PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gift advice for natural/kinky/curly hair

captainjanuary
December 4th, 2020, 08:53 PM
I'm wondering if someone could give me some gift ideas for a new friend of my family (sibling's new girlfriend) who is coming to Christmas this year and who has kinky/curly hair?

I think she has 3c/4a hair (I'm not great with discerning hair types with charts). It is lovely, voluminous hair that has fairly well-defined ringlets. I know from social media that she takes pride in her hair and is growing it out. She's on a natural hair journey and trying to keep it healthy, trying to maintain length, and has expressed that she gets a lot of pressure from employers and society to straighten it (so I'd like to validate that it is beautiful the way that it is). Her career is also public-facing, so looking good is part of her brand.

I have a lot of interest in hair of all types (*waves*), so I'm generally aware of gift-able products that might be welcome, but I'm wondering if there's anything else or brands people with this hair type would recommend?

I was thinking some silk products--like silk scrunchies or pillow cases from etsy, maybe some natural care masks or bars (like from henna sooq), or something like that? Instagrammable packaging would be a plus because that's her thing. I guess I've latched onto the idea of hair products or accessories because I'd like to avoid just giving her a scented candle or some other generic gift. Any ideas?

blackgothicdoll
December 4th, 2020, 09:07 PM
This is such a nice and thoughtful idea. :o

If you're locked on hair products, I'd try multipurpose products like the oil here: https://melaninhaircare.com/

The packaging is a nice reminder, super giftable, and I do like that oil if that helps. I find it's hard to suggest hair products because there is definitely so much experimentation needed - but if she's in the exploration phase of her hair journey, products won't hurt at all either! I like that store because she's a Youtuber I follow (Naptural85). Definitely instagrammable.

Outside of that, I do like the ideas of things like satin pillowcases (neutral, always useable) pretty scrunchies if you notice she currently wears them, etc.

Hopefully others have some good ideas too! I suck at gift giving haha but I find that items with multiple uses but that show the teensiest bit of thought are wonderful gifts on their own.

captainjanuary
December 4th, 2020, 09:47 PM
Oo, thanks for the store recommendation--very instagrammable/gift-able! The oil is all sold out, but I've requested an alert for when it is back in stock, so hopefully it'll come back in time for Christmas.

She doesn't currently wear scrunchies (that I've seen) but she does have what seems to be a favorite photo of herself from when she was little that she often re-posts on IG in which she is wearing one, so there might be some sentimental value to having a few luxurious feeling scrunchies to wear around the house.

blackgothicdoll
December 4th, 2020, 09:57 PM
Oo, thanks for the store recommendation--very instagrammable/gift-able! The oil is all sold out, but I've requested an alert for when it is back in stock, so hopefully it'll come back in time for Christmas.

She doesn't currently wear scrunchies (that I've seen) but she does have what seems to be a favorite photo of herself from when she was little that she often re-posts on IG in which she is wearing one, so there might be some sentimental value to having a few luxurious feeling scrunchies to wear around the house.

Of course it's sold out! I didn't do it though I swear :o

The scrunchies sound like a wonderful idea then.

baanoo
December 5th, 2020, 06:01 AM
I think (if the oil isn’t restocked in time) a pair of silk pillowcases and a pretty scrunchie would be a great holiday gift from a new-SO’s family member.

lapushka
December 5th, 2020, 07:29 AM
Oooh yes, the Melanin hair care by Naptural89 is amazing, I hear! You hear nothing but good things, but they are on the pricier side, so a real splurge item and not something you just quickly buy for yourself, so I second that idea wholeheartedly! Well I say "splurge" because shipping can be deadly (don't know if they fixed that or not), but you get a lot of product for your money, so there's that!

The silk pillow case: do that, for sure. Silk bonnet might be nice too, an Etsy one, those are pretty luxurious! I can't recall the store but there was one store that was definitely popular around here. If someone could remind me, please? :o

So nice of you to think of that! :D

Brethil
December 5th, 2020, 08:21 AM
I thought about getting a puff cuff for my friend with thick curly hair. I can't vouch for if they work, since I ended up getting something else instead.

curly girl fla
December 5th, 2020, 10:51 AM
I thought about getting a puff cuff for my friend with thick curly hair. I can't vouch for if they work, since I ended up getting something else instead.

I was thinking this as well, but it may be hard to guess the perfect size for someone else-maybe a multi-set? (I ordered the teeny size to pull my hair half-up, and they should be in mailbox today. I currently use round banana clips or round claw clips, but these look so much better.)

blackgothicdoll
December 5th, 2020, 10:51 AM
Oooh yes, the Melanin hair care by Naptural89 is amazing, I hear! You hear nothing but good things, but they are on the pricier side, so a real splurge item and not something you just quickly buy for yourself, so I second that idea wholeheartedly! Well I say "splurge" because shipping can be deadly (don't know if they fixed that or not), but you get a lot of product for your money, so there's that!

I think if you spend $45 or more, you get free shipping* - that's how I got around it. I can never go in and just buy one product, I have to stock up in order for it to be worth it, and at that point it's a pretty good deal with the volume and quality of product you get.

*this might only be in the States though. I remember watching a YouTube outside of the state's and she said the same thing about shipping alone preventing her from repurchasing - she ended up spending a lot for one product :(

Upside Down
December 5th, 2020, 12:01 PM
One thing I never got myself and have wanted to (but forgot :lol: ) for years is a silk sleep bonnet :) supposedly it should oreserve curl shape for way longer.

So there is an idea :)

lapushka
December 5th, 2020, 03:08 PM
I think if you spend $45 or more, you get free shipping* - that's how I got around it. I can never go in and just buy one product, I have to stock up in order for it to be worth it, and at that point it's a pretty good deal with the volume and quality of product you get.

*this might only be in the States though. I remember watching a YouTube outside of the state's and she said the same thing about shipping alone preventing her from repurchasing - she ended up spending a lot for one product :(

Yes international shipping is a totally different beast. I keep getting "deal" offers from the store where I buy my glasses/frames and last offer was with free shipping (in the US, but it didn't state that). So I tried to check out and it wanted to add on $19 for international shipping. Never got rid of my basket so fast!

captainjanuary
December 5th, 2020, 06:27 PM
I think (if the oil isn’t restocked in time) a pair of silk pillowcases and a pretty scrunchie would be a great holiday gift from a new-SO’s family member.

I'm glad that this seems like a good idea to other people!

The silk pillow case: do that, for sure. Silk bonnet might be nice too, an Etsy one, those are pretty luxurious! I can't recall the store but there was one store that was definitely popular around here. If someone could remind me, please?

I didn't realize the Melanin hair care store owner was a user here!

Please link the store if you or anyone else remembers. There are so many people on Etsy selling "silk" but I don't know what is good quality or not.

I had never heard of this (my hair is the furthest thing from being able to handle an accessory like that!). I'll squirrel that away to the back of my mind in case it seems like something I could get in the future once I know her better.

One thing I never got myself and have wanted to (but forgot :lol: ) for years is a silk sleep bonnet :) supposedly it should oreserve curl shape for way longer.

So there is an idea :)

Thank you for the idea!

lapushka
December 5th, 2020, 06:29 PM
I didn't realize the Melanin hair care store owner was a user here!

No, she's on YT. I don't think she's here.

squirrrel
December 6th, 2020, 01:45 AM
hose are pretty luxurious! I can't recall the store but there was one store that was definitely popular around here. If someone could remind me, please?

Are you thinking of AdorabellaBaby: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/AdorabellaBaby?ref=cart_shop_name_click&cart_id=3844600973

lapushka
December 6th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Are you thinking of AdorabellaBaby: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/AdorabellaBaby?ref=cart_shop_name_click&cart_id=3844600973

Yes, I think that was it! Thanks for that! :D :thumbsup: