PDA

View Full Version : Clip In Extensions

Spitfire
December 8th, 2020, 03:36 PM
Is anyone else using clip-in extensions to "fake it till 'ya make it?" I've been using extensions from Sally's (barely xtensions brand with the comb clips) on a near daily basis since I've been growing my hair back out after The Chop. I got another short trim to get rid of the last bits of misery (lol) and now I'm well on my way, but I like having long hair so I clip in some extensions.
Are there any precautions I should be taking with these to minimize damage from application/removal besides the obvious (don't rip, don't shower with them in, don't use on wet hair, don't sleep in them, etc etc)? I know they put some stress on the hair but I can't really go without long hair. Would buying a wig be better?
Any tips and experiences appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
SF :) :flower:

lapushka
December 8th, 2020, 03:40 PM
No I think clip-ins are fine. Especially if you are being careful (not sleeping in them, etc.).

I don't think a wig would necessarily be better, especially if you have a problematic scalp, clip-ins are more "breathable" for the scalp at least, so there's that.

Happy Holidays... actually talking of that... I think I will make a thread for the Holidays. :D

Dark40
December 8th, 2020, 09:38 PM
I second lapushka. I used to wear clip in extensions many years ago. I really enjoyed them. Because, I also love having long hair as well. But, I've decided to stay away from any type of extensions for awhile. Because, they can cause damage to your hair and scalp. So, I've been growing out my own hair instead.

momof3mary
December 9th, 2020, 09:46 AM
Not gonna lie, if I could afford them and blend them correctly, I'd wear all the extensions🤘😂

Spitfire
December 9th, 2020, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replies!!
Sounds like it's reasonable to keep using them as long as I stay cautious with them. I'll stay away from wigs because my scalp does tend to itch up if I'm not careful.

Not gonna lie, if I could afford them and blend them correctly, I'd wear all the extensions����

Oh yes haha--blending them is a pain, especially since my hair is blunt cut at the ends. A little oil/leave in weighs it down and smooths it into the extensions and it looks really good, at least that works for my hair.

bparnell75
December 9th, 2020, 11:24 AM
I do wear them, occasionally, not for length, but for thickness or for color strips many of mine are turquoise or purple.

lapushka
December 9th, 2020, 01:15 PM
I think I might get a small clip-in of a colorful streak in future. That way I won't have to dye my hair (or bleach/color it for the "intensity" because my hair's too dark) and I can have all the fun with it, and just take it out if I'm done. :thumbsup:

Alexandrina
December 13th, 2020, 10:46 PM
I do wear them, occasionally, not for length, but for thickness or for color strips many of mine are turquoise or purple.

oooh thanks for bringing this up, I totally forgot I used to do this back in high school! It's been sooo many years ago that is slipped my mind, was nice to think about. I should get some more!

(My high school did not allow any unnatural colors in hair, they were very strict with the dress code. So that is why I had a bunch of different ones with different colors to change streaks and looks when I wanted to on the weekends)

WyntreBlossom
December 14th, 2020, 06:36 AM
I tried extensions once but my hair is SO THIN/FINE that once all the tracks were in my hair you could literally SEE. THEM through my hair.

wishy
December 14th, 2020, 02:29 PM
I tried extensions once but my hair is SO THIN/FINE that once all the tracks were in my hair you could literally SEE. THEM through my hair.

I am scared to try clip ins for the same reason. I did purchase a cheapy halo extension from Amazon because I was excited to see what I'd look like at my goal length. I can kind of make it work if I set it to rest a bit lower on the back of my head. Plus it's less damaging than clip ins which you know is a big deal for fine hair!

Spitfire, you could try halo extensions if you're worried about damage (I think you can even transform clip ins into halos if you can get the clip off. I've seem some tutorials on youtube). Or just make sure not to wear them in the same spots every day.

Auksaplauke
April 28th, 2021, 02:15 AM
I like clip in extensions, but natural hair good quality extensions cost alot, i purchased sintetic from aliexpress for cheap, i will try it, also want to try halo hair extensions.