PDA

View Full Version : Important question...help!

Sparkles122
December 6th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Hello. I have a question for someone with more experience with ingredients than myself. Ive been using the Suave almond and shea butter conditioner pretty much exclusively. I wash my hair with the Biolage hydrasource shampoo and have done so for the past 6+ years. Its pretty much holy grail. When I first started using the suave it was great, i almost wanted to call it a holy grail. However, more recently ive noticed my hair to be drier, more brittle and definitely knottier. I dont dye my hair. Dye or bleach has not touched my hair in over 2 years (early november of 2018 ). The only thing I do use is Adore semi permanent, the one mostly in the white bottles because I know the newer ones in the purple bottles contain protein. My question is could the Suave contain some sort of protein that I am missing or maybe my hair does not like the shea butter? I posted the ingredients below maybe someone can help me figure it out. I used pantene daily moisture renewal today. I has a much shorter ingredients list that are more recognizable to me. It did not make my hair feel like the suave.

https://i.postimg.cc/qhZkKR0r/583-F2-C61-E0-E2-4-CEF-8-E07-DAA82-DFD302-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/qhZkKR0r)

Ylva
December 6th, 2020, 06:12 PM
There is no protein in that product. Shea butter does tend to make my hair feel a bit dry and rough, so my vote could be on that one. Is your hair generally OK with silicones?

Sparkles122
December 6th, 2020, 06:16 PM
There is no protein in that product. Shea butter does tend to make my hair feel a bit dry and rough, so my vote could be on that one. Is your hair generally OK with silicones?

Yes, it seems to be ok with silicones. I generally do the silicone free shampoo and then follow up with a silicone conditioner. I was thinking it was the shea butter also. It’s almost like a sticky, dry, brittle, knotty feeling. Not usually immediately after I wash my hair but the next day and the day after that is absolutely awful.

Ylva
December 6th, 2020, 06:18 PM
Does your shampoo contain sulfates? Do you clarify from time to time? Just want to make sure you're not suffering from some sort of buildup. Shea butter tends to cause that easily, too.

neko_kawaii
December 6th, 2020, 06:21 PM
Shea makes my hair feel sticky and dry. I’d clarify, moisturize and avoid the shea for a while and see what happens.

Sparkles122
December 6th, 2020, 06:22 PM
Does your shampoo contain sulfates? Do you clarify from time to time? Just want to make sure you're not suffering from some sort of buildup. Shea butter tends to cause that easily, too.

I believe there is sulfates in the shampoo. I basically only use this shampoo, I cant remember the last time I used a different one. When I do use a different one its the Pantene sheer volume. Here is the ingredients list for the biolage

https://i.postimg.cc/phqM6NQq/7-D6-E2-BBB-2-C52-4-F6-B-B376-596-B94-D716-FA.jpg (https://postimg.cc/phqM6NQq)

Sparkles122
December 6th, 2020, 06:28 PM
Shea makes my hair feel sticky and dry. I’d clarify, moisturize and avoid the shea for a while and see what happens.

I used the pantene daily moisture renewal conditioner today, and it definitely feels different..in a good way though, not so...sticky/knotty.

Obsidian
December 6th, 2020, 07:17 PM
I agree that you might need a good, heavy duty clarifying wash and possibly chelating too.
Suave daily clarifying is a great shampoo, it will take out all your product build up.
For chelating, joico clarifying is the best I've found. When my hair gets weird and sticky, the joico does a great job of removing the mineral build up.

Sparkles122
December 6th, 2020, 07:45 PM
I agree that you might need a good, heavy duty clarifying wash and possibly chelating too.
Suave daily clarifying is a great shampoo, it will take out all your product build up.
For chelating, joico clarifying is the best I've found. When my hair gets weird and sticky, the joico does a great job of removing the mineral build up.

That’s a good idea. I think they sell the suave daily clarifying in my dollar tree. I was headed there tomorrow anyway. Ill get some and try that on next wash. What does chelating mean?

Ylva
December 7th, 2020, 02:41 AM
That’s a good idea. I think they sell the suave daily clarifying in my dollar tree. I was headed there tomorrow anyway. Ill get some and try that on next wash. What does chelating mean?

Chelators such as EDTA, which you will sometimes see as an ingredient, will remove mineral deposits from hair (or stuff like excess iron from the body, but of course, you wouldn't use shampoo for that).

lapushka
December 7th, 2020, 04:58 AM
Looks like you're well on your way. After a couple messages in this thread, I wanted to ask about sulfates in the shampoo & clarifying. LOL. But you guys got it! I am seconding it all!!!

That Pantene shampoo should do quite a bit already (the volumizing one is quite good at clarifying). But a dedicated shampoo for that purpose might even be better. And you'll have those for a long time.

You only need to clarify 1 to 2 times a month, depending on how much you wash and put product down that can build up on the hair. I used to clarify every 6 washes (1.5 month, weekly washer), but I now "scrub" really well, sudsing up also the lengths, every week. It gives me a clean slate for my styling products.

You haven't mentioned if you use any styling products like leave-ins, gels, that kind of thing. But if you do, definitely clarify and/or chelate! And even the lengths!!! Suds up those, once in a while too!

Good luck & keep us posted! :D

Dark40
December 7th, 2020, 08:58 AM
I used the pantene daily moisture renewal conditioner today, and it definitely feels different..in a good way though, not so...sticky/knotty.

Oh, I love pantene daily moisture renewal products and the conditioner, and just to let you know....there is a new version out! And, I've just tested it this month! And, the shampoo and conditioner is awesome! I also love how it doesn't leave your hair feeling not so...sticky/knotty too.