same reason satin is good for pillowcases and sleep bonnets, it's good for clothing, it causes less friction damage to your hair.
I enjoy wearing my hair down around the house, and so I made sure to get a satin shirt, just for extra protection.
They're easy to find at thrift stores in both the sleepwear and blouses sections.

paulownia
December 11th, 2020, 05:46 AM
At this length ( hovering between collarbone and APL) I'm also able to do a pretty decent disc bun. Just held by a beak clip, not a stick.
Banana bun also works ( its basically a french twist with tucked ends.

ZoeZ
December 11th, 2020, 08:40 AM
I lived in claw clips when my hair was just at the in-between stage - also sprayed it into a helmet, :) - but it got me through the mullet year. I also used a claw clip with a decorative scrunchie over it.

FaeBroom
December 11th, 2020, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know where to get a claw clip that's not plastic? I may be reaching here, but I'm trying to avoid plastics + I like the aesthetic of wood/natural materials more.

cat11
December 11th, 2020, 10:28 AM
I also really liked beaded butterfly combs at that length to do peacock twsits and such. Its stretchy with a beaded middle and a comb on either side.

like this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911022372.html?src=bing&albslr=232206750&isdl=y

Carol92
December 11th, 2020, 07:26 PM
Claw clips are your friends! You may not have the length for hair stick buns, but you can do french twists and peacock twists and cinnamon buns with claw clips at that length.

You can also do tucked french/dutch braids, Frida braids (with a scarf), and the eternal roll.

I'm sure others will be along with more ideas!

Loved your ideas, I have some claw clips hanging around. I'll take some time to try new things with them.

I never managed to make dutch braids, I find it beautiful but mine always come up wonky... I guess I don't have the skill or never tried harder. But I'm pretty good with the simple ones.

I'm in love with the eternal roll, I found out some pictures and I love Edwardian/ Victorian era inspired hairstyles (I knew the hairstyle but not the name)!

Mine isn't even APL yet (it's still shorter than shoulder length) and I'm having a great time with sock buns. It's pretty much in a sock bun every day.

I'll try to make one for sure!

On top of claw clips, claw clips are the best thing ever, may I also suggest investing in a satin shirt for when you want to wear your hair down?
Same reason satin is good for pillowcases and sleep bonnets, it's good for clothing, it causes less friction damage to your hair.
I enjoy wearing my hair down around the house, and so I made sure to get a satin shirt, just for extra protection.
They're easy to find at thrift stores in both the sleepwear and blouses sections.

That was a really good idea! Never thought of it and I'll search for one or maybe make one!

At this length ( hovering between collarbone and APL) I'm also able to do a pretty decent disc bun. Just held by a beak clip, not a stick.
Banana bun also works ( its basically a french twist with tucked ends.

Definitely trying the banana bun!

I lived in claw clips when my hair was just at the in-between stage - also sprayed it into a helmet, :) - but it got me through the mullet year. I also used a claw clip with a decorative scrunchie over it.

Not into hairspray, I find it drying but I'll try to style better my hair with the claw clips I have!

I also really liked beaded butterfly combs at that length to do peacock twsits and such. Its stretchy with a beaded middle and a comb on either side.

like this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911022372.html?src=bing&albslr=232206750&isdl=y

Pretty! I often see some artisans selling this!

Lady Stardust
December 12th, 2020, 04:47 PM
This video is based on the lazy wrap bun, and works for shorter hair. I sometimes do a French plait and then bun the rest of the plait (my hair is APL).
https://youtu.be/Pb-CDSW1euU

luluj
December 12th, 2020, 06:21 PM
This video is based on the lazy wrap bun, and works for shorter hair. I sometimes do a French plait and then bun the rest of the plait (my hair is APL).

Thank-you for this link, Lady Stardust! I just tried it and it turned out great! :flower:

Carol92
December 12th, 2020, 09:11 PM

I really enjoyed this tutorial, thanks! The girl is with the exact same length as mine, the thickness is similar too. Perfect.

lapushka
December 13th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Good luck with whatever you try!

It is tough, APL, IMHO. It was too long to wear down (got in my way then already LOL) and too short to really start to bun. So I mostly did a peacock twist, which neko recommended and I fully stand by. It is easy, doesn't hurt and it's pretty!

As my hair grew it sort of turned into a log roll more because the tail was, well... just too long to wear loose (and longer again, that loose tail is a style all its own).

Lady Stardust
December 13th, 2020, 08:26 AM
Thank-you for this link, Lady Stardust! I just tried it and it turned out great! :flower:

Fantastic I’m glad it worked well for you! Someone shared the link on one of the growth threads some time ago and I’ve been doing it ever since.

I really enjoyed this tutorial, thanks! The girl is with the exact same length as mine, the thickness is similar too. Perfect.

Lovely, let us know how you get on!

It is tough, APL, IMHO. It was too long to wear down (got in my way then already LOL) and too short to really start to bun. So I mostly did a peacock twist, which neko recommended and I fully stand by. It is easy, doesn't hurt and it's pretty!

As my hair grew it sort of turned into a log roll more because the tail was, well... just too long to wear loose (and longer again, that loose tail is a style all its own).

I love the peacock twist but I found a bun to be much more comfortable. It’s an advantage of having hair on the lower side of ii, it’s possible to do buns more easily at shorter lengths :)

I’d like to try a French twist but I don’t think my hair is quite long enough for it. I think a log roll is similar though?

lapushka
December 13th, 2020, 10:38 AM
Fantastic I’m glad it worked well for you! Someone shared the link on one of the growth threads some time ago and I’ve been doing it ever since.

I love the peacock twist but I found a bun to be much more comfortable. It’s an advantage of having hair on the lower side of ii, it’s possible to do buns more easily at shorter lengths :)

I’d like to try a French twist but I don’t think my hair is quite long enough for it. I think a log roll is similar though?

A log roll is centered, and lays on top of the head. A French twist is a liiiittle off to the side and tucked under. But the mechanisms aren't that different! Depending on how you do a French twist!

Carol92
December 13th, 2020, 08:20 PM

Thank you! And I completely agree with you, this kind of medium length hair/shoulder-to-APL for me is the trickiest, mainly because of the limited amount of easy hairstyles. That's why I made this thread, I'm in need of help. :p

I've been using the peacock twist daily for this week. Growing longer I guess more styles will become easier gradually. By this time I will practice the options available (I'm still a mess styling my hair)!

I will, for sure! As soon as I have the permission, I'll start posting pictures, it will be funnier! (Long time lurker, only started posting now)