PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: even after a trim, why do ends stick together?

LoungeLady
December 5th, 2020, 05:29 AM
I have fine thin hair - finally BSL. I’ve never had long hair in my 40+ years so I’m learning so much from you all. What I don’t get is that I have healthy virgin hair.... I got a trim after 3 years of no cutting. But why is it that it seems like just the very ends stick together say after a walk or whatever? Any pointers? Hair seems great after washing.... I use a wooden comb and only comb once dry or 95% dry.... I’m sure it’s a simple answer but I’m new to this after never believing my fine thin hair could be long. Thanks in advance!

LoungeLady
December 5th, 2020, 06:08 AM
I should add. I don’t use hair products outside of S&C except.... at night, I’ll use a leave in coconut oil (hask) or Aveeno almond oil blend. I feel like the ends stick together even on wash day (before I use either of these) but maybe they are a problem. I feel like my hair absorbs them overnight (silk bonnet worn).... anyhow I’m pretty uneducated when it comes to hair.....

Briar.Rose
December 5th, 2020, 06:49 AM
If it’s healthy hair maybe it is forming a natural curl? My hair is wavy and the ends. I praying hands over it then scrunch gently with a bit of water and leave in conditioner on my hands.

Feral_
December 5th, 2020, 06:52 AM
If your hair is good after washing then the leave in oils might be the cause. Some folk find oiling the length attracts lint and other build up, this would make the ends stick together more. You could try less oiling or a different lighter one than coconut, also putting it in a more protective style so it’s not loose on walks etc.

Lady Stardust
December 5th, 2020, 07:08 AM
Your hair sounds lovely!

It could be that the ends are rubbing on your clothes during your walk. My ends stick together if my hair is down when I go out, so I keep it up and out of the way.

I agree that the leave in could be causing build up, or maybe there’s more protein in it than your hair likes?

I hope you find a solution.

lapushka
December 5th, 2020, 07:20 AM
What's your texture like? It may be that it's wavy, or even has some curl to it and then dry combing or brushing (without re-wetting / misting) is a giant no-no.

Congrats on BSL, though. And welcome! :D

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Have you done a hairtyping picture? It sounds like clumping to me (or what many people call 'stringiness' on what they think is straight hair ;) I used to!)

The other suggestions are good too, but if your hair otherwise feels fine then clumping definitely gets my vote.

LoungeLady
December 5th, 2020, 08:27 AM
So many options- thank you for the replies! You know, it’s not *as* stick straight as it used to be.... I’ve sure never had wavy hair but maybe if it’s trying to head that way...?
I’ve never heard of hairtyping so off to google that one....
I’ll be looking into these suggestions. Thank you all for always coming through! “Good” to hear it could just be clothes I’m wearing or that it can stick anyhow and still be healthy. I just have this idea of always running my hands through my hair to the ends (like I always did when it was shorter). I wonder if that’s just a unicorn for fine thin long hair. Thank you all for the ideas to check out. If it’s trying to go wavy, that’s a whole new language!!!

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2020, 08:33 AM
Hairtyping instructions are in this post: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252 :)

lapushka
December 5th, 2020, 06:05 PM
So many options- thank you for the replies! You know, it’s not *as* stick straight as it used to be.... I’ve sure never had wavy hair but maybe if it’s trying to head that way...?
I’ve never heard of hairtyping so off to google that one....
I’ll be looking into these suggestions. Thank you all for always coming through! “Good” to hear it could just be clothes I’m wearing or that it can stick anyhow and still be healthy. I just have this idea of always running my hands through my hair to the ends (like I always did when it was shorter). I wonder if that’s just a unicorn for fine thin long hair. Thank you all for the ideas to check out. If it’s trying to go wavy, that’s a whole new language!!!

Oh no definitely don't do that! :(

LoungeLady
December 5th, 2020, 08:56 PM
Oh no definitely don't do that! :( hmm why not? Oh no, I’m a lost cause, aren’t I??!!

MsPharaohMoan
December 5th, 2020, 09:32 PM
No lost cause, you're learning! Fine hair tangles easily, the longer the hairs the more opportunity for them to throw parties together :lol:

sipnsun
December 6th, 2020, 06:08 AM
Our hair type sounds similar and if it's mostly happening after a workout it's probably from sweat. Mine sticks together terribly after a run from the salt in my sweat and I have to rinse it out or it looks like a rat's tail down my back and I can't get a comb through it.

spidermom
December 6th, 2020, 02:13 PM
You don't give much information so this is a guess, but if you haven't, get some clarifying shampoo and give your hair a good wash from scalp to ends. All kinds of conditioning products can build up and cause your hair to get grabby or sticky or dry. Clarifying usually gives good results unless you do it too often.

lapushka
December 6th, 2020, 02:42 PM
hmm why not? Oh no, I’m a lost cause, aren’t I??!!

Because it's possible due to the length to snag and tug and pull hairs out or loosen them, that would not yet have loosened or come out otherwise, it's mechanical damage. Short hair, it's fine, you run through it very easily, but... I mean... you don't experience it when you run your hands through how uneasy that is?