PDA

View Full Version : So long - it's annoying - hair wrestling?

autumnphyre
December 9th, 2020, 07:56 AM
Have you been through this phase?

I've been growing my hair for 6 years now and it's pretty much at my goal length with the longest bits hanging around about the top of my hip bones/where my trousers start. It's definitely in need of a good trim, but I've been shielding because of covid all year and I'm terrified to cut it myself (I almost want to see how long I can get it before I go back to my hair dressers!).

But recently, as MUCH as I want to keep growing my hair and love having long hair, I'm finding it's E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E!
I feel like I'm constantly wrestling to get it out of my face, it's tangled it my jumper, my bra, my scarf, my blanket, the cat, my coat, in the washing up bowl - even if it's tied up it's somehow being irksome and in the way.

I'm hoping it's just at an awkward length that I'm unfamiliar with as it's never been this long and I'll eventually get used to it. I'm starting the curly girl method once I finish this latest bottle of shampoo so that could help. I'm hoping this will give it more life because it's darned frizzy for the last year too and it looks like a miserable haystack..

Do you have any tips or tricks that might help? New styles (that aren't too time consuming, damaging or cold for the winter), treatments or things you do when you need a change of scene? What do you do to get your hair out of the way?

lapushka
December 9th, 2020, 08:02 AM
Oooh welcome back! :)

Are you still wearing it down at hip? If that's your wish, cool, but yeah, it comes with shedding... all over the place.

I would try a LWB (lazy wrap bun). Zesty on here has a good, short but sweet, tutorial for that one! And a Nautilus. Those are my staples so far.

ZoeZ
December 9th, 2020, 08:10 AM
Even though I collect all fallen hairs, from my comb and pick up all the hairs I see (on my clothes, etc) and I keep my hair up all the time - it's everywhere. I comb out daily and then it goes up in a clip and still - hair everywhere! I wish I knew the solution. I'm not even at waist yet either.

I do feel for those SO's who have to live with long hairs. :)

Zesty
December 9th, 2020, 08:28 AM
I would suggest wearing it up. If it's still in your way when you have it up, maybe it would help to learn more updos? There are a million out there ranging from absurdly easy to very complicated, and I would be surprised if you can't find at least one that suits you (practically and aesthetically) and keeps it from annoying you.

This is the YouTube video for the LWB that lapushka mentioned, by the way: https://youtu.be/H8V_ry6Dv9M YouTube in general is a great way to learn new styles.

As for me personally, it depends on the activity. Very high buns can be super cute and do a great job of keeping it out of the way if that's what I need.

MusicalSpoons
December 9th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Buns. Then the only hair you have to deal with throughout the day are short wispies :) With shed hair, only having it down / combing or brushing it / putting it up in the same room would massively help to limit how many make it out into the rest of the house. Once you've practised and got the hang of some simpler bun styles, you'll probably be able to put your hair up in under a minute so not time-consuming at all!

lapis_lazuli
December 9th, 2020, 11:06 AM
It really could just be an awkward length and actually get better as it grows, but yes, wearing it up will give you some reprieve from it. A LWB contains my hair pretty well. And yeah, shed hair, shed hair everywhere...no escaping that one.

knobbly
December 9th, 2020, 11:21 AM
In addition to what everyone else said, I find it helpful to only play with or comb in one location, and that location is over a solid (non-carpeted) floor. This way I pick up my sheds before they migrate elsewhere and get stuck in socks/carpets or ingested by the dog lol. I also cut hairs out of my vacuum brush about every other time I use it, to keep my vacuum happy.

lapushka
December 9th, 2020, 01:26 PM
This is the YouTube video for the LWB that lapushka mentioned, by the way: https://youtu.be/H8V_ry6Dv9M YouTube in general is a great way to learn new styles.

:thumbsup: Thank you so much. I forgot where it was. And I didn't bookmark it because well... I know my LWB by heart. ;)

Finda
December 9th, 2020, 01:40 PM
My hair has hip length and I don't think I could venture outside with my hair down. Especially when I'm carrying a bag my hair gets stuck every time. Or it gets stuck in my coat's zippers. Also it now has a length were it gets in the way when I bend forward. And when you're out to protect your hair it drives you crazy every time your hair catches in something. I wear braids, or even better, buns, because now even braids start to get caught in stuff.

Amenahh
December 9th, 2020, 01:52 PM
Hey, our hair is the same length! If I leave it down, my hair is also everywhere. However, especially now that I'm at home all the time due to covid, I'm wearing it in a twisted bun /cinnamon bun (is there a difference?) either on the top of my head, or low at my nape. I secure it with 2 claw clips, and I find that the most comfy style there is. I really recommend trying this for a few days, it's protective, super easy, and very comfortable. When I'm outside, I either do the same and secure it with a stick, or I do a nautilus bun, which is also very easy.

The benefits of wearing a bun all day are that your hair will no longer annoy you, you won't shed everywhere, and you'll also protect it. I also sleep with my hair in a simple braid because otherwise I can't handle my hair being everywhere. I actually tried sleeping with my hair down last night, and after 10 minutes of battle, my hair won and I braided it...

Your hair looks beautiful in your avatar, hope you find a way to make it work! :)

cat11
December 9th, 2020, 02:34 PM
Welllll that's just what hair does at that length. It will get caught on things and go everywhere and tangle sometimes. At your length I loved milkmaid braids. They are so quick when you put them up with two claw clips on either side above the ear. As many others have said, buns are great. LWB, nessa bun, cinnamon bun, pretzel bun, celtic knot bun are all ones you could probably do at hip. When I want to leave a little out I do a LWB And just leave the last wrap or two out of the bun. Regular old braids are great too.

SnowSpot
December 27th, 2020, 01:27 AM
I’m also at the length where I feel the hair is on the way and sheds everywhere. I’m only at Waist but even braids get cought in everything when I put on my clothes or leave the house. It also seems to tangle more and I have had to practise a new way of brushing: I can’t brush the whole length with one sweep anymore, my arm just isn’t long enough.

Like many have said, buns buns buns. My current everyday savers are L-finity Bun and Hypno Bun. They seem to hold super well at my length. Sometimes if I want it to hold extra tight, I make a Braided Hypno Bun.

Natalia_A00
December 27th, 2020, 06:37 AM
My hair covers most of my butt, so I know how you feel!
It always gets tangled around my arms, in clothes... I hate it because I know that means damage
Also, for me it's super annoying when I get out of the shower and I have to get ready to get out fast, because my hair dampens my trousers...

MusicalSpoons
December 27th, 2020, 07:21 AM
My hair covers most of my butt, so I know how you feel!
It always gets tangled around my arms, in clothes... I hate it because I know that means damage
Also, for me it's super annoying when I get out of the shower and I have to get ready to get out fast, because my hair dampens my trousers...

Put it up with an acrylic stick until you're ready to deal with it?

lapis_lazuli
December 27th, 2020, 09:18 AM
^Or clip it into a peacock twist. That always works for me.

spidermom
December 27th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Yes. I thought classic length was going to be so cool, and I must admit that it did look great in photographs. Otherwise it was all over the place when I wore it down and a pain in the head when I wore it up most of the time. There were days when I got exactly the right bun with exactly the right tension in exactly the right place and it stayed comfortable all day. Otherwise I was putting my hair up and taking it back down and putting it back up off and on all day long. I had similar problems with braids, plus the hairs that worked free from the plaits waved around and tangled up with each other.

I ended up getting my hair cut back to collarbone length in 2016 and liked it so much that I kept it for 2 years. Now that the memory of how irritated I was with my long hair has faded, I'm growing it out again. I must be insane.

Natalia_A00
December 27th, 2020, 05:20 PM
Put it up with an acrylic stick until you're ready to deal with it?

honestly I struggle doing updos, I have to practice

MusicalSpoons
December 27th, 2020, 06:02 PM
honestly I struggle doing updos, I have to practice

My hair actually holds better when it's wet. I just put it into a loose LWB with an acrylic stick and it can hold for hours (I do the same with conditioner on for hours before a wash, as well as when I need it off my back during the shower, and afterwards the shower, before I put it into a towel). If I tried that on dry hair it would fall out instantly!

elise.autumn
December 27th, 2020, 07:25 PM
In addition to buns, I also like a simple braid to get it quickly out of the way.

The-Young-Maid
December 27th, 2020, 08:03 PM
All I do for my hair is a braid lol Either a single braid or twin braids. Buns are better if you can find a comfortable/quick one but I only get headaches so idk which to recommend. I also only comb my hair in certain places to that the shed hair is easy to collect.

meepster
December 27th, 2020, 10:11 PM
Yeah, my hair sheds like crazy too, and it's coarse so the shed hair is really obvious, and the only thing that I found to help is to wear it up all the time. It's basically always in a bun. At my current length, all I can manage is a sock bun, so I just do that. It's very comfortable.